• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

MGOLD86's GLOG, of sorts. NEW Billy Boy Douglah Review!

baeb2f3f.jpg

With that being said,
welcome.gif
to my grow log.

As a disclaimer, if you came here to learn how to grow peppers the right way, you might as well leave. Also, if you get easily offended, send all hatemail to Romy6. Thx. If you are looking for a pro log …… click http://www.thehotpep...al-discussion/. If you want meticulous notes, and updates like clockwork, click http://www.thehotpep...hot-grow-2012/.

For those of you who are still here, I’m Matt, and you can call me that. That or homie, bro, chief, man, buddy, or Javier. This is season number 2 and last year was a disaster. Somewhere between scouring the web to find out why all my plants couldn’t break the 2 foot mark I ran across this forum, and bam, hooked. I started gathering seeds in June and got them in dirt (or coffee filters) today.

Here is my list:

Scorps:
ButchT- Pepper lover/Chad S 3
Red TScorp-AJ 3
Yellow TScorp-Brian 3
TScorp Marouga-Pepper Lover 3

Indian:
Red Bhut-Pepper Lover 3
Assam Bhut Indian Carbon- Pepper Lover 3
Giant Red Bhut-PGM 3
Choc Bhut-PGM 3
Peach Bhut-Aji Joe 3
Naga Morich- Brian 3

7's:
Yellow 7: THSC 3
White 7: Pepper Lover 3
Jonah: Pepper Lover 3
Primo: Pepper Lover 3
Barrakpore: Pepper Lover 3
Douglah: THSC 3
Brain Strain: CMPMAN 3
Yellow Brain Strain: Pepper Lover 3
Infinity: Wouter 3

Habs:
Red Savina-Pepper Lover 3
Red Hab- Pepper Lover 3
Orange Hab- Pepper Lover 3

Crosses:
Naga x 7 Pot-Chad 3
Peach Habalokia-Aji Joe 3
Red Scorpanero #2-Aji Joe 3
Yellow Habalokia-Aji Joe 3

Others:
Fatalii-Pepper Lover 3
Trinidad Perfume-Pepper Lover 3
Tabago Seasoning-Pepper Lover 3
Aji Yellow-Aji Joe 3
Inca Red Drop-Kevin 3
Maui Purple- Kevin 3

Medium:

Biker Billy Jal- Burpee 0
Cayenne- Burpee 0

Mild/Sweet:

Joe E. Parker- HM 0
Red Bell Orion F1- HM 0
Yellow Bell Catriona- HM 0

For background on my set up with plenty of pics and commentary click http://www.thehotpep...-now-with-pics/ basically, I have a 5x5x7 growtent with a 600w MH.
8cb5f8e2.jpg

I am planting via 2 methods, coffee filter and direct sow. I want to eventually plant out 1 of each variety so I sowed 3 seeds. I soaked my seeds last night in water and planted 1 in a tray of Hoffman’s Seed Starter (thanks Ronnie),
fe6e7491.jpg

and the other two I stuck in coffee filters and plastic bags. So EVERYONE is aware, this method is not a quick one. Consider yourself warned.
b28bda4d.jpg

When I finished planting/bagging everything, I stuck it in my tent which maintains about 81-84 and we shall keep our fingers crossed.

d3223e2c.jpg

parting shot
7464807f.jpg

Now it is time to PWN some 12 year olds in MW3. Peace!

Matt you have a great setup my plants went through the same thing last month when we had heavy rain, hail, and wind now they have recovered and exploding which will be the same result for yours. I was waiting for you to update it because I saw your video this morning and didn't want to comment early like last time. Great video update as usual. If your going to Lowes to get more mix rather than get the MIracle grow you could get their peatmoss bale, cow manure, perlite Millworkman uses this mix. I got three bales of peat moss, 2 bags of cow manure, and 2 bags of chicken manure for 40 bucks from Lowes and 1 2 cu ft bag of vermiculite for 16 bucks HD.

Matt you have a great setup my plants went through the same thing last month when we had heavy rain, hail, and wind now they have recovered and exploding which will be the same result for yours. I was waiting for you to update it because I saw your video this morning and didn't want to comment early like last time. Great video update as usual. If your going to Lowes to get more mix rather than get the MIracle grow you could get their peatmoss bale, cow manure, perlite Millworkman uses this mix. I got three bales of peat moss, 2 bags of cow manure, and 2 bags of chicken manure for 40 bucks from Lowes and 1 2 cu ft bag of vermiculite for 16 bucks HD.

No worries, LOL. You are more than welcome to post any time, spoiler or not! I will look into that soil whenever I can get over to Lowes. The main reason I said MG, was because it was cheap and one stop. I will check out MWM's GLog and shoot him a PM if I have any questions. Thanks for the recommendation!

Matt, I have a bunch of extra plants too. They are going to a local flea market with Justaguys extras. Hopefully I can recover a little of the grow cost. Also, people will get some plants they can't get in nurseries. Just a thought. Also you could freecycle them and possibly create some new chiliheads!

Everything is looking good. I was thinking about your plants when we had that cold snap last week. Glad all the babies pulled through.

Thanks Seth, I will check out the local FM, maybe I can find a few people wanting to try something new. Crazy, but new.

As far as weather goes, it is boomin right now! We are gettin nice 75-80 during the day and high 60s low 70s overnight. It would be AWESOME if it would stay this way, too bad in another few months I will be cursing the sun!

I always catch some extra enthusiasm when I catch up on your glog Matt+1!
Mulch those large smarties-they are gonna be fast dryers.My dumb ass has 1 more start planned...what the helll is wrong with me?
My formula for mixing soil is..."yeah, that looks about right...", yours screwed me up with all that formula stuff(rolling heads laughing)

Move to Florida Bro. It has been like that for 6 months ;)

I plan to, get off my nutts! I have a war to fight first, it aint gonna win itself!

I always catch some extra enthusiasm when I catch up on your glog Matt+1!
Mulch those large smarties-they are gonna be fast dryers.My dumb ass has 1 more start planned...what the helll is wrong with me?
My formula for mixing soil is..."yeah, that looks about right...", yours screwed me up with all that formula stuff(rolling heads laughing)

I am thinking about mulching. Right now I don't think I really need to with the beds, but the pots dry super quick. You are definitely right on that one. I have to water every other day. I haven't watered the beds since it rained almost a week ago. The soil keeps a good amount of water, without being saturated. Sorry about all the math, I know it is tough for some....

So I guess it is about time for a mini-update. I decided to plant almost all of the leftovers today, however, I didn't have any soil to put them in. I took a cue from Milworkman and decided to mix a batch up. I used Peat Moss, Black Kow, Pearlite, Mushroom Compost and Tomato Tone. It ended up being really light and filled about 60-65 gallons.

e01b2157.jpg

And wala!
ccf4d996.jpg

I haven't had a chance to inventory everything in the garden. I hope to do that in the next few days, but all I know is that there is a TON OF STUFF! Lastly, here is my super top secret label method....

d62eb76c.jpg

Yeah...I'm out of soil and containers. I have room in the ground for maybe 3 or 4 more??? Let us know how that mix works for you! Love the labels, beats the hell out of my random sharpied plastic ware. Think mine are a little ahead of yours at this point, but in a month yours will pass mine up with temps like that! Only downfall of Cali weather is August is the only month with average low temps in the 60's. You got a real pro grow and glog my brother!

Keep the updates flowing!
Shane

Looks great, soil looks light and nice. The labels are genius!!! I hate bending down and moving leaves around to figure out what i planted, im gonna move to this labelling method now.

Yeah...I'm out of soil and containers. I have room in the ground for maybe 3 or 4 more??? Let us know how that mix works for you! Love the labels, beats the hell out of my random sharpied plastic ware. Think mine are a little ahead of yours at this point, but in a month yours will pass mine up with temps like that! Only downfall of Cali weather is August is the only month with average low temps in the 60's. You got a real pro grow and glog my brother!

Keep the updates flowing!
Shane

Thanks man. I managed to get everything in the pots and had only 2 left over, and they got hit hard with the sun and stuff. So, everything worth potting up got potted up. Today we got a ton of rain, which was much needed, hopefully it wasn't a bit too much. I haven't needed to water the plot since I planted, a few good rains and the plot retains a good amount of water without being too much. I have been using a cheapo moisture meter and was about a day or two away from watering and BAM we got rain, straight from God's hose!

Looks great, soil looks light and nice. The labels are genius!!! I hate bending down and moving leaves around to figure out what i planted, im gonna move to this labelling method now.

Thanks PJ, and stealing ideas is exactly what I do. Why reinvent the wheel???

So I may have spoke too soon....We are getting hit BAD with TStorms. I am counting on a few casualties....

Just pray it isn't too bad!

What up everyone?!? I got hit pretty hard with some rain, and the good news is it looks like everything made it through the downpour. I have some pots that are pretty water logged, and my soil is pretty good at keeping moist, without being wet, so the only real concern is everything in pots. We are supposed to get another afternoon of TStorms tomorrow, so I decided to pull everything underneath the front porch to allow for sun, but stay away from a downpour....hopefully...

But anyways, here are a few snaps I took today when I was out moving everything around. I think that the winds and the cold snap we had for that first week hit some of the smaller plants, and it may take a few extra weeks to get em jump started. But out of everything, this Choc Bhut is looking the best.

a4f57046.jpg

It has some crazy growth at the nodes, and I find myself going back every day looking at its progress
e41f2e11.jpg

Here is a Red Brain (Hopefully), may be a mixup, but looks like one, and it is spitting out the start of a flower.
67223b08.jpg

This Douglah got beat to hell and it is still spitting out crazy growth that looks great
95a21938.jpg

e787a7d4.jpg

I am not too impressed with CCN right now. All of the plants looked very good when they came in, however, all of them (even the bigger ones) weren't really ready to be put outside. I hardened my plants off, planted everything, and only the CCN are lookin REALLY crappy. Oh well, looks like they are gonna just gonna take a bit longer to take off.
e932bfde.jpg

Here is a ButchT that is puttin out great growth.
a4b9c0aa.jpg

Finally, here is the shot of all the babies tucked in on the front porch.
b9a3be58.jpg

Thanks for watchin!

Matt, we have been getting rain pretty much non-stop here since Sunday. It's driving me a little crazy so I feel your pain. I hope the mounds will help drain all this excess rain. Ugh, come on sun. Is that a ladybug on the Douglah? The Douglah seeds I got from Cmpman have been some of the heartiest ones so far. Did you get yours from him too?

I probably need to move the potted plants onto the porch too. Damn. Thunderstorms are supposed to be good for the plants. Something about releasing nitrogen in the air which gets delivered by the rain. So, when it rains hope for thunder!

Been looking into the whole Bonchi pepper thing today and getting really excited about overwinter possibilities. You should check it out. Could be fun with a few plants!

Don't look at the buds everyday or they'll never open! Lol...for some reason my plants soak up the rain no problem even when theve just been watered, but water them a couple days in a row and they turn yellow. Those CCN plants are double shocked I'm sur being shipped from up north and dropped into the heat of the south. They'll snap out of it! Looking real good brother. Checking ur glog from a barracks room on my phone!
Take care,
Shane

Thanks everyone for the great comments! We are still gettin a ton of rain and it doesn't look like it is gonna quit for a while...keep your fingers crossed that things keep growin! Anyways, I have got a good amount of growth despite the weather. I am actually quite surprised that they are doing so well.

Here are MORE than a few pics :lol:

bd87270e.jpg

Give me a break, it is tough to weed in the rain... :crazy:

c6e2d3a0.jpg

This ButchT has the second biggest leaves of the whole plot. I would say they are about 4-4.5 inches. It has a few holes in it, but I think it may be due to the weather and flying debris.

1ccd39b2.jpg

The TSMBs are a bit slower growing then the rest. It seems that in the past few days they really have taken off. I remember from last week wondering what the hell was the deal with them. But looks like they finally are gettin some good growth.

e7ede1cf.jpg

This Naga Morich has been beat to hell, but it is putting out a ton of flower starts. You don't need a ton of leaves for a ton of pods! :lol:

ba5c727d.jpg

The CCN plants came in good shape, but seem to all have been shocked with the plant out. I think that they weren't treated like children in the greenhouse, but it is ok, they will come back! I am pretty sure that they didn't have a fan running, and I bet that it would have made all the difference. In the future if you are going with CCN, I would keep em growing indoors for a few weeks, that or at least wait another week or two before planting.

33dec46e.jpg

My 7s are gangbusters! All of them look close to this except for one of my Primos. But it shows some signs of turning around.

69fc8abd.jpg

Little Guardian

71167af1.jpg

9c1846aa.jpg

The Biker Billys are all putting out a ton of flowers. I started to pick them, but it is no use...there is too many!

Here is a vid to tied you over until someone posts so I can add the rest of the photos!
http://youtu.be/HnoqXr5FPA0

Thanks man, why squish the grasshopper?

Now for some more pics!

b6796285.jpg

186f17a4.jpg

Red Cheiros looking good.

b0bfba20.jpg

a23e9fc9.jpg

The Maui Purple is pretty sick. I find myself always going back to give it a glance. I even have one on the front porch for "aesthetics". :rofl:

1d398d3f.jpg

At least I can keep the potted plants out of all the rain!

c683e62b.jpg

This Choc Bhut is probably my favorite plant. I just love the way it looks!

cbb7cf60.jpg

This Red Brain has been through hell and it seems like it has definitely turned around. It got water logged in the grow tent, so I had to repot it. It wasn't lookin too good, but all of a sudden it started putting out a ton of growth.

So that's all for this update. I appreciate you stoppin by!

Man your plants are starting to really take off matt. Those chocolate bhuts are tough and you know how hot they are. Just bite it to the one I sent ya :hot:

Man. I am completely jealous. I am embarrassed by my plants right now. They look a lot like Big Cedar's. Had to take off most of the leaves from all the rain leading to leafspot and spray them with an oily mix. I hope mine look like yours again soon!

Back