• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Matt's Review Series Standbyandfire: Savannah 7 Pot and Brown Moruga Scorpion

That was quite a ride. I`m not sure I want to eat the one I have, after seeing that.

Amazing job!!!

Be well.

Great pod test Matt!!! Had me LMAO with your speaking in tongue. Well I would say its all down hill now lol. Keep up the good work my friend. :)
Oh, more pods to come your way bud! ;)

As I said on Youtube, that looked like it hurt a wee bit ;).  I understand your pain Matt.  Those are fricken brutal pods.  Also as I said on Youtube, that has the be the most entertaining review of the BMS I've watched thus far.  Excellent job my friend!

PepperLover said:
Wonderful reflective posting
Thanks Judy....for trying to kill me.  :)

Nigel said:
That was quite a ride. I`m not sure I want to eat the one I have, after seeing that.

Amazing job!!!

Be well.
I figured I would go after the biggest and baddest pod of the bunch, that way the rest are....well....yea.  They are all gonna hurt. 

But watching all you guys eat the whole pods convinced me to put my man pants on and come to the table.  It was definitely worse, I dont know if it would be "hotter", but it was more pod so it probably lasted a bit longer.

standbyandfire said:
Great pod test Matt!!! Had me LMAO with your speaking in tongue. Well I would say its all down hill now lol. Keep up the good work my friend. :)

Oh, more pods to come your way bud! ;)
LOL. Thanks, again....for trying to kill me.  lol.  You were right, the whole thing isn't much different.  I am guessing I would have hated my life just as much....

Looking forward to trying a few more.  I was torn between what to do next, and as karma would have it....I literally clicked the FB tab on my browser after I typed "I" and the beginning of the sentence, and guess who was on the top of my feed with the answer!
compmodder26 said:
As I said on Youtube, that looked like it hurt a wee bit ;).  I understand your pain Matt.  Those are fricken brutal pods.  Also as I said on Youtube, that has the be the most entertaining review of the BMS I've watched thus far.  Excellent job my friend!
Thanks man, there are a ton of guys doing great reviews.  I thought it was fun last season...this one is MUCH more fun.  Way more reviewers that are down to get rocked!

3/5King said:
Followed!
Thanks man!  I won't let you down...maybe....but that is the benefit of the Internet right, I can say anything and not have back it up right?? :dance:

The awsome reviews just keep on coming! That Brown Moruga looked way too painful to make it on to my growlist but the review, I hope you don't mind me saying, was really entertaining ;)!

Another great review. Looks like that Brown gave you the kick the balls you were looking for this year. Lol

Edit: Take that back. Looks like the savannah put the hurting on you.

Ill be back in the AM to respond to your comments, just know that I appreciate it....Aji....sorry bud couldn't keep this one G rated...let one slip. 

Now this is a shining example of how peppers hit people differently and how it is about impossible to REALLY tell what is the hottest without testing.  In reality, testing can go out the window because I was told that Ed had this pepper tested and it came out shy of 1 million SHU.  Now either he had a bad batch, I had a super pod, or more likely, peppers effect people differently.  To me, I judge heat on four things: Burn intensity, burn longevity, physical paralysis, and panic.  Directly comparing this to the Brown Moruga, the burn intensity and longevity was higher, the physical paralysis was more intense, and I definitely was in panic mode.  

On Heat.  No room for cheesy lines today, pure and utter pain.  I don't swear in my reviews, I do enough of that in life.  But today this pod made me drop the f-bomb.  I straight up hit panic mode and seriously considered turning the camera off and trying to crawl into a hole.  Unfortunately I knew that would do nothing so I just rode it out.  It was a very intense mouth burn, with lips feeling like they were cracked and then you got hot sauce in them.  I kept my timer going after the end of the video and the burn lasted on the lips for 51 minutes.  I had some stomach discomfort, but I sat on the couch for a bit and drank the other half of my TMudder elixer.  

On Taste.  It is really tough to describe the flavor, but I know that it was a different flavor, almost something I have never had.  I want to say there may have been a hint of bitterness but I can't really place it.  It was good, but I would need another go at it (which will never happen) to nail it down.

On Vigor and Production.  Judging on the size of the pod, this is a very healthy variety.  It is a hybrid, and as a hybrid it SHOULD have some variance from generation to generation.  But in this case, Ed said that these pods are pretty much spot on from the previous seasons so he is leaning more to a mutation than a cross.  

Heat: T1
Flavor: T2
Production: T1

I agree 100% that different pods affect people very differently and it isn`t always about the SHU. I`d expect these to be well over 1 million SHU. They really are very painful. Big blast you had there and I`m glad you rode it out. Nice work!!!

Thanks Nigel and AMG!  It was definitely a scorcher!

Watch in HD!

Check out Steven's Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/standbyandfire

I am wrapping up my series of reviews for Steven, I am gonna try to pull one more out on Wednesday if the pods hold up, but if not it has been a blast.  I was expecting this to hit me much harder just based on the parents, but surprisingly it had a nice mouthburn but wasn't too bad.

On Heat.  Not every pod can be a face melter, and in this case the heat really was a nice burn without really taking it near panic mode.  I have had yellows that were hotter than this.  But this shouldn't discount the pepper, as there was adequate mouth burn and it lasted for a good 20-30 minutes.  Sometimes with the hotter pods, I get hit really hard but the burning subsides much faster.  Nothing to write home about, but a nice mouth burn.

On Taste.  Since the ButchT is one of the parents, I was expecting a less than stellar taste, which was not the case.  Fruity, with a little citrus, but overall pleasant.  Would make a great sauce.  

On Vigor and Production.  I cannot attest to the vigor and production, as I have not grown this variety.

Heat: T3.5
Flavor: T2
Production: ?

Interesting cross that I would have expected to be hotter.

Great review and I`m very thankful that not all of them are face melters. Or worse, stomach crampers.  :P

KingChile said:
Hahaha!! Was that Savanah hot? lol
Just a bit. lol. 

GnomeGrown said:
Nice review and great pics!

:clap:
Thanks!

Nigel said:
Interesting cross that I would have expected to be hotter.

Great review and I`m very thankful that not all of them are face melters. Or worse, stomach crampers.  :P
Yea, pods were getting to the overripe stage and my tolerance was a bit all over the place because of the pods prior to that. 

Do you prep before you do a review?  I have tried a ton of things, and so far Tmudder's "elixer" works the best for me.  1/2 cup greek yogurt, 1 cup whole milk, a couple tbs of peanut butter, and a whole banana.  I throw some honey in there for extra sweetness.  Blend it and drink half before the review and the other half after.  You have to blend it to a liquid, eating the individual pieces won't work.  Something about creating a liquid barrier for the pod to be absorbed.

MGOLD86 said:
Do you prep before you do a review?  I have tried a ton of things, and so far Tmudder's "elixer" works the best for me.  1/2 cup greek yogurt, 1 cup whole milk, a couple tbs of peanut butter, and a whole banana.  I throw some honey in there for extra sweetness.  Blend it and drink half before the review and the other half after.  You have to blend it to a liquid, eating the individual pieces won't work.  Something about creating a liquid barrier for the pod to be absorbed.
Gonna have to give Todd's recipe a try methinks.  For medium heat superhots I'm fine, but I'm finding that anything above that, I wake up in the middle of the night with cramps.  My usual routine, which worked fine last year, was a PB sandwich and glass of milk before, then a glass of milk afterwards.  If the pod was really hot I would eat another PB sandwich.  As I said, that worked last year.  Not so much this year.  Last night was my breaking point.  I was up from 12:00 AM to 4:00 AM this morning.  Couldn't puke, though at times I really wanted to.

----------------------------------------------

Yes, Matt I do. Like Todd, I came up with a recipe that works for me. I haven`t seen his recipe before you posted this, but I think we are very much on the same page.

1 scoop protein powder (28 g protein)
2 heaped tbls peanut butter
1 banana,
12 oz water (tried milk, makes no difference if I use milk or water)
juice of 1 lime

Oh and I forgot - I add 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil as well.

Back