• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Marturos 2024 Glog.

It's that time of the year, cold & gloomy outside, & inside the magic is happening. Those little green pepper plants are pushing up
towards the artificial sun. Who came up first? The early Jalapeño, Serrano, & the Sugar Rush Stripy. A little game we play LOL.

This is the best set up we have ever had before. 4 LED grow lights 2 heating mats, room stays at 66 F at night & 74 F during the day.
With 22 varieties & 50 plants we hope to have a real special grow for the 24 season, with a lot of great tasting peppers. 😀

When I joined THP I had just moved from Fluorescents lights to the new LED lights. Outside everything is about the same, it's the indoor
adventure that has changed for the better. Compact high output grow lights, heating mats instead of heating cables without thermostats
it's a lot of fun once again.

This is my first Glog. Welcome to the ride. :welcome:

1708553902455.png

1708554125760.png

1708554259577.png

1708554340777.png

Grow list:

1. Antep Aci Dolma
2. Aji Panca
3. Aji Strawberry drop
4. Sugar Rush Stripy
5. Aji Pineapple
6. Aji Chombo Amarillo
7. Aji Fantasy
8. Pasilla Oaxaca
9. Pasillo Apaseo
10. Pasilla Mixe
11. Chilhuacle Negro
12. Aji Chombo Rojo
13. Aji Rainforest
14. Brazilian Starfish
15. Jamaican Scotch Bonnet
16. Aji Charapita
17. Jigsaw ( ornamental )
18. Poblano Rojo
19. Early Jalapeño
20. Serrano
21. Lesya
22. Datil

When it rains it pours LOL.

2nd flush on the Scotch Bonnets. The first flush yielded just as many with very few bad pods.

1725717227806.png

That's a lot of scotchies. :dance:
1725717521394.png

A little over a pound of Aji Chombos a very tasty pepper from Panama, the plants are very hardy & need no staking.

1725717895588.png

Leysa & Antep Aci Dolma make for a great pimento cheese spread. The lesya is a tough grow they send out branches loaded with large pods then break. With the Antep Aci Dolma they make a great cheese dip, with spice. Cut pods in half & steam for 20 minutes let cool & skin slice & freeze.

1725718206572.png

Sugar Rush Stripy loved by Stink bugs & by me LOL. It's well worth the grow just be paitent they take a long time to ripen.
1725718432364.png

This is not a hot pepper, however it has many uses. The Lesya is from Ukraine a very thick walled sweet pepper that makes great stuffers & pimentos.

1726137345935.png

For Pimentos we cut the peppers in half, deseed & steam for 20 minutes, some peppers below are Antep Aci Dolma. we steam them but we don't skin them like the lesyas their skin is too thin to bother. The AADs have a heat much like Jalapeños & add that special kick to Pimento cheese spread.

1726137456220.png

When they cool just remove the skins, dice/slice & freeze.
1726137697319.png

Four pounds of Scotch bonnets after a loow sloow drying that leaves them Golden. :clap: By golly I believe he got it LOL.

1726138752333.png

@Marturo you're crushing it! Great work and beautiful harvest! I'm going to pick your brain in the future for dehydration tips. What do you do with the scotch bonnets after dehydrating? I always wondered if it would work to run them through a pepper grinder.

@Marturo you're crushing it! Great work and beautiful harvest! I'm going to pick your brain in the future for dehydration tips. What do you do with the scotch bonnets after dehydrating? I always wondered if it would work to run them through a pepper grinder.
Thank you @NJChilehead. We rehydrate the scotchies for Jerk, Rice & peas etc. They flake nicely in a coffee/pepper grinder & taste very good.

The key I found is to dry them low & slow to retain the colors & flavor. In a dehydrator I set it just above herbs setting, & dry until no longer pliable, not crispy & dark as with a higher heat & faster times.

Thank you @NJChilehead. We rehydrate the scotchies for Jerk, Rice & peas etc. They flake nicely in a coffee/pepper grinder & taste very good.

The key I found is to dry them low & slow to retain the colors & flavor. In a dehydrator I set it just above herbs setting, & dry until no longer pliable, not crispy & dark as with a higher heat & faster times.

...and if you dehydrate at 110F or less, you retain color and the seeds remain viable. Just an fyi.

You make jerk as well? I've done it a few times, love it. In a pinch I use Walkerswood seasoning. There are some great Jamaican restaurants near us too. I think I'm addicted...

Now that the SRS have been ripening faster than I can eat them it's Salsa time. These things are addicting.

1726322772467.png

A few of the peppers we are putting into the new batch less, the Aji rainforrest, Aji Pineapple & Aji Chombos for the hest.
1726322977476.png

I am beginning to like the Aji Chombo almost as much as, Nope! ain't gonna say it. 😅
1726323221378.png

Ten varieties of peppers.

Aji Rainforest
Aji Pineapple
Aji Strawberry
Aji Chombo
Scotch Bonnets
Brazilian Starfish
Lesya
Jalapeño
Serrano
Sugar Rush Peach Stripy

Onions
Garlic Roasted/Fresh
Tomatoes
Vinegar Apple cider, Red wine.

A long time later we got 24 1/2 pints, 4 pints of Death Wish. :hot:

1726532488636.png

1726532612509.png

This is a pepper I did not want to grow 🫣 but did at the request of my partner in peppers.
It's a Hybrid & I did not want my Heirlooms involved romantically.

It started as a back 40 isolated pepper & has turned into a real star this season all 4 plants.
I have been eating these super sweet peppers with unbelievable taste raw, sauteed & just off the plant.
While all the other peppers are slowing down these plants are still growing & flowering, with a huge load of peppers still on.

Yes I will grow 2 plants next season way off by themselves, they're just that good.. 😀

1727221049045.png

1727221221491.png

1727221415039.png

@Marturo I grew Sugar Rush Peach for the first time this year, it made a very good (although very mild) pepper jelly. I imagine that the Stripey would be phenomenal for it based on the way you describe it. Let me know if you want the recipe if you don't have one already.

Also, I'm about to start ordering seeds for next season, and was thinking about sourcing Aji Chombo from Baker Creek. How did the Baker Creek Aji Chombo stand up to the other one that you compared it to? Going to place that order soon if you give the thumbs up on the Baker Creek strain.

@Marturo I grew Sugar Rush Peach for the first time this year, it made a very good (although very mild) pepper jelly. I imagine that the Stripey would be phenomenal for it based on the way you describe it. Let me know if you want the recipe if you don't have one already.
I have a good Pineapple Bonnet recipe that we got for @MarcV . Stripy jelly sounds good, yes I would like it.

Also, I'm about to start ordering seeds for next season, and was thinking about sourcing Aji Chombo from Baker Creek. How did the Baker Creek Aji Chombo stand up to the other one that you compared it to? Going to place that order soon if you give the thumbs up on the Baker Creek strain.

The Aji Chombo I got from @Downriver & the one from BC both seem to be the same.
The plants are strong & load up with dark red pods with fantastic flavors.

Back