• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Megamoo's 2012/2013 Glog

I'm in a new house with much more space, better sheltered areas for plants and hopefully less disease in the environment. Unless I win the lottery and buy myself a mansion I'm good to stay here for a long time. The landlord knows about and is cool with the fluorescent light grow setups in the garage, and is happy for me to transform the outside into a chilli jungle. All signs point to a good season ahead.

Winter has just begun, and I've got the germinating and growing on stations setup. Chilli seeds are in the post flying to my door.

This is the current seed list I have to choose from, including varieties ordered but yet to arrive.

7 Pot Brainstrain
7 Pot Yellow
Aji Amarillo
Aji Cristal
Aji Lemon
Aji Panca
Aji Pineapple
Anaheim
Antillais Caribbean
Aribibi Gusano
Baccio De Satana
Bahamian Bird Pepper
Bahamian Goat Pepper
Beni Highlands
Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia x Habanero White Giant
Bhut Jolokia x Pimenta De Neyde
Big Jim
Bih Jolokia
Bishop's Crown
Black Prince
Blondie
Brazillian Pumpkin
Brazillian Starfish
Burke's Backyard Thai Chilli
Capsicum Californian Wonder
Capsicum Giant Bell
Capsicum Hungarian Yellow Wax Hot
Capsicum Sweet Banana
CGN 21469
Chihuacle Negro
Chilaca Pasilla
Chilli Cayenne Gold
Chilli Cayenne Red
Chilli Costa Rica
Chilli Habanero Red
Chilli Jalapeno
Chilli Poblano
Cochiti
Congo Brown
Corno Di Torro Rossi
Datil
Datil x Lemon
Dorset Naga
Douglah
Earbob
Early Jalapeno
Explosive Ember
Fatalii
Filipino Bell Pepper
Fresno
Giant Jalapeno
Goatsweed
Guampinha De Veado
Habanero Big Sun
Habanero Peach
Habanero Red
Hot Cherry
Hot Fish
Hot Pepper
Hot Wax
Hungarian Black
Jalapeno
Jalapeno Tam
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet
Jimmy Nardello
Joe's Long
Joker's Hat
Limo Blanco
Magnum Habanero
Manzano Amarillo
Maraca
Mystery Pepper
Naga Jolokia Purple
Naga Morich
Nagabon
Numex Twilight
Orange Habanero
Orange Lantern
Peppadew
Peruvian White Habanero
Peter Pepper Orange
Peter Pepper Red
Pimenta De Neyde
Pimenta Di Bico
Piquillo
Purple Tiger
Pusa Jwala
Red Hot Cherry
Rocoto Peru Bitumi
Scotch Bonnet TFM
Serrano
Siling Labuyo
Tabasco
Takanotsume
Thai Cayenne
Thai Orange
Thai Prik Mann
Thai Yellow
Topaz Chilli
Trinidad 7Pot Jonah
Trinidad Perfume
Trinidad Scorpion
Trinidad Scorpion (stingerless)
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
Uyababa
Vietato
Wasp
White Labuyo
Wild Tepin
Zapotec Jalapeno

Many of these are just one or two seeds leftover from old stock and I won't be planting everything. A lot of the ornamentals will be getting just one plant. I'm might still get some more 7pots and superhot varieties.

The garden beds need a little work, and retic needs to be sorted but I've got a few months to do that. I'll post pictures when I have them.

Did a bigger harvest today, once again anything with a bit of colour on it.
miteyharvest005_zps7fee79fe.jpg

Same picture with labels :)
mitey-harvest-005a_zps781cd06d.jpg

These are all the bad pods I could find. Much fewer than normal, good sign!
miteyharvest006_zps53352406.jpg

Look what the postman left for me today :D
miteyharvest001_zps9ee80407.jpg

Will release them when it gets cool tonight.

Go the mites! :party: Fancy styro and everything. Mine only come in a cardboard box. :mope: But at least they're in a cool tube thing inside the box. :D

Which ones did you get? The californicus or the monties? Either way, good luck with 'em... hope they smash them broad mite bastages for ya like they did for me! (Just be prepared to have to release more a couple months down the track though.... ;)).

Go the mites! :party: Fancy styro and everything. Mine only come in a cardboard box. :mope: But at least they're in a cool tube thing inside the box. :D

Which ones did you get? The californicus or the monties? Either way, good luck with 'em... hope they smash them broad mite bastages for ya like they did for me! (Just be prepared to have to release more a couple months down the track though.... ;)).
Neoseiulus cucumeris
http://manchilipmser...uced/cucumeris/

It has a hankering for thrips and broad mites. Only for WA for some reason?

"for heavy foliage" hahaha perfect ;)

Ah, I've heard of cucumeris. They are of the same genus as californicus (neoseiulus). Might be pretty similar.

On the page you linked: "Go for overkill of pests by releasing often." <--- quality advice. I find I have to release every two months or so. Right now it's been a few months and broad mite are taking over again. Just going to leave it now until next season. No point as I have started culling plants (and will be culling most of 'em).

Ah, I've heard of cucumeris. They are of the same genus as californicus (neoseiulus). Might be pretty similar.

On the page you linked: "Go for overkill of pests by releasing often." <--- quality advice. I find I have to release every two months or so. Right now it's been a few months and broad mite are taking over again. Just going to leave it now until next season. No point as I have started culling plants (and will be culling most of 'em).
I only wish I could see the carnage as they go on the rampage :D

hope you're saving the seeds from those perfumes, they look fantastic, got a close up?
Got plenty of seeds. All those pods are only from two plants. They are very productive.

Took the shadecloth off today.
bugs018_zps8b43c600.jpg

bugs015_zpsd26aaf0f.jpg

With the mite control in effect and the extra sun I expect to see a chilli avalanche.

Looking good mr moo , what's a box of those bad boys worth? Hope they rape pillage and plunder for u . Dropped my phone so trying to type on a smashed screen

Blazing barnicles... that is the motherload! Never mind brown bears jumping through rings of fire... thats like burning grizzlies freefalling through rings of magma!
Yeah it just keeps coming. And they plants are still not producing like they should.

Looking good mr moo , what's a box of those bad boys worth? Hope they rape pillage and plunder for u . Dropped my phone so trying to type on a smashed screen
I litre which equals 40 000 mites is about $30. It comes in a bag of vermiculite which you just sprinkle over the plants. Obviously its too early to tell how effective the mites will be but I recommend the company just for the service and quick delivery alone.
http://manchilipmservices.com.au/

It looks great already, and it will be downright spectacular when it is all podded up.
You will see when that happens :)

Wow your glog is going off dude! 5 pages since I last checked in. Nice looking pods brutha!! Lets do some swapping. I may have some you don't have yet. Probably not though. I hate those f**king grubs!!!!! Luckily the pods are ripening quicker than they can eat em

Holy testicle Tuesdays Batman!!! Nice harvest mega!!! Plants are looking spiffy and that box of mites may well mean even bigger harvests and plants!!

Look what the postman left for me today :D
miteyharvest001_zps9ee80407.jpg

Will release them when it gets cool tonight.
Allright Moo... The gloves are off! Hurt 'em for me too...

Chiles are looking exceptionally nice since you took off the shade cloths. Did I say before how much I like the fact that your plants are at the perfect hight to harvest/inspect without bending over! Lol

nice decision to fight fire w/ fire. :hell: The plants next to the new fence look quite nice as well. Ever tried a Jonah before? How hot are they supposed to be? Pretty hot right? I grew jamaican yellow scoth bonnet this past season. Very useful in many dishes.

Wow your glog is going off dude! 5 pages since I last checked in. Nice looking pods brutha!! Lets do some swapping. I may have some you don't have yet. Probably not though. I hate those f**king grubs!!!!! Luckily the pods are ripening quicker than they can eat em
Thanks Luke. I've been so busy all the pods have been going into the freezer whole and unprocessed.
The grubs have started to decline. Either I'm controlling them by removing all pods before the larvae have a chance to mature and thus breaking their breeding cycle... or they are being controlled by other good bugs. There are wasps and hover flies and other bugs I can't identify. Good news there :)

Great update Moo, nice harvest and can't wait to see pics after the mites do their job :)
Thanks. Me too!

Holy testicle Tuesdays Batman!!! Nice harvest mega!!! Plants are looking spiffy and that box of mites may well mean even bigger harvests and plants!!
I'm steadily taking over all available freezer space. I've even had to take some bags of pods to my parents house too. If production increases too much might have a real problem!

Allright Moo... The gloves are off! Hurt 'em for me too...

Chiles are looking exceptionally nice since you took off the shade cloths. Did I say before how much I like the fact that your plants are at the perfect hight to harvest/inspect without bending over! Lol
I can almost see their happy shock at suddenly getting a full blast of sun! There is a whole lot of new buddage sprouting up close too. I have to bend over to see under the canopy and find the hiding pods but its nothing compared to getting down on the ground! Raised beds are the way to go!

nice decision to fight fire w/ fire. :hell: The plants next to the new fence look quite nice as well. Ever tried a Jonah before? How hot are they supposed to be? Pretty hot right? I grew jamaican yellow scoth bonnet this past season. Very useful in many dishes.

The Jonahs are in that superhot range where its too hot to taste anything and my mouth just goes numb :P I like the look of the JSBs, its a pod with personality.

Ok this update is about BUGS

Firstly I have these little things all over the place and don't know what they are. Look like a half size black ladybug, and move about the same way. Anyone know?
bugs026_zps1b180773.jpg

bugs048_zpseaee3a3d.jpg

Hard to get a focused shot because they tend to crawl away from the camera. They don't appear to be causing any damage. Maybe a different type of ladybug?

These look like eggs of something.. don't know what.
bugs034_zps97f71a4f.jpg

Happy to see a few of these getting busy.
bugs036_zps73748452.jpg

bugs039_zps1fc5a068.jpg

But sadly I know why they've come.
bugs042_zps3d53522c.jpg

If you've been following my glog you might remember I said the ants were all over my plants but there were no aphids to be seen. Then I said they changed their mind and started farming. Now on further inspection it seems to be a different type of ant doing the aphid farming.
The original pollinating ants are smaller and the newer aphid farmers are bigger. That information doesn't really help me deal with them :P but hopefully the old ants out-compete the new ants and force them out.

And of course there is a mite massacre going on which I sadly don't have any pictures of.

Freaking mites and aphids...always trying to EFF up a good thing! Good to see the ladybug and hope your little mite busters get busy too...dunno what the little black bugs are??? Your pepper hedge looks fantastic with the top down...more pics please!

Great looking harvest, MM! That T. Perfume looks to be wildly productive. Same with the Bih Jolokia. Glad you got the good mites and seeing the ladybugs out and about. Sucks about the aphids and their farmers. Not sure what the black bugs are, either.

I bet theres a % of loss due to infestations & weather when we grow outdoors. Similar w/ retailers theres a % that they write-off annually to theft & breakage. I'm a small-time grower so I don't know what the typical/acceptable range is concerning my favorite plants- peppers ;). You still have your natural predators to release that will help mitigate some of the nuisance as well.

Back