• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Mezo`s "super hots" Glog including the 'big' solar dehydrator.

The is thread with the humungous solar dehydrator. :D

solardehydrator3.jpg

G-Day, im Mez or Mezo & im new to this part of Australia having come from Perth (Western Australia) where growing chili peppers is so easy (except the heat).

I live in the border ranges in northern New South Wales (bordering Queensland) and its a mixed bag of temperate & tropical conditions, the summers are very hot, wet & humid, the winters are dry & sunny.

Average daily temps.

averagedailytemp.gif

And average monthly rainfall.

averagemonthlyrain.gif

Aussies reading this will already know this, but people in other country's probably paint a picture of Australia as a hot dry/dusty land but this is far from the truth, up north its full blown tropics with a wet season & 100% humidity (yuck). Down south its freezing cold & snow during winter, out west its a dry heat like in the Mediterranean & in the middle of Australia is desert country.

So im now growing for the first time "Super hots" and for a very important reason, whilst working away in Perth i had a double heart attack wich has left me permanently disabled, sadly they are unable to operate on me (bypass/stent) as its to far gone, so having worked all my life (Electrician) im now at the age of 45 claiming a disability pension & i hate not being able to work.

Now i take shovel fulls of dam tablets to keep my heart pumping & id rather not be taking any but right now there no option i have to take them or ill drop dead on the spot. After much reading i found out that cayenne powder has all sort of benefits to your health & well being, especially to your cardio vascular system. I had read that cayenne powder can stop a heart attack in its track & i put this to the test (twice) and yes it does work where the medication (Nitrolingual) had no effect.

So anyone reading this who spots a friend having a heart attack just flick some chili powder in a glass of water as fast as you can & get them to drink in right down, fast. It works within 30 seconds of drinking it & it saved me from two more attacks already.

So there's my life story in a nutshell & some sound advice on how to save a heart attack victims life.
And this ladies & gentlymen is why im growing "Super Hots" to make high heat cayenne powder for cooking to improve my circulation/remove fats & as a "just in case of emergency"

OK on with the first of my "Hots" the Bhut Jolokia, the reason i chose this was simple i just Googled "whats the hottest chili" and up popped the result, however further reading on the interweb i found threads from this forum & names like the Butch T, the Douglah & Brain Strain.

So ive ordered them from pepperlover.com after so many people gave such great reviews, Bhut in the meantime lets look at my Jolokia`s.

Bhut2.jpg

Bhut6.jpg

Must admit i just love the shape & color of these babies.
icon_mrgreen.gif

More soon,

Mezo.

To be honest im not sure. LoL

Id say roughly 50 chooks, 50 ducks, several Geese, two lambs at the moment,,,,we have ten calfs comming over from QLD next week, three of the geese are sitting on a huge pile of eggs so that may change to potential 20 odd Geese any day.

Weve had roughly ten new ducks born in the last week & half a dozen chickens, but we have four ducks sitting on a pile of eggs & four hens sitting on a pile as well so the numbers can rise daily.

We sold 17 roosters last week as we allready have ten offical ones for breeding so 27 "cock a bloody doodle doo" was enough for me & i put them on Gumtree for ten bucks each & sold the lot to another breeder in QLD.

When i arrived here 12 months ago it was simple, a dozen Chooks & a dozen Ducks to account for at night, now theres always a minimum of 100 to 150 animals to keep an eye on (as the farm caretaker) and the reason its grown is because im here & Trish the owner doesnt have to worry anymore as she knows im here 24-7 to look out for them & feed them whilst she`s in Vegas working.

Are you looking for any Chooks or Ducks? we advertise on Gumtree all the time, im just about to put Jack the 12 month old Goose on there (honk honk) :-)

Mezo.

And the good news,,,were finally connected to the grid, yes im running on electric finally. :party:

Ah Mezo, that's amazing news mate! That's going to make life so much better for you...
Hats off for managing to do so well without it too....

So nice not to have to run generators to charge up all the batterys Nee, we took Trish`s fridge up to the house & plugged it in & bang went the RCD, its been sat outside for years & is shagged out so she went & brought & newie yesterday.

Finally i can have a cold beer. :party:

Funny thing is though ive been drinking black coffee for over a year now (no way of keeping my milk cool) and now its my prefrence. We do have a little camping gas fridge but its only big enough for putting meat, cheese & butter in.

Main bonus is the always on broadband sattelite, i could only use it for a couple of hours a day as the petrol to run the genny was just whey to expensive, ive downloaded 10gigs of youtube in just a couple of days.

Next thing is sattelite TV (cant get a normal signal here).

Mezo.

To be honest im not sure. LoL

Id say roughly 50 chooks, 50 ducks, several Geese, two lambs at the moment,,,,we have ten calfs comming over from QLD next week, three of the geese are sitting on a huge pile of eggs so that may change to potential 20 odd Geese any day.

Weve had roughly ten new ducks born in the last week & half a dozen chickens, but we have four ducks sitting on a pile of eggs & four hens sitting on a pile as well so the numbers can rise daily.

We sold 17 roosters last week as we allready have ten offical ones for breeding so 27 "cock a bloody doodle doo" was enough for me & i put them on Gumtree for ten bucks each & sold the lot to another breeder in QLD.

When i arrived here 12 months ago it was simple, a dozen Chooks & a dozen Ducks to account for at night, now theres always a minimum of 100 to 150 animals to keep an eye on (as the farm caretaker) and the reason its grown is because im here & Trish the owner doesnt have to worry anymore as she knows im here 24-7 to look out for them & feed them whilst she`s in Vegas working.

Are you looking for any Chooks or Ducks? we advertise on Gumtree all the time, im just about to put Jack the 12 month old Goose on there (honk honk) :-)

Mezo.
Mezo , thats alot of dam chook food to buy, better start selling some of those chilli plants to pay for chook food, love how the chooks follow that snake around like its a play thing, we lost 2 dogs to snakes a few years back .One year my father was in his shed and felt something running down his leg , when he looked it was blood , and then noticed 2 small bite marks , he was bitten by a snake and didnt even feel it , after spending the night in hospital he was ok .

Well its been a real hot spring day 31°C (88°F) and they said there would a slight chance of a shower, possible thunder.

Well the sky darkened, the wind started to pick up, then lightning & then the storm front hit me, BIG TIME.

So the old faithful tent now has a skylight courtesy of Jeebus himself, thanks buddy.

septemberstorm1_zps1493b578.jpg

septemberstorm3_zps2ed8865c.jpg

Its worse than it looks from the pics, the whole frame is now bent like a banana, and the makeshift carport for the Suzuki,, well that's pretty shagged as well, and now (half an hour later) the sun is out & not a breeze in the sky.

septemberstorm4_zps8826cc7f.jpg

septemberstorm5_zps8396392b.jpg

Dunno what im going to do know? cant repair a hole that size in the tent & as soon as it rains its going to drown everything inside.

Mezo.

Sheeet, Meez. And this is just the beginning. :(

Thought we were in for a bad one here... sky looked naaaasty about half hour ago. Rushed around like mad putting all my plants in the shed but looks like we only got the tail end of something. Would've left them out to get a bit of fresh rain after today's heat!

IMG_8249.JPG

IMG_8246.JPG

Well i thought you would have copped a floggin in Boganville, i watched it on the radar & it looked like you had real heavy rain? Problem ive got here is i live in the valley & all the wind gets funneled between the mountains on both sides.

I don't know how im going to repair that huge gaping whole?

Mezo.

Yeah, saw that heavy rain coming in on the radar too. Got hardly anything though. Must have been just north of me that copped it, between here and the city.

Think you might need a new cover there, Meez. :\

Well the forecast for the next few days is OK, so ill try & think of a way to "patch it up" my new seedling are right below that hole. These wedding marquees are only a couple of hundred bucks anyhow, so its buy another or spend the same amount on some shade cloth & recover it, but seems the frame is so badly damaged now its a bin jobbie i think?

Might look in to making a giant hoop house this time using 40mm PVC water pipe & shade cloth to cover it, problem with the wedding marquee material is its not UV rated & the sun from the last 12 months has made the plastic weak as crap.

After all there job is for one day (a wedding) and that`s it, we got this from one of Danny`s mates who got married & sold it to us. Its design was never intended as a permanent set up as a greenhouse, so to get a year has been amazing especially how many storms its been through, its held together with cable ties & gaffer tap. LoL

Mezo.

Damn, that's bad news about the marquee Mez...although, as you said, these things aren't made for more than one seasons use, but it still sucks.
It looks a massive task, but would a load of cable ties do the job for a while?
Hope you get it sorted...

Cable ties Nee, your taking to Mr Sparky here remember?

Its f**ked brother, its as much use as a mudflap on a tortoise, as much use as an ashtray on on a motorbike, as much use as a chocolate teapot, as much use as tits on on a bull, its f**ked bro LoL

Ive gotten drunk on Old Tawny im pissed off & im going to bed. night night everyone.

Mez.

Reactions: nee
Your right there Gas, i don't have a pot to piss in (skint as f**k) so whatever i come up with it will be a MacGyver jobbie.

f**k i need to win the lotto big time, im serious guys.

Mez.

You could try using the plastic from the 'carport' if it's not too ripped up to try and fix the roof atleast partially.
I'm thinking a sort of rooftile plan. Put the carport seal under sloped roof part and over the vertical part, that way water can't get in. I guess tyraps or duct tape will be sufficient to hold it if you pull it tight enough so water can't accumulate.
Also first post, been lurking long enough now, nice setup you got. :)

Your right there Gas, i don't have a pot to piss in (skint as f**k) so whatever i come up with it will be a MacGyver jobbie.

f**k i need to win the lotto big time, im serious guys.

Mez.

MacGyver the hell outta it, Meez!

You're an ideas man. That's how I know you'll nail this.

(And when you win that lotto... send some of it over this way, won't you?)

You could try using the plastic from the 'carport' if it's not too ripped up to try and fix the roof atleast partially.
I'm thinking a sort of rooftile plan. Put the carport seal under sloped roof part and over the vertical part, that way water can't get in. I guess tyraps or duct tape will be sufficient to hold it if you pull it tight enough so water can't accumulate.

I was thinking the same thing... but I had tarps in mind. Using the carport cover is a great idea but doesn't look like it'll be big enough. Maybe that and some tarps?

Trouble is, seems like a lot of stuffing around and is still gonna end up as something temporary at best? I dunno........

:welcome: to THP, BTW, mate!

Classic!

Thousands of pepper-heads on here posting sooo many articles / pictures / advice...but it took Mezo's ripped marqee to finally lure you in!! lol

Welcome to the forum mate! :welcome:

Everything happens for a reason. :lol:

What is it a test Gas? just to see Mezo`s MacGyver skills.

Well i may have a solution to my new open air tent, ive cut up a chook food bag (similar material) meaning woven plastic.
Ive scrounged some "no more nails" & ive cut the bag down one side & then applied the glue, ive then stuck it on the underside of the ripped tent & if it holds ill then stick the other side over the side so water should run off.

Its all dependant on how strong this stuff sticks? i may try silicone if this don't hold, rains not due till Friday so it gives ma a few days to sort something.

Im now looking in to building something more solid & permanent, not sure if you guys have seen how the commercial guys make them? using UPV water pipe & star pickets to form a hoop house, then you use smaller pipes with rope threaded through to give it lateral support, then you cover the whole thing with UV resistant shade cloth.

Something like this, but stronger so the wind doesn't collapse it.

Shadehouse+complete.jpg

Mezo.

Back