event Louisiana Hot Sauce Expo 2014

Where in Louisiana will it be held?  Might be able to talk my wife into an over nighter :pray:    Good luck on your 1st Expo!!

AHHH,  I see it's in LaFayette.  Might be a little ways too far for me.

I am so ridiculously excited to be taking Feisty Parrot to it's ever hot sauce festival and looking forward to meeting some awesomely cool people :-)

Any tips for the newbie??

+++ What ^^^^ said!!!

:rofl:

GeminiCrow had one going before the NYHS Expo. a lot of talk a bout booth set up and all that, but there was some other good info.

OH!  Since you're going to be there...can you live stream the Awards Show???? so we don't have to wait until it's all over to see if anyone got any Bling?
Those are some cool trophies.  :cool:  :pray:

FeistyParrot said:
I am so ridiculously excited to be taking Feisty Parrot to it's ever hot sauce festival and looking forward to meeting some awesomely cool people :-)

Any tips for the newbie??

Being a now seasoned veteran (LOL), use that excitement to your advantage.
Your enthusiasm will carry over to your potential customers.

Few random thoughts from a recent newbie...
1. Be uber friendly to everyone who approaches your table. Whether they buy or don't buy, taste or simply glance and walk away, everyone gets a SMILE! I am humbled every single time someone tries my sauce, whether they leave the table with a bottle or not. People will feed off your excitement. If you don't show enthusiasm for your product,  an't expect other people to.
2. I keep a bottle of hand sanitizer visible, and always make a point to squirt some in my hands when a person approaches. When dealing with food, its a little psychological trick (and just plain smart) to show that you are ready to do business with them with healthy clean hands!
3. Being a newbie, people aren't on the look out for you. They want to visit the booths and brands they are aware of. You need to engage people and get them to try your sauce. Nobody should walk by your table without you getting them to make eye contact with you. Harder to keep walk away, if you've nodded or acknowledged each other.
4. Describe your sauce while people are tasting it....Help form their opinion for them. Use the buzz words from your description while doing this...
5. if you get a few moments, look around at what other vendors are doing, their set-up, their presentation, etc etc.... take meental notes, learn learn learn....then when all is said and done, take what you have learned and liked of what you have seen, and modify what you do....Don't flat out copy someone else, but you can take idea's and morph them with your own.
6. Have fun. It's not a lawyer convention!

all the above may be bullshit. just my experiences.....Ill probably think of more as the next day or two go on!

and yeah, tell me if i won for my BLACKBERRY BELLE!

Crow, can you find that other thread?  Parrot's been doing markets for a while, and probably has their table set up figured out.  But there may be some other notes. 

salsalady said:
Crow, can you find that other thread?  Parrot's been doing markets for a while, and probably has their table set up figured out.  But there may be some other notes. 

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/44467-prepping-for-my-1st-fest-what-do-i-need/
Ann

you mentioned a while back about clear plastic bags $20 for like a 1000 of em?

done some basic research on amazon and the like, but can't find a deal like that...

is there a pepper insider place you all shop at for stuff like this?

Crow...try papermart.com for the bags...I think they were $35ish for 1000.

Thanks for the link, I scored it when setting up the stall.

Of course I will live stream for you guys...as much as I possibly can :-)

I have a quick question as a first time patron. I already know for sure I'm going to buy some sauces, and was wondering if cash or card is the easiest/best way to do it.
Looking forward to it! Is it Saturday yet? Haha.

GeminiCrow said:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/44467-prepping-for-my-1st-fest-what-do-i-need/

Ann

you mentioned a while back about clear plastic bags $20 for like a 1000 of em?

done some basic research on amazon and the like, but can't find a deal like that...

is there a pepper insider place you all shop at for stuff like this?

insider info.......SSSSssshhhhhhhh.......

The bags I use are/were the rolls of produce bags when they were a flat wide bag.  I'd buy them from the produce department at my local Hank's Market  ;)

:lol:  Most of the bags in the grocery stores now are folded up/crimped at the bottom, not the wide flat ones they used to have.  Not sure if you can get the flat ones?  Maybe the store can order some for you?

Feisty, it's looking like some crazy weather is headed to NOLA.  bring extra canopy weights? 

Meathead- bring as much cash as you can afford, the plastic for all the rest that you will want!  :lol:  Other Insider Tip for customers...bring a backpack!  Most vendors will just hand you the bottle.  You don't want to be trying to juggle 15 bottles of sauce.  Sometimes the Event will give attendees a nice big bag, but not always.  Don't know what the score is on that at NOLA.

Take lots of pics, selfies with vendors.....post 'em up and make us all jealous!
And whatever you do, DON'T have FUN!!!

salsalady said:
insider info.......SSSSssshhhhhhhh.......

The bags I use are/were the rolls of produce bags when they were a flat wide bag.  I'd buy them from the produce department at my local Hank's Market  ;)

:lol:  Most of the bags in the grocery stores now are folded up/crimped at the bottom, not the wide flat ones they used to have.  Not sure if you can get the flat ones?  Maybe the store can order some for you?

Feisty, it's looking like some crazy weather is headed to NOLA.  bring extra canopy weights? 

Meathead- bring as much cash as you can afford, the plastic for all the rest that you will want!  :lol:  Other Insider Tip for customers...bring a backpack!  Most vendors will just hand you the bottle.  You don't want to be trying to juggle 15 bottles of sauce.  Sometimes the Event will give attendees a nice big bag, but not always.  Don't know what the score is on that at NOLA.

Take lots of pics, selfies with vendors.....post 'em up and make us all jealous!
And whatever you do, DON'T have FUN!!!
Thanks SL! Will try to get some pics while I'm there. Weather is supposed to be pretty bad though unfortunately.

FeistyParrot said:
Of course I will live stream for you guys...as much as I possibly can :-)
TY!   Let us participate vicariously.  :lol:

Good luck everyone for the awards!  Lucky Dog thought results would be posted at 9pm.  Hopefully that's Central and we'll get it 2 hours earlier at 7pm.  :woohoo:

Gemini learned it all from sampling sauce at my booth in NY.
:D
salsalady said:
TY!   Let us participate vicariously.  :lol:

Good luck everyone for the awards!  Lucky Dog thought results would be posted at 9pm.  Hopefully that's Central and we'll get it 2 hours earlier at 7pm.  :woohoo:
Yep - heard it from Ken Alexander, the man hisself. He's sending a list to Al Buddah & Scott Roberts at 9 PM "unless the awards show runs long" in which case it'll be sent as soon as it's all done.

So check Scott Robert's website starting at 9. Dunno if that's central but I assume so since that's where they are.
:cheers:

Good luck to everyone who entered - if I lose I hope it's to one of y'all.
:)

Back