• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe-help Making Bouillon powder/blocks

Tried reducing my Maitake stock water down into a bouillon block, following something I read somewhere and ended up with it stuck to the parchment paper in the dehydrator.. So that was somewhat misleading. I'd like to hear what works for others around here, who make their own.
I guess I will have to rehydrate it again to get it off and think I'm going straight to silicone now, skip right past trying waxed paper.. Unless someone has a better suggestion.
Making rice and dehydrating it seems to be the best move so far, for shelf stable storage.. But I'd like to master this bouillon making so I can make other types as well.

As you can see in the picture, the paper tears away with the bouillon, and it's not even completely dry yet.

Thanks!
20210925_095443.jpg

I've got a bunch of silicone fondant and oven/freezer safe food molds I was considering using in tandem with the dehydrator or maybe the oven.. But ours only gets down to 170F min, with oven on (80-90F using just the light).

Freeze drying is a completely different process than dehydrating. Basically it uses the process of sublimation to remove the moisture from the product. I have posted about it on my food threads several times over the past several years.

Gotcha.. I actually looked at those a couple years ago. The had a display of one in the Stein in town here. Nice tool to have, if you can afford one. I wasn't sure if you were talking about the Harvest Right type machine or something else. Neither are really options for me currently. I bet that would make some great bouillon!

I've never seen a successful process for making powder from stock. You end up with a gel like mass that never seems to get completely dry so you can't chop or grind it into a powder. The best you can do is reduce it to a thick liquid and freeze into cubes.

For powdered bouillon, you have to start with already dry ingredients and mix them together.

Back