• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Look at my butts...

...pork butts, that is. Here are two, 8-9lbers slathered in molasses, then dusted in Rogue Pork Rub. Wood is hickory.
photobucket-51191-1361127685798_zpsdcf48716.jpg

4 1/2 hours later, 173F internal temp.
photobucket-45910-1361143720179_zpsc2de8adb.jpg

Done.
photobucket-61535-1361152625502_zpsc145743f.jpg

photobucket-38394-1361153303373_zps072d7149.jpg

photobucket-58336-1361152669073_zps1b1bbdf8.jpg

The bark looks good, but where's the pulled pics? On a sandwich? yuuuum.

I myself don't pay attention to internal temp, and after four hours of smoke I keep it at 225° for another 5 hours.

Hails yeah! That's what a pork butt should look like.
Great looking bark and I can see the smoke ring glaring at me.
You've got a cold beer in the pose as well.....
Money!

yummy lookin pig meat even though im not a pork fan (German not Jewish but love Jewish people with all my heart being a Christian by the way) treading very lightly here LOL

i drink lightly but am wanting to know what beer is that in the glass??
hungry for MeeeeeeeeeeeeeT!!! now!! :lol:
thanks your friend Joe

yummy lookin pig meat even though im not a pork fan (German not Jewish but love Jewish people with all my heart being a Christian by the way) treading very lightly here LOL

i drink lightly but am wanting to know what beer is that in the glass??
hungry for MeeeeeeeeeeeeeT!!! now!! :lol:
thanks your friend Joe

That's a German pilsener...

Never seen a German pils that dark. What brand is that? Looks more like an alt or kolsch style.

Crap...I meant a home brewed pale ale. I was switching back and forth between the pale and a pils, and I forgot which one I had in the glass!

Looks pretty decent, I did a few last weekend. Did you wrap them at all?

I don't wrap the butts. Brisket, yes.

I usually shred it a bit more. Looks great. What do you do with the bark?

Do with it? The bark gets eaten. Am I missing something? I don't do anything special with it if that's what you mean.

That is some righteous looking pig there. I am anxious for warmer weather so I can get to smoking some of that! You did up right. Any coleslaw with that? Homemade BBQ sauce?

I've never done the cole slaw/pulled pork thing. My favorite way to eat this pork is to crisp some up in a frying pan, then on to a taco with home made salsa. In a burrito is also good, too.

I usually shred it a bit more. Looks great. What do you do with the bark?

The bark stays on the pulled pieces, adds texture and flavor. Taking it out makes for a mushy pulled. Especially if you shred it like you say. Shredded is too fine for me, I like the pulled pieces. This is pretty close to perfect, without tasting. I think the pic is making is look blacker than it is, I see mahogany there. White bun, mustard-slaw topper. Done!

Brisket, on the other hand, has burnt ends which are trimmed and are great in chili. Burnt ends chili ROXXX!

Everyone does it how they like! But I like this. Kudos!

I've never done the cole slaw/pulled pork thing. My favorite way to eat this pork is to crisp some up in a frying pan, then on to a taco with home made salsa. In a burrito is also good, too.

Kinda like carnitas but you need lard and a copper pot for real carnitas. :)

Do the slaw thing. Make sure you salt/colander your cabbage overnight to draw the water out so you don't have runny slaw. Crisp is the key.

The bark stays on the pulled pieces, adds texture and flavor. Taking it out makes for a mushy pulled. Especially if you shred it like you say. Shredded is too fine for me, I like the pulled pieces. This is pretty close to perfect, without tasting. I think the pic is making is look blacker than it is, I see mahogany there. White bun, mustard-slaw topper. Done!

Brisket, on the other hand, has burnt ends which are trimmed and are great in chili. Burnt ends chili ROXXX!

Everyone does it how they like! But I like this. Kudos!

Kinda like carnitas but you need lard and a copper pot for real carnitas. :)

Do the slaw thing. Make sure you salt/colander your cabbage overnight to draw the water out so you don't have runny slaw. Crisp is the key.

Give me an authentic slaw recipe, and I will do it. I take it I would need to make the Carolina vinegar/red pepper flake sauce to go with it?

which one?

Actually Joe, that is an American pale ale in the first post. Not a pils.

Back