• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense let's talk about the Limon chinense

this is a new variety for me to grow and eat. I got the seeds from Peppermania (thankyou Beth) http://www.peppermania.com/chinense_23.html - I also got some fatalii from here and they germed very quickly also.

the seeds were quick to germinate (100%) and grew very quickly to the 12-15cm (5-6inch) mark and have great looking dark green glossy leaves, very healthy looking seedlings. I planted them out around 10 days ago and they have developed well since then.

can anyone who has grown or eaten these give me some idea on the approx number of pods I can expect from a healthy plant? what about heat and flavour? they apparently have a lemony aroma and flavour. at Peppermania they list it as a chinense (as does thechileman.org) however they say it is an Aji - does this mean it is a baccatum? or is it one of those varieties that no-one is totally sure about? I'm sure I'll know if it's baccatum due to the miniature treelike plant they grow, quite distinct from annuums and chinenses which I normally grow (from what I've experienced at least), I don't know whether you'd agree with me but the baccatums I've grown look like little trees to me.

I've never grown it yet but I here its a good one, and its a C. chinense. Aji really just means pepper.

I wasn't too sure about the use of Aji as it seems to be used mostly with the baccatums. I've got high hopes for this one as it's my 'new' variety for this season, well it's one of my new ones at least.

Limon is a great pepper lovely deep citrus taste gets confused and mixed up with Aji Lemon drop, and hot lemon both Baccatums,But limon adds that c.chinese taste to the mix,Mossman Lemon yellow are also very very nice :lol:

hopefully they turn out ok talas - I've got five underway, I'll see how they go. hopefully I'll get some pure seed for next season.

Its one of those peppers thats get left out of its hotter or more fashionable rivals..To me its just fantastic pepper alround,Great with fish or chicken,To Can,Powder or rub etc and has a wonderful deep taste and pleasant heat,Do not blame you growing 5 my friend
:lol:

I've never grown it, but it sounds very good indeed. Please keep us posted on your progress and post some pics when you have pods.

You are right, a lot of baccatum varieties are named Aji and Potawie is right in saying it means "pepper", but like you, seeing a pepper named Aji something makes me think it's a baccatum and in most cases this is true. Don't ask me why though! :lol:

Go nice with some champion,growing a few lemon hybrids next year and carnt wait to try them..wish it was a moth to fruit lol..Be great..Fantastic even,No what you mean about Aji i always thing the same but of course they cover nearly all the popular C. variety's :lol:

I plan on growing at least one new variety each year but I can't go crazy with the number plants I grow due to limited space. I grow plenty of really hot pods so my new one can be anything that I like the look of. next year the Turbo Pube may get a run based on one of the other threads on here.

I'll post updates and pics (if I work out how) when the pods arrive.

chilliman64 said:
can anyone who has grown or eaten these give me some idea on the approx number of pods I can expect from a healthy plant?

I have three of those growing and they produce a bunch of pods...expect over 300 per plant...

had a lot but 300 hundred A.J damn nice one..That damn pressure cooker must have burnt out buy now :shocked:

all I can figure talas is it must be the botanicare products I am using...all my plants are still loaded with pods and I will have another good harvest this coming saturday...I have two quart freezer baggies bulging with dehydrated limons now...this coming weekend I will make some concentrate with what I pick...

A.J Vodka loves those pods..A match made in heaven :)

botanicare products mm sounds interesting haven't or heard of them before,Which of there products,If you don't mind me asking ?

I use the Pure Blend Pro for growth, Pure Blend Pro soil for flowering fruiting, the about once a month I will give them a shot of Liquid Karma and Cal-Mag

this combination has worked wonders for my peppers, especially the limons..

Thx A.J had that many people tell me to use this and that and those
seem good price nutrients indeed,The liquid karma sounds great the pure blend pro soil ive just found a place selling it in the u.k cheers for the Knowledge and Time A.J :)

talas said:
Did do a lemon Drop Cross and got seed we will see how it turns out
:lol:

That's cool. How many crosses have you done? I am just curious because I was wondering how hard it is to get the cross to take, etc.

A large number but of course a large amount either dont take or the cross just doesn't Produce Viable seed,Its Trial and error and determine which cross you thing may work not just in heat bot of course Flavor and the simplest ones sometimes produce the most Unusual Crosses :lol:

Back