• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

tutorial Making some puree today...will post pics of the process....it's easy....

AJ, I've heard nothing but the best about your puree. It looks delicious. I can confirm that it is a long process.....Not hard at all, but man from start to finish it is a PITA. Doing as big a batch as you can at a time is key....lol. Thank you for taking the time to give a step by step. I'm sure there are a lot of people that will appreciate the hell out of this.

Fantastic idea and mighty fine colors. I have a counter full of peppers and think I may get to making some of that (perhaps substituting a little honey for the agave). Thanks for the post and the pics.

YW

looks awesome! If you want to get rid of any let me know. Will pay for shipping and the the puree.

thanks and thanks for your interest but I don't sell anything anymore...

AJ, I've heard nothing but the best about your puree. It looks delicious. I can confirm that it is a long process.....Not hard at all, but man from start to finish it is a PITA. Doing as big a batch as you can at a time is key....lol. Thank you for taking the time to give a step by step. I'm sure there are a lot of people that will appreciate the hell out of this.

you are right about the big batches....problem is if I cook a batch bigger than the last one I did, I have to do it in the house when the wife is at work and finish in plenty of time for the vapors to clear....

Looks really nice. How long will it last for before it goes off?

thanks...shelf life is a long long time...well over a year...IMO, once pressure canned and the seal is good, the product is good until the seal loses its vacuum...

AJ,

I believe the t-scorp puree I got from you lasted 3 months after opening, same for the other puree's I had. I remember that around that time I was awash in loads of sauce's, chile's, and puree's, hence why it took so long to go through them.

I think that 3 months for a natural puree or sauce thats been opened that long is remarkable and can only reckon that your canning procedures then, as now, were/are rock solid.

Ike is looking sharp and svelte!

That's about right TB....if it is left unrefrigerated...I have a jar from last year in the refrigerator that is 2 years old and still good...

The unopened shelf life is at least a year...as long as the vacuum seal is intact...

Answer your PM...

Great looking pure there AJ, that's alot of fire there in those jars, that's for certain. Love the way Ike was keeping you honest, or was it really making sure you didn't slip a little taste into his Kibble for him? :)

cheers,
RM

I may need to start doing this...love it.

And tell Ike I'll see him again sometime soon. I'll criple a few flies with the swatter, bring them over, and boost his confidence...lol

Hey AJ,

Is there a proper measurement on using standard sugar as a substitute? No agave on hand, and pretty sure I ain't gonna get any anytime soon. :)

Thanks for the recipe. I may try a small batch this afternoon if I have time...

I have a turd-load of those giant caribbean reds...I will be trying this soon. I wanna make some sauce, but need a base.

I have to ask...when you cook the peppers down that long, do you notice that metallic extract taste in the result? I made marinara with some savinas last year, and after simmering it down for a few hours...teasted great, but a slight twang like I dropped a penny in there.

I have to ask...when you cook the peppers down that long, do you notice that metallic extract taste in the result? I made marinara with some savinas last year, and after simmering it down for a few hours...teasted great, but a slight twang like I dropped a penny in there.

I don't understand the "metallic" taste...I have never experienced that in any of the product I have made...if anyone that has tasted my puree's has tasted a metallic twang to them, please let me know...

AJ calls it puree. I just call it hot sauce. The best sauces, to me, are simple and showcase the pepper.

This stuff is perfection in a jar. No pears, no carrots... HOT SAUCE!

Thanks boss...the reason I call it puree is that it is just too thick to pour IMO...

I wonder if one could skip the reduction phase...and just cook it down long enough to get it cooked...

probably, I cook it down to thicken it...

I don't understand the "metallic" taste...I have never experienced that in any of the product I have made...if anyone that has tasted my puree's has tasted a metallic twang to them, please let me know...

It could have been the pot that the sauce was reduced in -- some cheap metal pots ( those made with Aluminum ) will leach when acidic sauces are cooked in them for an extended period of time - If using decent quality utensils it shouldn't happen.

From Ehow :

Leaching
  • Lightweight, low-priced and a great heat conductor, aluminum is found in about half of manufactured cookware. But aluminum is also highly reactive. Cooking acidic foods such as tomatoes or tomato sauce can cause leaching. The food actually absorbs the aluminum from the pot or pan, which means you will be swallowing aluminum particles traced back to the cookware. In addition to avoiding cooking acidic foods in aluminum cookware, it is also advisable not to store them in aluminum products.
Alternatives
  • Cast iron, glass or stainless steel pots and pans are alternatives to using aluminum cookware. Another option is using anodized aluminum cookware. This process uses a chemical bath and electrical current to bind the aluminum to the pot or pan, which then makes the utensil non-porous and non-reactive. This non-stick and relatively scratch-resistant surface means that aluminum will not leach into acidic or salty foods.

[background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]Read more: Dangers of Aluminum Cookware | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/...l#ixzz21MURFs2f[/background]

Back