• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Mezo`s "super hots" Glog including the 'big' solar dehydrator.

The is thread with the humungous solar dehydrator. :D

solardehydrator3.jpg

G-Day, im Mez or Mezo & im new to this part of Australia having come from Perth (Western Australia) where growing chili peppers is so easy (except the heat).

I live in the border ranges in northern New South Wales (bordering Queensland) and its a mixed bag of temperate & tropical conditions, the summers are very hot, wet & humid, the winters are dry & sunny.

Average daily temps.

averagedailytemp.gif

And average monthly rainfall.

averagemonthlyrain.gif

Aussies reading this will already know this, but people in other country's probably paint a picture of Australia as a hot dry/dusty land but this is far from the truth, up north its full blown tropics with a wet season & 100% humidity (yuck). Down south its freezing cold & snow during winter, out west its a dry heat like in the Mediterranean & in the middle of Australia is desert country.

So im now growing for the first time "Super hots" and for a very important reason, whilst working away in Perth i had a double heart attack wich has left me permanently disabled, sadly they are unable to operate on me (bypass/stent) as its to far gone, so having worked all my life (Electrician) im now at the age of 45 claiming a disability pension & i hate not being able to work.

Now i take shovel fulls of dam tablets to keep my heart pumping & id rather not be taking any but right now there no option i have to take them or ill drop dead on the spot. After much reading i found out that cayenne powder has all sort of benefits to your health & well being, especially to your cardio vascular system. I had read that cayenne powder can stop a heart attack in its track & i put this to the test (twice) and yes it does work where the medication (Nitrolingual) had no effect.

So anyone reading this who spots a friend having a heart attack just flick some chili powder in a glass of water as fast as you can & get them to drink in right down, fast. It works within 30 seconds of drinking it & it saved me from two more attacks already.

So there's my life story in a nutshell & some sound advice on how to save a heart attack victims life.
And this ladies & gentlymen is why im growing "Super Hots" to make high heat cayenne powder for cooking to improve my circulation/remove fats & as a "just in case of emergency"

OK on with the first of my "Hots" the Bhut Jolokia, the reason i chose this was simple i just Googled "whats the hottest chili" and up popped the result, however further reading on the interweb i found threads from this forum & names like the Butch T, the Douglah & Brain Strain.

So ive ordered them from pepperlover.com after so many people gave such great reviews, Bhut in the meantime lets look at my Jolokia`s.

Bhut2.jpg

Bhut6.jpg

Must admit i just love the shape & color of these babies.
icon_mrgreen.gif

More soon,

Mezo.

Like the experiment mez and it seems to be following what the literature suggested could happen .... hmmm its seem to have some merit for sure

Well hopefully when myself & Danny do the blind taste test it should prove whether its hotter with prawn shells or not.
The growth & stuff is more likely just good compost for the plant, its the heat level im interested in.

Just in case guys, freeze all your old prawn shells. ;)

Mezo.

Quick update, my St Helena Island Yellow`s are ripening to orange, not sure if they actually go yellow or not? Conor?
From the pics ive seen they seem to stay orange St Helena Island Orange. :-)

StHelenaYellow13-1.jpg

If any of you wanted some seeds hollar out, this chilli is getting pretty rare (so the story goes) and what makes this story interesting is Conor has a friend on the Island & she sent him some & Conor sent some to me.

My Florida Wild`s are starting to pod now as well, again these were sent to me by Conor in Canada.

FloridaWild1-1.jpg

And below are my Brain Strain Yellow`s from Judy just about to start ripening.

BrainStrainYellow1.jpg

And below is another of my Bhut Jolokie plants (i think?) with plenty of fruit, ive got heaps of theses growing.

BhutJolokia28.jpg

Mezo.

Looking good mez ... especially considering the hassle and obstacles which you have overcome to get to this point .... nice work bro

Cheers Trip, its not over till the fat lady sings though, we could have a cyclone come through? your plants would be f*cked before mine. :rofl:

But seriously you never know what`s around the corner, ive had several pods drop off & they are just ripening, when i pick them up there squishy & rotten? any ideas?

Mezo.

Cheers Trip, its not over till the fat lady sings though, we could have a cyclone come through? your plants would be f*cked before mine. :rofl:

But seriously you never know what`s around the corner, ive had several pods drop off & they are just ripening, when i pick them up there squishy & rotten? any ideas?

Mezo.

ber, overwatering or fungal issues would be my bets or simply the heat??

Mez your plants look wonderful. F off wind storm pests and everything else you went through. Your about to be swimming in pods my good man. Hell we need another tutorial on how to use that dehydrator.

Your about to be swimming in pods my good man.

I think your right Pia, im looking forward to a dryer full to the brim with all the colours (reds & yellows, peach & browns) even some cracker hab`s (i think that's the slang for us white fella`s in the USA?)

Mezo.

Mezo ya cracker! :rofl:

Nice podies!

I have a Florida Wild going ATM too but it is being absolutely slaughtered by broad mite. I'm 99.9% certain I'm not going to see a pod from it so make sure you eat one for me!

Hey, Meez! The prawn shell experiment is going well! The
plant on the right really does look like it's veging at a faster
rate. Can't wait for the final result. Always something fun
going on at your place!

Maybe I missed it, but were you able to resurrect the dehydrator
after the big storm? You had mentioned it got hammered pretty bad.

Get those aphids and their farmer ants, bro!

Looking good Mez, I like that orange color of the St Helena's, what's the heat like on those?

I know you have a but load of cleaning up left to do, have you thought about when your going to start building the smoker? Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Cheers

Wonderful updates since I last read on 5 of January, love dem pics and great read mon!!!

Thanks WG, im itching to take more pics as they ripen, lots of potting still to do yet.

Mezo ya cracker! :rofl:

Nice podies!

I have a Florida Wild going ATM too but it is being absolutely slaughtered by broad mite. I'm 99.9% certain I'm not going to see a pod from it so make sure you eat one for me!

Ive got loads of spare Florida Wilds Gas, i can get Danny to drop some back on Sunday if you want to pop round his house in Logan (Woodridge)

ok Mezo. I'm officially jealous now. :mope: Your pepper grow is going great!!! :party:

Thanks DC, still months of growing ahead & plenty of work.

Hey, Meez! The prawn shell experiment is going well! The
plant on the right really does look like it's veging at a faster
rate. Can't wait for the final result. Always something fun
going on at your place!

Maybe I missed it, but were you able to resurrect the dehydrator
after the big storm? You had mentioned it got hammered pretty bad.

Get those aphids and their farmer ants, bro!

Hey Paul, yep the prawn shell experiment is doing very well, if it works then you guys can try it out up north.

Mezooooo. Ahahahahahahaaaaaaa you are a riot

I watch to much of Chris Rock on youtube Pia, he has a special way of calling someone a cracker. :rofl:

Mezo.

Looking good Mez, I like that orange color of the St Helena's, what's the heat like on those?

Hey Bill, not tried one yet & i forgot what conor said about them? not that hot from memory? its pages back.
They produce some pretty fat pods though, sort of the size of your index finger till the first knuckle.

Ive just drowned all the plants with added urea (mine in case you was wondering) its a stinky job.

Mezo.

Mez,

Sorry I haven't responded sooner mate. My wife popped a son out on Jan. 4th and all hell has broken loose in the house. Our daughter is not thrilled about the new addition. Yah, the St. Helena's ripen to a deep orange instead of yellow. Looks spot on to what I grew out last summer. They are tasty but have lots of seeds. I made a great powder out of them, the wife and I use it in stir-frys/Asian dishes.

The Florida Wild is an awesome pepper fresh and so-so when it is dried. I ate them like candy while watering the garden and my peppers. Gives a quick jolt and then goes away. With the conditions in northern NSW, you will get at least a few thousand pods by the end of the season. I picked over a thousand before the damn plant tipped over in a storm and died.

I've got a few interesting ones for you mate. I'll PM you once things settle down and get whatever you'd like off to you in the post.

Glad things are going well and again sorry for not being on more often.

Conor

Mez,

Sorry I haven't responded sooner mate. My wife popped a son out on Jan. 4th and all hell has broken loose in the house. Our daughter is not thrilled about the new addition. Yah, the St. Helena's ripen to a deep orange instead of yellow. Looks spot on to what I grew out last summer. They are tasty but have lots of seeds. I made a great powder out of them, the wife and I use it in stir-frys/Asian dishes.

The Florida Wild is an awesome pepper fresh and so-so when it is dried. I ate them like candy while watering the garden and my peppers. Gives a quick jolt and then goes away. With the conditions in northern NSW, you will get at least a few thousand pods by the end of the season. I picked over a thousand before the damn plant tipped over in a storm and died.

I've got a few interesting ones for you mate. I'll PM you once things settle down and get whatever you'd like off to you in the post.

Glad things are going well and again sorry for not being on more often.

Conor

Congrats on your new son mate, same birthday as my dear old mum (rang her on the 4th to say G`Day) hows the nose?

Yep these St Helena`s are loaded with pods, they start upright & then as they get fatter the weight pulls them over, did you de-seed the pods or just grind them in?

The Florida Wild went wild, i had great germination rates (oh natural & no heat mat etc) ive got whey more than i need.

Mezo.

My mum hates having her birthday just after Christmas, she would have liked it around July like mine.

Mezo.

Back