• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

soil MG Potting Soil...

My experience with MG soil is limited to just their potting mix and Moisture control potting mix. They both contain slow release fertilizers which can cause you problems with your plants, especially seedlings. Too much fertilizer can cause plants to become stunted in their growth. They both have a tendency to compact down and retain extra moisture, the moisture control even more so. The mix is also not as light and airy as some of the better mixes, which slows down root development and root health. It does work, and you can get a decent harvest from your pepper plants, but just know that your plants would be a little bit nicer if you use a better mix.

For seed starting the regular MG potting mix will work. Even with the "chunks" the seeds will sprout, but you may loose a couple because of the additional fertilizers.

Novacastrian said:
Oh yeah just thought i would give you a tip that i heard the other day, apparantly (i haven't tried it yet) if you put seeds that you wish to plant in your mouth and swish around for a minute or two it helps them germ. Got something to do with the saliva i am led to believe.

Wow...you almost had me. I was going to try that with some of my Scorpion seeds. I was thinking possibly the acid in the saliva helped soften or dissolve some the the seed covering making it easier for the seed to germ. I was kinda thinking about how birds eat seeds and fly around pooping them out and they germinate where they land...figured maybe the same concept but without the poop.

Last year during my first serious attempt at growing hot peppers I actually started 8 plants from seed out in the yard.
When they got to about 6" tall i removed them and planted them in 1 gallon pots with MG potting mix with 3 month nutes.
Then after they grew to about 2 feet they were potted up to thier final pots using the same mix.
I've also started seeds both in MG potting mix and pro-mix bx with very similar results. But I do prefer pro-mix for planting seeds due to its more fluffy consistency.
I still continue to use the MG potting mix this year in my final 7 gallon pots with the improved 6 month feeding version.
I've never had a problem with it so far but to each their own.

Here are a few pics from ladt year (also fertilized every two weeks with MG)

IMG_1336.jpg

IMG_1362.jpg

Novacastrian said:
Oh yeah just thought i would give you a tip that i heard the other day, apparantly (i haven't tried it yet) if you put seeds that you wish to plant in your mouth and swish around for a minute or two it helps them germ. Got something to do with the saliva i am led to believe.

hehe something oddly familiar about that advice, I think know someone who did that, I hear it works really well also it will expand ones vocabulary with new choice words lol :D

MG is fine soil, its a bit expensive compared to mixing your own but as long as you lay off the ferts for the first couple months then you will be fine.

I think most of the bad rap for MG products come from organic gardeners that just dislike the company as a whole.
Kinda like how Apple users feel about Microsoft products lol.

I myself use both organic and synthetic products.

Actually I think most people who don't like MG soil prefer to have more control over the nutrients especially with younger plants that really don't need it

FadeToBlack said:
I think most of the bad rap for MG products come from organic gardeners that just dislike the company as a whole.
Kinda like how Apple users feel about Microsoft products lol.

I myself use both organic and synthetic products.
same here,and have had good resultes.

MG moisture control soil flat out turns to concrete with heavy watering or rain, it is the absolute worst. I've used it for years before figuring out about the better or DIY mixes, and have had mixed results. It will work, but IMO you'll get much better results with a mixture of your own, or at least adding your own 'ingredients' helps a lot. Perlite, vermiculite, or plain old manure def helps to air out the extremely compacted soil. Sand compacts way too much and makes the pots extremely heavy. If you have a choice, I'd definitely stay away from MG Organic and moisture control and stick with their normal potting mix.

Yeah, my fault I was referring to MG moisture control, not their regular potting mix:oops:

MG Potting Soil: A
MG Moisture Control: F
MG Organic Mix: Requires new letter... J?

Back