• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Looking for encouraging advice for newbie chilli growers

I was just joking on the post about you being your friend. I think the best thing to do is to just let him learn how to ask for help. I mean seriously if he really wants to grow peppers just post up what your problems are and get some help. It's not that hard. If he's serious and really wants peepers he will take the leap.

Thanks, LGHT

I don't want to turn anyone away, but I think you understand now how difficult this one is.

Hmmm. I'd point him towards a nursery and tell him to buy one plant from them, a large pot, and whatever soil they recommend. Pot it up and try to keep it alive.

Read as much of this forum as you possibly can. Take pictures of the problems that are being faced and post them in a thread with the word "Help." I could name ten people that would jump on that and offer friendly advice.

If the plant dies.... go buy another plant and try again.
Keep good notes. I use a calendar. This way you have more precise information, which will help you ask better questions, and you'll receive better advice.

Eventually, he'll either learn from his mistakes, or realize "some things just aren't meant to be", and to let the pros do the work for him.

...i fond out y i cant grow peppers in the city of syracuse ny we have hard water i still have seeds do u have peppers right now or u still growing them if u have sum peppers if u can send me what u can of each ill pay u 2 send them 2 me and ill send me seeds 2 u i would luv 2 grow my own...

Hummm.

Is it just me or does this whole thing smell funny (and not in a good way)? :lol:

How well do you know this person? Are they legit or is someone pulling your chain? How long have they been a member here?

Hmmm. I'd point him towards a nursery and tell him to buy one plant from them, a large pot, and whatever soil they recommend. Pot it up and try to keep it alive.

Read as much of this forum as you possibly can. Take pictures of the problems that are being faced and post them in a thread with the word "Help." I could name ten people that would jump on that and offer friendly advice.

If the plant dies.... go buy another plant and try again.
Keep good notes. I use a calendar. This way you have more precise information, which will help you ask better questions, and you'll receive better advice.

Eventually, he'll either learn from his mistakes, or realize "some things just aren't meant to be", and to let the pros do the work for him.

Thanks, SumOfMyBits

Maybe you're right, the school of hard knocks. One thing for sure, when you learn… you learn well.

I think it's definitely a gentler approach.

Hummm.

Is it just me or does this whole thing smell funny (and not in a good way)? :lol:

How well do you know this person? Are they legit or is someone pulling your chain? How long have they been a member here?

Thanks, DownRiver

Not very well, but this is the way he communicates. I have visited his profile and read through his posts and status updates. I was disappointed to find that he hasn't posted at all on the growing links.

His communications skills are very different from mine. Believe me my wife and I wonder too. I try to give him the benefit of the doubt. I will share with him what I know and point him in the direction I think he needs to go. Right now that's the best I can do.

Like I said he is a hard nut to crack.

Thanks, SumOfMyBits

Maybe you're right, the school of hard knocks. One thing for sure, when you learn… you learn well.

I think it's definitely a gentler approach.

Without any pictures, or any information other than "plants are dying", it's hard to help the guy. We're speculating.

My guess is that he's over-watering them and thus:
a) drowning the plant
or
b) watering so heavily at each interval that he's leaching all the nutrients out of the soil, but this wouldn't kill the plant right away. There would be some major signs that this was going on. Yellowing leaves and leaf drop. Flower drop if he could get them that far along.

Speculation. Right now, it sounds like he needs to learn how to just keep a plant alive.

When he gets that down, he can move to germinating seeds.

My problems are mostly pest problems later in development. I just sprayed a handful of serranos with Neem Oil this evening as a first approach to dealing with some bug that is causing scarring on pods. Something I learned early in '09 by reading these threads, doing it, and seeing the results. Sometimes infestations got out of hand and I had to resort to harsher treatments just to get a handle on the situation. And I posted things that caught my interest just to see if it would possibly be a problem. I was NEVER mocked by any individual on this site. Use it to your advantage!!!

But if he's growing indoors, I hardly think bugs are the culprits. Again, just speculation, but it seems like he's "killing them with kindness."

Really, best advice... growing peppers is a journey. It's full of trials and tribulations. It's a journey that should be shared with the rest of us.

This forum has a vast wealth of experience and information to help that journey succeed.

Share that journey with us. Otherwise, we have no way of helping the endeavor.

Thanks, SumOfMyBits

Great examples!

Why would he hold back information that might help me diagnose his problem unless he knew his methods were flawed? That thought has crossed my mind.

I've seen his posts on a lot of other member's profiles, but only 12 posts in the "hot talk" thread.
He doesn't seem to be tapping into the full potential this forum has to offer.

If he would just supply some pictures, somebody would know what to do!

Really, best advice... growing peppers is a journey. It's full of trials and tribulations. It's a journey that should be shared with the rest of us.

This forum has a vast wealth of experience and information to help that journey succeed.

Share that journey with us. Otherwise, we have no way of helping the endeavor.

Right on!!

Thanks, SumOfMyBits

Great examples!

Why would he hold back information that might help me diagnose his problem unless he knew his methods were flawed? That thought has crossed my mind.

I've seen his posts on a lot of other member's profiles, but only 12 posts in the "hot talk" thread.
He doesn't seem to be tapping into the full potential this forum has to offer.

If he would just supply some pictures, somebody would know what to do!

Agreed. This thread hit a chord with me. Today I sent some super-hot seeds to a friend in AZ. He's got a green thumb, but has not grown hot peppers before. I'm encouraging him to at least "lurk" for a couple months on this site, just to gain some needed knowledge. I hope that he'll join. I'd love that. And I'd love to see pictures of the progress!

Back