• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

tutorial Making some puree today...will post pics of the process....it's easy....

I have posted my recipe of the puree I make but don't think I have ever gone through the process with pictures...it's pretty simple....just time consuming...to me, this recipe preserves the fresh taste of the peppers and is great for cooking (or adding to bloody mary's)

The recipe is:

100 grams fresh peppers
60 ml 5% White Distilled Vinegar
1 tsp agave nectar
1/4 tsp sea salt

you can use any pepper you want...and you can use whatever vinegar you want as long as it is 5%...I have tried apple cider vinegar but it takes away from the taste of the peppers...

first off...gather needed supplies...Vinegar, Sea Salt, Agave Nectar, Blender (you definitely need a high speed heavy duty blender - this is a heavy duty Centaur used in bars to make daquiri's), scale (metric), measuring spoon, measuring cup, and fresh peppers...

in this case, I am making some puree using yellow scorpions...

07-15-12a002.jpg

I already have a batch cooking down that is Scorpion and 7 Pot...notice, I have moved outside...you sure don't want to cook this stuff down inside if your exhaust fan doesn't exhaust outside and won't keep up with the fumes...

notice the bamboo skewer on the left side...and the red marks on it....you want to reduce this product by 25%...the "deepest" mark is where I started and the "shallowist mark" is where I will stop...

07-15-12a003.jpg

comments/questions/discussion appreciated...

more pics coming of pureeing the peppers a little later..

forgot to say, you want to keep the puree on a very slow boil...if you don't you will scortch them....and when you stir the boiling puree, be careful of the bubbles popping...this hurts already...I will have hunan hand all day long now...

07-15-12b001.jpg

Looking good there AJ! Like the simplicity of the ingredients you are working with. Awaiting the updates. Hunan hands are the small sacrifice we make to mess around with hot peppers.

How does a "puree" differ in consistency from a typical smooth "sauce"?

Organic Blue Agave Necter - kinky. Where does one find such a necter? I do not believe my local fine foods purveyor has that.

nice!!!! keep the pics coming

the puree has been cooking down for a little over an hour and probably 30 more minutes to go...

Looking good there AJ! Like the simplicity of the ingredients you are working with. Awaiting the updates. Hunan hands are the small sacrifice we make to mess around with hot peppers.

How does a "puree" differ in consistency from a typical smooth "sauce"?

Organic Blue Agave Necter - kinky. Where does one find such a necter? I do not believe my local fine foods purveyor has that.

the puree is just a thicker consistency...kinda like jelly to thin jam...and this is the way I preserve my peppers for future use...cooking, making sauces, straight in to my mary's....

I got this at Sam's or Costco...came in a 6 pack and I swooped it up...it is great...several times sweeter than cane sugar....ever sucked on a honeysuckle blossom?...that's what it tastes like...I just use a little of it...maybe 1 or 1.5 Tbsp per gallon

you guys are nuts....the first 40 years of my life, I worked with my hands, mostly sheet metal erection in paper mills...heavy, hard, hot, sweaty work with all the danger you can stand...after than I decided to get a desk job and make more money... :)

OK

Puree is perfectly reduced...

07-15-12c002.jpg

don't know whether you can see the texture or not but I tried...

07-15-12c005.jpg

should have been sterilizing my jars....I'm a dummy, now I gotta wait another 45 minutes or an hour before I can process...12 4 ounce jars....

07-15-12c001.jpg

Utensils, bands and tops, tops in hot water on stove to make the seal more pliable...not boiling, just hot...and the puree...

07-15-12c004.jpg

got 10 4 ounce jars from about 600 grams of pods...the average weight of the pods is between 5-7 gms...so there are call it 100 pods in 10 jars or 10 pods per jar...

07-15-12d001.jpg

put the lids on and they are now processing...will process for 15 minutes at 10 psig...

thanks Jamison...

thanks TB, and like you, I am well satisfied with the color...

first run complete....7 Pot and Scorpion mix....this is gonna be good....

07-15-12f001.jpg

second run under way....

my blender will hold 300 grams plus other ingredients...

e001.jpg

flip of the switch to high of blender...(I think high speed is 16K rpm if I remember correctly)

e002.jpg

30 seconds into grinding...

e003.jpg

one minute....

e004.jpg

to reduction....this will probably take 2 hours to cook down...

07-15-12f003.jpg

Cool How to pics AJ! The little bit I made this weekend flat wore me out. Gotta keep hammering on it though before the real part of the season gets here. I know I've said this several times in the past, but thanks again for posting your recipe for the rest of us to follow.

Mike

YW cap...it is really not hard to make, just time consuming...I harvest yellows again tomorrow....why on earth did I grow so many yellows this year...

the recipe originally came from billyboy ( aussie member that doesn't show up much any more :( )

He was using sugar in the recipe and I just stubtituted the agave nectar for the sugar...so all the accolades go to BB...wish he would come back and visit....that boy is a master grower...just ask Nova..

I am really diggin this thread AJ. Your purees are famous in these parts.
It's really cool to see it done, and has me thinking maybe I can do this!
Is that Centaur bolted down? lol It looks like that thing could eat nuts and bolts.

I like how Jackson is looking on with cautious interest. :D

I am really diggin this thread AJ. Your purees are famous in these parts.
It's really cool to see it done, and has me thinking maybe I can do this!
Is that Centaur bolted down? lol It looks like that thing could eat nuts and bolts.

I like how Jackson is looking on with cautious interest. :D

man, you see the trick...there ain't one...very very simple....and honestly I think they preserve the pepper taste better than any other I have tried...

:lol: the centaur has four heavy duty suction cups on it...it don't walk...heck, it's a 1 hp unit....

Ike is helping me to make sure I follow the instructions... ;)

Looks awesome!

ty bro....

finished for the day...got another 7 half-pints put up of Yellow Scorpions...getting some separation....didn't cook it down long enough...oh well...these are still good, just a little more liquid than I prefer...

07-15-12h001.jpg

gotta pick yellows again tomorrow and will have enough for about another 12 half-pints or so...

Aww man, my foot tastes awful, I thought his name was Stonewall Jackson Walley. Scovie FAIL!

no fail brother...I wanted to name him exactly as you said SJW, but Ike is Linda's dog and she named him after Hurricane Ike that hit Houston 4 years ago...we think he got loose during the hurricane and was a street dog until he got picked up by the Houston shelter...so Linda named him Ike and calls him General Ike a lot of the time...

Great thread AJ! Colors on the purees are outstanding.

thank you sir....

Fantastic idea and mighty fine colors. I have a counter full of peppers and think I may get to making some of that (perhaps substituting a little honey for the agave). Thanks for the post and the pics.

Back