• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Making a forge/foundry

NIbbles said:

what???

With molten lead if you get even 1 drop of water, sweat or any other liquid falling into the pot,you get a violent explosion. It will shoot the molten lead in every direction with force. I don’t know if other metals do that. I only have exp with lead. Probably don’t want to chance it,eh?
Look up Castboolits.com for more info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.notjustanotherfire.net/2015/01/27/water-molten-steel-massive-steam-explosion/

Water bottle thrown into smelter.

SteelBlow_GIF.gif

tctenten said:
Pretty sure if you drop anything hot on your pants you do not want it traveling down into your boots.
This exactly. If Tucked in, molten metal will potentially roll down the leg into your boot. Similar reasoning as to why welding jackets don't have open pockets on outside. Places that can catch/trap molten metal is never a good idea.

PtMD989 said:
With molten lead if you get even 1 drop of water, sweat or any other liquid falling into the pot,you get a violent explosion. It will shoot the molten lead in every direction with force. I don’t know if other metals do that. I only have exp with lead. Probably don’t want to chance it,eh?
Look up Castboolits.com for more info.

thanks for clearing this up. At that temp water is instantly converted into steam and increases rapidly in size blowing liquid metal everywhere. I'm sure it will work with any metal 

Can't believe I'm just seeing this thread now, lol

Nibbles, you're the man, dude, hahaha. Just be careful bud. Make sure you wear lots of safety clothing/protection (ESPECIALLY FOR YOUR EYES! You only get 2 of those in life ;) ). Take it from me, an Ironworker for the past 10+ years, working with molten metal is a dangerous job/hobby. Like Ashen said, don't tuck your pants into your boots. A piece of hot slag in your workboot is no picnic, haha. Sounds like you've done a lot of homework on this stuff, but please don't cut corners and be safe, kid

Or, just steal one of your Dad's Playboys and go build a tree fort in the woods with your buddies instead ;)

yeah I have had a few hot rocks find their way into my boot over the years. I mig'd on an assembly line for years. Having one roll down the top of your foot and between your toes while your co-workers laugh and tell you to hurry up, will teach you to get the right footwear fast.

here is what I have done. I drilled a hole in the trashcan and tube, then sanded it so the wooden dowel is at an angle. You want the burner to be at an angle so it creates like a fire tornado in the foundry.

Attachments

• GOPR26511.JPG
    GOPR26511.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 95
  • GOPR26501.JPG
    GOPR26501.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 92
NIbbles said:
here is what I have done. I drilled a hole in the trashcan and tube, then sanded it so the wooden dowel is at an angle. You want the burner to be at an angle so it creates like a fire tornado in the foundry.
Do your parents know you’re building it in the kitchen?[emoji16]
It looks good!

Back