• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Made some Verde!!

I have been planing on making some for a few weeks but this time wanted to do it right and Can it, I haven't done any canning in like 10 years.  I made two Batches 2/3 of the tomatillo was made, mild for the family but I made 1/3 with a  7 pot Jonah for my Own Verde!! IMO it's medium-high hot but the 7 pot Jonah really added a lot of Flavor too. Really happy!

Short Jars are mild, tall are hot and I already Gave to short jars away before the pic. LOL   

Almost 8 lb's of tomatillo ready for the Oven.
KZ2tIol.jpg

All Canned and cooling!! 
5TN5OQK.jpg

Beautiful tomatillos and resultant sauce! Am a huge fan of all things verde'- the zippy, slightly tartness I just love! Ever have the purple varieties? They are super beautiful! I find them much more on the sweet side...am sure they are far more widely available over on the West coast. A bright purple tomatillo sauce with perhaps a darker pod...say some chocolates (the acidic bite to some would balance the sweetness of the purple tomatillos) would make a great contrast with the bright green of the verde as a dip, on some tacos, etc. Nice job!

I made some salsa verde this year for the first time as well and really enjoyed it.  Have lots of tomatillos in the freezer and hope to make a batch of verde to can soon.

I grew both purple and green tomatillos this year and found the tart, tangy flavor of the green ones more appealing than the smoother, sweeter purples.

Lets see there was,

one onion, 6-8 cloves of Garlic, 6 green Anaheim Peppers 2 green serrano's, and my Verde had one 7 pot Jonah, all oven roasted.

Then there was 2-3 ts Cumin 2 tsp white pepper, 3 ts salt, some fresh Oregano, and some fresh cilantro, and 15 tsp of Lime juice.

TBH I can't tell the Purple from the green ones with my taste buds.  

Back