• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Megamoo's 2012/2013 Glog

I'm in a new house with much more space, better sheltered areas for plants and hopefully less disease in the environment. Unless I win the lottery and buy myself a mansion I'm good to stay here for a long time. The landlord knows about and is cool with the fluorescent light grow setups in the garage, and is happy for me to transform the outside into a chilli jungle. All signs point to a good season ahead.

Winter has just begun, and I've got the germinating and growing on stations setup. Chilli seeds are in the post flying to my door.

This is the current seed list I have to choose from, including varieties ordered but yet to arrive.

7 Pot Brainstrain
7 Pot Yellow
Aji Amarillo
Aji Cristal
Aji Lemon
Aji Panca
Aji Pineapple
Anaheim
Antillais Caribbean
Aribibi Gusano
Baccio De Satana
Bahamian Bird Pepper
Bahamian Goat Pepper
Beni Highlands
Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia x Habanero White Giant
Bhut Jolokia x Pimenta De Neyde
Big Jim
Bih Jolokia
Bishop's Crown
Black Prince
Blondie
Brazillian Pumpkin
Brazillian Starfish
Burke's Backyard Thai Chilli
Capsicum Californian Wonder
Capsicum Giant Bell
Capsicum Hungarian Yellow Wax Hot
Capsicum Sweet Banana
CGN 21469
Chihuacle Negro
Chilaca Pasilla
Chilli Cayenne Gold
Chilli Cayenne Red
Chilli Costa Rica
Chilli Habanero Red
Chilli Jalapeno
Chilli Poblano
Cochiti
Congo Brown
Corno Di Torro Rossi
Datil
Datil x Lemon
Dorset Naga
Douglah
Earbob
Early Jalapeno
Explosive Ember
Fatalii
Filipino Bell Pepper
Fresno
Giant Jalapeno
Goatsweed
Guampinha De Veado
Habanero Big Sun
Habanero Peach
Habanero Red
Hot Cherry
Hot Fish
Hot Pepper
Hot Wax
Hungarian Black
Jalapeno
Jalapeno Tam
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet
Jimmy Nardello
Joe's Long
Joker's Hat
Limo Blanco
Magnum Habanero
Manzano Amarillo
Maraca
Mystery Pepper
Naga Jolokia Purple
Naga Morich
Nagabon
Numex Twilight
Orange Habanero
Orange Lantern
Peppadew
Peruvian White Habanero
Peter Pepper Orange
Peter Pepper Red
Pimenta De Neyde
Pimenta Di Bico
Piquillo
Purple Tiger
Pusa Jwala
Red Hot Cherry
Rocoto Peru Bitumi
Scotch Bonnet TFM
Serrano
Siling Labuyo
Tabasco
Takanotsume
Thai Cayenne
Thai Orange
Thai Prik Mann
Thai Yellow
Topaz Chilli
Trinidad 7Pot Jonah
Trinidad Perfume
Trinidad Scorpion
Trinidad Scorpion (stingerless)
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
Uyababa
Vietato
Wasp
White Labuyo
Wild Tepin
Zapotec Jalapeno

Many of these are just one or two seeds leftover from old stock and I won't be planting everything. A lot of the ornamentals will be getting just one plant. I'm might still get some more 7pots and superhot varieties.

The garden beds need a little work, and retic needs to be sorted but I've got a few months to do that. I'll post pictures when I have them.

Freaking mites and aphids...always trying to EFF up a good thing! Good to see the ladybug and hope your little mite busters get busy too...dunno what the little black bugs are??? Your pepper hedge looks fantastic with the top down...more pics please!
Great looking harvest, MM! That T. Perfume looks to be wildly productive. Same with the Bih Jolokia. Glad you got the good mites and seeing the ladybugs out and about. Sucks about the aphids and their farmers. Not sure what the black bugs are, either.
I bet theres a % of loss due to infestations & weather when we grow outdoors. Similar w/ retailers theres a % that they write-off annually to theft & breakage. I'm a small-time grower so I don't know what the typical/acceptable range is concerning my favorite plants- peppers ;). You still have your natural predators to release that will help mitigate some of the nuisance as well.
I really hate mites and aphids. Great pictures though!

Thanks everyone I appreciate the comments. :)

I know it sounds greedy or ungrateful and I've said it before but the plants haven't been producing what they are capable of. However I've been lucky that despite all the bug issues, most of them are balancing themselves out and could have been much worse... like my last season! All things considered I am getting good pods, losses are acceptable, there is still room for improvement and things are looking up :)

Some more pics.

This 7 Pot Brainstrain was with a bunch of excess seedlings that I put where they'd get watered by the grass sprinklers. After a month most had been knocked over and had died but this little battler never gave up. His never say die attitude has been rewarded with a big fat pot and a good place in the garden :)
theothers001_zps7c7b98af.jpg

I said things are looking up. Specifically I've fertilised with PK heavy stuff and now this is happening to everything.
theothers004_zps60386690.jpg

Possibly my first Fatalii has set :party:
theothers011_zps1ddb8219.jpg

Thanks to little tag pullers this is either a Congo Trinidad or 7 Pot Yellow, or Bhut Jolokia, or even something else entirely. Best guess is Congo Trinidad.
theothers013_zpsac3f38ec.jpg

The main chinense garden looks great and happy but I'll wait to take an after pic so the difference is more striking ;)

Meanwhile the `others` are finally feeling at home in their pots. Unfortunately the grass under them is feeling better! It must be loving all the pot soil nutrients that are washing out.
theothers008_zps716e77ec.jpg

theothers014_zps99a7b7e7.jpg

I'm stumped as to how to handle this. As far as I can figure, the only thing to do is move all the pots away, rip out the grass and put down some weed mat, then put all the pots back. But I'd have to buy the weed mat and the cash budgeted for this season has been spent. Plus that sounds like a bit of work :P If anyone has any ideas feel free to tell me. The plants have to go in that position because the retic is all set up there and can't be moved.

Some of the `others` pods.
Zimbabwe Black.
theothers019_zps1ab97216.jpg

Cherry tomatoes went in the worm farm and the seeds survived in the worm castings and sprouted in the pots :crazy:
theothers021_zps022be85e.jpg

more pics with a bump

bump, bbl to check dem out as I'm off to hit the hey :D

Goatsweed
theothers015_zps4d96acec.jpg

Tazmanian Red. Funny shaped pod.
theothers017_zpsd7c4bc4a.jpg

Rocotillo. It's a Baccatum not Pubescens as you might think. Big fat lobes on this one. (yes I bite my nails :oops: )
theothers023_zpsbe1c8a78.jpg

Hot Fish. Will need to stake because the pod weight is pulling it over. Not the happiest looking plant. Something's wrong with it, don't know what but it ain't right.
theothers025_zps465d561e.jpg

It's right next to this Charleston Hot. This one definitely isn't right! I know there's plenty of nutes in the soil so its not a deficiency. Maybe toxicity or pH lockout causing deficiency symptoms?
theothers028_zps5c900204.jpg

The Wildfire Chilli Yellow Moruga Scorpion I bought as a seedling has put some pods out.
theothers032_zps391c13f6.jpg

The pod is going sideways because it was caught in the fork.

Bhut Jolokia has a guardian :)
theothers040_zps1554ec31.jpg

Nice update megamoo! I feel you on the production or lack of. Last year was my first big season. I dug out a new garden bed. I tryed going organic, fertilizer wise, and learn that i was feeding on the extremely low side. I was doing AACT. Thought all was good. Plants got huge but seemed to stall out production wise. I turned it up just in time for winter and had a ton of pods not ever ripen and freeze to mush. I still got a ton of pods before the first frost, but like you mention, not nearly as much as i should have.
Sounds like you have an idea on why, and this year still sounds like it was better than your last, so write it off as a learning experience. The more we learn the better gardener we can become.
And from your last harvest, you look like your doing damn good!
Alway a pleasure to read your updates!
take care

Nice update Mega...that fish don't look happy fo-sho. Maybe too hot for them??? Hope you get it figured out brotha. Those Moruga looks nasty!!! :fireball:
It could be anything really, infection, something toxic in the soil, just a weak plant ? I think I'll flush it out real good and see if that does anything.
My other moruga yellow plant is giving me orange pods. The new ones do look good don't they :)

plants are looking good moo, though i do think its well past time to get the brush cutter and lawn mower out for a run. :P
I borrowed my parent's edge trimmer earlier in the year and broke it :P The head locked up and we can't get it undone. That's why the grass is going nuts all around the edges.

Nice update megamoo! I feel you on the production or lack of. Last year was my first big season. I dug out a new garden bed. I tryed going organic, fertilizer wise, and learn that i was feeding on the extremely low side. I was doing AACT. Thought all was good. Plants got huge but seemed to stall out production wise. I turned it up just in time for winter and had a ton of pods not ever ripen and freeze to mush. I still got a ton of pods before the first frost, but like you mention, not nearly as much as i should have.
Sounds like you have an idea on why, and this year still sounds like it was better than your last, so write it off as a learning experience. The more we learn the better gardener we can become.
And from your last harvest, you look like your doing damn good!
Alway a pleasure to read your updates!
take care
The huge growth has been almost all from the soil which was half mushroom compost and half sheep manure. It's obviously mostly nitrogen. Next season I'll add something else in there.

The growing season here is far from over. It stays warm enough to keep going hard through most of Autumn. I've had plants left out completely exposed all through winter with absolutely no attention and all that happened was they stopped making pods and lost a few leaves.

The mad scientist in me is having thoughts of putting up a poly tunnel type cover and kicking on thru winter ;) ;) It wouldn't take much effort at all :D Got a few months to think it over.

Don't know if you guys have seen but the days of free "open" trade of capsicum seeds world wide seems to be over. :( JR posted in the Aussie blabberers thread ... go and check it out if you are interested. Weird thing is I have received 3-4 packages in the past 2 months marked with capsicum or pepper seeds and they haven't been stopped??

Moo, great update and as usual I love dem pics mon!!!

... I think I'll flush it out real good and see if that does anything ... ...
Try mixing 3 ounces of dish soap per gallon and pour a few gallons in the first flush, wait 3 to 10 minutes and keep checking the surface of the soil for what looks like baby earth worms (really small ones) but they're really nematodes. I am not saying you have them but no harm will come from this check and if you do and rid dem your plant will do so much better.

Don't know if you guys have seen but the days of free "open" trade of capsicum seeds world wide seems to be over. :( JR posted in the Aussie blabberers thread ... go and check it out if you are interested. Weird thing is I have received 3-4 packages in the past 2 months marked with capsicum or pepper seeds and they haven't been stopped??
Nuts! That'll be a drag if so... not surprising that it would take some time to coordinate though... there's always somebody that doesn't get the word...

Mr moo an idea =less work , bit of wire and dangle the pots off the fence should solve ur lawn probs :)
Nah the drippers are on short tubes so they can't move at all. But I've figured out one way to do it now I've lined up my brothers whipper snipper for an extended stay ;) I'll move the pots off, then cut the grass, then take one panel of the fence out and back my ute up to it and I can shovel wood chips straight onto the area. The wood chip mulch will suppress the grass, at least for a while. These are the wood chips left on the side of the road from council bush pruning. Have to do some ninja moves to steal a load of it but the net cost is $0. Just a bit of labour. :D

Yeah I saw that. It just means we are going to have to do some smuggling. It will put an added level of excitement into waiting for seeds ;)

Moo, great update and as usual I love dem pics mon!!!

Try mixing 3 ounces of dish soap per gallon and pour a few gallons in the first flush, wait 3 to 10 minutes and keep checking the surface of the soil for what looks like baby earth worms (really small ones) but they're really nematodes. I am not saying you have them but no harm will come from this check and if you do and rid dem your plant will do so much better.
Thanks

I might have to do that, when I get the time.

Nuts! That'll be a drag if so... not surprising that it would take some time to coordinate though... there's always somebody that doesn't get the word...
I'm sure Australian seed vendors will have the resources and will to get seeds in. But if we can only buy second hand from them the cost will go up. :( Smuggling is definitely the way to go :D

Ok think I've had too much rum tonight. I'd better stop replying before I encourage more illegal behaviour.

Thanks, I might have to do that, when I get the time.

I only say this because I had a great plant last year that developed yellowing leaves that would eventually fall off. The plant also looked drained of nutriments, eventually even the green leaves looked droopy. I tried everything and even for the longest time thought is was either too much or too little water. Feeding it didn't even make a difference, till one day I did as I stated above and to my surprise I found the nematodes. Once I eliminated them that very plant came back to be one of my most prolific & lush plants in the lot. Now and then if I see that symptom again, I do the test as there's no harm that comes from that soapy water as long as it flushes thru.

I only say this because I had a great plant last year that developed yellowing leaves that would eventually fall off. The plant also looked drained of nutriments, eventually even the green leaves looked droopy. I tried everything and even for the longest time thought is was either too much or too little water. Feeding it didn't even make a difference, till one day I did as I stated above and to my surprise I found the nematodes. Once I eliminated them that very plant came back to be one of my most prolific & lush plants in the lot. Now and then if I see that symptom again, I do the test as there's no harm that comes from that soapy water as long as it flushes thru.
Something is affecting it for sure. I am going to have to shift it all around to take care of the grass anyway so I'll do the soap flush.

Today I looked closer at the row as a whole and they all seem to be having the same sort of problem to some degree. It probably has a lot to do with the soil mix I made up but... maybe Shane picked it right first time with too much heat. They are alongside that aluminum fence that gets sun all day and I'm guessing it would radiate a lot of heat.

When I get my fun back breaking day of moving it all around this week I'll put them back further away from the fence and dig some holes under the fence to allow air flow. That's after I rip out as much grass as possible and dump a trailer load of wood chips on it all. Yay :rolleyes:

So I was in the supermarket and heard the announcement about the cheap vegies, fill up a plastic bag with as much of their going-out stuff as you can for $3. I was right there and had first choice :D Got 7 bananas, 2 bunches of spring onions and also this
lfgl005_zps6d36137c.jpg

The chillies were from my garden.

Chilli Chutney time :dance:

I held back my enthusiasm and only used the five red Habs in the middle, for the non chilli heads. It's a very simple recipe but tastes awesome! Takes a bit of time to roast the skins off the capsicums and then reduce everything but its not hard.

chillichutney003_zps87272e7c.jpg

chillichutney002_zpse7243773.jpg

In the garden its been hot again but there is a lot of ripening going on. I'm saving up for a harvest in a few days.
New ones Beni Highlands
benihighlands001_zps860b860a.jpg

First PDN pod. Took its sweet time too!
lfgl031_zps8ad88c0e.jpg

The plants are loving the increased sun, and are mesmerized by the incredible levitating ball :O
lfgl023_zpsa351b092.jpg

Plenty of bug action going on, hoverflies and lady bugs :) ants and aphids :( I've ordered some parasitic wasps that enjoy tearing holes in aphids ;)
Not sure what this thing is, hope its here to kill bad bugs.
lfgl026_zps1e109921.jpg

looks like a mosquito... ugh i know whats coming for me soon.

OHHHHHHHHH Great update!! I meant to say that first and get to pullin up all that grass (as Shane would say)
sheesh you guys are pushing me to cut the grass :P I'll do it ok soon... ;)

Was the Beni Highlands plant stressed during pod development?
Yeah the plant was never too happy. Do the pods look stunted or something? Don't know what they are supposed to look like.

Hi Moo
Nice pics, and Chile chutney. I love late summer's bounty!
After the season is ended I'll have bags of pods to do things with.

I get those little hover fly type things to mega!! Not sure what they are though
Of course! :doh: it looks just like a hoverfly taking a rest. I usually see them checking out the plants. Hoverfly larvae kill aphids. Good guys :)

Yeah the plant was never too happy. Do the pods look stunted or something? Don't know what they are supposed to look like.

The pods on my Beni Highlands plant are smooth and symmetrical. Those pods appear twisted and gnarly. I interested in seeing what colour they end up one month after the initial colour change.

Back