• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Meatfreak 2013

With some delay I sowed last sunday, 24 february. First I had doubts to start at all since it was already getting late in season but with all the varieties (thanks to all the great people I traded with!) I wanted to try I had to give it a try
biggrin.png
Keep in mind that the list was over 100 varieties, so I trimmed it down a lot. I intend to keep the 2 strongest plants of each variety except for the Piment d'Espelette. Some seeds are already old like the CGN (±8 years), so I got replacements in case the have popped up in 2 weeks.

zaaischema240213.jpg

The first one to germinate after 3 days was the Coyote Zan White (C. Chinense). The rest followed quickly
IMAG2299.jpg

Now almost a week later 69% has germinated:

7-Pot Brain Strain Yellow 4/4
Aji Panca 3/0
Ampuis 3/3
Ancho 3/3
Bhut Jolokia Mustard F2 3/1
Brito's Mystery Peach F3 3/3
Bubblegum 7 F3 3/2
CGN 16905 3/0
CGN 22796 3/0
Chilhuacle Amarillo 3/3
Chilhuacle Negro 3/3
Chilhuacle Rojo 3/3
Chimayo 9/9
Chinese 5 Color 3/3
Coyote Zan White 3/3
Devil Serrano 3/3
Devil's Tongue White 3/0
Dulce de Espana 3/2
El Oro de Ecuador (PI 585244) 3/3
Elephant's Ear 3/3
Fish Pepper 3/3
Gochu 4/4
Green Chinense 3/0
Guajillo 4/4
Habanero Galapagos Isabella 3/3
Habanero White Giant 3/1
Jalabanero F4 3/2
Jalapeño Apache F3 3/3
Jalapeño Ciclón 3/3
Jalapeño Colima 3/3
Jalapeño Coyame4/4
Jalapeño Craig’s Grande3/3
Jalapeño Dark Red 3/1
Jalapeño Dulce 3/3
Jalapeño Farmers Market Potato 3/2
Jalapeño Fooled You 3/3
Jalapeño Gigantia 3/3
Jalapeño Goliath 3/3
Jalapeño Ixtapa X3R 4/4
Jalapeño Jalapa 3/3
Jalapeño Jalastar 3/3
Jalapeño Mammoth 3/3
Jalapeño Master 2/0
Jalapeño Numex Jalmundo 3/3
Jalapeño PS 11435810 3/3
Jalapeño Tajin 3/3
Jalapeño Zapotec 3/2
Jalapeñona 3/2
Madame Jeanette "Long Strain" 3/3
Maldivian White 3/3
Petenero 3/1
Piment d'Espelette 12/6
Puya 3/0
Rocoto de Seda 3/0
Scotch Bonnet "P. Dreadie Strain" 3/2
Scotch Bonnet Belize 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Foodarama 3/0
Scotch Bonnet Jamaican Indian Red 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Orange "Bahama's Freeport Strain" 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Papa Joe's Mkt 3/0
Scotch Bonnet True Jamaican 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Yellow x 7-Pot Brainstrain Yellow F1 3/0
Sweet Chocolate 3/3
Sweet Pickle 3/3
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow 3/0
Urfa Biber 3/3
Waialua 3/0

The ones in the bottom are mostly the Scotch Bonnets, so they are a bit hard to see on the photo.
IMAG2314.jpg

IMAG2315.jpg

IMAG2316.jpg

Bit to much Chimayo seedlings in one hole
IMAG2317.jpg

IMAG2318.jpg

I re-potted the Chimayo seedlings tonight, I will give away most of them.

Stefan it’s great to see things are coloring up mon, everything looks great! Don’t forget to take a pic when the calyx turns red on your Bubblegum 7, I just got to see dat. Hope you have a great weekend mon ….

Hey Dave,

nice having you around :) Looking forward to seeing some pictures of your grow! The BJ Mustard is a creation of ajijoe and still in a very stage but I have hope it grows true. I didn't got the Coyote Zan White from Vladan otherwise it would have grown true indeed. I got it in a trade with someone along with some other varieties I wanted to grow but did not because I had my doubts if they were really true :( Although it didn't grow true, the Yellow Biquinho/Chupetinha is actually a nice variety, better flavor then the red one and just as productive. I will need to look for some reliable source for the Coyote Zan White for next season since I still want to try them :D All the pods on the Foodarama look like that, some even more gnarly. That was the first round of pods from the plant, it's now producing new flowers so maybe those will be better shaped?

WalkGood said:
Stefan it’s great to see things are coloring up mon, everything looks great! Don’t forget to take a pic when the calyx turns red on your Bubblegum 7, I just got to see dat. Hope you have a great weekend mon ….
Will definitely do that, Ramon. You have a great weekend as well!

It's all looking good Stefan, glad the Gochus and Chimoyo's are doing well for you! Everything else is looking great except for the water pooling up in the entrance of your hoophouse when it rains, but no harm done, eh?

Devv said:
I can see the plants are lovin' life!

Glad to see your getting some color, tell us what you think of that bubblegum once you try it.

Have a great weekend!
Not so sure if I'm gonna try and taste the bubblegum myself  :oops: I know it's way beyond my tolerance. Maybe I send it to a buddy of mine who did taste tests last season for me :P

stickman said:
It's all looking good Stefan, glad the Gochus and Chimoyo's are doing well for you! Everything else is looking great except for the water pooling up in the entrance of your hoophouse when it rains, but no harm done, eh?
Cheers, Rick. The water pooling up didn't do much harm luckily but I fixed it nonetheless. Wanna be in control of the water I'm giving to the plants inside and not nature :lol: The Gochu's take quite some time to ripe off, don't they? They were set around the same time as most of my pods that are now ripening off. I accidentally tear an upripe pod off 2 weeks ago but didn't heat any flavor or heat yet.

GA Growhead said:
Stefan, your bbg7 you showed looks exactly like my #2 plant. Mine just started to turn. :)
Hope the red bleeds up the stem for us.
Let's hope so, Jason. Hopefully this will happen this week already as I'm starting to get impatient :D

Went to the garden today to do a quick harvest and make some photo's.

The first two are from PIC1's amazing cross, Scotch Bonnet Yellow x 7-Pot Brainstrain Yellow F1. This is one sexy pod :D
IMAG3044.jpg

IMAG3045.jpg

Scotch Bonnet True Jamaican (WindChicken) Looks very true to me :)
IMAG3041.jpg

Bhut Jolokia Mustard is showing some color  :party: Color went from bright green, to dark green and now it's yellow/brownish.
IMAG3046.jpg

Not Maldivian White, colors of the pod looks a lot like the Fidalga Roxa I had going last season. Asked my source of the seeds if he had the plant next to a darker plant. Turned out he had a Pimenta de Neyde next to it?
IMAG3047.jpg

The other Maldivian White pods are turning orange :lol: oh well as long as it tastes good!
IMAG3048.jpg

My one and only CGN16905 plant, not hard to guess this is a Baccatum :lol: pods are pretty big and almost white in unripe stage. The other side of the plant is just as loaded!
IMAG3040.jpg

The quick harvest I was talking about. Pickles, cukes, long yard beans, zucchini and maters. 
IMAG3049.jpg

Cool photos !........... :woohoo:
Thanks for the update. ..Funk-a-delic !
All kinds of shapes with the cross.
Nice coloring on the Mustard Bhut...........wonder what that will taste like ?
Interesting colors on the Not Maldivian White
That Baccatum is loaded....looks like a  lemon/pineapple tasting chili.
Nice harvest, ah..............love those crisp pickles !

wahlee76 said:
Wonderful pics, the SB x Brainstrain cross like an errrrrr...finger? :P
Anyway, looks tasty and dangerous at the same time.

Funny man ;) thanks but all props goes to PIC1 for this creation :)

PIC 1 said:
Cool photos !........... :woohoo:
Thanks for the update. ..Funk-a-delic !
All kinds of shapes with the cross.
Nice coloring on the Mustard Bhut...........wonder what that will taste like ?
Interesting colors on the Not Maldivian White
That Baccatum is loaded....looks like a  lemon/pineapple tasting chili.
Nice harvest, ah..............love those crisp pickles !
No problem, Greg. I got 2 plants of it but the other don't have pods yet, just flowering.
If I feel brave, I will do a taste test of the mustard bhut but I can't promise anything :lol: I'm not so good at describing flavors.
The pods on the Not Maldivian White are about 2-3inch long and 1inch width. Shape looks a bit like a Hab x P. de Neyde.
I've only seen 2 pictures on the internet from the CGN16905 and they go from almost white to orange/red. Now the info on CGN varieties is pretty scarce so we will just have to wait and see :) They do look crunchy! Maybe I'll try an unripe pod to see what the flavor/heat is like.

Another day, time for some harvest pics :)

IMAG3053-1.jpg

Different kinds of Jalapeno's which I'm gonna pickle tomorrow. Later in season I will do some a profile pic and taste test of each one.
IMAG3062.jpg

The longest ones were 5 inch. Meet Jalapeño PS11435810. I expected even bigger but maybe later in season.
IMAG3055-1.jpg

IMAG3064.jpg

Left to right: Jalabanero F4 #1, Biker Flames F2 #1, Yellow Chupetinha, Chinese 5 Color, CGN 16905, Jalapeño Gigantia, Jalapeño Jalapa, Scotch Bonnet Orange "Bahama's Freeport Strain", Gochu, Chimayo, Aji Pineapple.
IMAG3065.jpg

IMAG3068.jpg

Upper reds are the Ampuis, under red the Jalabanero F4 #1 (the one with the purple flowers, also the stem is dark).
IMAG3069.jpg

Devv said:
Really glad to see the great pulls!
The Scotch Brain is an awesome looking pod!
One of my favorites also at the moment, Devv :) Also curious about the taste.

Spicegeist said:
That jalapeno is just absurd!

:cool:
I hope the next round is even bigger :lol: can't be to big with Jals :D

Wow Stefan things are in full swing for ya. Great to see after the slow start. Looks like you will be up to your eyeballs in pods, powders, and sauces soon. Wish I could grow jalapenos like you. Mine just turn to you know what every time the midsummer Florida heat sets in. I guess I need to make it my winter crop. 

Keep your grow on my man  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

romy6 said:
 Wow Stefan things are in full swing for ya. Great to see after the slow start. Looks like you will be up to your eyeballs in pods, powders, and sauces soon. Wish I could grow jalapenos like you. Mine just turn to you know what every time the midsummer Florida heat sets in. I guess I need to make it my winter crop. 

Keep your grow on my man  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:
Processed the Jals tonight, sliced and pickled them together with parts of the Ampuis. It's a very sweet pepper but nice to add for contrast. That's a great idea, Jamie! You should definitely make it your winter crop :D This is only about 1/5 of the total that was hanging on the plants. The rest was a bit to immature and I had more then enough for pickling. I'm just glad my Chinense are starting to produce also, I hope the other Scotch Bonnets taste as great as the Indian Red  :dance:

stickman said:
Ooh...nice poddage Stefan! Glad to hear you're busy putting your harvest up for the winter.

I sure did, Rick. Got 10 jars of pickled Jalapeno slices now. Probably need about 6 more to get through the winter :lol: and then some more to give away to family and friends.

IMAG3078.jpg

IMAG3077.jpg

These aren't the best pictures but you get the idea and they look really good!

That looks great.  I'd love to eat only vegetables during the winter I've grown during the summer in this way.  I'm too spoiled and accustomed to modern technology to make it happen quite yet...

Back