• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

Making hot sauce with frozen pods

I want to make another batch of hot sauce with my Yellow 7s, but the ones ripening soon will be rotten by the time I have enough more to make a new batch.  If I freeze the pods (in Ziploc bags) that will be ripe soon, can I add them as an ingredient to the sauce and expect a normal result, or does freezing change the pods so my sauce will not have the expected heat and flavor?

Freezing pods wont affect the flavor of the sauce at all.  I actually freeze all my pods before sauce making, even if they are fresh at the time I'm gonna cook up a sauce.  Freezing seems to break down the cell walls of the peppers, and I find I get a much smoother, thicker sauce that doesn't separate when sitting for a while. 

I always freeze my pods until i have time to make sauce.  That being said Ive never had a side by side fresh taste comparison so I cant attest to that. However, I dont notice any change in my sauces. WARNING! freezing does rupture the cell walls so as they thaw capsaicin will start to leak from the surface of the pod.

You will have the same heat and flavor if you defrost the pods in a bowl so you don't lose all the hot  juice....or just chuck 'em in the pot frozen. 

If doing a specific recipe by weight, I weigh out the pods frozen so all the liquid associated with said pod is still stuck to said pod.  If the pods were defrosted, there would be a lot of juice (and capsaicin) at the bottom of the bowl and pods wouldn't be the same. 

Also, I wash-destem-and open each pod before freezing.  You can't wash defrosted pods, and there are often bad spots or black seeds in pods.  It's easier to trim fresh pods than frozen pods.

Enjoy your bounty!

salsalady said:
You will have the same heat and flavor if you defrost the pods in a bowl so you don't lose all the hot  juice....or just chuck 'em in the pot frozen. 

If doing a specific recipe by weight, I weigh out the pods frozen so all the liquid associated with said pod is still stuck to said pod.  If the pods were defrosted, there would be a lot of juice (and capsaicin) at the bottom of the bowl and pods wouldn't be the same. 

Also, I wash-destem-and open each pod before freezing.  You can't wash defrosted pods, and there are often bad spots or black seeds in pods.  It's easier to trim fresh pods than frozen pods.

Enjoy your bounty!
I've got 2 in a Ziploc in the freezer.  Can I assume that this is good way to store them?  If not, what is better.  I make my sauces by first pureeing all the ingredients in a blender.  Can I assume it is OK to throw the frozen pods in the blender, or should I defrost them first?

Frozen = awesome sauce!! :) great for fermenting as well!!

Hey hey and small question the freezing of pods and ferment what the safe amount of salt added for the frozen moisture? I feel it throwing two of my batches off and causing a white mold or natural yeast? Or does it matter. Thanks for your time and input GG

dragon49 said:
I've got 2 in a Ziploc in the freezer.  Can I assume that this is good way to store them?  If not, what is better.  I make my sauces by first pureeing all the ingredients in a blender.  Can I assume it is OK to throw the frozen pods in the blender, or should I defrost them first?

Your method of storage is good for several months.  There may be some freezer burn after 6 months or more, but it's all so subjective to all the other elements in the equation.

It makes no difference to the sauce how the pods are blendered.  More important is if your blender can handle frozen items.  I have a BlendTec which is designed for frozen fruit smoothies so blendering the snot out of some frozen pods (with some liquids to help things along) is not a problem.  A Wally-world $19.95 blender probably won't do as good.  By freezing the pods, that helps break down the cell walls and makes it easier for a cheaper blender to do a better job of blendering.  

Greenguru said:
Hey hey and small question the freezing of pods and ferment what the safe amount of salt added for the frozen moisture? I feel it throwing two of my batches off and causing a white mold or natural yeast? Or does it matter. Thanks for your time and input GG
Green~ check out the Fermenting 101n thread.  They talk about this stuff over there A LOT!!!!  You'll likely find your situation posted and answered.  

Have Fun!!!

Greenguru said:
Not sure what yer asking but if you're trying to determine how much salt to use in your ferments. Well there are a number of factors. The amount of mash. Mine are half gallon jars so I use anywhere from 1000 to 1400 grams. I also use Probiotic capsules to help start fermentation. And I use white zin for my brine instead of water. This combination even with frozen pods I use 30 grams of salt. But if your going the simple route just water and salt no starter. I believe SmokenFire uses 40/45 grams of salt per 1000 grams of mash.

If you're getting white growth on top of your ferments it's most likely Kahm yeast which is harmless just scrape off when your ferments are finished. I also hold my mash down with cabbage leaf this help speed up natural fermentation. If you'd like more information about my method just pm me ill send you my whole process step by step. :)

salsalady said:

Your method of storage is good for several months.  There may be some freezer burn after 6 months or more, but it's all so subjective to all the other elements in the equation.

It makes no difference to the sauce how the pods are blendered.  More important is if your blender can handle frozen items.  I have a BlendTec which is designed for frozen fruit smoothies so blendering the snot out of some frozen pods (with some liquids to help things along) is not a problem.  A Wally-world $19.95 blender probably won't do as good.  By freezing the pods, that helps break down the cell walls and makes it easier for a cheaper blender to do a better job of blendering.  

Green~ check out the Fermenting 101n thread.  They talk about this stuff over there A LOT!!!!  You'll likely find your situation posted and answered.  

Have Fun!!!
Your post made me laugh.  My "El Chepo" blender broke when making my last batch of Hot Sauce—the motor just died and it won't work anymore.  I need to spend a little more money on a quality product.

oldsalty said:
Not sure what yer asking but if you're trying to determine how much salt to use in your ferments. Well there are a number of factors. The amount of mash. Mine are half gallon jars so I use anywhere from 1000 to 1400 grams. I also use Probiotic capsules to help start fermentation. And I use white zin for my brine instead of water. This combination even with frozen pods I use 30 grams of salt. But if your going the simple route just water and salt no starter. I believe SmokenFire uses 40/45 grams of salt per 1000 grams of mash.

If you're getting white growth on top of your ferments it's most likely Kahm yeast which is harmless just scrape off when your ferments are finished. I also hold my mash down with cabbage leaf this help speed up natural fermentation. If you'd like more information about my method just pm me ill send you my whole process step by step. :)
Thanks for your time!! I was going to trash a batch with the white top,I was reading could be not enough salt and I was worrying, anyhow I thought the fact i used frozen pods I may have not used enough salt. I do 26 Grams Salt to 750 ml wine. I am going to change over to water the wine may be hurting my GOUT.

do the  Probiotic capsules leave a flavor ? could I just add a honey or pancake syrup or such as a feeder? when I change to water base the sourdough starter will it leave a cloudy look to the sauce? Thanks DAN aka GREENGURU

Sorry so long !! Was away for a wedding :) Glad you didn't toss that ferment. The wine shouldn't bother your gout as the alcohol will be completely cooked out during final processing. But if you feel safer with water no worries!!! :) no capsules leave no flavor they are vegan made from veg matter. If you're using a starter than you have enough salt I use 30/40 grams per 1000/1400grams of mash. If you're not using a starter than I would follow the guidelines set out by SmokenFire. He has been producing outstanding ferments with no starter. He does increase salt content to inhibit bad bacteria taking hold while mash is waiting to begin fermenting.
I don't use sourdough starter so can't help there my friend. I think RocketMan does though.

Hope this helps!! :)

I was wondering about fermenting after freezing. Most the wild yeast come from the surface of the pepper itself (from my understanding) and it seems like those would die off in the freezer. 

Back