• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Mezo`s "super hots" Glog including the 'big' solar dehydrator.

The is thread with the humungous solar dehydrator. :D

solardehydrator3.jpg

G-Day, im Mez or Mezo & im new to this part of Australia having come from Perth (Western Australia) where growing chili peppers is so easy (except the heat).

I live in the border ranges in northern New South Wales (bordering Queensland) and its a mixed bag of temperate & tropical conditions, the summers are very hot, wet & humid, the winters are dry & sunny.

Average daily temps.

averagedailytemp.gif

And average monthly rainfall.

averagemonthlyrain.gif

Aussies reading this will already know this, but people in other country's probably paint a picture of Australia as a hot dry/dusty land but this is far from the truth, up north its full blown tropics with a wet season & 100% humidity (yuck). Down south its freezing cold & snow during winter, out west its a dry heat like in the Mediterranean & in the middle of Australia is desert country.

So im now growing for the first time "Super hots" and for a very important reason, whilst working away in Perth i had a double heart attack wich has left me permanently disabled, sadly they are unable to operate on me (bypass/stent) as its to far gone, so having worked all my life (Electrician) im now at the age of 45 claiming a disability pension & i hate not being able to work.

Now i take shovel fulls of dam tablets to keep my heart pumping & id rather not be taking any but right now there no option i have to take them or ill drop dead on the spot. After much reading i found out that cayenne powder has all sort of benefits to your health & well being, especially to your cardio vascular system. I had read that cayenne powder can stop a heart attack in its track & i put this to the test (twice) and yes it does work where the medication (Nitrolingual) had no effect.

So anyone reading this who spots a friend having a heart attack just flick some chili powder in a glass of water as fast as you can & get them to drink in right down, fast. It works within 30 seconds of drinking it & it saved me from two more attacks already.

So there's my life story in a nutshell & some sound advice on how to save a heart attack victims life.
And this ladies & gentlymen is why im growing "Super Hots" to make high heat cayenne powder for cooking to improve my circulation/remove fats & as a "just in case of emergency"

OK on with the first of my "Hots" the Bhut Jolokia, the reason i chose this was simple i just Googled "whats the hottest chili" and up popped the result, however further reading on the interweb i found threads from this forum & names like the Butch T, the Douglah & Brain Strain.

So ive ordered them from pepperlover.com after so many people gave such great reviews, Bhut in the meantime lets look at my Jolokia`s.

Bhut2.jpg

Bhut6.jpg

Must admit i just love the shape & color of these babies.
icon_mrgreen.gif

More soon,

Mezo.

Only criticism about that site....it's pretty annoying that they don't have at least which country the event's are in the title somewhere. Seems a bit odd not to, seeing as though the events are from all around the globe! Having to click each one just to see if it's in your country gets tedious. (i might have missed a 'search by country' tab maybe!?)

Only criticism about that site....it's pretty annoying that they don't have at least which country the event's are in the title somewhere. Seems a bit odd not to, seeing as though the events are from all around the globe! Having to click each one just to see if it's in your country gets tedious. (i might have missed a 'search by country' tab maybe!?)
Agreed

OK, been a while bhut here`s today's work,,,,i know it doesn't seem much to you guys bhut remember ive had a couple of heart attacks & this to me was an achievement, when i was a fit young fella i could have knocked out one of these in an hour, this took me all afternoon, but i did it. :woohoo:

So i grabbed some old rusty sheets of roof iron (2.4m) and worked out if i cut them four ways & used three sheets i could make a raised bed 600mm high (the same as the others) but just slightly smaller in overall diameter as the giant ones.

raisedbed10.jpg

Choppity chop chop (said Mr Reciprocating saw) and twelve bits of tin.

raisedbed11.jpg

Then i lad it out on the ground & tech screwed them together (with a refreshing Stella)

raisedbed12.jpg

Then dragged the f*ckin thing all the way to where were setting up the beds, huff puff.

Then made it in to a circle & did the final screw.

raisedbed13.jpg

It looks a bit wobbly & it is bhut once the dirt gets in there fingers crossed it should come good.

raisedbed14.jpg

So i have a few more to make & im setting a goal of one a day.

Mezo.

Then i laid it out on the ground & tech screwed them together (with a refreshing Stella)

I would have used a screwdriver...much quicker..... Boom boom!

Seriously now... If they are a bit wobbly, you could always whack a few metal stakes in at strategic places around the edge?...just so it stays together enough until all of the earth is in anyway. Might help a bit?

Did you use the reciprocating saw to cut the ass out of the other raised beds too? When I first saw it my first thought was "fun with the angle grinder".

Looks like you're getting set up for a big grow!

Seriously now... If they are a bit wobbly, you could always whack a few metal stakes in at strategic places around the edge?...just so it stays together enough until all of the earth is in anyway. Might help a bit?

Yep there called "Star Pickets" Neil, we use them for the barbed wire fencing here, i will see how i go when we get to filling the beds.

Did you use the reciprocating saw to cut the ass out of the other raised beds too? When I first saw it my first thought was "fun with the angle grinder".

Looks like you're getting set up for a big grow!

I was going to use an angle grinder originally, it was Danny boy who said "nah use the saw" and he was right, much better.

Yep im making a bed for each of the superhots, the habs will go in the old veggie patch & will be know as the "Hab patch" and ive also got to make a bed for the Asparagus ive got growing (roughly 150 of them) so it will need to be very big indeed, possibly more than one bed??

Mezo.

All is coming together very nicely. I cant wait for each step so keep posting please. The occasional cool one is necessary while doing hard labor. :P

Yep there called "Star Pickets" Neil, we use them for the barbed wire fencing here, i will see how i go when we get to filling the beds.

Boom boom boom! :rofl:

Yep im making a bed for each of the superhots, the habs will go in the old veggie patch & will be know as the "Hab patch"

Old patch or not... ditch the Habs! Ditch 'em good!!! :sick:

(Have I ever mentioned how much I despise Habs? :lol:)

The occasional cool one is necessary while doing hard labor. :P

Had another "occasional" today Pia. :party:

Old patch or not... ditch the Habs! Ditch 'em good!!! :sick:
(Have I ever mentioned how much I despise Habs? :lol:)

Yes Gassy you have mentioned it once or twice. :whistle:

The hab patch will be, reds, chocs, orange & whites (even if they do taste shit) im growing them to try.

Cut up the steel for two more beds today, couldn't be arsed screwing them together this arvo, hunting around for more sheets of tin around the farm. Worked out i need fourteen beds (just for superhots) not including my 150 odd Asparagus plants.

My list for the beds is as follows.

1. Bhut Jolokia (red)
2. Bhut Jolokia (yellow)
3. Dorset Naga
4. Fatalli
5. Large red 7 pod
6. Naga Morich
7. Trinidad 7 pod "Brain Strain"
8. Trinidad 7 pod "Brain Strain Yellow"
9. Trinidad 7 pod Brown
10.Trinidad "Douglah"
11. Trinidad Scorpion "Butch T"
12. Trinidad Scorpion "Moruga"
13. Trinidad Scorpion "Moruga Yellow"
14. Trinidad Scorpion red

The hab`s in the "Hab Patch"

And all the other in planters.

Mezo.

Can't wait to see these things full of them plants and going off, Meez! :onfire:

It's just the true orange Habs that I can't stand. Proceed with the rest. :D (Like my opinion and word is gonna change a damn thing, eh..... :rofl:)

Just a few piccies from the tent this morning, this one is the new sprouts "Cherry Pepper" for the farmers markets later in the year. The ones in the middle not the colored cups around the outside, these cherry`s grow like weeds.

cherrypepper.jpg

And then the ones again in the middle & again for the farmers market later in the year are Hungarian Hot Cherry`s, Bishops Crown, Banana Pepper & Cayenne.

seedlings1.jpg

You can see how fast the Cherry Peppers grow, all went in on the same day.

Here is a tray of Thai Birdseye again for the farmers market, there are 54 plants per tray.

thaibirdseye.jpg

Also been busy re-potting some of my Asparagus plants, managed to do 48 yesterday.

I was walking past my mature Asparagus plants & spotted this frog.

frog.jpg

I went in for a close up & he gave me the bird, he`s only as big as a thumbnail by the way.

froglarge.jpg

And finally just a quickie of the the tent in general, the plants are now sprouting leaves once again as its warmed up a fair bit.

tentgrow16.jpg

Mezo.

Hey everyone, ive been "off air" all week (PC froze) just got back online with a loaner, what a pain i lost all my bookmarks/passwords & all email address`s, nightmare.

Ive got some sprouting a happening with the new seeds from Judy (pics later) its warmed up here now although its still winter were getting 27`s & plenty of sunshine.

Made a few more riased beds, still got more to make (pics to follow) gotta get back to the PC for a few days & get everything restored.

Mezo.

oioi Meeez

I did wonder what happened to you...

Hope you get the computer stuff in order...its painful when you lose all your faves / bookmarks etc :(

oioi Meeez

I did wonder what happened to you...

Hope you get the computer stuff in order...its painful when you lose all your faves / bookmarks etc :(

Even more anoying i use firefox sync & i managed to loose all that? i should have done a hard copy of everything on to a USB thumb drive, but hey ho s*it happens as they say.

Ive lost a fair few plants in the last few weeks, they never recovered from "the haircut" mainly Brain Strain & Butch T strains, Still ive got plenty of Bhut Jolo`s growing, and im just sprouting Yellow Brain Strains, Morouga`s, Yellow Morouga`s & 7 pod browns.

Still doing battle with aphids & i think spraying them with white oil was the reason ive lost the plants? i hate ants/aphids.

Mezo.

Back