• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Making a forge/foundry

The Hot Pepper said:

:tear: :cry: I totally understand your concerns. I read that article and that is horrible. I want to know what he did that went out of hand. I have read sooooo many articles on forge safety and don't plan on making any knives.promise I' not the average uncaring, stupid teenager that likes fire and will probably blow himself up.  I know the risks and Keep them in mind all the time. Most propane fires start by cooking chicken, surprisingly. (people don't leave room for chicken in oil and it goes over the pot burning the hose and fire starts.) my dad also knows the risk and If you have read what I do to stay safe you can see that I take safety as a huge deal, and think of all the things that can go wrong. we take 45-60 minutes making sure the aria is clear of burnable items and soak the ground. pls can you understand that I don't joke around with safety and that I wont kill myself and my neighborhood.I have been making foundries for years and propane forge is sooooooooooo much safer than wood(lots of hot ash and embers everywhere) or liquid(gasoline or diesel !! ) forges(they are also cheeper). after reading my safety procedures(and there are more) can you understand, pls???? :pray:

also if it make you feel better i used the crucible once and the second time it melted in the foundry so all metal was contained. I am NOT going to use any home made crucibles any more because of this reason, and will make sure the graphite ones are tempered properly.

still feel offended :(

Edmick said:
"Lets drink more beer so we have more cans to melt in this 2000+ degree homemade contraption!. What could go wrong?!" Just stick to growing peppers buddy. It's a lot safer.

I use aluminum cans from soda mainly but cans suck at giving aluminum. If you want aluminum just buy some aluminum wire at a hardware store.

NIbbles said:

still feel offended :(
Don't be offended. The concern comes from the fact that you're 14 and no matter how much you think you know, there's probably a lot that you don't. Take it from me. I set my parents fence on fire as a kid (in addition to many other fire related incidents that I won't mention). I was a huge pyro as a kid. As long as you have adult supervision, I don't see a problem with it, but the fact that no member here has any guarantee that you have adult supervision, Is my reason behind not being so enthusiastic about the idea. Just be careful buddy.

READ THIS!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From this point on I will not respond to any post saying that I'm not responsible, I'm going to burn my house down, or anything like that. I don't want this to become a huge argument about if I am responsible enough to have a foundry.Clearly my parents think I am and I already started so I can not return any items. I have already built three foundries and have always made sure that I and other around me were safe. If you guys want to post anything I have not posted on safety I will defiantly write it down. I will red the posts saying i am going to blow my self up, I just don't want to have a constant argument. I created this topic to have fun and to inform. I Totally understand your concerns and because you guys are not here in person You don't know if I do what I say I do before firing up my foundry.All I can do is say that I promise to do all these rules, but you guys don't know if I will. I don't think That I will burn the house down, because this is a propane forge and lots of people have them for more than 10 years. I will like all post I read, but please don't say I'm going to die because I wont respond and so it is pointless. One person has said it and I think that is enough. If I feel like this get out of hand I will delete this topic or if The Hot Pepper want to delete it he/she can.

I hope you guys understand. again I will read and respond to concerns like "what if the there is a leak in your propane"  but I will not respond to hate.

NIbbles said:
                                                                                            READ THIS!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From this point on I will not respond to any post saying that I'm not responsible, I'm going to burn my house down, or anything like that. I don't want this to become a huge argument about if I am responsible enough to have a foundry.Clearly my parents think I am and I already started so I can not return any items. I have already built three foundries and have always made sure that I and other around me were safe. If you guys want to post anything I have not posted on safety I will defiantly write it down. I will red the posts saying i am going to blow my self up, I just don't want to have a constant argument. I created this topic to have fun and to inform. I Totally understand your concerns and because you guys are not here in person You don't know if I do what I say I do before firing up my foundry.All I can do is say that I promise to do all these rules, but you guys don't know if I will. I don't think That I will burn the house down, because this is a propane forge and lots of people have them for more than 10 years. I will like all post I read, but please don't say I'm going to die because I wont respond and so it is pointless. One person has said it and I think that is enough. If I feel like this get out of hand I will delete this topic or if The Hot Pepper want to delete it he/she can.

I hope you guys understand. again I will read and respond to concerns like "what if the there is a leak in your propane"  but I will not respond to hate.

Well.....what if there is a leak? :think:

you test for leaks by putting soapy water on all connections, turning on the propane(not lighting it on fire yet) and if there are bubbles that form in the soapy water, then you have a problem. this is needed every time you use propane and I think it states it on the back of the tank. I know it tells you this on connecting hoses.

Not intending to insult you with this, just things I would mention to anyone here who started a thread like this. 

glad you are using natural fabrics and materials for you safety clothing.     heavy unfrayed Cotton/denim and leather  is the way to go.  There are some very inexpensive non toxic fire retardant sprays you can treat fabric with that would make those jeans even better safety equipment.  I have seen a cotton rag treated with it withstand full flame from a oxy/acetylene torch without any visible damage.  it definitely works great for fabric but I wouldn't spray on leather . 

You didn't mention footwear in your posts but  very important when working with molten metal. 

Fully enclosed work boots  would be best, something along the line of a pull on like blundstone at a minimum  or even better a  foundry boot with full metatarsal guard.

Never tuck your pants legs into your boots, always drape outside.  A guy I went through welding school with still has scars from ignoring that advice from instructor. 

that  garbage can looked galvanized to me,   heated galvanized metal gives off a metal flume similar to what you described coming off the brass.  Zinc is used  in the galvanizing process. I am not sure how hot the outside of your foundry gets but please be aware. 

Please beware of the tinsel fairy. I cast my own boolits from lead. Keep all liquids away from molten metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NIbbles, I thought this was a cool thread and started following it before I saw you are 14 years old.  My son was 14 4 years ago and I know some of what he was up to at that age, and some of that scared the crap out of me as a parent.  BUT! We also participated in a number of fun projects with him or oversaw some things he was doing that had dangerous elements. 

Keep at it, you sound like you know what you are doing.  Be safe! and I am looking forward to seeing what you make!!!

Have Fun!!! 
salsalady

I watched some videos where people were making swords and stuff out of styrofoam, then putting them in a bucket of sand and pouring the aluminum into the styrofoam. They cast some pretty cool stuff. I have also seen it poured into fire ant hills and then dug up.

Don't let the comment about safety get to ya, we just all remember the stupid stuff we did when we were younger! Lol

I'll add my two cents-- Kudos to you Nibbles!

I'd definitely want to see more of your progress. I've always wanted to try casting metal things (well, I did help cast a horse shoe once when I was about your age, or slightly younger, but that was with immediate guidance of a blacksmith babying me through it. I don't remember what all went into what I did, just that it happened lol) but I dont have the time (or money) to make sure to do it right.

It's true- none of us are there in person to see that you have appropriate adult supervision and that you follow through with any and all safety precautions. Accidents can happen, even those with the smallest possible chance of happening still can happen, and that should be kept in mind by anyone of any age.

I was also not the "typical teenager" myself and at 14 was more responsible than most adults I knew, and know the frustration. Not that I didn't have my serious lesson-learning screw ups like any teen, of course.  ;)  I can't tell you how many projects I got into that I would seek guidance from those more experienced in the trade, only to be told it is too hard/dangerous/time consuming/etc. and not to bother. To add salt to the wound, I would see some of those people doing just about everything I knew shouldn't be done. Not that it is the case here, but as an adult and mom, I can assure you everyone is posting in good earnest, and keep the cautionary words in mind.

For every thing you do know, there is always/will always be more things you don't.

Extra kudos for aspiring to MIT and to work with NASA. Astrophysics and cosmology are my (in progress/ on hold) fields of study. Not quite engineering, but there is room for some overlap there.  :surprised: 

Keep up the good work! :party: :dance: :party:

Ashen said:
that  garbage can looked galvanized to me,   heated galvanized metal gives off a metal flume similar to what you described coming off the brass.  Zinc is used  in the galvanizing process. I am not sure how hot the outside of your foundry gets but please be aware. 

the can is galvanized and i am aware of the fumes. the outside does not get any hotter if you use it for 1 1/2 hours(the most time I will ever need). I'm not sure hot hot the outside gets longer than that, but sure you will be fine for running it for 4 hours(not sure why you would run it that long.) and thanks for the info on the spray and pants. why do you not tuck in your pants to your boots(i never do this)? is it because if your pants catch on fire, it is hard to get off?

salsalady said:
NIbbles, I thought this was a cool thread and started following it before I saw you are 14 years old.  My son was 14 4 years ago and I know some of what he was up to at that age, and some of that scared the crap out of me as a parent.  BUT! We also participated in a number of fun projects with him or oversaw some things he was doing that had dangerous elements. 

Keep at it, you sound like you know what you are doing.  Be safe! and I am looking forward to seeing what you make!!!

Have Fun!!! 
salsalady

thank you I will definatly be safe. I do not want perminate damage to me or anyone.

NIbbles said:

the can is galvanized and i am aware of the fumes. the outside does not get any hotter if you use it for 1 1/2 hours(the most time I will ever need). I'm not sure hot hot the outside gets longer than that, but sure you will be fine for running it for 4 hours(not sure why you would run it that long.) and thanks for the info on the spray and pants. why do you not tuck in your pants to your boots(i never do this)? is it because if your pants catch on fire, it is hard to get off?
Pretty sure if you drop anything hot on your pants you do not want it traveling down into your boots.

violentglitter said:
I'll add my two cents-- Kudos to you Nibbles!

I'd definitely want to see more of your progress. I've always wanted to try casting metal things (well, I did help cast a horse shoe once when I was about your age, or slightly younger, but that was with immediate guidance of a blacksmith babying me through it. I don't remember what all went into what I did, just that it happened lol) but I dont have the time (or money) to make sure to do it right.

It's true- none of us are there in person to see that you have appropriate adult supervision and that you follow through with any and all safety precautions. Accidents can happen, even those with the smallest possible chance of happening still can happen, and that should be kept in mind by anyone of any age.

I was also not the "typical teenager" myself and at 14 was more responsible than most adults I knew, and know the frustration. Not that I didn't have my serious lesson-learning screw ups like any teen, of course.  ;)  I can't tell you how many projects I got into that I would seek guidance from those more experienced in the trade, only to be told it is too hard/dangerous/time consuming/etc. and not to bother. To add salt to the wound, I would see some of those people doing just about everything I knew shouldn't be done. Not that it is the case here, but as an adult and mom, I can assure you everyone is posting in good earnest, and keep the cautionary words in mind.

For every thing you do know, there is always/will always be more things you don't.

Extra kudos for aspiring to MIT and to work with NASA. Astrophysics and cosmology are my (in progress/ on hold) fields of study. Not quite engineering, but there is room for some overlap there.  :surprised:

Keep up the good work! :party: :dance: :party:

sounds exactly like me! My parents always underestimate me. They defiantly did not think i could build an extension to my tortoise's cage. This forge will not get hot enough to melt steel but you I do want to major in math, mechanical engineering, and astrophysics.ou can easily shape it and become a "blacksmith"(that is why it is a foundry/forge). currently I'm in 8th grade doing geometry 1. I want to be an astrophysical engineer to be exact and help build the rocket to go to mars. (by the amount of money NASA get they are not getting there soon :(  if NASA was funded the same amount of money during the space race we would be on mars 2 years ago if not earlier.(all the money NASA has got since NASA was created the military get more than that every year! ) not saying military is bad, but it makes me mad that NASA is poor and we rely on Russia to send our astronauts to the ISS!

I will be finishing today. I did not have much time yesterday and the bottom was still soft and wet. also I returned the pvc pipe because i forgot that pvc is measured by interior diameter,id, not the outside. so i bought a 1 1/2 inch wooden dowel because if i cant get it out you can burn it out like the cardboard(also wooden dowels are cheaper). Then I am going to wrap it in paper so the dowel will slide out, and the paper will be easier and safer to burn out. you truly want to burn the materials out to make sure you don't crack the walls trying to force it out. also make sure you let the cement set for a week or more and make sure everything is dry. I will let mine sit for a week and a half.

Back