• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Mezo`s "super hots" Glog including the 'big' solar dehydrator.

The is thread with the humungous solar dehydrator. :D

solardehydrator3.jpg

G-Day, im Mez or Mezo & im new to this part of Australia having come from Perth (Western Australia) where growing chili peppers is so easy (except the heat).

I live in the border ranges in northern New South Wales (bordering Queensland) and its a mixed bag of temperate & tropical conditions, the summers are very hot, wet & humid, the winters are dry & sunny.

Average daily temps.

averagedailytemp.gif

And average monthly rainfall.

averagemonthlyrain.gif

Aussies reading this will already know this, but people in other country's probably paint a picture of Australia as a hot dry/dusty land but this is far from the truth, up north its full blown tropics with a wet season & 100% humidity (yuck). Down south its freezing cold & snow during winter, out west its a dry heat like in the Mediterranean & in the middle of Australia is desert country.

So im now growing for the first time "Super hots" and for a very important reason, whilst working away in Perth i had a double heart attack wich has left me permanently disabled, sadly they are unable to operate on me (bypass/stent) as its to far gone, so having worked all my life (Electrician) im now at the age of 45 claiming a disability pension & i hate not being able to work.

Now i take shovel fulls of dam tablets to keep my heart pumping & id rather not be taking any but right now there no option i have to take them or ill drop dead on the spot. After much reading i found out that cayenne powder has all sort of benefits to your health & well being, especially to your cardio vascular system. I had read that cayenne powder can stop a heart attack in its track & i put this to the test (twice) and yes it does work where the medication (Nitrolingual) had no effect.

So anyone reading this who spots a friend having a heart attack just flick some chili powder in a glass of water as fast as you can & get them to drink in right down, fast. It works within 30 seconds of drinking it & it saved me from two more attacks already.

So there's my life story in a nutshell & some sound advice on how to save a heart attack victims life.
And this ladies & gentlymen is why im growing "Super Hots" to make high heat cayenne powder for cooking to improve my circulation/remove fats & as a "just in case of emergency"

OK on with the first of my "Hots" the Bhut Jolokia, the reason i chose this was simple i just Googled "whats the hottest chili" and up popped the result, however further reading on the interweb i found threads from this forum & names like the Butch T, the Douglah & Brain Strain.

So ive ordered them from pepperlover.com after so many people gave such great reviews, Bhut in the meantime lets look at my Jolokia`s.

Bhut2.jpg

Bhut6.jpg

Must admit i just love the shape & color of these babies.
icon_mrgreen.gif

More soon,

Mezo.

Hi Mezo,

How are the Avocado trees are doing? I am also trying to germinate one, and after 5 weeks I can see some signs of life.
What soil do you suggest for it? Does Avocado have any special need?

Balázs

Hi Mezo,

How are the Avocado trees are doing? I am also trying to germinate one, and after 5 weeks I can see some signs of life.
What soil do you suggest for it? Does Avocado have any special need?

Balázs

Balázs

I just use plain old potting mix, have the pointy end upwards exposed (half buried) keep it in a warm sunny spot & water well.
If the Avo gets bitten by frost it can make the tree sterile (produce no fruit) and it takes roughly seven years before you see any fruit worth eating, its a long slow process.

Also when your plants get to about 8" in height nip the top off to promote a bushier tree (more fruit).

hehe my saint helena is an olive tree :D I've had habs more simular to the first picture, they were very small bushes that weren't doing to well :) The picture you have there are more of a yellow hab but I suppose the easiest way to tell is to check out the bush and bite into the chilli?

http://www.destinati.../orange-hab.jpg

Well after looking at your "tree" i thought it sounded odd as they say its a small bushy plant.

Im going to try them chilli`s later to see how hot they are, they are growing in Trish`s sons back yard (QLD) south of Vegas.

Mezo.

Cool looking orange pods. How did they taste?

Cool looking orange pods. How did they taste?

Well hard to say Paul, they have a bit of a bite to them but not an overly flash taste as such, im still a chilli virgin to be honest with you, all i know is i love the taste of the Bhut`s for sure. Watch this movie i just shot an hour ago Paul, its got them clones in there.

I know i posted a vid the other day in the tent, but this time i focused on the plants all budding, even this years Bhut`s (which i thought had finished) have started to flower again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bawBjGIJwDQ&feature=youtu.be

Still not sure if these will all drop dead in six weeks time when its mid winter? or will i get fruit from the new buds?

Mezo.

Wow, Meez, maybe you will get a winter harvest!

That`s not bad going though Paul, i only got the seeds on the 16th of Feb & those are the biggies you see (ButchT, Brain Strain, Douglah etc) and now budding already (albeit small plants still).

budding.jpg

And Ben`s Hungarian Cherries he sent started popping up in the last two days, two in pots & three more to do later today. No heat mat or anything, just sitting in the tent uncovered in Jiffy`s, wish Kings super hots were doing as well, they are on the hombrew heat mat every night & hardly anything?

Hungarian Cherries.

benscherries3.jpg

And the three today, one has his helmet on still.

benscherries4.jpg

Mezo.

The seedlings just keep comin', Meez! You are going to have to
work hard to fill up all of those gallon pots!

What are you doing MEZO! Don't you know that winter is just around the corner ;) :rofl:

Very funny Trippa, i have a secret weapon up my sleeve in the way of one of them big gas powered patio heaters, my Hungarian cousin Zoli from Brisbane dropped it down here a few months ago (no need longer needed it) but ideal if there is a severe frost forecast, that will warm the tent in seconds, lifesaver.

Mezo.

A big gas powered patio heater blowing into the Tent, you'll be wearing shorts and flip flops all winter long in your Tropical paradise. Just need to pipe in some Hawiian music and grab a Boat Drink. :cool:

No kidding, Meez, soon you'll be growing year-round and giving
those tropical boys a run for their money :D

Couldn't happen to a better guy! You go, bro!

Thanks guys,

I will be grabbing the heater & shuffling plants around (yet again) and getting it set up ready & tested.

Nothing worse than running around 3am freezing your gonads off in pitch black in the vain hope she`ll fire up, i like to be prepared not take chances.

My job when i get back from shopping this morning.

Mezo.

Well i would reply but all my functions have been disabled/greyed out so i cannot post pictures or even insert a smiley?

<INSERT SMILEY>

Mezo.

OK the boss told me i was being a dick & told me what button to press. :D

So lets carry on eh, well my weekly trip to town & i found some of this stuff (cheers Nee)

dolomite.jpg

"That`s luxury that is"

And i shuffled said plants around & put my big arse patio heater in there, connected the bottle and,,,,f**k all?

heater.jpg

I know what is the problem (its the thermocouple) and we know how to bypass it (don't try this at home kiddies is dangerous) But myself & Danny boy a trained idiots & we know what were doing, a thermocouple is to cut off the gas supply in the even the flame gets blown out, haaa who needs safety.

Mezo.

Hey mezo whould check your safety manual about hanging gas burners ar 90 degree angles and what are all those pots doing laying on there sides? hehe good work

Well the gas tanks x 5 five you see hanging from the roof do contain petrol (prevents rusting) we did crank the heater up for one or two min`s max & the heat was amazing, it warmed up the tent it literally seconds.

So a quick bodge with Mr Thermocouple & "She`ll be right mate" :)

Mezo.

Back