• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Making A Bhut Jolokia Sauce

i am wanting to make a Bhut Jolokia sauce that is similar to the consistency of Tabasco sauce but with alot more heat. Any ideas on a basic recipe?

I did a quick google search.. heres a tabasco sauce recipe.. you could just swap the tabasco peppers for bhuts.

1947 Tabasco Sauce Recipe

Ingredients:

36 Tabasco peppers -- or other long hot red peppers
1 clove garlic
1 tablespoon sugar
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon horseradish
1 cup hot vinegar
1 cup water
Directions:

Add water to the peppers and garlic. Cook in a medium pan until tender, then press through fine sieve. Add all other ingredients and simmer until blended. Pour into hot ball jars; seal at once. The sauce may be thinned - as used - with either vinegar or salad oil.

source: http://www.mexican-barbecue-recipes.com/tabasco-hot-sauce-recipes.html

i don't wanna copy a recipe, i wanna make a similar one.

Umm well Bhuts and other than that I guess we shouldn't suggest anything lol

Tomatoes
25% vinegar apple cider is a winner
onion
garlic
3-4 pods per bottle
salt

Boil that for at least a good 10 mins

Or look up a recipe and copy it lol

What do you want to do differently to other recipies out there?

if you want a thin sauce like tabasco, I think the key is to strain the cooked down concoction through a fine sieve...

and I would recommend standard distilled vinegar (5%), peppers, and salt...you can add some sugar or agave nectar or some kind of sweetener if you want to mellow the taste a bit...

Experiment, that is the best way...I personally use 100 gms peppers, 60 ml vinegar, a dash of sea salt, and a small squirt of agave nectar for my puree and think this would be a good starting place...you could then strain it and if you are working in small batches, tweak each batch until you like it...make sure to write it down...

I'm surprised no one has said this yet. You are after a Louisiana style sauce here. Vinegar, peppers, salt. That is all. You will achieve Tabasco sauce consistency. No tomatoes! They will thicken it.

It will taste vinegary, is this what you are after? If not, use liquids that you like, but liquids are the key to the consistency. If you like it sweet try pineapple juice.

Keep us posted.

here is a recipe i found and tweaked just a tad ;)

1/2 cup fresh bhut jolokia chiles (ghost pepper), with stems and seeds removed.

2/3 cup white vinegar

1 tsp red pepper (crushed or powder)

1/2 tsp black pepper

3/4 teaspoons salt

1 tbsp sugar

thehotpepper.com said:
I'm surprised no one has said this yet. You are after a Louisiana style sauce here. Vinegar, peppers, salt. That is all.

check the second paragraph of my post THP...

ilpepergod said:
here is a recipe i found and tweaked just a tad ;)

1/2 cup fresh bhut jolokia chiles (ghost pepper), with stems and seeds removed.

2/3 cup white vinegar

1 tsp red pepper (crushed or powder)

1/2 tsp black pepper

3/4 teaspoons salt

1 tbsp sugar

why on earth are you adding the crushed red pepper...with the jolokias, you won't even be able to taste it IMO...

thehotpepper.com said:
I'm surprised no one has said this yet. You are after a Louisiana style sauce here. Vinegar, peppers, salt. That is all. You will achieve Tabasco sauce consistency. No tomatoes! They will thicken it.

It will taste vinegary, is this what you are after? If not, use liquids that you like, but liquids are the key to the consistency. If you like it sweet try pineapple juice.

Keep us posted.

agreed! if looking for tabasco type of sauce - chiles,vinegar,salt, & fermantion - that is it.

Back