• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Mezo`s "super hots" Glog including the 'big' solar dehydrator.

The is thread with the humungous solar dehydrator. :D

solardehydrator3.jpg

G-Day, im Mez or Mezo & im new to this part of Australia having come from Perth (Western Australia) where growing chili peppers is so easy (except the heat).

I live in the border ranges in northern New South Wales (bordering Queensland) and its a mixed bag of temperate & tropical conditions, the summers are very hot, wet & humid, the winters are dry & sunny.

Average daily temps.

averagedailytemp.gif

And average monthly rainfall.

averagemonthlyrain.gif

Aussies reading this will already know this, but people in other country's probably paint a picture of Australia as a hot dry/dusty land but this is far from the truth, up north its full blown tropics with a wet season & 100% humidity (yuck). Down south its freezing cold & snow during winter, out west its a dry heat like in the Mediterranean & in the middle of Australia is desert country.

So im now growing for the first time "Super hots" and for a very important reason, whilst working away in Perth i had a double heart attack wich has left me permanently disabled, sadly they are unable to operate on me (bypass/stent) as its to far gone, so having worked all my life (Electrician) im now at the age of 45 claiming a disability pension & i hate not being able to work.

Now i take shovel fulls of dam tablets to keep my heart pumping & id rather not be taking any but right now there no option i have to take them or ill drop dead on the spot. After much reading i found out that cayenne powder has all sort of benefits to your health & well being, especially to your cardio vascular system. I had read that cayenne powder can stop a heart attack in its track & i put this to the test (twice) and yes it does work where the medication (Nitrolingual) had no effect.

So anyone reading this who spots a friend having a heart attack just flick some chili powder in a glass of water as fast as you can & get them to drink in right down, fast. It works within 30 seconds of drinking it & it saved me from two more attacks already.

So there's my life story in a nutshell & some sound advice on how to save a heart attack victims life.
And this ladies & gentlymen is why im growing "Super Hots" to make high heat cayenne powder for cooking to improve my circulation/remove fats & as a "just in case of emergency"

OK on with the first of my "Hots" the Bhut Jolokia, the reason i chose this was simple i just Googled "whats the hottest chili" and up popped the result, however further reading on the interweb i found threads from this forum & names like the Butch T, the Douglah & Brain Strain.

So ive ordered them from pepperlover.com after so many people gave such great reviews, Bhut in the meantime lets look at my Jolokia`s.

Bhut2.jpg

Bhut6.jpg

Must admit i just love the shape & color of these babies.
icon_mrgreen.gif

More soon,

Mezo.

Yeah...his were in a tent also, but it got left open the first time and the second time was destroyed by a freak wind storm. Awful stuff. Said he's given up on this season and he'll see us next year. Hope that's not the case, but don't much blame him.

Anyway...your thread has that "Wonder what he's gonna do next?" feel that Paul and Jeff have going. I like it!

We had a 'summer?' storm late last year here, was sat having a frothy one under my awning with Danny & we saw this big dark cloud approaching, we knew we was in for trouble any minute.

SAM_1659640x480.jpg

SAM_1662640x480.jpg

Click on the image below of a very short movie, that`s me running for cover getting pelted my huge hailstones, it ripped my awning clean off & ripped the tent to pieces (since repaired)

I was in Brisbane when i filmed a freak storm 'summer' 2011 & that short storm would have destroyed everything if i had been growing like i am now, it ripped a big branch off the tree & only seconds before two cars passed where the branch came down.(excuse my language in the movie)

Yep we to get them wild weather events just like in the US, i hate them.

Mezo.

Geez Mezo that rain was pissin down hard. I feel your pain with the hailstorms though. A couple of yrs ago, it was a perfect looking day then bam outta nowhere these hailstones started pelting down. Aboslutely smashed my commodore up dented every panel :( Winter is upon us in my area already had a few frosts so far with plenty more to come.

It comes so quick without warning, Danny & i was just having a frothy one (as you do at 2pm Sunday arvo) and we saw this big ass cloud coming at us, Danny says "get your camera Mez this is amazing" & then it hit us.

Danny`s missus (Trish the land owner) is running around trying to protect her birds, dumb furkers standing there getting pelted by big ass hailstones (feathers flying) whilst myself & Danny was trying to hang on to the tent blowing away.

All my seeds (in packets) ended up whey down the paddock, it was intense, if that happened now all my work be would over.

I feel for Jeff, after all his hard work & for such a worthy cause.

Mezo.

Aw man, just when everything look so well on your blog, all those hot forest is an envy for everyone to see. Hate to see weather ruining the fun.

We had lots of rain two weeks ago, the plants were so over watered but luckily the sun has been shining for the last week now & more sunny days ahead, the drowning was another reason to move the plants in the tent so i can control the water.

weather2.jpg
:party: :party: :party: :party:

So i picked some more Bhut`s & whacked them in the dryer late yesterday arvo.

dehydrating23.jpg

And some pics of my St Helena Yellow`s, id sent Conor these pics but i may as well post them here on the glog.

StHelenaYellow4.jpg

StHelenaYellow3.jpg

Ive also been busy potting, very busy.

Ive done around 100 since the weekend & there's still plenty more left to do, i will post some pics later.

Mezo.

thats a lot of potting :)

A bit of everything but mainly Habs, they are going direct in to the ground in spring, i was hoping id be able to keep them in cups but they have so outgrown them.

Im keeping one of each (red, orange & choc) in pots & the rest in my big veggie patch, a veritable forest of habs.

Mezo.

OK as promised a few update pics, doesn't even look like ive done anything but i have & lots more to do.

tentgrow1.jpg

tentgrow2.jpg

tentgrow3.jpg

tentgrow4.jpg

tentgrow5.jpg

Plenty more waiting for potting.

Germination24.jpg

And more,

AmishBush3.jpg

And yet more,,,

wiriwiri3.jpg

My Amish Bush has started to flower still in its punnet.

AmishBush4.jpg

More pics when someone says "plants are looking really good Mezo" (up to my limit) :party:

Mezo.

Plants are lookin' nice Mezo! Lol

Phew !! thanks mate i was getting desperate there, i was needing pic`s post fix. :party:

Now ill post the crap pics. :D

Well not crap but not so "in yer face" wow shots, so pause for yawn & just for you David,,,

tentgrow7.jpg

Look at my Tom`s, eh eh. :D

blackprince10.jpg

Did i show you guys "Lucky" the lucky little bastard? the tip of his beak was showing, his mum had turfed him out of the nest. I started busting him (or her?) out of the cold shell & while im doing it this eye popped open, f**k i thought (excuse my French) the "little bastard" is still alive.

I cupped this soggy embryo (with blood & snot dribbling) & blew my hot breath in to warm the "little bastard`s" body,
So a week later here is "Lucky Bastard" the luckiest littlest bastard ducky in the world,

(we call him bastard because we don't know who his father is) the rest of the swearing is just me. :D

Mezo

Jebus Mezo lookin good... I drove down your way the on tuesday kinda, drove down to grafton and back, kept thinking about a detour!!!

Mezo, your grow looks just great, as always. I love tuning into your log; never know what to expect!
The little duck story is one in a million. You are miracle worker, indeed!

Okay, time to move plants out into the sun - good growing to ya, bro!

Jebus Mezo lookin good... I drove down your way the on tuesday kinda, drove down to grafton and back, kept thinking about a detour!!!

Your welcome if you passing one day, need a 4x4 to get in though.

Mezo, your grow looks just great, as always. I love tuning into your log; never know what to expect!
The little duck story is one in a million. You are miracle worker, indeed!

Okay, time to move plants out into the sun - good growing to ya, bro!

Yep it was a good feeling to save his life & i was rewarded with Fernando (our big male Goose) taking a stab at me in his pen while i was serving up his dinner (had my back turned to him) by crikey did it hurt.

goosebite.jpg

That has now subsided & all the inside of my calf is now black & blue bruised.

I took this shot a few weeks ago with some of the Ducks & Chickens, this is about half of the flock.

chooks1.jpg

Them plants are in the tent till spring Paul, its warmer & safer for them in there.

Whilst typing this reply i went & let the Ducks & Chickens out & found another chic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_F_2zRHG1w&feature=youtu.be

Mezo.

Cool! You gather up all the poop from the hen houses? Its great in the garden :)

Has to be broken down first (composted)we have cow poo as well (lots & lots) which ive tilled in to my veggie patch.

Had another baby duckie born just an hour after my last post (so two this morning) this one i broke out its shell but it was half dead. Its still alive (barley) on a water bottle, the other little fella i found this morning is doing real well, already Lucky & this new one have bonded & are stuck together like magnets.

So anyhow Chilli, well i decided to have a play with these sacks (we get chook feed in them) and are made of woven plastic, real strong & breath very well. So i bunged in two plants.

firecracker5.jpg

There`s about 25 firecrackers in one pot there & now in to a sack.

firecracker9.jpg

firecracker6.jpg

I say firecrackers but i actually dont know what these two plants are, take a look at the pods.

firecracker7.jpg

The ones above point skywards & the ones below hang down like my,,,

firecracker8.jpg

More soon.

Mezo.

Back