• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Looking for encouraging advice for newbie chilli growers

Friends, I'm looking for encouraging growing tips for newbie chilli growers. I have been corresponding with a fellow chilli grower who has been struggling terribly and would like to offer some simple advice. I would appreciate anything you could think of, thanks!

About Me:

My wife and I have invested a lot of time and money ($3k > $4k) into our hobby last season.
− Grow room
− Ground preparation i.e. (backhoe, digging out neighboring tree roots)
− Pots, fertilizers and irrigation

We research relentlessly and try to use the best growing materials that we could find. We learn new growing tips every day. We incorporate many suggestions made to other members from prominent chili growers. So far we have had wonderful success, but recognize the areas to which improve upon.

My advice:

Everyday there is something to do. You need to know how to read your plants to identify if they're happy or not. One day the world is a beautiful place and the next is total heartbreak. Things change fast and you need to know what to do to make them happy again. This forum is a great place to learn, read the grow links until your eyes bleed and then read some more. You get out of the process what you put in.

Start small and learn your craft first. You will find this method much easier to manage especially when navigating through a crisis.

It takes unwavering commitment!!

This is the recipe for gardening success and it does get easier with experience.

Couldn't said it better other than learn the ebb and flow of mother nature. Some plants that I plant (like fall garlic) are planted just for the fact I want to know what mother nature"s plan for spring is. Dogwood trees are another. I depend alot on her and less on chemicals and my plants thank me every year with great tasting produce. So shoot me for being almost natural. If I can fix it with a bug or shit thats the route I go.

Thanks!

This person is a THP member and is convinced for reasons out of his control is just unable to grow chillis from seedlings. I've tried to learn his methods, but it was like pulling teeth. So he is now trying to acquire plants. I just don't thing that he is ready to grow chillies successfully. He has stated that he thought growing chillies would be easy and has been everything but.

I think the four basic needs are soil/mix, light, water and temps. I suspect that he is going low ball on the soil/mix and maybe even inadequate lighting. The plants get about 2" high and die. He sounds very desperate and trying to salvage his growing season. It's kind of like the chicken and the egg.

Last season I used 25 sqyd of cow manure as well as shade from nearby trees to help the plants adjust to direct sun light. I do try to use Mother Nature as much as I can.

If hes low balling on soil a low temp would be a sure death for most peppers. If hes going that route he should pick a type of pepper that requires or better yet survives in poor soil and lower temps. My Texas bird peppers can take alot of abuse and seem to pull through but I do agree with you on basic needs. I tend to keep it simple :)

Unless itis very very very cheap soil, that is the last thing I would blame because I have used pellets, and various types of miricle grow dispite what most people would say my plants have done great.

If there are making it to 2inchs I would blame water and lighting first. I think the temps cant be too bad if they germinated in the first place.

Or there is always the newbie mistake of not hardening off.

But I got to say I am a bit disappointed they don't trust us enought to share the full story themselves, we have all been there at one or another and the idea of the forum is to help eachother solve our problems.

But I got to say I am a bit disappointed they don't trust us enought to share the full story themselves, we have all been there at one or another and the idea of the forum is to help eachother solve our problems.

+1 to that.

Just what exactly is wrong with this fellow THP member that he is so limp-wristed that he can't make his own request for help and he has to hide behind the shadow of another member and get that member to fix his problems for him.

This is a forum that has members that are open to answering question and offering trouble-shooting advice for others with their pepper growing problems.

If this un-named member doesn't have the balls to ask for his own advice, maybe he should just take up another hobby like cross-stich or dress-making.

Some guys should just grow a full sized set of nads and man-up instead of always hiding behind their mama's skirt.

dvg

EDIT* I apologize if that wasn't the kind of encouraging advice you were all looking for.

Chiles can be tough to get started. When I first started growing them, I got the jiffy greenhouses with peat pots and heat mats. I sowed and had great germination, but a lot of my seedlings died due to damping off. My second year, I could not get them to germinate and the ones that did were very leggy. My third year had a lot of germination, but I killed a bunch of seedlings by failing to water them enough (scared of damping off). It takes a while to get the medium/temperature/lights/water just right. I still haven't done it and I've been at this about 10 years now. I'm still experimenting with a better way.

I guess the first tip I have is to use a good seed starter. Potting mixes are made for growing plants and aren't really suited for seeds. You need the grainy mix a seed starter provides to give proper draining/moisture retention/air to the roots.

Second, seed more than you think you will need. Drop two or three seeds into each hole or peat pot. Yes, its tough to waste seed you paid good money for and to thin them out later, but its better than having empty holes in your flats or other growing trays.

After sowing, give them the proper temperature. The best is about 86 degrees F. Colder temps greatly increase the germination time. Hotter temps may cook the seeds. They don't need light to germinate, so a dark place is fine.

Once they sprout, they like cooler temps (60-70 deg. F) and get them under flouroscent lights as soon as possible - the closer the better. Incandescents don't have the right wavelength and will make plants leggy. As the seedling grow, raise the light fixtures as needed.

Once they have a couple sets of leaves, transplant or "pot up" into potting mix. Seed starter does not have any nutrients and if you keep them in there too long, the plants will turn yellow and wilt. I usually pot up as soon as I see cotyldons, but most folks recommend waiting until you see two sets of leaves. To each his own.

Once they are in potting mix - check daily. You don't need to water each day, but at least check them to make sure they aren't too dry (shriveling and/or wilting) or are being over run by insects. Give plenty of light, water when needed and wait for spring.

Lastly, harden them off. Plants don't like going from the 60 deg. F of your basement to 50 degree soil and full sun. You have to gradually acclimate them. Put them in the garage for a week. Then take them out for an hour of sun. The next day take them out for two hours in the sun. Gradually increase.

Above all, keep at it. Peppers are pretty hardy plants. Most die from too much attention. Benign neglect is the way to go.

Some guys should just grow a full sized set of nads and man-up instead of always hiding behind their mama's skirt.
dvg
EDIT* I apologize if that wasn't the kind of encouraging advice you were all looking for.

It could be any one of 39 different things.

Allright...I just made up a number... :cool:

But I'll take a wild stab at it: too much too many ferts too soon. Sometimes people overthink this stuff, lose patience and overdo it.

+1 to that.

Just what exactly is wrong with this fellow THP member that he is so limp-wristed that he can't make his own request for help and he has to hide behind the shadow of another member and get that member to fix his problems for him.

This is a forum that has members that are open to answering question and offering trouble-shooting advice for others with their pepper growing problems.

If this un-named member doesn't have the balls to ask for his own advice, maybe he should just take up another hobby like cross-stich or dress-making.

dvg

Thanks, dvg

I am disappointed that he hasn't found the courage to ask the forum for help. I share your sentiment, but I don't want to scare him away.

He asked me if I would send him some plants in exchange for seeds. I replied back that I only exchange seeds and not plants. I don't have the expertises to prepare them for travel. I directed him to a couple of sources that I have used in the past to replace plants that were damage from weather.

Maybe a simple starter kit with seeds, mix and instructions would be the way for him to go. Build some confidence in growing the hardier varieties first before taking on the more challenging ones may be the way to.

Are you sure you and your "friend" are not the same person? The whole post seems a bit odd as there is no direct request for help or any specific problem mentioned.

Hi SuperHot,

I can certainly appreciate that you want to and are willing to help other beginning growers and that in itself is commendable.

And sometimes finding that sweetspot of growing parameters where a certain species of plant will thrive in each of our own unique set of growing conditions can involve a little trial and error until an adequate and acceptable range is found.

Plus experience is something that is gradually earned with time.

Though it is unfortunate your growing colleague chose not to pursue more help himself from this forum's extensive group of knowledgable growers, in the end I do hope that he continues with the pepper passion and is able to find more success in the early seedling stages of growing these plants.

dvg

Unless itis very very very cheap soil, that is the last thing I would blame because I have used pellets, and various types of miricle grow dispite what most people would say my plants have done great.

I don't know, there are potting mixes that are a lot worse than Miracle Grow. I tried Sta-Green one time and it was just horrendous. I can't imagine anything surviving and fruiting in that stuff. It was extremely heavy for potting mix and had horrible drainage. It is a fungal problem waiting to happen.

Chiles can be tough to get started. When I first started growing them, I got the jiffy greenhouses with peat pots and heat mats. I sowed and had great germination, but a lot of my seedlings died due to damping off. My second year, I could not get them to germinate and the ones that did were very leggy. My third year had a lot of germination, but I killed a bunch of seedlings by failing to water them enough (scared of damping off). It takes a while to get the medium/temperature/lights/water just right. I still haven't done it and I've been at this about 10 years now. I'm still experimenting with a better way.

I guess the first tip I have is to use a good seed starter. Potting mixes are made for growing plants and aren't really suited for seeds. You need the grainy mix a seed starter provides to give proper draining/moisture retention/air to the roots.

Second, seed more than you think you will need. Drop two or three seeds into each hole or peat pot. Yes, its tough to waste seed you paid good money for and to thin them out later, but its better than having empty holes in your flats or other growing trays.

After sowing, give them the proper temperature. The best is about 86 degrees F. Colder temps greatly increase the germination time. Hotter temps may cook the seeds. They don't need light to germinate, so a dark place is fine.

Once they sprout, they like cooler temps (60-70 deg. F) and get them under flouroscent lights as soon as possible - the closer the better. Incandescents don't have the right wavelength and will make plants leggy. As the seedling grow, raise the light fixtures as needed.

Once they have a couple sets of leaves, transplant or "pot up" into potting mix. Seed starter does not have any nutrients and if you keep them in there too long, the plants will turn yellow and wilt. I usually pot up as soon as I see cotyldons, but most folks recommend waiting until you see two sets of leaves. To each his own.

Once they are in potting mix - check daily. You don't need to water each day, but at least check them to make sure they aren't too dry (shriveling and/or wilting) or are being over run by insects. Give plenty of light, water when needed and wait for spring.

Lastly, harden them off. Plants don't like going from the 60 deg. F of your basement to 50 degree soil and full sun. You have to gradually acclimate them. Put them in the garage for a week. Then take them out for an hour of sun. The next day take them out for two hours in the sun. Gradually increase.

Above all, keep at it. Peppers are pretty hardy plants. Most die from too much attention. Benign neglect is the way to go.

Thanks, Midwestchilehead

That’s very comprehensive and sound advice. I've read about damping off, but haven't experienced it yet. I agree with your second step and used the cup germination method. That’s why I have 575 superhots growing now. I used grow plugs and as soon as I would see roots they get potted up into 3.5" x 3.5". The best mix I've found so far is Pro Mix BX, my god do they love it. I have to manage their growth because I have very limited space.

I tried to get him to take pictures so I could see what they looked like. Now he wants to try the adult plants, but I think they would just die with him. It's hard to help without more information to go on.

Are you sure you and your "friend" are not the same person? The whole post seems a bit odd as there is no direct request for help or any specific problem mentioned.

I'm not sure if it would be appropriate to give out his profile name.

The last PM I received from him was as follows:

i fond out y i cant grow peppers in the city of syracuse ny we have hard water i still have seeds do u have peppers right now or u still growing them if u have sum peppers if u can send me what u can of each ill pay u 2 send them 2 me and ill send me seeds 2 u i would luv 2 grow my own

I want to help him, but I need more to go on than this. Don't you agree?

I don't know, there are potting mixes that are a lot worse than Miracle Grow. I tried Sta-Green one time and it was just horrendous. I can't imagine anything surviving and fruiting in that stuff. It was extremely heavy for potting mix and had horrible drainage. It is a fungal problem waiting to happen.

A couple of pictures would help a lot to determine the plants condition prior to dying. My gut feeling is poor soil/mix. I'm only a two year grower, but for some reason he sought me out for help. I've been lucky so far…you never know what could happen from year to year.

I'm not sure if it would be appropriate to give out his profile name.

The last PM I received from him was as follows:

i fond out y i cant grow peppers in the city of syracuse ny we have hard water i still have seeds do u have peppers right now or u still growing them if u have sum peppers if u can send me what u can of each ill pay u 2 send them 2 me and ill send me seeds 2 u i would luv 2 grow my own

I want to help him, but I need more to go on than this. Don't you agree?

Good lord...not only does he murder chile plants, he also murders the English language. That took a minute to try to translate into understandable English. I think I see what the problem is.

It could be any one of 39 different things.

Allright...I just made up a number... :cool:

But I'll take a wild stab at it: too much too many ferts too soon. Sometimes people overthink this stuff, lose patience and overdo it.

He might be loving them too much, thereby over fertilizing and watering.

I was just joking on the post about you being your friend. I think the best thing to do is to just let him learn how to ask for help. I mean seriously if he really wants to grow peppers just post up what your problems are and get some help. It's not that hard. If he's serious and really wants peepers he will take the leap.

Hi SuperHot,

I can certainly appreciate that you want to and are willing to help other beginning growers and that in itself is commendable.

And sometimes finding that sweetspot of growing parameters where a certain species of plant will thrive in each of our own unique set of growing conditions can involve a little trial and error until an adequate and acceptable range is found.

Plus experience is something that is gradually earned with time.

Though it is unfortunate your growing colleague chose not to pursue more help himself from this forum's extensive group of knowledgable growers, in the end I do hope that he continues with the pepper passion and is able to find more success in the early seedling stages of growing these plants.

dvg

Thanks, dvg

I have read one of your former posts where you discussed a topic about adapting to your growing environment. It was a really good piece and very elegantly written. You have great insight and I enjoy reading your threads.

Back