• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Local's 1st Glog - Perth, Western Australia

Hey Everyone,

Quick intro, I'm from Perth in WA. Just bought a house recently so I now have some room to grow.

So I'm relatively new to this, I have only grown from seed once before but mostly just bought seedlings and grown them in pots.

Since I bought my new place I thought that it would be a good idea to plant my chillies in the ground instead of pots, well that was a mistake.

This is about two weeks after the replanting.

5vvc76.jpg

dr6q7b.jpg

21opw4.jpg

3442nvo.jpg

The winter has been a little longer than normal this year but they are bouncing back now with the weather heating up.

I now have all the seeds for this years grow;

- From Chilli Seed Bank
Scotch Bonnet Red

- From Hippy Seed Company
St Martin's Habanero
Butch T Scorpion
7 Pod Yellow
Sannam
Peach Fatali
Antillais Carribean

vxozvb.jpg

Have a budget setup for now to try to get these germinated, My light that I was using to keep them warm died last night so currently they may be a little cool but they are near a window during the day and closer to the middle of the room at night. 

5af1af.jpg

I'll be looking at trying a DWC setup for a few of these plants once they are ready too.

Anyway, I'll keep you all updated as I go.

Thanks again,
Damien

Looking good! Interesting how the dishwashing liquid and pyrethrum does the complete opposite for us lol. Guess it must depend of many other factors.

Jase4224 said:
Looking good! Interesting how the dishwashing liquid and pyrethrum does the complete opposite for us lol. Guess it must depend of many other factors.

Spoke too soon  :rolleyes:
rwpeo2.jpg

Could it be the brand of dishwashing liquid? because I gave them a good soaking in it with no luck :/

I did just bust out the fly spray. That got rid of them pretty quickly... although I don't know how the plant will like that :S

Be careful which brand of Dishwashing liquid and the strength/dilution. Can kill your plants quicker than the aphids. I learnt that this year. I used "Earth Choice". ironically. 

Neem Oil is probably the best naturalish insecticide I have used.

RaelThomas said:
Be careful which brand of Dishwashing liquid and the strength/dilution. Can kill your plants quicker than the aphids. I learnt that this year. I used "Earth Choice". ironically. 

Neem Oil is probably the best naturalish insecticide I have used.
Oh crap. That'll be the one. What happened to your plants?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

The leaves turned brown and black and fell off. Some plants didn't seem to mind at all, while others lost all of their leaves, and one died. I think I was too heavy handed with the mix-up, though.

They look pretty happy mate! Good to see you're getting some development. Fingers crossed that got rid of the buggers for you! 

karoo said:
Looking good . do you have enough time to ripen those pods?
Yeah. I should have. Even at the peak of winter it only really gets down to 0 degrees C over night. So fingers crossed they will ripen in the month before winter.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Regarding the soap issue, the best thing I have found for
aphids is a good spray with Safer Insecticidal Soap, followed
a couple of days later with an application of NEEM (use the
concentrate and mix your own rather than the pre-mixed stuff
at the store.  It is available online - an 8 oz. (250ml) bottle has
lasted me 5 seasons and is still half full!)

Key issue - early preemptive strike as soon as you see aphids
trying to get a foothold on a plant.  Kill 'em before they spread!

Vigilance is the word of the day!

PaulG said:
Regarding the soap issue, the best thing I have found for
aphids is a good spray with Safer Insecticidal Soap, followed
a couple of days later with an application of NEEM (use the
concentrate and mix your own rather than the pre-mixed stuff
at the store.  It is available online - an 8 oz. (250ml) bottle has
lasted me 5 seasons and is still half full!)

Key issue - early preemptive strike as soon as you see aphids
trying to get a foothold on a plant.  Kill 'em before they spread!

Vigilance is the word of the day!

Oh yeah, that sounds like it could be a good plan.

Has anyone ever used flee shampoo for dogs? I have some of that lying around.

Looking good mate. That should be plenty of light I would think. The importance thing to remember with LED's is that whilst they may not 'look' as bright as normal lights to us they are very bright in the particular wavelengths they are producing. So a white light might look brighter than red/blue LED's but the LED's are concentrated on producing wavelengths that photosynthesis uses. Green light is what is bounced back off the leaves to looks nice to us but doesn't help the plant.

I'm confident your pods will ripen I still have heaps ripening now but the pods are just a bit smaller this time of the year.

I'm pretty sure I used morning fresh dish soap but I have a feeling it's more effective to apply it in the morning and let the sun do the rest. I think the soap stops them from breathing and the sun cooks them so probably more effective when near 30 degrees.

Your plants are looking good though I bet you will have a better year next season!

Jase4224 said:
Looking good mate. That should be plenty of light I would think. The importance thing to remember with LED's is that whilst they may not 'look' as bright as normal lights to us they are very bright in the particular wavelengths they are producing. So a white light might look brighter than red/blue LED's but the LED's are concentrated on producing wavelengths that photosynthesis uses. Green light is what is bounced back off the leaves to looks nice to us but doesn't help the plant.

I'm confident your pods will ripen I still have heaps ripening now but the pods are just a bit smaller this time of the year.

I'm pretty sure I used morning fresh dish soap but I have a feeling it's more effective to apply it in the morning and let the sun do the rest. I think the soap stops them from breathing and the sun cooks them so probably more effective when near 30 degrees.

Your plants are looking good though I bet you will have a better year next season!

Thanks for that Jase, I have been worried that it doesn't look as bright. but I did one of my phone lux tests and its up around 17000 lx at the canopy of the plants :)

I opted to chuck in a few green lights as there are conflicting findings all over the internet about the affects of green light on plants, so I just thought it couldn't hurt to add them in there :P I may change the lights up though to only have the one green light. 

But yeah I have been dosing the aphids with Pyetherin again. As they just won't go away, and that seems to be killing on the stragglers.

But I have a heap of peppers outside now. The 7pot has 20+ at the moment alone, so my harvest should be pretty good considering my late start and fertilising issues.

16l0dqf.jpg

Pics of the poddage that's popping up outside  :dance:  [WARNING - Pic Heavy]

14wy8u8.jpg

Had some basil in a pot chillin with the plants to get the water and ferts. they've now broken through the bottom of the pot into the ground, I now have a heap of basil  :rolleyes: might chuck it in the dehydrator.
54g5ua.jpg

7Pot
28arp7q.jpg

35mh9qb.jpg

119xezm.jpg

Bhut Jhlokia
idxd3c.jpg

Scorpions
124vo8o.jpg

2cgctmw.jpg

fz0tn7.jpg

Papa Dreddie
ndo1oi.jpg

Sannam
nxp7w1.jpg

And my demented ones, I would say these have been from the over-fert a few weeks back. could make for some interesting looking pods  :party:

This is meant to be a papa dreddie scotch bonnet
2rm9ved.jpg

One of the scorpions
2m7gg08.jpg

2iubxp3.jpg

So I had enough of aphids so I culled the plant right back so I can control them a little better.

All the leaves were falling off anyway with all the chemicals and treatments I've tried :/
The treatments I've done so far:
- Dishwashing liquid
    - Strong dilution
    - weak dilution
    - applied and washed off after drying
    - applied and left on
    - soaked the plant in it
    - lightly misted it
- Pyretherin
- Garlic spray
- spraying with hose
- trying to squish them

At least my garden plants are doing great  :rolleyes:

2s8pjd2.jpg

2agnkv6.jpg

11i391w.jpg

DWC plant after the cull - some new growth coming up quickly.
2qxuohj.jpg

Using the doggo as a size reference again.
20saof6.jpg

293bodu.jpg

The 7pot's are getting pretty big
2cxuniv.jpg

Back