• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Melissa77754 2012 Glog

Hey Everyone
icon_smile.gif

So I figured it is about time I start a Grow log of my own and I will do my very best to keep it up to date. With two kiddos and a massive amount of plants my days can be pretty hectic. I grew jalapenos and serranos last season, had a decent harvest considering the small pot size I used. In July I met a nice lady giving away hot pepper seeds to newbies on GW, decided to give them a try, August met Smokemaster through a generous SASBE offer and the rest is history!! lol

I started a batch in late August so I have some "overwinters" if you will, living in SoCal I can grow year round with the right protection from time to time. I started out with a cheap 12'x7' hoop house and when the winds thrashed that I bought two 6x8 with shelving, still the cheaper plastic hot house type but the shelving makes it heavy and the winds don't phase it. I also have a 6x6 indoor tent with a 4 bulb T5 and 2 monster size CFL's. The growth indoors versus out does not even compare, T5's are amazing! Have to thank my bro for giving me that fixture.

I am hoping I didn't bite off more than I can chew being it's my first real season growing super hots mainly. I plan to sell some plants along the way to help fund my pepper growing addiction
icon_smile.gif
My log will be pretty picture heavy which I am sure most will not mind! Enjoy and happy pepper growing to everyone!!
dancingpepper.gif

My grow list (Still need to add, started some more trays after creating this list and haven't had time to update)

"CLUBBED" SCOTCH BONNET (rec'd in trade from canada, this is the shape he explained thus the name)
7 POT PRIMO
7 POD BURGUNDY
7 POT BARRACKPORE
7 POT BROWN
7 POT JONAH BUTCH T
7 POT MOROUGA YELLOW
7 POT ORANGE
7 POT RED
7 POT YELLOW
7 POT YELLOW LARGE
AJI JOE CHOCOLATE HAND GRENADE
AJI LIMON
AJI UMBA
ANCHO MULATO
ARBOL
ARIBIBI GUSANO
BEAVER DAM
BENI HIGHLANDS
BETH MYSTERY PACK
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA INDIAN CARBON
BHUT JOLOKIA PURPLE
BIG JIM
BIKER BILLY
BIQUINHO
BIRGITS LOCOTO
BLACK NAGA JOLOKIA
BRAIN STRAIN
BRAIN STRAIN SR
CANTINA YELLOW
CARRIBEAN RED
CASCABELLA
CAYENNE GOLDEN
CHAPAEU DE FRADE
CHOCOLATE BHUT JOLOKIA
CHOCOLATE HABANERO
CHOCOLATE SCOTCH BONNET
CHOCOLATE T.S.
CONGO BLACK
CONGO RED
COSTENNO AMARILLO
DATIL
DOUGHLAH
DOUGHLAH X BUTCH T
EARBOB PI59272
EL ORO DE EQUADOR
FATALLI
GIANT JALAPENO
GRENADA YELLOW SEASONING
GUYANA PI199506
GUERRITO
HABANERO BIG SUN
HAROLD ST BARTS
HOT HUNGARIAN
INFINITY
JAMAICAN YELLOW
JIMMY NARDELLO
LIGHTNING MIX
MADAME JEANETTE
MANZANO RED
MANZANO AMARILLO
MANZANO ORANGE
MARCONI ROSSO
MOROUGA YELLOW
MYSTERY
NAGA MORICH
NAGABON
NUMEX SANDIA
NUMEX TWILIGHT
ORANGE THAI
PADRON
PEACH BHUT JOLOKIA
PEACH HABALOKIA
PEACH LANTERN
PEACH SCORPANERO
PERUVIAN GOLD
PINK HABANERO
PURPLE BHUT JOLOKIA
QUEEN LAURIE PI1281405
RED FATALLI
RED HABANERO
RED ROCOTO
RED SAVINA
SANTAKA ASIAN
SCOTCH BONNET
SUPERHOT SURPRISE
SUPREME MIX
SURINAME HABANERO
T.S. BUTCH T
T.S. MOROUGA
TOBAGO SCOTCH BONNET
TRINIDAD BEAN
TRINIDAD MOROVAS
TRINIDAD SCORPION
TRINIDAD SEASONING
TRINIDAD SWEET CHERRY
WHIT 7 POD
YELLOW HABALOKIA
YELLOW 7 POT LRG
YELLOW 7 POT X ?
YELLOW BHUT JOLOKIA
YELLOW BRAIN STRAIN
YELLOW T.S.

MY CHOCOLATE HAB IS LOADED WITH FLOWERS!
IMG_2779.jpg

IMG_2777.jpg

RED HABANERO
IMG_2787.jpg

I am definitely going to need to make the trek out there to Corona when the season gets going to buy some pods from you. You have a really impressive variety that seems to expand daily.

I get my Manzanos from Cardenas too. I usually buy a few a week there to throw in with my work lunch. I have had them stuffed, but honestly I love them raw with a sandwich.

Nick you are more than welcome to stop by later in the season :) I am going to start another round of seeds this weekend, so many cool varieties out there and I want to grow them all! Either way I planned to shoot you a couple Purple Bhuts and Infinity. I hope to be an affordable source for pods later in the season, maybe put together some sample packs for anyone that wants to try many varieties. Going to be getting a license to legally sell plants and produce, I already hit up the Corona farmers market and am the first on the waiting list in case another farmer backs out.

I have yet to try a Manzano on a sandwich, great idea! I love that the heat level varies so much on them, I took a bite out of one that seriously lit me up! Was not expecting it to be so hot! lol.

Lookin good over there in Cali. Keep brewing them teas and showing these guys what organics is all about! These plants are gonna be huge. Whats the native soil like?

Thanks for stopping by my grow log PepperGuru! :) Organics is the only way to grow in my books! I can't wait to see how your season progresses, I am going to buy a 30ga smart pot to try out. I want a monster like your Fatalii mother! What a beauty! My native soil sucks, rock hard clay! I have been working it since last season and added about 2 yards of amendments. Will be picking up some compost/mulch to add to the top. Having issues with it keeping the moisture in, so I know the mulch will help. Last time I turned the soil I found worms everywhere, glad to see they are doing their job!

Best of luck to you this season!

Yeah chick, for sure. Clay has tons of goodiies for plants, it just so damn smothering! Getting it to loam up and breath is just a matter of tilling all the compost and mulch you can into it, finally whiping its ass into submission. But once you do! ... It grows monsters! I know it can be done in Cali. Got some contacts in N Cal and they always get a great harvest ;)

Nick you are more than welcome to stop by later in the season :) I am going to start another round of seeds this weekend, so many cool varieties out there and I want to grow them all! Either way I planned to shoot you a couple Purple Bhuts and Infinity. I hope to be an affordable source for pods later in the season, maybe put together some sample packs for anyone that wants to try many varieties. Going to be getting a license to legally sell plants and produce, I already hit up the Corona farmers market and am the first on the waiting list in case another farmer backs out.

I have yet to try a Manzano on a sandwich, great idea! I love that the heat level varies so much on them, I took a bite out of one that seriously lit me up! Was not expecting it to be so hot! lol.

Thanks for stopping by my grow log PepperGuru! :) Organics is the only way to grow in my books! I can't wait to see how your season progresses, I am going to buy a 30ga smart pot to try out. I want a monster like your Fatalii mother! What a beauty! My native soil sucks, rock hard clay! I have been working it since last season and added about 2 yards of amendments. Will be picking up some compost/mulch to add to the top. Having issues with it keeping the moisture in, so I know the mulch will help. Last time I turned the soil I found worms everywhere, glad to see they are doing their job!

Sounds like a good plan Melissa... Good luck with the Farmers market... live the dream!!. Im happy to see people with the same passion for gardening that i have :P. Let me know when you have some seeds, maybe i can trade you some "worm castings" for some seeds :D

Yeah chick, for sure. Clay has tons of goodiies for plants, it just so damn smothering! Getting it to loam up and breath is just a matter of tilling all the compost and mulch you can into it, finally whiping its ass into submission. But once you do! ... It grows monsters! I know it can be done in Cali. Got some contacts in N Cal and they always get a great harvest ;)

I figured the clay has some good stuff for the plants. My tiller got a good workout this season! I added two large bags of pumice too. This time last year my yard was a muddy mess, clay wouldn't suck up any water! Much different this year! thanks again for stopping in, your grow from last year is sure inspiring! ;)

My native soil sucks, rock hard clay! I have been working it since last season and added about 2 yards of amendments. Will be picking up some compost/mulch to add to the top. Having issues with it keeping the moisture in, so I know the mulch will help. Last time I turned the soil I found worms everywhere, glad to see they are doing their job!
You've got the right idea, adding lots of humus is one major key to growing in heavy clay soils. Spade in the humus every spring and dig down at least a foot for peppers, and two feet for root crops. My mom has been doing it for the last 45 years, and that's what she does. The other major component, especially if you are intensely cultivating a small space is to avoid compacting the soil by walking on it. You might want to put down some broad stepping stones or boards, and only step on those. Space them close enough that you can easily step from one to another to reach every corner of your garden, and make them broad enough that you can squat or kneel on one to work on the plants around them.
Cheers

Sounds like a good plan Melissa... Good luck with the Farmers market... live the dream!!. Im happy to see people with the same passion for gardening that i have :P. Let me know when you have some seeds, maybe i can trade you some "worm castings" for some seeds :D

I have been in procurement for 12 years. At this point in my life I am tired of using my skills to benefit other people. My girls love having me home and I love being being home with them. It's much harder than any full time job, but I love gardening so it seems like the right move. I love chiles too!

Hit me up later in the season for seeds, would love to trade for castings! :D

Its hard work.. but the beauty of gardening is that you can acutally see " the fruits of your labor" :P. But for sure we can trade some worm casting for seed/plants later on :D. From what you told me...you can never have to much "worm casting" :P

Melissa...gonna have to chat with you on the produce certification process once you get it all figured out. I have a farmers market twice a week a half mile from my front door. It is the "hip and trendy" type with all the upscale Poway folks frequenting. I think a plant/pepper/sauce/powder stand would do really well if you threw the big superhot names around. Been trying to talk my better half into it for a while, but she is skeptical. Hopefully I can show her your results and change her mind next spring. That way I would have an excuse to start a garage full of plants....and get a fo shiz Greenhouse!

If you get that spot let me know for sure. My wife and I are always looking for excuses to hit up farmers markets and this would be a great excuse.

You've got the right idea, adding lots of humus is one major key to growing in heavy clay soils. Spade in the humus every spring and dig down at least a foot for peppers, and two feet for root crops. My mom has been doing it for the last 45 years, and that's what she does. The other major component, especially if you are intensely cultivating a small space is to avoid compacting the soil by walking on it. You might want to put down some broad stepping stones or boards, and only step on those. Space them close enough that you can easily step from one to another to reach every corner of your garden, and make them broad enough that you can squat or kneel on one to work on the plants around them.
Cheers

Great advice Stickman, thanks! It is definitely a challenge growing in clay, work in progress, but I am sure it will just get better every year. We added 2 more yards of compost/mulch to the top yesterday. My neighbors must be loving the smell!! lol. Have a good one! :)

Melissa...gonna have to chat with you on the produce certification process once you get it all figured out. I have a farmers market twice a week a half mile from my front door. It is the "hip and trendy" type with all the upscale Poway folks frequenting. I think a plant/pepper/sauce/powder stand would do really well if you threw the big superhot names around. Been trying to talk my better half into it for a while, but she is skeptical. Hopefully I can show her your results and change her mind next spring. That way I would have an excuse to start a garage full of plants....and get a fo shiz Greenhouse!

When I get it all figured out I will for sure share the knowledge with you! If I end up doing a farmers market I am going to throw tomatoes in the mix too, I have a whole bunch of heirlooms going. Last year when I went to the corona farmers market only one vendor was selling heirlooms, and he always sold out! Cukes too, I have so many different varieties going, not just the standard ones you see in the market. Don't want to put all my eggs in one basket ya know? ;) As for the sauces, well that is a whole different game and maybe one day I will give it a shot. I want to make some powders too, but I will need to figure out how to do that with two small children in the house. I wouldn't want to torture them with superhot fumes! lol. Have a good one Shane! :)

I remember the soil in Chino Hills was hard as a rock also. My father use to make holes and add water. In the end he
had a beautiful garden with lots of homemade compost. It was great, all I had to do was go pick what I wanted to
eat. Lots of beets, corn, bell peppers, tomatoes, turnips, etc.

Hey Melissa,

That's a pretty incredible garden you've got going!

I just read all 9 pages of this thing, I was planning on suggesting you set up shop at a farmers market, glad you had the same idea :)

I was wondering with your larger plants, are those overwinters? Or did you start those indoors last winter?

Some of those are considerably bigger than my overwinter habanero, very impressive.

And glad to see that your plants handled that weird weather last week like champs.

Hey Melissa,

That's a pretty incredible garden you've got going!

I just read all 9 pages of this thing, I was planning on suggesting you set up shop at a farmers market, glad you had the same idea :)

I was wondering with your larger plants, are those overwinters? Or did you start those indoors last winter?

Some of those are considerably bigger than my overwinter habanero, very impressive.

And glad to see that your plants handled that weird weather last week like champs.

Hey there, thanks for checking out my grow log! Nice to see someone else from my home town! :)

I have been starting seeds since late August/September. So some of my larger plants have been around since Sept/Oct. I didn't start anything indoors until January, everything had been grown outdoors au nautural, no heat mat just sun to germinate. I have always had some type of greenhouse to protect them from rain. The first was a hoop type greenhouse, wind demolished that after awhile. So I bought two 6x8 greenhouses with shelving, the racks make the whole unit much sturdier to withstand the winds I get out here in Corona. Has worked well for me, except both greenhouses are now bursting with plants and I have a massive amount of potting up to do! lol. I finally shut down my indoor set up for the season, started only two batches of seeds in there. Next year everything will be started indoors before moving to the greenhouse, just no comparing the indoor growth to the outdoor, especially during the colder months when everything grows at a snails pace. Now the weather is perfect to germinate outdoors, so that is what I am doing.

Best of luck to you this season! ;)

When I get it all figured out I will for sure share the knowledge with you! If I end up doing a farmers market I am going to throw tomatoes in the mix too, I have a whole bunch of heirlooms going. Last year when I went to the corona farmers market only one vendor was selling heirlooms, and he always sold out! Cukes too, I have so many different varieties going, not just the standard ones you see in the market. Don't want to put all my eggs in one basket ya know? ;) As for the sauces, well that is a whole different game and maybe one day I will give it a shot. I want to make some powders too, but I will need to figure out how to do that with two small children in the house. I wouldn't want to torture them with superhot fumes! lol. Have a good one Shane! :)

Yeah...heirloom tomatoes along with a bunch of exotic heirloom veggies are at every produce stand here. Then they have a bunch of food stands, a couple flower vendors and a couple with live plants. The live plants are mostly succulents, and there are no veggie plants/peppers yet. One guy did set out a couple different colored bells one day. Will have to watch as pepper harvest time approaches what shows up. May even talk to a couple of the produce guys as to whether or not they could sell on consignment??? Just to find out if there is a market for some supers and exotics. I'll probably just learn from your experience, then decide if its worth the effort. Was really hoping to get the other half of team Caver interested in it...she's still skeptical. Good luck to you, I'm certain you are gonna make a killing!

Yeah...heirloom tomatoes along with a bunch of exotic heirloom veggies are at every produce stand here. Then they have a bunch of food stands, a couple flower vendors and a couple with live plants. The live plants are mostly succulents, and there are no veggie plants/peppers yet. One guy did set out a couple different colored bells one day. Will have to watch as pepper harvest time approaches what shows up. May even talk to a couple of the produce guys as to whether or not they could sell on consignment??? Just to find out if there is a market for some supers and exotics. I'll probably just learn from your experience, then decide if its worth the effort. Was really hoping to get the other half of team Caver interested in it...she's still skeptical. Good luck to you, I'm certain you are gonna make a killing!

See we definitely don't have that here yet, standard boring tomatoes everywhere! As for peppers, nothing fancy except for manzanos, and even those don't look too appetizing most of the time. I have a bunch of heirloom cukes going too, my brother has all kinds of other produce going. I may not get it all in place this year but I will definitely try, I wish I would have inquired about being a vendor sooner. Next year I will be prepared. I have poured myself in to this pepper world, trying to learn as much as I can. Most people will never have the opportunity to taste some of the peppers I am growing, I truly hope to give people a chance to try the finer things in life! But I don't want to make a killing, I realize a lot of people are not as lucky to have a green thumb like me, killing plants even when they try their hardest. Some people can grow and some can't, so I hope to be an affordable source for people that just can't grow these themselves. I cringe when I see peppers going for $50/lb, just crazy to me. I don't need to get rich, just make enough to pay some bills and support my pepper growing habit. :P Most importantly give me the opportunity to continue raising my girls. Working in purchasing is great, but very very demanding. 50+ hours per week minimum, doesn't leave a whole lot of time for my family. For now I am enjoying every last bit of growing peppers, I am sooooo ready for the pods!! :D

you said: I am going to start another round of seeds this weekend, so many cool varieties out there and I want to grow them all!

Good- I'm NOT CRAZY for starting another round when I get in also....for the same reason.

I will be releasing lots of earthworms/nightcrawlers into the garden this trip in...my angle is a "lazymans" worm tea, mainly because I'm gone so much...now a "tea" question:are you using tap water for this?Or stored rainwater?I'm wondering about the chlorine factor.....

you said: I am going to start another round of seeds this weekend, so many cool varieties out there and I want to grow them all!

Good- I'm NOT CRAZY for starting another round when I get in also....for the same reason.

I will be releasing lots of earthworms/nightcrawlers into the garden this trip in...my angle is a "lazymans" worm tea, mainly because I'm gone so much...now a "tea" question:are you using tap water for this?Or stored rainwater?I'm wondering about the chlorine factor.....

No such thing as too many peppers huh? lol. I hope this year to weed out the varieties I am not too thrilled with and next year concentrate on the ones I liked, plus keep adding new ones to the mix.

I have a lot of worms in my garden, but I was thinking about adding some more help with aeration in the soil. As for the chlorine, I have a filter on my hose that takes the chlorine out. Plus I let it sit out for another day just to be sure before brewing my teas. Thanks for stopping in! :)

A couple pics I snapped while out in the garden today.

My mystery pepper is now completely purple and getting bigger! Loving this one.
91c23222.jpg

This is the plant in the ground, looks like a bouquet with all those open flowers! It's going to look really cool with those purple peppers everywhere!
54119aa1.jpg

One of the plants out front, open flowers everywhere. I had this labeled as a bhut but not really sure that is what it is.
a373b70c.jpg

My front bed with a fresh coat of compost/mulch
ea52e458.jpg

Chocolate Bhut getting ready to flower like mad!
9837448b.jpg

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend! :)

The mulched bed looks great..reminds me I will be needing to get busy accumulating the pine needles again-my mulch of choice.Could you post (p-l-e-a-s-e!)some info on that filter-I have zip for bandwidth as usual (bobbing around the gulf of Mexico) so google searches take forever...and probably a few others out there could use the info also. I am going to use a plastic drum for rain water collection,but that may take a while to engineer a workable integration with drip timer and faucet Irely on now! That plant with the blooms looks like it will explode shortly...
Thanks-
DJ

The mulched bed looks great..reminds me I will be needing to get busy accumulating the pine needles again-my mulch of choice.Could you post (p-l-e-a-s-e!)some info on that filter-I have zip for bandwidth as usual (bobbing around the gulf of Mexico) so google searches take forever...and probably a few others out there could use the info also. I am going to use a plastic drum for rain water collection,but that may take a while to engineer a workable integration with drip timer and faucet Irely on now! That plant with the blooms looks like it will explode shortly...
Thanks-
DJ

Here is the link for the filter I use DJ, hope that helps! ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Culligan-RV-600A-Recreational-External-Includes/dp/B000VQHRCC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1335751490&sr=8-2

Back