• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Mezo`s "super hots" Glog including the 'big' solar dehydrator.

The is thread with the humungous solar dehydrator. :D

solardehydrator3.jpg

G-Day, im Mez or Mezo & im new to this part of Australia having come from Perth (Western Australia) where growing chili peppers is so easy (except the heat).

I live in the border ranges in northern New South Wales (bordering Queensland) and its a mixed bag of temperate & tropical conditions, the summers are very hot, wet & humid, the winters are dry & sunny.

Average daily temps.

averagedailytemp.gif

And average monthly rainfall.

averagemonthlyrain.gif

Aussies reading this will already know this, but people in other country's probably paint a picture of Australia as a hot dry/dusty land but this is far from the truth, up north its full blown tropics with a wet season & 100% humidity (yuck). Down south its freezing cold & snow during winter, out west its a dry heat like in the Mediterranean & in the middle of Australia is desert country.

So im now growing for the first time "Super hots" and for a very important reason, whilst working away in Perth i had a double heart attack wich has left me permanently disabled, sadly they are unable to operate on me (bypass/stent) as its to far gone, so having worked all my life (Electrician) im now at the age of 45 claiming a disability pension & i hate not being able to work.

Now i take shovel fulls of dam tablets to keep my heart pumping & id rather not be taking any but right now there no option i have to take them or ill drop dead on the spot. After much reading i found out that cayenne powder has all sort of benefits to your health & well being, especially to your cardio vascular system. I had read that cayenne powder can stop a heart attack in its track & i put this to the test (twice) and yes it does work where the medication (Nitrolingual) had no effect.

So anyone reading this who spots a friend having a heart attack just flick some chili powder in a glass of water as fast as you can & get them to drink in right down, fast. It works within 30 seconds of drinking it & it saved me from two more attacks already.

So there's my life story in a nutshell & some sound advice on how to save a heart attack victims life.
And this ladies & gentlymen is why im growing "Super Hots" to make high heat cayenne powder for cooking to improve my circulation/remove fats & as a "just in case of emergency"

OK on with the first of my "Hots" the Bhut Jolokia, the reason i chose this was simple i just Googled "whats the hottest chili" and up popped the result, however further reading on the interweb i found threads from this forum & names like the Butch T, the Douglah & Brain Strain.

So ive ordered them from pepperlover.com after so many people gave such great reviews, Bhut in the meantime lets look at my Jolokia`s.

Bhut2.jpg

Bhut6.jpg

Must admit i just love the shape & color of these babies.
icon_mrgreen.gif

More soon,

Mezo.

Mez,

My guess is the leaf drop is problem with calcium... then again what the hell do I know. ;)

Ya think Conor? so what do i need to buy then? (and don't say calcium) is there a product that has all that in already?
Ive got some miracle grow (just got it) and the plants are well overdue for watering so i may try that.

Your just in time to see you Black Prince toms on video (mezovision) haa, that's my YouTube channel name.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGe-9gM56Hs&feature=youtu.be

Mezo.

Mezo amazing setup that is crazy you firecrackers are blooming in the pellets the roots must look amazing in that container. What is a super scorpion.
Fernando

Mezo amazing setup that is crazy you firecrackers are blooming in the pellets the roots must look amazing in that container. What is a super scorpion.
Fernando

Its a Scorpion that`s super Fernando, i didn't name it that`s what they guys call them, originally from AlabamaJack so the story goes.

Mezo.

Mezo, the duck story is cracking me up totally!
Your little farm's got soul, brothah!

Cheers Paul,

Well slack day today, decided to re-pot Conor`s St Helena Yellows.

StHelenaYellow6.jpg

They are 350mm high now (the tallest one).

StHelenaYellow7.jpg

So i had three large pots spare & decided that would suit just fine.

StHelenaYellow8.jpg

Nice root ball.

StHelenaYellow9.jpg

StHelenaYellow10.jpg

StHelenaYellow11.jpg

See if i can catch conor`s plants up.

Mezo.

The pot-ups look great, Mezo!

The St Helena`s Conor sent have a great story behind them, i only got five seeds & thankfully i have three nice healthy plants as a result. They actually came from St Helena direct to Conor in Canada from a friend living on the island & he has been passing them to various members.

Mezo.

The St Helena`s Conor sent have a great story behind them, i only got five seeds & thankfully i have three nice healthy plants as a result. They actually came from St Helena direct to Conor in Canada from a friend living on the island & he has been passing them to various members.

Mezo.

I have a st helena in my backyard but its not a chilli, I suppose the story is very simular for anything that came of the island?

For just calcium, You can use egg shells... Crush em up, spread them around the plant, and water...

Seems to be relatively quick acting as my potted plants perked up in a few days.

magnesium can be had through epsom salts, but I hear it might not be available right away? not sure.

My local big box carries Alaska Kelp for hydro/foliar etc. It has calcium and Magnesium in it... I'm using it in my hydro grow.

ALSO I've got 80% done on a dehydrator like you've got, but smaller. Mines about 4' tall by 18" x 18 ". I'm experimenting with what to use for trays to set the peppers on.

Glad to hear Lucky Ducky didn't get sent down the road.

Looking great Mezo. If you want a good product with plenty of calcium, magnesium, carbon and silica in it. Try Organic Link (you can get it in bulk quantities (buy buckets from bunnings or 25kg Sacks online The website also has plenty of good links and info on it) and a little goes a long way and only needs to be re-applied every 2-3 months) . I use this in conjunction with Backyard Boost and Stimulate (Kelp and Fulvic) and worm juice at half strengths every 2nd watering during summer and every watering (less frequent watering) when it gets cooler.

Those things combined should ensure you are never lacking in any nutrient. You could probably reduce the liquid feedings even further if you wanted to.

They are all local products to the area too mezo which was a bonus while trying to source good organic ferts.

By the way check your mail!!

I made up some of that home-made Calmag type stuff earlier using Dolomite Lime and White Vinegar. Is that the sort of thing you're after?

Recipe here http://thehotpepper....ime#entry557913

Cheers Neil, ive been reading another thread on this subject, someone said gypsum & i replied drywall (same stuff).
Would that work? off cuts of drywall (peel of the paper) and crush back to a powder.

For just calcium, You can use egg shells... Crush em up, spread them around the plant, and water...

Seems to be relatively quick acting as my potted plants perked up in a few days.

magnesium can be had through epsom salts, but I hear it might not be available right away? not sure.

My local big box carries Alaska Kelp for hydro/foliar etc. It has calcium and Magnesium in it... I'm using it in my hydro grow.

ALSO I've got 80% done on a dehydrator like you've got, but smaller. Mines about 4' tall by 18" x 18 ". I'm experimenting with what to use for trays to set the peppers on.

Glad to hear Lucky Ducky didn't get sent down the road.

Yep id seen the eggshell & vinegar one as well, thanks.

Looking great Mezo. If you want a good product with plenty of calcium, magnesium, carbon and silica in it. Try Organic Link(you can get it in bulk quantities (buy buckets from bunnings or 25kg Sacks online The website also has plenty of good links and info on it) and a little goes a long way and only needs to be re-applied every 2-3 months) . I use this in conjunction with Backyard Boost and Stimulate (Kelp and Fulvic) and worm juice at half strengths every 2nd watering during summer and every watering (less frequent watering) when it gets cooler.

Those things combined should ensure you are never lacking in any nutrient. You could probably reduce the liquid feedings even further if you wanted to.

They are all local products to the area too mezo which was a bonus while trying to source good organic ferts.

By the way check your mail!!

Cheers Trippa (check mail?) you mean PM`s nothing new in there?

Im going to have a look in Norco on sat morning, its a farming town so they may have a bulk lot of something.

Whilst i was talking about that St Helena Yellow (which is orange)? Trish dropped some chilli`s on the bench, they are growing in her sons back yard & he`s been eating them (new house to him) she was asking if i knew what they are?

But don't they look like that picture above of the (orange) St Helena Yellow?

kennys1.jpg

kennys2.jpg

Anyone know what these are?

Mezo.

I use the egg shells myself Mezo, use them 2 way.

1. Powder them up and mix into my potting soil
2. Crack them into small pieces and if you see any slugs then put the shells out around the plants and watch the slugs cut themselves to death on the sharp edges.

I have no idea what those peppers are but, they sure look good. What's the heat on them like?

Cheers Neil, ive been reading another thread on this subject, someone said gypsum & i replied drywall (same stuff).
Would that work? off cuts of drywall (peel of the paper) and crush back to a powder.

Yep id seen the eggshell & vinegar one as well, thanks.

Cheers Trippa (check mail?) you mean PM`s nothing new in there?

Im going to have a look in Norco on sat morning, its a farming town so they may have a bulk lot of something.

Whilst i was talking about that St Helena Yellow (which is orange)? Trish dropped some chilli`s on the bench, they are growing in her sons back yard & he`s been eating them (new house to him) she was asking if i knew what they are?

But don't they look like that picture above of the (orange) St Helena Yellow?

kennys1.jpg

kennys2.jpg

Anyone know what these are?

Mezo.

Heya Mezo,

Kinda look like orane habs, my saint helena tree :D

a767f15d.jpg

Nothing like an orange hab ive ever seen? that`s why i took a pic next to the scissors so you could see how small they were.

Here is Orange Habanero as i see them on Google.

4492721120_34251d49e0_z.jpg

Do you have a pictures of the pods on that St Helena?

EDIT: Just read this on the St Helena Yellow,,,they do indeed start yellow & turn orange.

St. Helena Island Yellow

Upright, smooth, 1.5"x.75" bright orange-yellow hot fruits on rather small plant; looks much like a small, yellow Jalapeno; very attractive.

"They are bright yellow about 2" long and sometimes grow a bit shapeless. Probably came from the east years ago by some traveler. Hottest we have and now seems to be getting rare."

Haaa, getting rare. Just give a few seeds to Conor & he takes care of that problem.

Mezo.

Back