• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Meatfreak 2014 Glog

So I've started my grow a couple of weeks ago, 28th of January. I use the same setup as previous seasons, 2x 125watt CFL 6400K lights, black/white foil. First round were the Chinense, about 22 different varieties, mostly superhots and hots. Almost everything germinated within a week and with a total germ rate of 92% I was pretty pleased. I potted them up last week and they quickly showed new growth again. Well enough talk, this is what the plants looked like yesterday, 10 days after transplant and almost 4 weeks from start date.

IMAG3823_.jpg

IMAG3824_.jpg

Devil’s Tongue White (Jason/GA Growhead)
IMAG3825.jpg

This one is a beast, very rapid growth, big leaves and already branching out? Georgia Black (Jason/GA Growhead)
IMAG3828.jpg

IMAG3829.jpg

This season I'm growing out a couple of crosses from friends like Gary/Nagabrain Chocolate F-2, Mike/Elysium Oxide Bonnet and Jamie/Green Hornet F-2. Also some phenotypes that showed up at John's garden, 7 Pot Peach F-2 and 7 Pot Caramel F-2. Of course I'm also growing my own discovery from last season, Pimenta Lisa F-2. Got 2 seedlings going, one has the desired traits so far and the other one is green as grass. Looking forward to growing both out!

Last weekend I started up the second round, mostly Annuum and some Chinense I got in trades these last few weeks. Today the the first ones sprouted after merely 3 days and even Chinense! Well that's it for now, thanks for keeping up so far :D

meatfreak said:

Cheers, ronnie. That's an difficult question because it depends on which purpose you are growing an specific Jalapeno variety. Some are huge and wide which are excellent for stuffing but not so good when you wanna pickle them. I haven't tasted all the 7 varieties I'm growing this year, but the Agriset 4108 made an good impression. Good flavor and not to hot. Overall the Dulce and El Jefe has been the best tasting one for me. Both are also perfect for pickling.

That's great. Thanks for the reply!

Thanks to the lack of my maintenance of the plants a huge branch of my 7 Pot White or Habanero White Giant broke of completely :( Very sad because it was loaded with pods. Took of the ripe pods and almost every leave and put it in a bucket of water for the rest of the pods to ripen of. Also, after growing both Habanero White Giant and 7 Pot White, discussing with some guys whether the 7 Pot White truly exists I'm convinced it doesn't. So therefore I tag it as Habanero White Giant. The pods that I took of were huge. This one has really good genetics and hope to get enough viable seeds to reproduce it next season.

IMAG5318.jpg

IMAG5319_.jpg

Hey Stephan my condolences for the branch. Seeing this makes my eyes bleed! Have you tasted the 7Pot white? It does look more like a habanero to me. The smoothe skin looks too smoothe I think. But I imagine a taste test would very easily and quickly tell the two apart! Citrus flavours versus perfumed flavours.

Bummer that you lost a branch from a plant that was loaded with pods... it looked like you had it well supported too. :(  We've all done it though... I guess it's nature's way of reminding us how brittle pepper stems are.

No surprise to see so many nice-looking ripe pods Stefan. Hopefully that helps to take away some of the sting.

Too bad about the broken limb.  I've lost a few MoA stems.  As long as there is any connection remaining to the main trunk, I've started just leaving them attached as they lay.  That seems to work best to salvage some of the pods. 

I've wondered the same about the 7PW vs. GWH.  I'm growing the GWH from seeds I saved from my own pods last year (ultimately from RFC, I think) and two varieties of 7PW from THPers (gnslngr and GA Growhead).  The last time I looked a couple of days ago, nothing was starting to ripen, though.  The only first-person evidence I can find for the 7PW is from Grant at junglerain, and he says right out that he developed his version by crossing a 7 Pot Red with the GWH.

Devv said:
Sorry about the breakage, that branch was truly loaded down!
Sure was, felt pretty gutted but this was about an third of what was on the plant and the second plant is just as loaded up. Managed to pull a decent amount of seeds from the ripe pods so I'm happy.

GA Growhead said:
I feel the same way about the two. If not the same, then a cross of, that was back crossed back to the GWH.
I've grown both now, second time the 7 Pot White but it taste the same as the GWH.

PeriPeri said:
Hey Stephan my condolences for the branch. Seeing this makes my eyes bleed! Have you tasted the 7Pot white? It does look more like a habanero to me. The smoothe skin looks too smoothe I think. But I imagine a taste test would very easily and quickly tell the two apart! Citrus flavours versus perfumed flavours.
Thanks, Lourens. It's an Habanero for sure, you get the typical Hab smell when you cut it open, also the flavor is indeed more citrus. No 7 Pot flavor at all. The walls are actually pretty thick for an Habanero, thicker then the GWH I had last season.

stickman said:
Bummer that you lost a branch from a plant that was loaded with pods... it looked like you had it well supported too. :(  We've all done it though... I guess it's nature's way of reminding us how brittle pepper stems are.

No surprise to see so many nice-looking ripe pods Stefan. Hopefully that helps to take away some of the sting.
The branch that was attached to the main stem was almost 1 inch thick so it must have been the weight and perhaps my own doing as the branch was hanging low already. There's more ripe pods coming each day, we've been having some awesome weather again since the start of September. Night and day temps are good and we got sun half the day but the amount of light in a day gets lower of course. Hope this weather stays for another 3 weeks so that more pods get to ripen of.

Sawyer said:
Too bad about the broken limb.  I've lost a few MoA stems.  As long as there is any connection remaining to the main trunk, I've started just leaving them attached as they lay.  That seems to work best to salvage some of the pods. 

I've wondered the same about the 7PW vs. GWH.  I'm growing the GWH from seeds I saved from my own pods last year (ultimately from RFC, I think) and two varieties of 7PW from THPers (gnslngr and GA Growhead).  The last time I looked a couple of days ago, nothing was starting to ripen, though.  The only first-person evidence I can find for the 7PW is from Grant at junglerain, and he says right out that he developed his version by crossing a 7 Pot Red with the GWH.
I tend to do the same, John but this one was completely of. It must be really hard to get an white variety when crossing it with a red one. The red gene is really dominant so the chances are low but if he says so, I believe him. It just doesn't have any typical 7 Pot traits.

Try putting a banana with the unripe chili, close the plastic bag (bread bag or other see through, and put it in a sunny sill. Then they ripe

arcticchili said:
Try putting a banana with the unripe chili, close the plastic bag (bread bag or other see through, and put it in a sunny sill. Then they ripe
Banana trick doesn't work for peppers, although a lot of people think it does. It has been proven. Thanks though. I'm using the vase technique I tested last year. I've put the branch in a vase with water, stripped of all leaves.

Where has it been proved? Thats weird cause earlier I broke of some CR when they were still green, but fully grown. I added a banana in a plastic bag with them and put it in the window sill. They all ripened and were crisp. The 3 I left outside went orange and then they got soft and started decomposing. Even though the Ethylene  (H2C=CH2) have less of an effect on peppers, it´s way better than nothing. 

meatfreak said:
Banana trick doesn't work for peppers, although a lot of people think it does. It has been proven. Thanks though. I'm using the vase technique I tested last year. I've put the branch in a vase with water, stripped of all leaves.

"TIMBER"..............I've cracked a few off the plant here and there. As a matter of fact I have a branch sitting in a 5 gallon bucket with rain water.....hmm, wonder if adding a bit of sugar will sweeten up the process.

Some folks claim that removing the petiole off the fruit will promote ripening quicker. I've been ripening  Tomatoes on my cast aluminum patio set. It doesn't get hot like a fruit baking on a windowsill....and breathes in the air. Too bad they don't ripen from the inside out....lol

My 7 Pot Whites are smooth also..and have thicker skin like a Hab. Sadly I haven't tried one yet...

Nice corking and those Farmer's

arcticchili said:
Where has it been proved? Thats weird cause earlier I broke of some CR when they were still green, but fully grown. I added a banana in a plastic bag with them and put it in the window sill. They all ripened and were crisp. The 3 I left outside went orange and then they got soft and started decomposing. Even though the Ethylene  (H2C=CH2) have less of an effect on peppers, it´s way better than nothing. 

http://www.mpg.de/5934313/peppers_ethylene_maturity

PIC 1 said:

"TIMBER"..............I've cracked a few off the plant here and there. As a matter of fact I have a branch sitting in a 5 gallon bucket with rain water.....hmm, wonder if adding a bit of sugar will sweeten up the process.

Some folks claim that removing the petiole off the fruit will promote ripening quicker. I've been ripening  Tomatoes on my cast aluminum patio set. It doesn't get hot like a fruit baking on a windowsill....and breathes in the air. Too bad they don't ripen from the inside out....lol

My 7 Pot Whites are smooth also..and have thicker skin like a Hab. Sadly I haven't tried one yet...

Nice corking and those Farmer's

Smart, Greg. That will work, haven't heard of adding sugar. Let me know how that works :) Mmm I thought the Coeur de Boeuf ripen from the inside out, same with the Canestrino I grew this season. The Whites do take their sweet time to ripen, but I saw today a lot more have started on my second plant :D Overall it's gonna be a killer harvest, with the great weather we've been having lots have ripen of now. Forecasts says 75F this Wednesday and Thursday! Really happy with those temps.

Back