• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Mezo`s "super hots" Glog including the 'big' solar dehydrator.

The is thread with the humungous solar dehydrator. :D

solardehydrator3.jpg

G-Day, im Mez or Mezo & im new to this part of Australia having come from Perth (Western Australia) where growing chili peppers is so easy (except the heat).

I live in the border ranges in northern New South Wales (bordering Queensland) and its a mixed bag of temperate & tropical conditions, the summers are very hot, wet & humid, the winters are dry & sunny.

Average daily temps.

averagedailytemp.gif

And average monthly rainfall.

averagemonthlyrain.gif

Aussies reading this will already know this, but people in other country's probably paint a picture of Australia as a hot dry/dusty land but this is far from the truth, up north its full blown tropics with a wet season & 100% humidity (yuck). Down south its freezing cold & snow during winter, out west its a dry heat like in the Mediterranean & in the middle of Australia is desert country.

So im now growing for the first time "Super hots" and for a very important reason, whilst working away in Perth i had a double heart attack wich has left me permanently disabled, sadly they are unable to operate on me (bypass/stent) as its to far gone, so having worked all my life (Electrician) im now at the age of 45 claiming a disability pension & i hate not being able to work.

Now i take shovel fulls of dam tablets to keep my heart pumping & id rather not be taking any but right now there no option i have to take them or ill drop dead on the spot. After much reading i found out that cayenne powder has all sort of benefits to your health & well being, especially to your cardio vascular system. I had read that cayenne powder can stop a heart attack in its track & i put this to the test (twice) and yes it does work where the medication (Nitrolingual) had no effect.

So anyone reading this who spots a friend having a heart attack just flick some chili powder in a glass of water as fast as you can & get them to drink in right down, fast. It works within 30 seconds of drinking it & it saved me from two more attacks already.

So there's my life story in a nutshell & some sound advice on how to save a heart attack victims life.
And this ladies & gentlymen is why im growing "Super Hots" to make high heat cayenne powder for cooking to improve my circulation/remove fats & as a "just in case of emergency"

OK on with the first of my "Hots" the Bhut Jolokia, the reason i chose this was simple i just Googled "whats the hottest chili" and up popped the result, however further reading on the interweb i found threads from this forum & names like the Butch T, the Douglah & Brain Strain.

So ive ordered them from pepperlover.com after so many people gave such great reviews, Bhut in the meantime lets look at my Jolokia`s.

Bhut2.jpg

Bhut6.jpg

Must admit i just love the shape & color of these babies.
icon_mrgreen.gif

More soon,

Mezo.

Well its still raining, has been for weeks now (monsoon season) or "The Wet" as the Aussies call it, yep its wet, very very wet.

So my first 'mini harvest' was lost to mould, just no sunshine & to much humidity, the dryer works if there is sunshine & we have not seen the sun in weeks, so the last lot i put in the dryer (the mystery mix) may also succumb to mould unless the sun appears very soon.

So i thought id take some to my doctor (Indian guy) he said he liked hot food & six months back id given him some of last years Bhut Joloky powder i had made, this week i walked in with a big bag of chilli`s (a mix of superhots) and plonked it on his desk.

In the meantime i thought id label my plants better with the plastic knife trick, thinking the bag would do all my plants i soon ran out, ive got whey more plants than id imagined (don't know how many never counted them) but these are from memory & im sure i can double or even treble this lot, so loosing a few is not a drama there are plenty more coming.

labels_zpsb6d10464.jpg

So ill grab a couple more bags of knives when im next in town, much easier to see what plant your looking at with these, as for the chilli`s well ive got the same amount to crop again right now but im holding off until i can see a break in the weather, but there's another week of rain forecast & beyond that nobody knows.

Mezo.

Damn Mezo, are you sure you don't live in Seattle?? Sucks to lose pods to mold, especially because they look good from the outside. Maybe you can mount a heater under the ginormous dryer for when there's no sun? Maybe twist through some Christmas rope lighting?? So you should start paying for your doctors visits with chili's....they're worth more than gold you know...

Damn Mezo, are you sure you don't live in Seattle?? Sucks to lose pods to mold, especially because they look good from the outside. Maybe you can mount a heater under the ginormous dryer for when there's no sun? Maybe twist through some Christmas rope lighting?? So you should start paying for your doctors visits with chili's....they're worth more than gold you know...

Medical is free of charge Dave outside of the USA, have you not watched Sicko by Michael Moore? its an eye opener.

Yep even though its raining its still hot & very humid, its summer & im sitting typing with just a pair of shorts on at 6pm yet its pissing down with rain (tropical stuff) mosquitoes etc etc.

My big harvests are months away yet, as we go towards winter we start getting more sunshine & dry days, perfect conditions for the drying machine.

Mezo.

Rained all night and still raining here mez ... I assume its the same at your whare (house) ??

It rained real heavy last night, all night long with no letting up, the river has risen 3 meters in just 12 hours.

Im over the rain mate, need sunshine & plenty of it right now, plants have had whey more water than what they need.

Mezo.

When it stops raining ill go & put them labels in, according to the local farmers it should ease up mid April !! :confused:

Its pouring down, my dryer doesn't work if there is no sunshine so ill harvest anything ready tomorrow & Danny can take them back to his house in Brisbane & bung them in the chest freezer.

Mezo.

Yeah we are almost flooded in and we are in suburbia ... just too much surface water and a few low lying culverts are not taking the water ...hang in there mez we should be a bit better next week .... I hope

Well the locals here (old school farmers) get access to the long range 40 day ahead forecasts & its going to ease slightly in a week or so but were in for wet weather until mid April they reckon.

We cant even slash the grass as the paddocks are so saturated the tires just wreck it, and then when it does eventually stop raining its going to be like a sauna as it dry`s out.

Well the monsoon`s were very late this year & now its making up for it big time, its certainly not chilli growing weather. :rolleyes:

Mezo.

Far out mez all this rain is crazy, I'm supposed to be going for a moutain bike ride with mates this Mornin which explains posting at 5am bug yea there is no way in hell I'm going anywhere. Only one positive though and I'm sure gas has noticed it aswell the slightly colder weather has made the fruitily disappear and I finally got a small harvest 30 odd pods :)

When it stops raining ill go & put them labels in, according to the local farmers it should ease up mid April !! :confused:

Its pouring down, my dryer doesn't work if there is no sunshine so ill harvest anything ready tomorrow & Danny can take them back to his house in Brisbane & bung them in the chest freezer.

Mezo.
"mid April"!!! :eek: Well you did have an excellent harvest despite everything you've had thrown at you so cheers. :beer:

I had no problems with any bugs so far (except aphids which im on top off) but certainly no fruit fly, not one? possibly the mountain range stops them coming over the border?

Anyhow ive just cropped some more for Danny to take back to Vegas & freeze, i filled a giant snaplock bag (906g or 2lb) and if i include what i gave to the doc this week im well over a kilo of pods this week. :party:

secondharvest2_zps5a06cadd.jpg

secondharvest1_zps0d0f1220.jpg

Mezo.

"mid April"!!! :eek: Well you did have an excellent harvest despite everything you've had thrown at you so cheers. :beer:

Thanks DC, ive only just started my harvests, i think ill be pulling a kilo a week now till may at least. :party:

I will do another vid (when it stops raining for an hour) the plants are loaded with pods, hundreds.

Mezo.

Thanks DC, ive only just started my harvests, i think ill be pulling a kilo a week now till may at least. :party:

I will do another vid (when it stops raining for an hour) the plants are loaded with pods, hundreds.

Mezo.
Very healthy-looking pods indeed. Can't wait to see more of the Brain strains Mezo. I've read that weather extremes make peppers hotter as well. Maybe someone else here can attest to that.

Well over a week has passed since my last update, it rained all week & the weekend but finally its stopped & a few days of sunshine forecast.

Had to go to Hospital and found to have a moderate case of Diverticulitis very painful, so im on antibiotics & painkillers, no eating 48hrs, then soup (not creamy) and slowly build up the food towards Friday.

I decided to dry another harvest rather than freeze seems we have some warmer weather forecast so possibly Wednesday morning? i checked the first harvest &* they have not gone mouldy & are drying nice. i just kept the intake vent shut 24-7 to maintain a warm/dry environment but without air circulating through containing 80% humidity, and its worked.

Anyhow a vid from this afternoon.

Mezo.

Back