• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Mechanical Question

The oil dip stick on my lawn mower is also the cap to where you put the oil in the...um...oil thingie. Anyway, do I screw in the dip stick/cap to measure the oil, or do I just kinda set it on the oil spout hole?

gardenkiller said:
just set it in, if you twist it oil may splatter farther up on the stick and give an inaccurate reading.

That depend on whether or not the dipstick was threaded, right?

Sickmont said:
That depend on whether or not the dipstick was threaded, right?

Ok, don't confuse the nice blonde lady. She does that well enough on her own.

The top piece, the plug part, was what was threaded. The stick part was straight.

Being threaded will keep them from jarring loose or bouncing during operation. Especially in the case of a mower, if the dipstick was bouncing around dirt, dust, and who knows what else could find its way into the oil system of the engine due to lack of a good seal at the lip of the dipstick.

ahh..well i was thinking he meant the actual dipstick..i get the cap being threaded. cars don't have threaded ones..but somehow those things (i guess that bump?) stay in pretty good.

Yes, just pull it out and wipe it off. Set it back on, but don't screw it down. Pull it back off and check the level.

Can we make this more complicated please?
Just remove the dip stick cap thing. WIPE IT OFF WITH A PAPER TOWEL. place it back in without screwing it in. Lift it out. look at it. Add oil if needed.
You have to wipe it to get all of the oil off that splashed onto it wheeling it around.Good Luck.

Beleful eh? OK, I just thought people were venturing really far from the real question. Just read a couple of chapters of human paleopathology and try not to feel so baleful!Lol

Back