• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Light times? help?

Hey hey....just wondering what the optimum light times for chillis are in the flowering period? I have several big bhuts etc that i want to try and keep flowering over winter....what times would be the best?

Cheers
Scorp

I always say the more light the better, although a little rest period can be helpful. If you do a forum search there has been a lot of discussion on this topic. Forget the 12/12 that's for other plants, peppers don't react to photoperiod for flowering

IMO: 18 on- 6 off & dont let the cupboard drop below 15degree celcius. Try keep it at 25-31 degree. I use this under 1000W HPS + UVB (2MX2M ebb&flow) [ canna flower A&B with touch of canna grow A&B and a feed or two of PK13-14 soiled in COCO ]

http://www.actahort.org/books/580/580_9.htm
"Optimal growth and yields of tomato and sweet pepper were obtained under photoperiods of 14 and 20 hours, respectively. Longer photoperiods did not further improve growth and yields and even decreased growth and yields in some cases. Although long term use of continuous light is detrimental to tomato and pepper plants, vegetative growth and fruit production of both species can be improved by short term use (5 to 7 weeks) of continuous lighting..."

http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=11247

Excellent -
As this is all still new to me ! And have not got anything flowering yet inside.
All still under 24/7 fluro for propergation.

THANX POTAWIE!! GREAT INFO !

Humbled
CM

Sweet as guys....on ya nova...ill be as drunk in about half an hour lol....works gonna be fun!

Cheers blokes

Here's a link to where someone compared 24/7 to 16/8 this spring with pepper seedlings. He is going to track how they produce this year but no doubt 24/7 is great for seedlings.

Mike

I've ton 24/7 on all my seedlings, only because my lights are all flouro, and they've done great. This was my first year, so I can't speak with the authority of others here, but I'll be keeping mine under 24 hours light again next season unless someone here comes up with a good reason not to!

I'm on 16 & 8, havent really done any comparison. I've chopped and hacked about 6 plants, and put them in my tent under a 600W HPS, and there's new growth all over the place.

Hopefully it will be a rewarding winter with the use of worm wee and the HPS lamp.

Cool as everyone, Im on an increase of an hour a day from 16/8 to 24/7 for 5 days then down to 20/4 constantly....Also dosing them up with pk 13:14 That has done wonders for my bhuts holding flowers. Exciting stuff. Just started 20 yellow habs and cloned 25 bhuts...so we'll see how it goes. Going to increase the cutting to 100 or so if it is successful.

Hotpeppa said:
yeah the more the better IMO..

i do 20 / 24 with a 430 MH, and they grow fast !

I just setup a 400 watt MH for my seedlings and I have them about 2' above the plants. Is that too high? Also as far as the lights does it have to be the same exact times every day or does that not matter? I don't have them on a timer so I just turn the light on when I wake up and turn it off in the middle of the night.

LGHT said:
I just setup a 400 watt MH for my seedlings and I have them about 2' above the plants. Is that too high? Also as far as the lights does it have to be the same exact times every day or does that not matter? I don't have them on a timer so I just turn the light on when I wake up and turn it off in the middle of the night.

Shouldn't matter but you should get a timer, only about $10. I like these kind (not exact brand but similar) outdoor light timers. They come with a short cord, are grounded and are rugged since they are designed for outdoors.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=144997-251-HB300RCL36LH&lpage=none

Txclosetgrower said:
They come with a short cord, are grounded and are rugged since they are designed for outdoors.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=144997-251-HB300RCL36LH&lpage=none

Thanks for the link. I have a few timers, but none are grounded so I'll get one shortly.

wordwiz said:
If you can feel heat from the lamps on the back of your hand (at the top of the plants), they are too close.

Mike

I can't feel the heat from the bulb 6" as I have a good sized fan blowing directly on it. However I don't think I should have the light 6" away from the plants should I?

Back