• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Meatfreak 2013

With some delay I sowed last sunday, 24 february. First I had doubts to start at all since it was already getting late in season but with all the varieties (thanks to all the great people I traded with!) I wanted to try I had to give it a try
biggrin.png
Keep in mind that the list was over 100 varieties, so I trimmed it down a lot. I intend to keep the 2 strongest plants of each variety except for the Piment d'Espelette. Some seeds are already old like the CGN (±8 years), so I got replacements in case the have popped up in 2 weeks.

zaaischema240213.jpg

The first one to germinate after 3 days was the Coyote Zan White (C. Chinense). The rest followed quickly
IMAG2299.jpg

Now almost a week later 69% has germinated:

7-Pot Brain Strain Yellow 4/4
Aji Panca 3/0
Ampuis 3/3
Ancho 3/3
Bhut Jolokia Mustard F2 3/1
Brito's Mystery Peach F3 3/3
Bubblegum 7 F3 3/2
CGN 16905 3/0
CGN 22796 3/0
Chilhuacle Amarillo 3/3
Chilhuacle Negro 3/3
Chilhuacle Rojo 3/3
Chimayo 9/9
Chinese 5 Color 3/3
Coyote Zan White 3/3
Devil Serrano 3/3
Devil's Tongue White 3/0
Dulce de Espana 3/2
El Oro de Ecuador (PI 585244) 3/3
Elephant's Ear 3/3
Fish Pepper 3/3
Gochu 4/4
Green Chinense 3/0
Guajillo 4/4
Habanero Galapagos Isabella 3/3
Habanero White Giant 3/1
Jalabanero F4 3/2
Jalapeño Apache F3 3/3
Jalapeño Ciclón 3/3
Jalapeño Colima 3/3
Jalapeño Coyame4/4
Jalapeño Craig’s Grande3/3
Jalapeño Dark Red 3/1
Jalapeño Dulce 3/3
Jalapeño Farmers Market Potato 3/2
Jalapeño Fooled You 3/3
Jalapeño Gigantia 3/3
Jalapeño Goliath 3/3
Jalapeño Ixtapa X3R 4/4
Jalapeño Jalapa 3/3
Jalapeño Jalastar 3/3
Jalapeño Mammoth 3/3
Jalapeño Master 2/0
Jalapeño Numex Jalmundo 3/3
Jalapeño PS 11435810 3/3
Jalapeño Tajin 3/3
Jalapeño Zapotec 3/2
Jalapeñona 3/2
Madame Jeanette "Long Strain" 3/3
Maldivian White 3/3
Petenero 3/1
Piment d'Espelette 12/6
Puya 3/0
Rocoto de Seda 3/0
Scotch Bonnet "P. Dreadie Strain" 3/2
Scotch Bonnet Belize 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Foodarama 3/0
Scotch Bonnet Jamaican Indian Red 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Orange "Bahama's Freeport Strain" 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Papa Joe's Mkt 3/0
Scotch Bonnet True Jamaican 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Yellow x 7-Pot Brainstrain Yellow F1 3/0
Sweet Chocolate 3/3
Sweet Pickle 3/3
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow 3/0
Urfa Biber 3/3
Waialua 3/0

The ones in the bottom are mostly the Scotch Bonnets, so they are a bit hard to see on the photo.
IMAG2314.jpg

IMAG2315.jpg

IMAG2316.jpg

Bit to much Chimayo seedlings in one hole
IMAG2317.jpg

IMAG2318.jpg

I re-potted the Chimayo seedlings tonight, I will give away most of them.

WalkGood said:
Stefan plants have exploded with color in your garden
importD35.gif
importD35.gif
importD35.gif
importD35.gif
and I'm loving it \o/

Thanks, Ramon :) I'm finally seeing more and more color each day.

Trippa said:
Some great varieties and loving the look of that Mustard Bhut ... gnarly to say the least ... Sweet work!!
GA Growhead said:
+1 gnarly mustard bhut!

Cheers, guys. Do love the look of that Bhut Mustard also, would be awesome if it even ripens off Mustard but nonetheless those are some gnarly looking pods :D

Devv said:
Very nice work there!

I had to go and look at a map, wow you're far North! And putting that greenhouse to good use, very impressive.
:lol: luckily I don't live all the way up North, our winters are still pretty mild and during the summer it's hotter then the rest of the country :) Still I would be lost without the greenhouse, you can't depend on the weather over here ;) Thanks for dropping by, Devv!
windchicken said:
Beautiful plants and pods you have there, Stefan, and I'm loving the greenhouse, too. You know it makes me especially happy to see all those Mexican chiles...Your Chilhuacle Negro pods are beautiful! I had completely forgotten about sending you seeds for Yellow Bouquet....I got those seeds from wayright back in 2012....He would be glad to know that one of his favorites "baccs" (as he calls them) is flourishing in the Netherlands.

Sorry, totally missed your reply, Gary  :oops: Really looking forward to tasting all those Mexican chiles :D The Yellow Bouquet is getting in shape and pumping out pods everywhere. Got 3 plants of it and it's crown get's bigger by the day.

Today I received some goodies from my buddy Lourens, thanks! They arrived in perfect shape, hope mine arrives soon :)

IMAG2997.jpg

Also the weather over here has changed a lot since yesterday. This morning when I was removing weeds, it started to rain so hard my other greenhouse got flooded. I knew the rain would gather at the opening but I didn't had the time to fix this. Will try and do this first thing tomorrow, don't want my maters to get sick. The ground inside is so dry the water was gone rather quickly :D

IMAG2995.jpg

Wow Stefan! Lots happening your side. Glad to see you got the seeds! I am sure your seeds will arrive... our postal service takes its time this side. WOa scary flooding there, but good to hear it drained off quickly. Here in Africa we get huge thunderstorms that either result in hail or massive flash floods... so it always pays to raise the rows and have the field at a slight slope :)

So Ramon received my package today and I received his :lol: Thanks for the fine seeds!

IMAG3013.jpg

The Scotch Bonnet MoA is on the list for next season for sure after I tasted the Scotch Bonnet Jamaican Indian Red tonight on my burgers. All I can say, they really delivered in flavor. The heat wasn't high but that's probably because the pods were formed when it was still cold outside. When I cut it open you instantly smelled the fruitiness aroma, I expected something like a fruity Habanero but the taste is completely different... I know you told me but I'm always skeptical  :oops: The taste was sweet and reminded me and the wife of cherries?! Does that makes sense? Anyway I loved it and now I can't wait to try the other varieties I got going :lol:

The plants are really shaping up, it things continue like this it's gonna be a killer season  :dance:
Ampuis, actually a sweet pepper but the pods look great.
IMAG3011.jpg

Jalapeño Jalapa, first ripe Jal this season.
IMAG3010.jpg

Jalabanero F4, the one with purple inside the flowers. These were formed when no other plants were flowering, therefor isolated seeds to grow out. The other Jalabanero plant next to it has white flowers and the stem is green.
IMAG3008.jpg

Biker Flames F2
IMAG3007.jpg

:woohoo: My Habanero White Giant is flowering and podding up!
IMAG3006.jpg

Fish pepper showing that he's really true ;)
IMAG2998.jpg

Waialua (PIC1) finally got pods. It grows very bushy and dense, one of the plants I give special attention ;)
IMAG3012.jpg

A none pepper pic.
IMAG3005.jpg

Some snack cukes, mini white cukes, Washington Cherry (pretty big for cherry), Sacharnaja Sliwa Krasnaja and Long Yard beans but I think those are already to far and not tender anymore?

PeriPeri said:
Wow Stefan! Lots happening your side. Glad to see you got the seeds! I am sure your seeds will arrive... our postal service takes its time this side. WOa scary flooding there, but good to hear it drained off quickly. Here in Africa we get huge thunderstorms that either result in hail or massive flash floods... so it always pays to raise the rows and have the field at a slight slope :)
I sure hope so, Lourens. Normally it doesn't rain so hard over here but these last few years the weather has gotten more extreme also. It won't happen again, I raised the ground a bit more and leveled the rest out so the water goes into the rest of the garden and not to the entrance of the tunnel :lol: Thanks again for the seeds, hope yours arrive soon!

Stefan, good to hear the seeds got there fine and seeing how great things are going there now I have no doubt you'll have monster MoAs next season ^_^
Interesting taste description on the Red Scotch Bonnet, now I want to try one as I love cherries. I've never grown the red or even tried one but IIRC Steve has one going and I hope he can spare a pod as I have some goodies for him to try as well.

Great harvest and pictures, keep up da great work mon and have a killer week \o/

Hey Stefan,
I hope that amount of rain was only a drink for the plants. Sometime we get a few days of ongoing amounts...The plants seem to thrive from it.
I agree the Waialua is very dense growing compared to many Jalapeno varieties. You'll probably be rewarded by heaps of pods. They grow in numerous clusters. Nice score with the MoA''s and Jamaican Reds from Ramon....very generous of him.  

WalkGood said:
Stefan, good to hear the seeds got there fine and seeing how great things are going there now I have no doubt you'll have monster MoAs next season ^_^
Interesting taste description on the Red Scotch Bonnet, now I want to try one as I love cherries. I've never grown the red or even tried one but IIRC Steve has one going and I hope he can spare a pod as I have some goodies for him to try as well.

Great harvest and pictures, keep up da great work mon and have a killer week \o/

Yeah, I know Ramon but it was the first thing to came to both our minds when we smelled it. My wife didn't taste however, she can't handle that heat :lol: I got some new pods forming on the plants now, will have to wait and still if they still have that taste. I can always send you some seeds of it by the end of the season :D You have a great week as well!

PIC 1 said:
Hey Stefan,
I hope that amount of rain was only a drink for the plants. Sometime we get a few days of ongoing amounts...The plants seem to thrive from it.
I agree the Waialua is very dense growing compared to many Jalapeno varieties. You'll probably be rewarded by heaps of pods. They grow in numerous clusters. Nice score with the MoA''s and Jamaican Reds from Ramon....very generous of him.  
Hey Greg, luckily the amount of rain was just a drink for the plants. When I left the garden the water was already gone in ground since it was very dry. I'm very cautious with the humidity since bead leaf spot and I have a bad relationship if you know what I mean. It's been my #1 enemy for 3 seasons now. I love the growth of the Waialua and like you said last time I checked it had over 20 pods forming already! Thanks for dropping by :)

NIce update stefan.  Is the mustard bhut your cross?  You have a ripe jalapeno before me.  I keep 
picking mine green for jalapeno jelly.  Still need to make more. ..I dried some orange blobs, and it
taste great.  They all will be going into the dehydrator as they ripen.

roper2008 said:
NIce update stefan.  Is the mustard bhut your cross?  You have a ripe jalapeno before me.  I keep 
picking mine green for jalapeno jelly.  Still need to make more. ..I dried some orange blobs, and it
taste great.  They all will be going into the dehydrator as they ripen.

Thanks, Linda. The Mustard Bhut is not my cross, it's another creation of ajijoe I'm growing out :) So far the podshape looks awesome, a few haven't grown for a week now so hopefully they will start to ripe off soon. Although I have been picking Jals, I just have so many. Actually got more ripe ones now. That Jalapeno Jelly sounds good! Care to share the recipe with me? Glad to hear about the Blob's, I didn't try drying them last year. Most of them ended up in a sambal and in my Jerk marinade. Good flavor and not to hot so I can add more and get more flavor into the Jerk.

saugapepper said:
Stefan, looking good! How is the weather in the Netherlands at the moment?

Keep those photos coming!

Conor
For our standards it's very hot, yesterday we broke the heat record. Had to work the afternoon shifts and that wasn't any fun at all with these temperatures going on. The plants however are loving it, I see more and more color every day. I have to start trellising the plants because of the weight of the pods. Did you got the seeds I've send you already?

Nice haul from Ramon, he sure does know how to spread the pepper love!

Plants are looking great! Glad to see some ripening!

I still say you're way north! at least compared to me :D

Good luck to you for the rest of the season and always cherish the rains!

Devv said:
Nice haul from Ramon, he sure does know how to spread the pepper love!

Plants are looking great! Glad to see some ripening!

I still say you're way north! at least compared to me :D

Good luck to you for the rest of the season and always cherish the rains!

Compared to you I am yeah :lol: I'm just glad we don't have over 100F the entire summer here, there's always this nice cool breeze from the water (live nearby the coast). It only rained for 2 days and now the heat is back on, forecasts says we're gonna have some rain this week and then dry again. That's just perfect weather, high temps with rain from time to time :D

Sanarda said:
Did you plant an Orange Blob?  If so how is it doing?
I haven't Pia, I did like it but since a lot of people were already growing it this season I skipped this one. I will have it next season again since it's really good in flavor and not to high on heat :)

I wish we had summers like this every year, it's just a huge difference since the last 2 seasons. The plants are loving it and it shows off :)

Bubblegum 7, thursday it started to ripe of and today it's already fully red. Now I have to wait and hope the calyx turns red!
IMAG3036.jpg

Gochu, these have really turned around and grown a lot. Thanks again for these Rick!
IMAG3031.jpg

Piment d'Espelette
IMAG3032.jpg

Chimayo, they stay rather low but that's my own fault for the neglect early in season
IMAG3033.jpg

Chilhuacle Rojo, Gary these have becoming one of the tallest plants I have at the moment :lol: In the bottom the pods are starting to ripe off and above that new pods are forming :D
IMAG3034.jpg

IMAG3035.jpg

Got a lot more going but it's hard to focus when temps are so high. Next time I will take the video camera and shoot a vid.

Hey Stefan-
Loving all the variety as usual, the Mustard Bhut Jolokia F2 is a new one to me as well, I have several Bhut crosses going this year.....next weekend I will shoot home for a few days and be suprised at the explosions that Missy has assured me is waiting.I had the Zan White C's as well, but I didn't get em in the dirt.Vladan's stuff is usually true from my experience anyway.That Foodarama Bonnet is looking gnarly for a Bonnet...
Have a good one-
DJ

Back