• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Meatfreak 2014 Glog

So I've started my grow a couple of weeks ago, 28th of January. I use the same setup as previous seasons, 2x 125watt CFL 6400K lights, black/white foil. First round were the Chinense, about 22 different varieties, mostly superhots and hots. Almost everything germinated within a week and with a total germ rate of 92% I was pretty pleased. I potted them up last week and they quickly showed new growth again. Well enough talk, this is what the plants looked like yesterday, 10 days after transplant and almost 4 weeks from start date.

IMAG3823_.jpg

IMAG3824_.jpg

Devil’s Tongue White (Jason/GA Growhead)
IMAG3825.jpg

This one is a beast, very rapid growth, big leaves and already branching out? Georgia Black (Jason/GA Growhead)
IMAG3828.jpg

IMAG3829.jpg

This season I'm growing out a couple of crosses from friends like Gary/Nagabrain Chocolate F-2, Mike/Elysium Oxide Bonnet and Jamie/Green Hornet F-2. Also some phenotypes that showed up at John's garden, 7 Pot Peach F-2 and 7 Pot Caramel F-2. Of course I'm also growing my own discovery from last season, Pimenta Lisa F-2. Got 2 seedlings going, one has the desired traits so far and the other one is green as grass. Looking forward to growing both out!

Last weekend I started up the second round, mostly Annuum and some Chinense I got in trades these last few weeks. Today the the first ones sprouted after merely 3 days and even Chinense! Well that's it for now, thanks for keeping up so far :D

Devv said:
Love the BOC's they came out well!
Thanks, Scott. Hope the rest will get ripe in time. Today I cleaned out the tomato plants and pulled the last ones. Ended up with an even bigger harvest then the previous one. Got my work cut out tomorrow, sauce and salsa time :)
And even though this is a lot, I did had to throw away at least 2 buckets full of overripe and rotten fruits :( Mostly the Jersey Devil which I liked a lot. Will be on the growlist again next season.

IMAG5240.jpg

IMAG5241_.jpg

IMAG5243_.jpg

IMAG5242_.jpg

IMAG5244_.jpg

Looking good Stefan!

Tomatoes are what got me into gardening, and then it expanded from there. Now we try to grow what we buy, so we don't have too ;)

It's so much better tasting and just better for you.

Nice 'Maters Stefan! Greg's right... you've got the gnarliest-looking BOC pods I've seen this season. :dance:

Some of my PL pods are finally starting to turn white with a purple blush, but I hope if I wait a little longer they'll turn orange like they did for Jamie.

Keep up the good work my friend!

patrick said:
Dang Stefan, those Scotch Brains look like something the Italians would grow. Great job!
Thanks for dropping by Patrick. How have you been my friend?!

Devv said:
Looking good Stefan!

Tomatoes are what got me into gardening, and then it expanded from there. Now we try to grow what we buy, so we don't have too ;)

It's so much better tasting and just better for you.
Your right about that, Scott but this amount was a bit to much to handle at the moment :lol: Have been in the kitchen all day till night. Guess I should have listen to the wife when she told me not to have to much plants :lol: Learned my lesson :P

stickman said:
Nice 'Maters Stefan! Greg's right... you've got the gnarliest-looking BOC pods I've seen this season. :dance:

Some of my PL pods are finally starting to turn white with a purple blush, but I hope if I wait a little longer they'll turn orange like they did for Jamie.

Keep up the good work my friend!
Thanks, Rick. Those BOC's are really pretty pods, love the bright orange color on them. The rest of my pods on the plant look mostly like the left one on the picture and are smaller. I don't think your PL's will go peach/orange because then it would have had happen by now. The Peach pheno over here is really prolific, has some great genes for sure.

Sawyer said:
I bet your kitchen is smelling good right about now.
It sure did, John :D

ronniedeb said:
Great Tomato Harvest. Jersey Devil is a new one for me. I'm in a battle to harvest my tomatoes before they succumb to the mould.

romy6 said:
Damn that is a shat ton of maters Stefan . U got mad skillz  :party:
Cheers, bro!

So the fruit of my labor, 29 jars of basic tomato sauce.
IMAG5258.jpg

And 26 jars of salsa, mostly mild but did make 6 hot ones by using the BOC pods.
IMAG5255.jpg

Still haven't processed everything but will make some more basic sauce tomorrow. Got more then enough salsa to last till next season :)
Went to water the peppers tonight and took some pictures. Lot's of ripening action going on since we've had a good sunny week, hope this weather last the entire month and October if I get to pick :P

Nagabrain Chocolate F-2 (Jamie), branches are so heavily loaded that they are reaching for the ground.
IMAG5289.jpg

Jwala (PeriPeri) These make a great Sambal, great flavor and heat with an fruity aftertaste?!
IMAG5284.jpg

Jataka F-1 Seems like all the pods are ripening at once, this is just 1 plant and you can't even see all the pods that are on it. Also one I will use when making Sambal.
IMAG5267.jpg

Thai Demon, just one of it's branches.
IMAG5283.jpg

Orange Thai, pods aren't erected and a lot bigger then the Demon variety.
IMAG5280.jpg

Pimenta Lisa, correct phenotype.
IMAG5269.jpg

IMAG5265.jpg

Pimenta Lisa, green plant, peach pods.
IMAG5268.jpg

tbc...

HAJ said:
Lisa looks good. How is the taste in the white/correct phenotype ?
It's fruity but not as strong as the Peach pheno. That one does taste better. The flavor of the correct phenotype reminds me of the Fidalga Roxa.

Green Hornet F-2 (Jamie)
IMAG5288.jpg

Morado (Jamie)
IMAG5287.jpg

7 Pot White, reflection made them yellow  
no.gif

IMAG5285.jpg

Devil's Tongue Chocolate, third phenotype. All 3 plants have pods with different shapes.

IMAG5282.jpg

Jaloro
IMAG5278.jpg

Jalapeño Felicity
IMAG5277FELICITY.jpg

Jalapeño Agriset 4108
IMAG5275AGRISET.jpg

Jalapeño Tormenta
IMAG5274TORMENTA.jpg

Jalapeño El Rey
IMAG5272ELREY.jpg

Jalapeño Talon
IMAG5271TALON.jpg

Devv said:
Woot!

Good stuff Stefan!

Bump and glad to see the color!
Thanks for the bump, Scott. Only 2 more left for now.

Jalapeño Valor
IMAG5270.jpg

Found out these should have been Moruga yellow, according to a friend of mine that's more into superhots it's not as hot as a Moruga but pretty close.
Flavor is all there to but the plants already gave me over 4lbs in harvest and just keep on going. Maybe crossed with an Fatalii as they are more elongated?
IMAG5266.jpg

Hey Srephan my friend... simply awesome! Seeing the Jawala there in your patch puts a smile on my face... they do look good. As far as I know, they are an Indian Cayenne variety... great flavour - I agree :) You pods just look amazing! The last one looks definately like a Fatalii has crept in there somewhere... also looks super. I find yellow chillies like this are great for sauces as they just pop that red colour and make the red brighter :) Awesome, awesome, awesome... your glog is a real inspiration - thank you!

arcticchili said:
Got a question for you! I often make salsa, but how do you store them a year?? Whats the conservation method?
I assume you make fresh salsa and not cooked? I cook it and add lime juice and vinegar to conserve it. Last years supply lasted for 9 months and it was still good. After opening you gotta keep it in the fridge of course and use a clean sterile spoon when you take some out.

PeriPeri said:
Hey Srephan my friend... simply awesome! Seeing the Jawala there in your patch puts a smile on my face... they do look good. As far as I know, they are an Indian Cayenne variety... great flavour - I agree :) You pods just look amazing! The last one looks definately like a Fatalii has crept in there somewhere... also looks super. I find yellow chillies like this are great for sauces as they just pop that red colour and make the red brighter :) Awesome, awesome, awesome... your glog is a real inspiration - thank you!
Happy to put a smile on your face, Lourens and thanks for sharing this tasty one. I like it a lot! Yeah the upper part of the pods is gnarly like an moruga so it does have superhot genes in it. Yellow's are indeed excellent for sauces and puree.

romy6 said:
Outstanding :dance: I see chipolte powder in the near future my friend and those plants of yours are loaded down , :party:  Gonna be a bust beaver . 
Not as much as last year as it was a whole lot of effort to make it :P Only have a third of the plants I had last season :D

PIC 1 said:
Beautiful color on your Jalapeno plants!

I can also see those Jwala's incorporated into a Sambal....and also combined with some red Jalapeno's for a Sriracha style sauce.
Thanks for the idea, Greg. Hadn't thought about that, need to search for an good recipe because I have no idea how to make that. Haven't been so successful with making sauces in the past.

Couple of flowershots from my indoor grow... yes indoor :P
IMAG5291.jpg

IMAG5290.jpg

Fantastic plants and pods Meatfreak. I also have "India Jwala" this year, that are similar to yours. Super productive variety. After growing so many Jalapeno varieties, what is your favorite?

arcticchili said:
yes, off course. But do you boil the containers after bottling ? 

Nice crop, you have grasped the chili growing technique with grace
Yes, I do until it starts boiling again and then leave it in for about 5 minutes.

ronniedeb said:
Fantastic plants and pods Meatfreak. I also have "India Jwala" this year, that are similar to yours. Super productive variety. After growing so many Jalapeno varieties, what is your favorite?
Cheers, ronnie. That's an difficult question because it depends on which purpose you are growing an specific Jalapeno variety. Some are huge and wide which are excellent for stuffing but not so good when you wanna pickle them. I haven't tasted all the 7 varieties I'm growing this year, but the Agriset 4108 made an good impression. Good flavor and not to hot. Overall the Dulce and El Jefe has been the best tasting one for me. Both are also perfect for pickling.

Back