• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

MGOLD86's GLOG, of sorts. NEW Billy Boy Douglah Review!

baeb2f3f.jpg

With that being said,
welcome.gif
to my grow log.

As a disclaimer, if you came here to learn how to grow peppers the right way, you might as well leave. Also, if you get easily offended, send all hatemail to Romy6. Thx. If you are looking for a pro log …… click http://www.thehotpep...al-discussion/. If you want meticulous notes, and updates like clockwork, click http://www.thehotpep...hot-grow-2012/.

For those of you who are still here, I’m Matt, and you can call me that. That or homie, bro, chief, man, buddy, or Javier. This is season number 2 and last year was a disaster. Somewhere between scouring the web to find out why all my plants couldn’t break the 2 foot mark I ran across this forum, and bam, hooked. I started gathering seeds in June and got them in dirt (or coffee filters) today.

Here is my list:

Scorps:
ButchT- Pepper lover/Chad S 3
Red TScorp-AJ 3
Yellow TScorp-Brian 3
TScorp Marouga-Pepper Lover 3

Indian:
Red Bhut-Pepper Lover 3
Assam Bhut Indian Carbon- Pepper Lover 3
Giant Red Bhut-PGM 3
Choc Bhut-PGM 3
Peach Bhut-Aji Joe 3
Naga Morich- Brian 3

7's:
Yellow 7: THSC 3
White 7: Pepper Lover 3
Jonah: Pepper Lover 3
Primo: Pepper Lover 3
Barrakpore: Pepper Lover 3
Douglah: THSC 3
Brain Strain: CMPMAN 3
Yellow Brain Strain: Pepper Lover 3
Infinity: Wouter 3

Habs:
Red Savina-Pepper Lover 3
Red Hab- Pepper Lover 3
Orange Hab- Pepper Lover 3

Crosses:
Naga x 7 Pot-Chad 3
Peach Habalokia-Aji Joe 3
Red Scorpanero #2-Aji Joe 3
Yellow Habalokia-Aji Joe 3

Others:
Fatalii-Pepper Lover 3
Trinidad Perfume-Pepper Lover 3
Tabago Seasoning-Pepper Lover 3
Aji Yellow-Aji Joe 3
Inca Red Drop-Kevin 3
Maui Purple- Kevin 3

Medium:

Biker Billy Jal- Burpee 0
Cayenne- Burpee 0

Mild/Sweet:

Joe E. Parker- HM 0
Red Bell Orion F1- HM 0
Yellow Bell Catriona- HM 0

For background on my set up with plenty of pics and commentary click http://www.thehotpep...-now-with-pics/ basically, I have a 5x5x7 growtent with a 600w MH.
8cb5f8e2.jpg

I am planting via 2 methods, coffee filter and direct sow. I want to eventually plant out 1 of each variety so I sowed 3 seeds. I soaked my seeds last night in water and planted 1 in a tray of Hoffman’s Seed Starter (thanks Ronnie),
fe6e7491.jpg

and the other two I stuck in coffee filters and plastic bags. So EVERYONE is aware, this method is not a quick one. Consider yourself warned.
b28bda4d.jpg

When I finished planting/bagging everything, I stuck it in my tent which maintains about 81-84 and we shall keep our fingers crossed.

d3223e2c.jpg

parting shot
7464807f.jpg

Now it is time to PWN some 12 year olds in MW3. Peace!

Figured I would post here to steal the top of page 15 from Paul! Cool you're gonna hook someone up with some new babies! Wish I could like that post more than once!
Shane

Damn you Shane! I knew I shouldn't have gone to that
birthday party yesterday afternoon :D

Hey Matt, really outstanding grow going. I miss a few days of
your log and have three pages to catch up on! Don't you have
duty or something? Great looking weather thereabouts. Some
of it is drifting this way, but not enough yet. Congrats on biting
the double digging bullet. You and Andy win the prize for D[sup]2[/sup] gardening!
It does give the best result compared to roto tilling, IMHO.

Nice mail order score, BTW, guess you still have a few square feet of
space in your garden to accommodate them!

Keep the faith, buddy. Your new name is 'Dozhen' of Double Dig (I couldn't
think of a good 'D' word, so made that one up).

Is this a offer for plants? If so I'm interested. lol jk

That is exactly what it is....I want to send some plants to someone who wasn't able to get any started. So, do you fit the bill??

Figured I would post here to steal the top of page 15 from Paul! Cool you're gonna hook someone up with some new babies! Wish I could like that post more than once!
Shane

Thanks! :lol: Yea, now that I have my beds dug, and irrigation almost finished (ordered 100' and needed 120'....damn I hate math!) I plan on keeping a few in containers, but will still have a handfull to spare. I have a flat of 32 that I only plan on keeping about a 12-20. So that means I am gonna give some away to friends locally, and I wanna find someone who may be new to growing and missed the boat on starting seeds. They are in decent shape, and now that I have the box from CCN, it will up the chances of them surviving the journey.

Damn you Shane! I knew I shouldn't have gone to that
birthday party yesterday afternoon :D

Hey Matt, really outstanding grow going. I miss a few days of
your log and have three pages to catch up on! Don't you have
duty or something? Great looking weather thereabouts. Some
of it is drifting this way, but not enough yet. Congrats on biting
the double digging bullet. You and Andy win the prize for D[sup]2[/sup] gardening!
It does give the best result compared to roto tilling, IMHO.

Nice mail order score, BTW, guess you still have a few square feet of
space in your garden to accommodate them!

Keep the faith, buddy. Your new name is 'Dozhen' of Double Dig (I couldn't
think of a good 'D' word, so made that one up).

Dozhen! Love it! :lol:

I actually have duty next Sunday, at least it isn't Saturday. That is the worst day of the week to have duty because you can't sleep in at all on the weekend...Things are really taking off as far as being busy. I am trying to get everything finished so next Saturday I can put all 60 or so in the ground. Like I said, I have duty on Sunday, so I have to get it done before that. Actually, now that I think about it, it may be a better idea to put them in the ground on Friday Evening after work, that way they won't be shocked from the midday sun. Maybe I will do a bit of the containers on Saturday. Right now I am trying to figure out what I am gonna use for my potting mix. I have about 3.5 or 4 cu ft of PROMIX BX, and I think that I am gonna use it, but just as a base. I am thinking about adding compost and trying to find pinebark fines for drainage. Also, I will probably add in some granular ferts because PROMIX is pretty void of any food. I like it, but it just stays way to wet if you don't add anything to it. This will end up being more of an experiment than anything. Maybe I will go 50% Promix, 30-40% Compost and the rest pinebark fines. That is if I can find the pinebark. I can get like Black Kow compost at Lowe's, or just the regular old timberline compost, also I am gonna try the local nursery to see what they got. I am open to recommendations.

I will be posting a "How to Install Drip Tape" video in a few hours. Right now my internet is sketchy and TW is coming to fix it. Have you ever tried uploading a 15 minute video with .8 mps Upload speeds??? I would rather watch paint dry.

But here is a pic or 2.
149aa6e0.jpg

After installing and testing.
7329d08f.jpg

Lastly, I installed some chicken fencing to keep the pests dogs out...
5f2c5a49.jpg

I think it looks more organized with it.

FWIW, masschilehead posted that he lost all his seedlings the other day and had to start over. He sent me some yellow 7 seeds for free last fall that I'm growing out, which I appreciated. So, not sure if you want to pm him or not - but I thought I'd throw it out there. Cool thing you're doing.

Also, can't wait for the instructional video on the drip line. I'm curious about what that entails, the benefits, etc. I've always just used a sprinkler, but now that the garden is larger I'm thinking about watering a bit differently.

Thanks for the heads up about MCH Andy. That totally sucks. Do you know what happened?

Anyways, here is the Drip Tape video. It is one of those things (another one) that when you are done you just sit back and smile. It is so cool to see the work you put into your plot take shape. I used emitter tubes last season, and have about 20 feet left. I plan on using it on about a dozen containers and once I got the drip tape installed and checked, I "saw the light". This is definitely the way to go!
I cant wait to put these puppies in the ground, they need it bad. They aren't loving the small pots and I feel as if I have not stopped watering in 2 weeks.... I have said Friday night is gonna be my day, but if the weather continues the way I am hoping it does, I am gonna have a tough time waiting. I have 4 yds of "topsoil blend" soil coming in tomorrow. It is ground topsoil, hardwood mulches, pine fines, and turkey compost. I am gonna put a yard on each bed and work it about 2 or 3 inches into the existing soil. It is pretty amazing how fluffy it already is, when this stuff goes down there is no stopping those roots! I also have a bag of 12-0-0 bloodmeal because my soil report said I was most lacking of N, but I think I may go pickup a good Tomato-Tone all around granular fert, and use that in the transplant hole, then spread the N around the whole area.

Sounds like a plan dude! It is going to be 87 up here tomorrow, and I am loving it, but the temps are going to be dropping back down to around mid 60s with a low of low 40s for a little bit longer, so in a few more weeks, which is fine since I need to do the rows and get a bunch of manure in there.. along with the irrigation.

Which brings me to the question about why you didn't want to go with the emitter tubing irrigation this year? At first I didn't know what T-tape tubes were then looked them up sometime last week and saw they are not what I was planning on getting, which was the emitter hoses. So why the change? (edit, just saw that there is a spacing for the hoses of like 9" or something like that.. so maybe that is why, not sure if that is the same stuff that I am looking at, but I can't think it is very different, maybe the ones I can get might have a 5" spacing for the emitters or something like that.. I dono, maybe it is different than the drip hoses I am thinking of) did the hoses work Ok? because I might not be able to get that for as cheap as the emitter tubing which I can get through a friends dad, need to give him a call tomorrow, but just curious as to why you switched over. Sorry if you covered it in your video, haven't looked at it yet, heading to bed, pretty tired, was up late last night.. or this morning rather, at a friends birthday party.. although I'm not one to complain about sleep since your the one with the newborn lol

And get them in the ground ASAP haha, a few days can't hurt, and that way I can be content looking at pics of yours in the ground until I can get mine in in 3 more weeks

Great instructional video and professionally done. It looks as if the dripworks people made it. maybe contact them and see if they give you freebies for promoting their product. ;) Great job.

Max- I decided to go with the drip line for 2 and a half reasons. First, the emitter tube from dripworks is not supposed to be used in applications longer than 15 feet. In my case I right at that 15 foot mark and I didn't wanna loose any pressure becaue I have 8 tubes all maxed out length wise. Second, the emitter tubes were drilled either 4" OC or 6" OC, and the drip tape I got was 8" OC (even though it really covers about a 6-10" swath). I am planting every 24" and this would equate to less wasted water with the holes every 8". And the half is the fact that the drip tape is made for row crops and the emitter tubing is for beds. Like I said in the video, I decided to go with dripworks because I liked the results I got last year with the emitter tubing. It is definitely a great product and I am using it again for all my containers (which from tonight's planning looks like there may be Waaaaayyy more than I initially planned on having....). Also, just so we are clear, I am talking about the tubing from dripworks that comes Pre-drilled at 4 or 6" intervals, not the one that is straight tubing where you manually insert emitters into the tube. I haven't tried that, but I know there are some here that use it with great success. Check out PepperJam's GLog for the insert able emitters.

PJ- thanks man, if only it were that easy. Lol! It would be awesome to get a few freebees, but I think it is important to give a unbiased review for everyone here. If one thing is for certain, we are gonna test the hell out of it.

Dear Matt,
I heard it's your Birthday today. I also noticed your one reply short of being tied up with me.

So for you, on your birthday, I PERSONALLY am tying us up.
That's just the kinda friend I am. Just promise me not to get all emotional about it.. or thank me..

I have to reply to some comments on my glog..
So this might be short lived.. So I'll make sure to take a picture of the tie game.
:lol:

btw...
Nice drip lines :cool:

Max- I decided to go with the drip line for 2 and a half reasons. First, the emitter tube from dripworks is not supposed to be used in applications longer than 15 feet. In my case I right at that 15 foot mark and I didn't wanna loose any pressure becaue I have 8 tubes all maxed out length wise. Second, the emitter tubes were drilled either 4" OC or 6" OC, and the drip tape I got was 8" OC (even though it really covers about a 6-10" swath). I am planting every 24" and this would equate to less wasted water with the holes every 8". And the half is the fact that the drip tape is made for row crops and the emitter tubing is for beds. Like I said in the video, I decided to go with dripworks because I liked the results I got last year with the emitter tubing. It is definitely a great product and I am using it again for all my containers (which from tonight's planning looks like there may be Waaaaayyy more than I initially planned on having....). Also, just so we are clear, I am talking about the tubing from dripworks that comes Pre-drilled at 4 or 6" intervals, not the one that is straight tubing where you manually insert emitters into the tube. I haven't tried that, but I know there are some here that use it with great success. Check out PepperJam's GLog for the insert able emitters.

oh I gotcha, that is good to know about the 15' limit! that would definitely not work for me at all. well I guess I will have to see if my friends dad has the T-tape, if not then I'll just have to order some myself. and yeah I forgot about the fact that I will be planting them at 2-3' apart, so having anything at 4-6" wouldn't really make sense (had it in my head that I needed a bunch of small holes so it soaked all the soil.. I don't know why) but I really have to get my butt in gear then. Thanks for the input!

and Happy Birthday if it is today I guess, it's great weather up here, I would think it is pretty good down there as well today.

Dear Matt,
I heard it's your Birthday today. I also noticed your one reply short of being tied up with me.

So for you, on your birthday, I PERSONALLY am tying us up.
That's just the kinda friend I am. Just promise me not to get all emotional about it.. or thank me..

I have to reply to some comments on my glog..
So this might be short lived.. So I'll make sure to take a picture of the tie game.
:lol:

btw...
Nice drip lines :cool:

lol! Thanks for looking out B!

I'll put you one up on your birthday! Have a good one brother!

:lol: Always appreciated!

oh I gotcha, that is good to know about the 15' limit! that would definitely not work for me at all. well I guess I will have to see if my friends dad has the T-tape, if not then I'll just have to order some myself. and yeah I forgot about the fact that I will be planting them at 2-3' apart, so having anything at 4-6" wouldn't really make sense (had it in my head that I needed a bunch of small holes so it soaked all the soil.. I don't know why) but I really have to get my butt in gear then. Thanks for the input!

and Happy Birthday if it is today I guess, it's great weather up here, I would think it is pretty good down there as well today.

Thanks Max! Also, keep us posted on your decision.

I also wanna thank Jamie, because he didn't even know it but his care pkg was just in time!
8d8b04d0.jpg

I got 10 reservists that just activated to deploy with me and they "claim" they can handle the heat....

Sorry, but the pic wont flip. It is Red and Yellow 7s, a TS Cardi Yellow, a few brains and a 7 BP. Also there is a Datil and a few mystery ones.....gonna be a BLAST!

Sorry, but the pic wont flip. It is Red and Yellow 7s, a TS Cardi Yellow, a few brains and a 7 BP. Also there is a Datil and a few mystery ones.....gonna be a BLAST!
very nice!, I figured some of them looked more nasty/mean, but wasn't sure.

and also I watched the video of the drip tape, good call on burying the mainline, I use to hate doing that (since most of the spanish dudes that I had worked with that summer didn't want to let me do anything that was easy, I basically just dug trenches and holes, then went back and re-filled them all lol) when I was installing irrigation for a summer.. didn't last long.. but ANYWAYS! I didn't see/hear it mentioned, what flow of T-tape is that, high/low and how many GPH, and also you said it was suppose to be the 8" spacing, but what MIL was it also.. pretty sure that might be the way I am going, looks really nice and at 30-35' rows, and 14 rows.. the drip hose probably won't work.. was looking at some of the high flow tape, and it says that it can have like 500-700' row length depending on the flow, which is something I might need to check out now that I think about it, since they probably mean total row length.. but I was just curious

Nice job, dude, your plants are looking like champs. You got about 3 or 4 years of experience this year trying everything!

I just did a 2-wk MGold Glog catch-up. Whew! That double-digging had ME breaking a sweat. I scrapped my roto-tiller about 5 years ago and do the deep dig like that in beds now. It gets easier to turn every year and Worms dig it!

It's old news now, but I ran a small sample test comparing the Hoffman's starter mix vs Pro Mix for my last batch of starts. These were all more vigorous growing C. Annuums and there was no noticable difference. FWIW, I used Pro Mix to start my 'maters, broccoli, onions and eggplant--no problemo.

I'd have to disagree with you on bottom watering and the ability of Pro Mix to drain and dry well, especially in smaller containers. But I can't, because it's your birthday and you are king!

P.S. your Ramen entry woulda rocked

Your plots are looking good!

One suggestion would be , since this is the 1st yr of planting edibles in that area I would do a soil sample test. Since that was the lawn area, what have you treated your lawn with in the past?
Beyond that point, I would spend the money on soil additives Bone/blood meals, worm castings, compost , perlite or torpedo sand if your soil holds water. Use whatever you buy mixed in with existing soil and around the planting holes only. No need to do the whole garden area ($$$).
At the end of the season I like to add garden lime and addition compost to my beds.
In the beginning of next season you can till the soil, each year that you add the compost and the other amendments you will be building the foundation for future plantings.........it doesn't happen all the 1st season.
One other suggestion is to "hill" your plantings and space with rows or paths "Waywright, Winchicken, the Guru" amongst others do it that way. If I had your yard layout I would definetly do so, That procedure helps dearly with drain off with heavy rains and if your not using mulch ,it helps out with the weeding (makes it easier to yank out the weeds from either side of the rows) ....... When I've done that in the past I've used "untreated" "after going to seed" grass clippings on the walk ways......that helps keep the weeds down, looks neat, breaks down over time , adds to the soil amending and gets tilled back into the ground in the spring.
Well no more suggestions............since its the "evil hour".....time to get ready for work............... :cry:

Greg

Back