• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

tutorial Making some puree today...will post pics of the process....it's easy....

hey Jedi...is that an aluminum pot you are cooking in?...you should really use stainless or some other "non-reactive" metal for cooking with vinegar...

Oh noes.

I am of the opinion that there is no good use for aluminum in cooking on a stove top, especially with acidic dishes.

The bottoms all warp eventually. Sheet pans not so much.

That's odd...my experience has been that a high quality Al pan hods up better, and keeps its shape better than stainless...

that's cool LB, the reason I don't use aluminum any more and only use stainless or cast iron (not for acidic stuff), is because I went to a demonstration of metal cookware about 50 years ago and the guy did a simple demonstration...take a tablespoon and scratch the bottom of the aluminum pot with it...like you were stirring....you have to do it pretty hard to see the results...but if you will look, there will be some small aluminum "dust" you have taken off the bottom...and that's not good for you....aluminum by nature is very soft compared to stainless or CI....so with that said, that demonstration whether it is true or not is the reason I don't use any aluminum any more...

I was just going by the thickness of the pot itself...didn't mean to offend you but if it was aluminum I said what I said out of concern for your well being...

I use everything...I prefer my CI over all...but I have a REALLY nice, chef-grade Al sautee pan...and I Like my stainless too...and I try to stay away from non-stick pans...

Wow...we're straying a bit...lol

But...I prepared my caribbean red puree in my stainless pan...no hint of metallic nastiness.

cool...glad it turned out good for you LB

Oh...save me some of those foodaramas IF you end up with enough to spare maybe a half dozen or so. WOW what a great tasting bonnet!

will do...

AJ...I guess I should explain the bonnet comment...I made jerk-chops tonight, and let my wife smell that pod. She said, and I agree, it smells exactly like Grace Scotch Bonnet sauce...her favorite on everything. Got me to thinking...I bet their sauce is little more than this style puree, because you get the pure heat of the SB, full flavor, and no BS in it.
I need seeds though...damndest thing...that bonnet had 3 seeds in it...3!!!

I have posted my recipe of the puree I make but don't think I have ever gone through the process with pictures...it's pretty simple....just time consuming...to me, this recipe preserves the fresh taste of the peppers and is great for cooking (or adding to bloody mary's)

The recipe is:

100 grams fresh peppers
60 ml 5% White Distilled Vinegar
1 tsp agave nectar
1/4 tsp sea salt

you can use any pepper you want...and you can use whatever vinegar you want as long as it is 5%...I have tried apple cider vinegar but it takes away from the taste of the peppers...

first off...gather needed supplies...Vinegar, Sea Salt, Agave Nectar, Blender (you definitely need a high speed heavy duty blender - this is a heavy duty Centaur used in bars to make daquiri's), scale (metric), measuring spoon, measuring cup, and fresh peppers...

in this case, I am making some puree using yellow scorpions...

07-15-12a002.jpg

I already have a batch cooking down that is Scorpion and 7 Pot...notice, I have moved outside...you sure don't want to cook this stuff down inside if your exhaust fan doesn't exhaust outside and won't keep up with the fumes...

notice the bamboo skewer on the left side...and the red marks on it....you want to reduce this product by 25%...the "deepest" mark is where I started and the "shallowist mark" is where I will stop...

07-15-12a003.jpg

comments/questions/discussion appreciated...

more pics coming of pureeing the peppers a little later..

forgot to say, you want to keep the puree on a very slow boil...if you don't you will scortch them....and when you stir the boiling puree, be careful of the bubbles popping...this hurts already...I will have hunan hand all day long now...

07-15-12b001.jpg

Like this recipe, AJ :) One random thing that came to mind was "Ooooh, this may be good with honey." (Caffeine still hasn't kicked in so my mind is going all ADD on me this morning, I know). I don't suppose you've had a chance to try this puree out with honey as a sub for the agave nectar?

Like this recipe, AJ :) One random thing that came to mind was "Ooooh, this may be good with honey." (Caffeine still hasn't kicked in so my mind is going all ADD on me this morning, I know). I don't suppose you've had a chance to try this puree out with honey as a sub for the agave nectar?

I have tried sugar, honey, maple syrup, and a lot of sugar substitutes....Agave nectar is the best for preserving the fresh pepper taste IMO...you can use anything you like and even leave the sweetening out if you wish...

I have tried sugar, honey, maple syrup, and a lot of sugar substitutes....Agave nectar is the best for preserving the fresh pepper taste IMO...you can use anything you like and even leave the sweetening out if you wish...

Gotcha :) Thanks!

Frozen Pepper Daiquiri.....................Capsaicin Smoothie!.............Ha, not quite but after finding this thread and seeing how easy it looks I thought I'd give "AJ's" puree recipe a whirl.........my freezers pretty filled with frozen peppers and this is a great solution on what to do.

Here's my version with some small modifications....I'm using a mixed variety of peppers consisting od "Scorps, Naga's, Bhuts, Savina's and Congo's".
I'm also fond of Cane Vinegar when making my hot sauces and I normally use evaporated Cane Juice and Cane Sugar in the process. But I'd like to stay with the original recipe so I opted for the Agave syrup since its neutral but sweet. Honey has its place in the kitchen but would impart on the pepper flavor in this recipe. I see "AJ" using salt with the Yellow 7's and probably uses it with the red Scorps also. I use a pinch of salt in everything from pancake batter to etching the rim of a Margarita glass. I feel it brings out the flavor of the main ingredient. Heck, ...they even use "Fleur de Sel" in ice cream................go figure...

IMG_3960.jpg

Anyways, after deseeding the peppers I'll mix those in batches with minimal vinegar until the solution is smooth and silky

IMG_3967.jpg

Alright..........now for the 25% reduction. Keep stirring the puree...................de-dum-de-dum-de-dum..................1 hr later its De-Done..

IMG_3974.jpg

Fill the jars and place them into the pressure canner. I decided to use 1 pt wide mouth jars. I ended up with 11 total. As AJ, states...... 15 min at 10 psi
While the canner is doing its thing I decided to clean the residue from the stockpot. Hell, I don't think I coughed so much since the "70's"......lol

IMG_3993.jpg

Here's the final product...................this stuff will hug the back of your spoon...

Finally the taste test...........................dam good!.................. "Sweat City"
Thanks Ronnie for putting this up. I've always read raving reviews on your Scorpion Puree.....
I hope others will follow this is far more simple then tweeking der hot sauce..........

Next time..................."Scotch Bonnet Puree"

Greg

Interesting mix...but I'm curious as to how seemingly conflicting flavor profiles mesh into a uniform "sauce". Trini's and Nagas...never used them together due to their unique taste(s). I know the heat was off the charts...but how was the flavor?

well done Greg...the color is awesome....

Interesting mix...but I'm curious as to how seemingly conflicting flavor profiles mesh into a uniform "sauce". Trini's and Nagas...never used them together due to their unique taste(s). I know the heat was off the charts...but how was the flavor?
LB,You're right the heat is pretty intense, a straight spoon of it would not fair well with the weak at heart. As far as the flavor...I'm satisfied. There's no background "twang" that circles the "Ghost Pepper" type sauces. At the end of the season I always make a hot sauce with a combo of Congo Reds and Caribbean Reds. They compliment each other, but using either one individually in a sauce lacks the full body flavor........that's only my opinion.When I have enough "Bonnets" at the end of the season I intend to do the same type of puree. Out of 30 plants I should have enough "Jamaicans"...............ha

Ya mon this Thread be jammin. Shoot. Thanks AJ for the pictorial tutorial. Some like me....require visuals. Will make this when the time comes.

Greg. Love your choice of vinegar. Although I prefer silver swan. Datu puti still rocks. We be jammin...

I so can't wait to give this a shot. I'm gonna use the box of morugas and 7 Pot I bought from PL yesterday and give it a shot. Several of my buddies in my D&D group are clamoring for me to get some hot sauce/puree made already lol

Back