• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Matt's Review Series Standbyandfire: Savannah 7 Pot and Brown Moruga Scorpion

**Instead of starting a new thread for each review series, I am just going to be updating this thread with the series and pod.  Scroll down to see the most current update.**

So a big thanks to Vincent (Coheed196) for hooking it up with a box full of great pods to review.  After some drama with the post office, they got here in great shape.  I am going to do my best to go through as many as I can before they go soft.  

First up is the Sepia Serpent.  I really wanted to do the UBSC, but the Sepia is a thin-skinned pod and would go over quicker than any other pod in the box.  

The sepia impressed me with flavor, but didn't have the heat.  I tried the Douglah X Trinidad Scorpion S1 strain from Silver_Surfer last season and it had the great taste, but had some more heat.  

Slow build, and it lasted for about 3 minutes and then dropped off a bit.  The heat concentrated on the tongue and side of the mouth, but after it filtered through the normal chew, swallow, burn, it died down and left a dull burn.  

The good news is a got a boatload of pods that are sure to light me up good!

http://youtu.be/WDdr-tMdCgo

Ill be back in a few to respond to the comments, gotta do some chores....lol.

Watch in HD!

Thank God I came to the table with my man pants on, cuz this one took me for a nice ride.  After 2 straight pods that were kind of a let down in the heat department, I was really hoping to get kicked in the nuts (not for real...that would suck).  This one didn't disappoint.  

From the second that I cut this badboy open, I knew it was gonna be hot.  I could see the drops of oil on the placental walls.  

On Heat.  The heat was definitely up there.  It wasn't the hottest I have had, but it was in that wheelhouse.  It is the first of the season to really hit me that way, and it hit me HARD.  It was a builder, so I was waiting for it to hit me nice and hard, but before I knew it I was like....whoa, WHERE did that come from??

On Taste.  This thing has a nice, mildly citrusy taste.  You can detect the brain strain in there, but I don't have a guess as to the other pod.  Would go great in a sauce, powder, or fresh cooked.  

I received this, so I can't give a thorough assessment on the vigor and production, but everything that i have seen shows that it is a great producer.  It is still a hybrid, so I cant give a solid T1 on it.  

Heat: T1
Flavor: T2
Production: T2
Vigor: T2

PepperLover said:
COOL i like your reviews
Thanks Judy!  If you need a mere mortal to try out your Lava....you know who to call! lol. 

Fremp said:
Another good review!

Pretty exciting stuff! ;)
Thanks man, such a great box.  It is awesome to get stuff that isn't in your garden!

miksi said:
Sweet review! Will stay tuned for the rest!

cheers,
miksi
Thanks Miksi, you won't be disappointed!

Nigel said:
Really great reviews!!!
Thanks Nigel, it is great to be back in the swing!

Great reviews Matt. You should know better though than going out after 11 mins from a storm and expecting nice weather, gonna be swampy especially where your at. Either way back drop of garden was perfect and your review of each was excellent. Look forward to more reviews of that assorted box you got.

Seacowboy said:
Great reviews Matt. You should know better though than going out after 11 mins from a storm and expecting nice weather, gonna be swampy especially where your at. Either way back drop of garden was perfect and your review of each was excellent. Look forward to more reviews of that assorted box you got.
Thanks!  Yea, it got humid...QUICK!!  I really wanted to do it outside so I said screw it!

Boost313 said:
Nice box you got. An great reviews.
Thanks!  Vincent definitely hooked it up!

compmodder26 said:
I too am really digging the review location Matt.  Great reviews as always my friend!
Yea, it makes it look more "pepper friendly" instead of just my ugly wall!

Watch in HD!

I have been wanting to try the SB7J for a while now.  I planted 10 seeds a few seasons back and nothing germed, so I have kept my eyes open ever since then in hopes to get ahold of some more seeds and/or a fresh pod.  

On Heat.  If you are looking for something that is going to blow the doors off, you are going to be disappointed.  This is definitely just slightly above the bonnet/hab range.  Not even in the fatalii ballpark. The heat concentrated on the tip of the tongue and the lips.  But it is not always about heat, this thing will be much more versatile in the kitchen.  And this is where the taste comes in.  

On Taste.  There is no doubt about it, this is now my favorite tasting chili.  When you bite into a pepper, there is a certain level of expectation as far as taste goes, and this one made me take a double take.  It is like nothing I have ever tasted before.  Very fruit forward, and it totally made me forget about the heat.

Vigor and Production.  This is still an unstable hybrid, so it is very difficult to judge these two categories.  I have seen a lot of pods that are not true to form, but when they are.....they are beautiful.

Heat: T3.75
Flavor: T1
Production: T3/2
Vigor: T3/2

My GLog: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/39420-operation-golden-garden/

Great reviews Matt! Love the video and then the write-up. Keep it up!

Funny about the Sepia Serpent, the ones I am growing have blown my head off. Right up there with my Brains.

Top notch reviews Matt. You've convinced me to harden up and finally try a fresh pod of something hotter than a hab lol. 

saugapepper said:
Great reviews Matt! Love the video and then the write-up. Keep it up!

Funny about the Sepia Serpent, the ones I am growing have blown my head off. Right up there with my Brains.
Thanks!  I think that has been the standard with the Sepias.  I have come to the conclusion it was an off pod.  It happens, no big deal, I will just try one again in the future!

Nigel said:
Really nice work, Matt. Great photos as well as video. 
Thanks Nigel!

Cartz said:
Top notch reviews Matt. You've convinced me to harden up and finally try a fresh pod of something hotter than a hab lol. 
Just do it!  It really isn't that bad.  Prep your stomach and you should be fine.  The burn is temporary.   Good Luck! :)

Justaguy said:
The monster grows :rofl:

Looking good brother.
LOL. It really is all your fault...

Datil said:
Great job!
I really appreciate the bonus pics and text reviews!
The SB7J seems a great cross.

Cya

Datil
It is a great strain, I really loved it. Definitely getting a spot in the garden next year.

I just wanted to say thanks again to Vincent, the peppers were great and I enjoyed going through them.  I set up for one last review last night and picked the one that had the most "crunch" to it, but unfortunately it was not where it should have been so that tells me that I needed to seed and preserve them before they go bad.  I am glad you guys liked the reviews, and I have another pkg coming in a few days that will be just as much fun.  I will just be renaming this thread and ill post the vids and photos.  See ya back in a few days.
I won't give anything away...but I PROMISE you that you won't be disappointed.....there may be something in there that isn't even released yet..... :evillaugh:

Check out Steven's Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/standbyandfire

Check out Judy @ www.pepperlover.com

Bottom line up front...the brown moruga is the hottest thing that I have ever eaten in my life.  There were times during my hell where I questioned why in the world someone would ever need to have a pepper this hot....then I realized because idiots like me eat it...

On Heat.  Seein Jesus, speaking in tongues, forget stubbed your toe....think stubbed your arm.....into a  wood chipper....This baby did not disappoint in the heat department.  Full body de-animation during this ride.  Started in my legs, moved to my arms, then up to my face.  I don't know any other way to say that this thing is hotter than the sun.  

On Taste.  For such a freaking scorcher, this badboy had a great taste.  It wasnt an SB7J, but it had a solid flavor and was really tasty until the heat took over.  Kinda hard to dwell on the flavor when I was getting punched in the face with heat.

On Vigor and Production.  I think that I am gonna combine these and/or get rid of Vigor.  If it is a strong producer, who cares how big the plant is.  Ill do my best to describe the growth habits, but for this one it is a heavy producer.  Everyone that I know of that is growing it has said that it puts out loads of pods.  

Just as a note, after I got done with the last segment, I didnt make it 2 minutes before everything came back up...not fun!  But I immediately felt better, and there has been no residual stomach discomfort.  

Thanks Steven and Judy!

My GLog: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/39420-operation-golden-garden/

And I also have a few more to go through....I turned them around so it will be a nice and big SURPRISE!!

Back