• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe-help Looking for a classic chilli recipe

Hi Guys

I am looking for a classic chilli recipe to cook for my wife and friends. Chilli in the UK always seems disappointing. I want to cook a chilli they will never forget.

cheers

Daz

I think AJ posted his recipe once. his chile looks AMAZING! search for AJ's Red or something of that sort.

Here's what I do for my Texas Style Chili

2 Lbs Ground Beef
2 Lbs Good Stew meat
1 Large Yellow Onion or 2 medium
1 Cup Chili Powder
1/4 Cup Cumin
2 Tbs Oregano
4 Large Cloves Garlic
8 Habaneros
8 Jalapenos
8 Serranos
2 Large cans Tomato Sauce
1 Large can Tomato Paste
1 Bottle of Ale, just don’t use a Lager you want a strong flavored beer

If the stew meat isn't in bite size pieces cut it down some.
Dice the onion.
I puree the peppers but can be cut into a small dice. I like this combination of peppers it give me about a medium heat and good back heat.
In a little oil sauté the onion till translucent. Add the meat and brown.
When the meat is browned nicely add spices and peppers,
Add 1 can of tomato sauce, tomato paste and beer. Then add enough of the second can of tomato sauce to get the consistency you want. I like it thick.
Let simmer all day add more beer if it needs a little more sauce.
Serve with Sharp Cheader Cheese and some Green Onions that have been cut up about medium thick. I always serve cornbread with too. Oh, and a Beer

Now if you want Chili Stew you can add a couple of cans of Kidney beans however in Texas the whole bean issue is a very touchy area. Most Texas style chili’s don’t have beans.

Enjoy and Cheers,

Rocket has pretty much the perfect for a chili recipe. From that basis you can swap in and out quite a few different ingredients.

Personally I like to use a home made chili powder for my pot. Grab some California and New Mexico pods for the base and add in some cascabels, anchos and your favorite dried superhot for spice. Toss in some onion powder, paprika, cumin, oregano and a little thyme and you've got a very serviceable chili powder. From there I just mince some shallots and sautee them in the bottom of the pot until they're glassy, add in some chili powder and stir until it starts to look a little paste like, then add in your ground beef and top with some more chili powder. Cook until the meat is giving up it's grease and drain about half of the grease. Then add a cup or two of beef broth, some tomato paste to help bind it up a bit and let simmer for a while and add salt to taste. What you'll wind up with is a bright red, old fashioned pot of meat chili.

Great thanks or your help everyone. looking forward to cooking up. Think I will try Rocketmans texas style first!!

Daz
dancingpepper.gif

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/11777-ajs-red-chili

Hi Guys

I am looking for a classic chilli recipe to cook for my wife and friends. Chilli in the UK always seems disappointing. I want to cook a chilli they will never forget.

cheers

Daz

Check out some of the recipes on this link....
http://www.chilicookoff.com/Recipe/Recipe_Categories_Search.asp?Cat=1&StatusID=4&Champ=1
Award winners going back to 1967

OK...so where do we start with ICAS vs CASI.... :lol:

Here's mine:

* Exported from MasterCook *

JJK's NM Red Chile

Recipe By :
Serving Size :
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 lb Chorizo
1 lb Hot Italian Sausage
2 lb Beef Stew Meat
3 tbsp Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
1 ea Medium onions
5 cloves garlic
1 ea 6 oz. can tomato paste
2 c Red wine
2 c Water
3/4 tbsp Cumin Seed
1 tbsp Mexican Oregano
30 ea Dried New Mexico Red Chiles
2 tbsp Smoked Paprika

1. Partially freeze stew meat to make it easier to cut into 3/8" cubes.
2. In a large stockpot, heat up about a tablespoon of EVOO over medium heat. Saute onions (and chopped jalapenos, if desired).
3. When onions are soft and translucent, mince garlic and add to pot.
4. After garlic is in for a minute or so, add tomato paste and chorizo and cook for about 4 minutes. Depending on how much fat the chorizo gives off, you may want to drain at this point.
5. Deglaze pot with about a cup of red wine. Make sure you scrape the bottom of the pot. Reduce heat to a simmer and add a cup of water.
6. In a separate pan, brown Italian sausage. Drain sausage and add to pot.
7. Cut partially frozen stew meat into 3/8" cubes. Working in batches, heat about a tablespoon of EVOO in a skillet and brown meat until crusty. Add to pot.
8. Deglaze meat skillet with a cup of wine, scraping bottom. Add to pot.
9. Deglaze again with a cup of water, scaping bottom. Add to pot.
10. Heat a large pot of water to rehydrate chiles.
11. Cut tops off chiles and shake out seeds.
12. Working in batches, boil chiles about 8 minutes until rehydrated (about 10 per batch).
13. Blend chiles and about a cup of the boiling water in a blender until smooth.
14. Pour chiles into a food mill and grind.
15. Add chiles to pot.
16. After chile has simmered about an hour or so, toast cumin seed and oregano in a dry skillet. Once fragrant (about a minute or two), put in a spice grinder, grind, and add to pot, along with smoked paprika.
17. Simmer in a covered pot on low heat until beef chunks are tender, about an hour and a half.
18. Enjoy! Serve with warmed flour tortillas.

Rating:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Back