• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Melissa77754 2012 Glog

Hey Everyone
icon_smile.gif

So I figured it is about time I start a Grow log of my own and I will do my very best to keep it up to date. With two kiddos and a massive amount of plants my days can be pretty hectic. I grew jalapenos and serranos last season, had a decent harvest considering the small pot size I used. In July I met a nice lady giving away hot pepper seeds to newbies on GW, decided to give them a try, August met Smokemaster through a generous SASBE offer and the rest is history!! lol

I started a batch in late August so I have some "overwinters" if you will, living in SoCal I can grow year round with the right protection from time to time. I started out with a cheap 12'x7' hoop house and when the winds thrashed that I bought two 6x8 with shelving, still the cheaper plastic hot house type but the shelving makes it heavy and the winds don't phase it. I also have a 6x6 indoor tent with a 4 bulb T5 and 2 monster size CFL's. The growth indoors versus out does not even compare, T5's are amazing! Have to thank my bro for giving me that fixture.

I am hoping I didn't bite off more than I can chew being it's my first real season growing super hots mainly. I plan to sell some plants along the way to help fund my pepper growing addiction
icon_smile.gif
My log will be pretty picture heavy which I am sure most will not mind! Enjoy and happy pepper growing to everyone!!
dancingpepper.gif

My grow list (Still need to add, started some more trays after creating this list and haven't had time to update)

"CLUBBED" SCOTCH BONNET (rec'd in trade from canada, this is the shape he explained thus the name)
7 POT PRIMO
7 POD BURGUNDY
7 POT BARRACKPORE
7 POT BROWN
7 POT JONAH BUTCH T
7 POT MOROUGA YELLOW
7 POT ORANGE
7 POT RED
7 POT YELLOW
7 POT YELLOW LARGE
AJI JOE CHOCOLATE HAND GRENADE
AJI LIMON
AJI UMBA
ANCHO MULATO
ARBOL
ARIBIBI GUSANO
BEAVER DAM
BENI HIGHLANDS
BETH MYSTERY PACK
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA INDIAN CARBON
BHUT JOLOKIA PURPLE
BIG JIM
BIKER BILLY
BIQUINHO
BIRGITS LOCOTO
BLACK NAGA JOLOKIA
BRAIN STRAIN
BRAIN STRAIN SR
CANTINA YELLOW
CARRIBEAN RED
CASCABELLA
CAYENNE GOLDEN
CHAPAEU DE FRADE
CHOCOLATE BHUT JOLOKIA
CHOCOLATE HABANERO
CHOCOLATE SCOTCH BONNET
CHOCOLATE T.S.
CONGO BLACK
CONGO RED
COSTENNO AMARILLO
DATIL
DOUGHLAH
DOUGHLAH X BUTCH T
EARBOB PI59272
EL ORO DE EQUADOR
FATALLI
GIANT JALAPENO
GRENADA YELLOW SEASONING
GUYANA PI199506
GUERRITO
HABANERO BIG SUN
HAROLD ST BARTS
HOT HUNGARIAN
INFINITY
JAMAICAN YELLOW
JIMMY NARDELLO
LIGHTNING MIX
MADAME JEANETTE
MANZANO RED
MANZANO AMARILLO
MANZANO ORANGE
MARCONI ROSSO
MOROUGA YELLOW
MYSTERY
NAGA MORICH
NAGABON
NUMEX SANDIA
NUMEX TWILIGHT
ORANGE THAI
PADRON
PEACH BHUT JOLOKIA
PEACH HABALOKIA
PEACH LANTERN
PEACH SCORPANERO
PERUVIAN GOLD
PINK HABANERO
PURPLE BHUT JOLOKIA
QUEEN LAURIE PI1281405
RED FATALLI
RED HABANERO
RED ROCOTO
RED SAVINA
SANTAKA ASIAN
SCOTCH BONNET
SUPERHOT SURPRISE
SUPREME MIX
SURINAME HABANERO
T.S. BUTCH T
T.S. MOROUGA
TOBAGO SCOTCH BONNET
TRINIDAD BEAN
TRINIDAD MOROVAS
TRINIDAD SCORPION
TRINIDAD SEASONING
TRINIDAD SWEET CHERRY
WHIT 7 POD
YELLOW HABALOKIA
YELLOW 7 POT LRG
YELLOW 7 POT X ?
YELLOW BHUT JOLOKIA
YELLOW BRAIN STRAIN
YELLOW T.S.

MY CHOCOLATE HAB IS LOADED WITH FLOWERS!
IMG_2779.jpg

IMG_2777.jpg

RED HABANERO
IMG_2787.jpg

Yeah... We will cross our fingers with the storm that's coming in. 5gallons should be good for us, we have our own worm compost... So we can always make more. Maybe when we have more plants...I will up grade to Melissa level :P.

Wow, love that worm tea setup and look at that foam. Are you using fresh worm castings or bagged? What is your worm tea recipe? Is that chlorine inline filter you use remove all the chlorine/chloramines from the water so you dont have to worry about it killing your beneficial bacteria and microbes? sorry for the many question, been researching worm tea alot lately.

I'll be making a 10-15 gallon worm tea brewer setup this weekend. Cant find a fresh worm casting in houston, but found one online so lets see how that goes.

I don't mind the questions, and luckily Fernando/SoCalChilehead messaged me about my recipe so I already typed it out. The filter I use seems to remove all the chlorine/chloramine. BUT to be safe I fill up my trash can with water the day prior to make sure it's gone. If I have time I let the plain water aerate with the stones for a day prior. I use really fresh (and expensive) worm castings from a hydro shop. Honestly, the alaskan humus soil amendment I use is better for teas than any worm casting out there. But I still throw castings in, I have a compost pile and use fresh casting from my yard also.

Here is what is in the tea, I brew it in a 20 ga trash can. With a fish tank pump and air stones.

6 cups high quality earth worm castings
6 cups Alaskan Humus soil ammendment
5 tablespoons powdered kelp
10 tablespoons Dr earths bud and bloom booster (granule organic fertilizer)
10 tablespoons of Organic Black strap unsulphered mollasses
Roots organics Buddha bloom - I don't measure this one, just pour some in.
Root organics Trinity Bio-catylst - don't measure this one either.
Roots organics Extreme Serene - don't measure this one either.

It brews for 36 hours before it's ready and then I fill up the rest of the trash can with water to dilute the mixture.

Good luck with your grow! ;)

Yeah... We will cross our fingers with the storm that's coming in. 5gallons should be good for us, we have our own worm compost... So we can always make more. Maybe when we have more plants...I will up grade to Melissa level :P.

Seriously where is this storm?? It is effin HOT!!! At this point I want the rain to come so my plants can have some water! I had to water a few already, not how I planned my day out!! :P

UPDATE TIME. I seriously did not think I would be in the yard today, dressed my girls in warm clothes and boots. All the poor little pre-schoolers in my daughters class were red from playing at the playground, their parents dressed them warm too! lol. While I was out watering a few, I snapped some pics. AND a few of my prized indoor plants are going to join their brothers and sisters in the greenhouses! :P

Purple Bhut in 5ga smart pot. My favorite plant by far!
38d5b54b.jpg

0111b9d6.jpg

Yellow Habalokia, going to explode outdoors and this guy is only in a 3ga smart pot!
e2e9b3a4.jpg

7 pot Primo, lost some leaves with the last storm. Coming back with vengence!
f762b827.jpg

2 DoughlahXButch T, as you can see each plant has completely different growth habits. The one in the ground is flowering, it reminds me of my annums?
e10d85c5.jpg

0bdc0598.jpg

This TS Morouga got pretty beat up in the last storm, you can barely tell now!
1192aa50.jpg

This mystery plant out front is ready to explode with flowers, bushing out at the same time! Plants are loving it out front!
8701481e.jpg

Birgits Locoto
c7d20df7.jpg

Jimmy Nardelo
df6f2645.jpg

Really nice plants Melissa. I use to live in Chino Hills. Had almost an acre of land. I sure do miss it.

Thanks! Funny you mention Chino Hills, the hubby and I lived there for 2yrs prior to buying our house in Corona. I wanted to buy there, but houses are way more expensive than Corona. Didn't want to sacrifice a large yard, so this is where we ended up! :) Good luck with your grow!

A few more pics :)

My mystery pepper, not sure if the purple is from sunburn or a charecteristic of the pepper itself? The stems have tons of purple in them, I have two of these plants for sure. one in the ground and one in a 10gal pot, whatever it is I will have an abundance of them real soon!
d4fa6b46.jpg

Santaka Asian filling in and starting to flower.
e01ef79d.jpg

Cayenne Golden
15ee4547.jpg

7 Pot Brown
3a95b6af.jpg

Jamaican Yellow
23cb6a0b.jpg

7 Pot Red that was damaged by the rain, will be a bushier plant for sure now!
56b7e6ea.jpg

Manzano Orange in the ground
831e2a96.jpg

This is one angle of my yellow manzano, I can't photograph this beauty enough! I LOVE stuffed manzanos and have paid up to 8 per pound just for a few, cannot wait to have my own!
03f62c8a.jpg

Biquinho
b7df5bc8.jpg

Gotta love SoCal weather. I spent the afternoon hiding all the plants in the greenhouse. Covered and secured the dome greenhouse. And what happened this am?! Sun cam out!! So spent another 30mins getting them sun. 40mins later. Overcast. Grr. Was humid too. I really need to find a cover for my tomatoes because they are yellowing due to our last rain. Hope your peppers are ready for this next rain. Peace!!

Gotta love SoCal weather. I spent the afternoon hiding all the plants in the greenhouse. Covered and secured the dome greenhouse. And what happened this am?! Sun cam out!! So spent another 30mins getting them sun. 40mins later. Overcast. Grr. Was humid too. I really need to find a cover for my tomatoes because they are yellowing due to our last rain. Hope your peppers are ready for this next rain. Peace!!

Today was wayyyy humid!! I spent a ton of time watering in the greenhouses and a few in the ground. Didn't take any chances though, quite a few large pots are taking shelter in the tents tonight. Better safe than sorry!

I have a market by my office with Manzanos for a couple bucks a pound. I stop in for a dozen or so once a week. That mystery pod looks interesting! Could it be a fish pepper??? I dunno?

so SoCal weather is almost alike with hawaii also then but we get rain then sun couple hours later rain again then sun again...
im loving your purple bhut...i wish i have some seeds to grow

I have a market by my office with Manzanos for a couple bucks a pound. I stop in for a dozen or so once a week. That mystery pod looks interesting! Could it be a fish pepper??? I dunno?

Dang Shane that is super cheap!! I have tons of hispanic markets over here, Cardenas is one I usually find them at. But the cheapest I have paid is $3.99/lb. That mystery pepper was almost completely purple by the end of the day and all the new pods are getting some purple, so I am going to say it must be a charecteristic of the pepper. Need to message Smoke and see what he thinks :)

so SoCal weather is almost alike with hawaii also then but we get rain then sun couple hours later rain again then sun again...
im loving your purple bhut...i wish i have some seeds to grow

Socal can be like Hawaii at times, not really the norm though. Today reminded me of when I vacationed in Cancun! :) When I have ripe pods remember to ask me for some seeds :)

Socal can be like Hawaii at times, not really the norm though. Today reminded me of when I vacationed in Cancun! :) When I have ripe pods remember to ask me for some seeds :)

the only good thing in our island it doesn't snow like in big island....thats the first im gonna do ask u for seeds :P

thank u :P

im waitin on dennis sasbe that he sent, if u dont have hawaiian chilli in your list i can put some in his sasbe since you guys live close to each other, they're small and hot

I have too many seeds right now! Wait.....nevermind no such thing as too many seeds! lol :P I will make him cough up a couple seeds if I ever need them, but thanks for the offer! :)

I am definitely going to need to make the trek out there to Corona when the season gets going to buy some pods from you. You have a really impressive variety that seems to expand daily.

I get my Manzanos from Cardenas too. I usually buy a few a week there to throw in with my work lunch. I have had them stuffed, but honestly I love them raw with a sandwich.

Back