food Menu plans for New Years eve?

I was just kinda wondering if anyone was preparing anything special for New Year's Eve. We always stay in, watch old movies, and eat a ton of food.

This year, I believe it's going to be pastrami and corned beef reubens & paninis....and perhaps some snacks (like some TB-inspired lumpia!) Hell....it's just another excuse to drink beer and get cookin!

What are you guys doin'?

I went today and got an obligitory bottle of Russian Standard vodka for New Year's Day Bloody Mary's

I'll sip that and watch Retta fix me a Pop-Tart...;)

12 pound brisket cooked at 225f for about 14 hours in a smoker. I always use hickory for this. I use TexasBBQRub for my rub.

Cabbage with lots of butter in and around it. Wrapped in bacon. I put all that in foil, leave the top open and put it on the pit with the brisket about 2½ hours before brisket is done.

Pork Spare Ribs with my pineapple habenero glaze.

And of course, black eyed peas

Mjdtexan said:
12 pound brisket cooked at 225f for about 14 hours in a smoker. I always use hickory for this. I use TexasBBQRub for my rub.

Cabbage with lots of butter in and around it. Wrapped in bacon. I put all that in foil, leave the top open and put it on the pit with the brisket about 2½ hours before brisket is done.

Pork Spare Ribs with my pineapple habenero glaze.

And of course, black eyed peas

That sounds GREAT!!

Well first of all i will tuck into some of ma whiskey and maybe oh damn it i will have some chilli vodka.... help!!
then we will have cheese, cold meats,pickles and chutneys..... chilli of course. followed by choc cheesecake and cream and beer...... oh forgot the crusty bread and real butter....mmmmm

Nah it is already hot within a week. I made three bottles this year. Currently I have a bottle of Fatalii vodka.

I am thinking this is going to be a seafood night. Crabcakes, shrimp pasta, maybe some crab legs. I haven't totally made up my mind yet. But there will be lotsa boozing. Wine, champagne, and chocolate cake shots for sure.

Vodka, Frangelico and a lemon slice with sugar poured on it. Mix the liquor half and half, pour into shot glass bite the lemon and drink the shot. Tastes just like chocolate cake. Citron vodka works best but plain will do.

JayT said:
Vodka, Frangelico and a lemon slice with sugar poured on it. Mix the liquor half and half, pour into shot glass bite the lemon and drink the shot. Tastes just like chocolate cake. Citron vodka works best but plain will do.

AH!

For a second, I figured it was a chunk of moist chocolate cake soaked with vodka or everclear.....which doesn't sound too bad either!;)

traditional new years foods?

I just heard that steak or pork may be mandatory on some folks New Years day menu. New Years Day was not something celebrated when I was growing up...There seem to be a lot of cultural food traditions that I am only beginning to learn. I know Hoppin John (blackeye peas) I have a friend in her 80's who must eat herring at midnight....on another thread someone suggested that pork may be mandatory on some folks menus although it appears steak may be so on others....

can you share the "traditional" new Years foods you know, and if there is a story behind it (I think most of them involve prosperity or good luck) I would love to hear. I know that most folk toast at midnight with champagne, and another friend felt that breakfast must be mimosas and caviar.

HOw much of what you are planning is tradition?

Back