• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

MGOLD86's GLOG, of sorts. NEW Billy Boy Douglah Review!

baeb2f3f.jpg

With that being said,
welcome.gif
to my grow log.

As a disclaimer, if you came here to learn how to grow peppers the right way, you might as well leave. Also, if you get easily offended, send all hatemail to Romy6. Thx. If you are looking for a pro log …… click http://www.thehotpep...al-discussion/. If you want meticulous notes, and updates like clockwork, click http://www.thehotpep...hot-grow-2012/.

For those of you who are still here, I’m Matt, and you can call me that. That or homie, bro, chief, man, buddy, or Javier. This is season number 2 and last year was a disaster. Somewhere between scouring the web to find out why all my plants couldn’t break the 2 foot mark I ran across this forum, and bam, hooked. I started gathering seeds in June and got them in dirt (or coffee filters) today.

Here is my list:

Scorps:
ButchT- Pepper lover/Chad S 3
Red TScorp-AJ 3
Yellow TScorp-Brian 3
TScorp Marouga-Pepper Lover 3

Indian:
Red Bhut-Pepper Lover 3
Assam Bhut Indian Carbon- Pepper Lover 3
Giant Red Bhut-PGM 3
Choc Bhut-PGM 3
Peach Bhut-Aji Joe 3
Naga Morich- Brian 3

7's:
Yellow 7: THSC 3
White 7: Pepper Lover 3
Jonah: Pepper Lover 3
Primo: Pepper Lover 3
Barrakpore: Pepper Lover 3
Douglah: THSC 3
Brain Strain: CMPMAN 3
Yellow Brain Strain: Pepper Lover 3
Infinity: Wouter 3

Habs:
Red Savina-Pepper Lover 3
Red Hab- Pepper Lover 3
Orange Hab- Pepper Lover 3

Crosses:
Naga x 7 Pot-Chad 3
Peach Habalokia-Aji Joe 3
Red Scorpanero #2-Aji Joe 3
Yellow Habalokia-Aji Joe 3

Others:
Fatalii-Pepper Lover 3
Trinidad Perfume-Pepper Lover 3
Tabago Seasoning-Pepper Lover 3
Aji Yellow-Aji Joe 3
Inca Red Drop-Kevin 3
Maui Purple- Kevin 3

Medium:

Biker Billy Jal- Burpee 0
Cayenne- Burpee 0

Mild/Sweet:

Joe E. Parker- HM 0
Red Bell Orion F1- HM 0
Yellow Bell Catriona- HM 0

For background on my set up with plenty of pics and commentary click http://www.thehotpep...-now-with-pics/ basically, I have a 5x5x7 growtent with a 600w MH.
8cb5f8e2.jpg

I am planting via 2 methods, coffee filter and direct sow. I want to eventually plant out 1 of each variety so I sowed 3 seeds. I soaked my seeds last night in water and planted 1 in a tray of Hoffman’s Seed Starter (thanks Ronnie),
fe6e7491.jpg

and the other two I stuck in coffee filters and plastic bags. So EVERYONE is aware, this method is not a quick one. Consider yourself warned.
b28bda4d.jpg

When I finished planting/bagging everything, I stuck it in my tent which maintains about 81-84 and we shall keep our fingers crossed.

d3223e2c.jpg

parting shot
7464807f.jpg

Now it is time to PWN some 12 year olds in MW3. Peace!

Lol...had to go back and see if you actually posted an update after I stole the top! Will be back when you get something new up my friend! Have a great memorial day Marine!

Shane

Mykos is the shiat!!! When there young anyway ;)

Oh and Shane Matt perefers to be called jarhead :liar:

Happy memorial day Bro! :party:

Awesome video Matt or should I say professor great information I switched this week from botanicare to worm casting tea for the same reason you stated and of course Guru 12 day results . I was wondering since I use city water (I do let it sit for two days) the ph is higher than 8 and was wondering if it would be alright to use ph down by GH without negatively impacting the bacteria?
Thanks

Thanks man! No Professor here, I just decided to read up on it because Guru is an organic genius and I WANT 7 FOOT PEPPER PLANTS! As far as the ph down goes, I read a bit about it and the consensus is that if you use it (in a modest amount according to the bottle) before you brew the tea you should be good. If you don't wanna risk it, you can use the organic method to bring the ph down or up (lemons or oranges for acidity and baking soda for base).

Lol...had to go back and see if you actually posted an update after I stole the top! Will be back when you get something new up my friend! Have a great memorial day Marine!

Shane

Sounds like a top of the page whore! :rofl: I will probably post an update this weekend, we got hit with a bunch of wind today and some rain the past few days so the in ground plants are hit or miss and the container plants are boomin! Ill post a few pics and a vid by the end of the long weekend. Happy to Memorial day to you as well.

Here's to the fallen :cheers:

Mykos is the shiat!!! When there young anyway ;)

Oh and Shane Matt perefers to be called jarhead :liar:

Happy memorial day Bro! :party:

Yea, I kinda missed the boat on the early stages of life. I am really lookin forward to usin it in my tea mix and then if I need to pot up any of the smaller potted plants. Thanks!

Oh, and I prefer "Mr Amazing"

Alright, Alright, here ya go Shane, update time!

I hope yall have been havin a great weekend, I am definitely enjoying the extra few days off. From what they have been showin on the news, I guess that there is a Tropical Storm in the Atlantic and that may be why we have been gettin such heavy winds and sporadic rain... Between the in ground and the container plants, the container plants are doing better as a whole. There are a few container plants that are just spuddering along, but MOST everything is gangbusters! I am talkin 5.5 inch leaves and stuff! Anyways, we had a great BBQ tonight with the neighbors and I was able to get outside and snap a few photos and a video with my dSLR in the sun. So, enough talking.

02db5f4c.jpg

The garden is looking pre-tty damn good for bein hit with God's wrath for the past few weeks!

9977a55d.jpg

My Douglah is spittin out a ton of flowers. Hopefully it isn't too long before one catches!

76ccaa52.jpg

The TSMBs have been really slow growin, but now they seem to have caught up to the others!

7bf97060.jpg

bac59382.jpg

4f153dea.jpg

Oh yea....I HAVE JALS AND CAYENNES!!

432a6136.jpg

23783fbf.jpg

Red Brain is spittin out some nice flowers. Keepin my fingers crossed that one catches! :pray:

9dd1c3f3.jpg

This Infinity in the 7gal smart pot is SICK!

313b4bbf.jpg

Last but not least, I got the XTREME GARDENING care package and I am pretty excited about givin it a shot. I started a tea brew tonight, I am gonna let it go for a few days and once it gets nice and frothy I am gonna dilute it enough to get a couple gallons of folliar and about 10 gallons of root drench. I used the K-I-S Pro Kit and added a bag of Myco Blast (Thanks Alpha Hydro!) to REALLY get things movin in there! Hopefully the weather holds up for a few days and i can water when they are really beggin for it!

Anyways, Thanks for tunin in and here is the video for all us reading haters out there :)

http://youtu.be/J8hKdepSe_g

Interesting! I've got some in-ground and container grow comparos going also and currently the containers are winning hands down. Of course, here I am battling cold Wx more than wind or rain. But I think also the growing medium can be so much more controlled in the containers, and peppers seems really fussy about that at least in the first half of their lives.

It will be interesting to see how the back yard contenders fare later. That is one sweet set-up and likely they will go forest on you!

Regarding your 'double-digging video' -- thanks for the recco on the 4-prong garden fork as the best tool ever. I've been digging dirt off and on for 20+ seasons and always used a regular shovel. The 'fork' rocks!!! Best gardening tip of the year (for me).... :cool:

Dude that sucks about the weather for you guys. They seem to be holding up in the back yard. What doesn't kill em will make em stronger in the long run. I love the vids man! The jalapenos are looking tasty, such a simple pepper but one of my fav's for sure. Hard to beat the flavor. Nice update man, keep em coming!

Dang Matt the weather is not being nice to you sometimes you just need yell :censored: at mother nature, but the porch plants look great and biker billy pods will provide some temporary heat until the other ones decide to show up and join the fun. Good luck threw the weather and everything will blow up once that storm passes. Continue to have a great weekend man :dance: .

Nice stuff Matt! Yours look kinda like mine did after the couple hail storms we had out here. The all kind looked like they had been hit with buck shot for a while after that, but the good news is it didn't seem to slow them down at all, and produces some nice super bushy plants! Hope that's the case for you too buddy. Also, when my plants went in the ground they stayed unhappy for a while until they figured out the soil, but once they did, they really went crazy. Give them a little more time, and they'll get moving for you! Hope you get some good weather soon!

Happy memorial day buddy,
Shane

Interesting! I've got some in-ground and container grow comparos going also and currently the containers are winning hands down. Of course, here I am battling cold Wx more than wind or rain. But I think also the growing medium can be so much more controlled in the containers, and peppers seems really fussy about that at least in the first half of their lives.

It will be interesting to see how the back yard contenders fare later. That is one sweet set-up and likely they will go forest on you!

Regarding your 'double-digging video' -- thanks for the recco on the 4-prong garden fork as the best tool ever. I've been digging dirt off and on for 20+ seasons and always used a regular shovel. The 'fork' rocks!!! Best gardening tip of the year (for me).... :cool:

I am thinkin the same thing about the in ground plants taking longer to acclimate. I heard a lot of people talk about how their container plants are always in ahead of their in ground plants for the beginning of the season. But when the IGP (UH OH! Acronym time, it must be serious.... :)) get the hang of it they turn into little forests. I am hopin that they will catch up in the next few weeks. They were definitely WAAAYY slow at the beginning, but now seem to be turning around. Also, that spading fork is a godsend! I use that thing all the time! Glad I can help!

Dude that sucks about the weather for you guys. They seem to be holding up in the back yard. What doesn't kill em will make em stronger in the long run. I love the vids man! The jalapenos are looking tasty, such a simple pepper but one of my fav's for sure. Hard to beat the flavor. Nice update man, keep em coming!

Yea, this weather pisses me off, but there is nothing I can do....I heard that the rest of the summer is supposed to be hot and dry, so I am guessing I will be beggin for a bit of rain in the middle of July or August. Everything is growing so quick, and those Jals popped up seemingly over night. I am excited about them, so much so that I planted 4 plants! Thanks for stoppin in!

Dang Matt the weather is not being nice to you sometimes you just need yell :censored: at mother nature, but the porch plants look great and biker billy pods will provide some temporary heat until the other ones decide to show up and join the fun. Good luck threw the weather and everything will blow up once that storm passes. Continue to have a great weekend man :dance: .

lol! I wish I knew where Ma Nature lived and I would put a flaming bag of poop on her doorstep...I am excited because I have never had a Biker Billy and I heard they are great. I can't wait to pop one!
Nice stuff Matt! Yours look kinda like mine did after the couple hail storms we had out here. The all kind looked like they had been hit with buck shot for a while after that, but the good news is it didn't seem to slow them down at all, and produces some nice super bushy plants! Hope that's the case for you too buddy. Also, when my plants went in the ground they stayed unhappy for a while until they figured out the soil, but once they did, they really went crazy. Give them a little more time, and they'll get moving for you! Hope you get some good weather soon!

Happy memorial day buddy,
Shane

Yea, I aint too much worried about how they look. I have seen some UGLY ass plants with 80 pods on them. I doesn't bother me at all, as long as i can get some nasty peppers off them. I figured it would take a while for the IGP to catch on, hopefully once I give the roots a nice drench of tea with myco and then folliar feed everything, they will get a nice jump start. Oh, and I am eating eggs, potatoes, and peppers this morning with a bit of that Manzano powder on it.. YUMMMM!!

Gotta give mad props !! Looking like a great '12 grow ! NC State Fair is in Oct. you will have plenty of pods to win with ! Happy Memorial Day... Dan

Thanks for stoppin in Dan! I wish I could make it to the St Fair this year, but I should be back in Afcrapistan for another go...gotta love it...
But I am sure that you will have more than enough heat AND BOOZE for us both! :cheers:

Lookin great Matt. If your plants survived that then they're set, I think. I bet you'll have some trouble getting in between your rows when they're all grown up, even with your fancy black material on the ground. I've gotta admit, I haven't eaten yet today so the most exciting part of your video for me personally was that shot of the pulled pork which was way too short and almost felt subliminal. I want to go kill a pig now.

Lookin great Matt. If your plants survived that then they're set, I think. I bet you'll have some trouble getting in between your rows when they're all grown up, even with your fancy black material on the ground. I've gotta admit, I haven't eaten yet today so the most exciting part of your video for me personally was that shot of the pulled pork which was way too short and almost felt subliminal. I want to go kill a pig now.

Thanks Andy! I definitely ate WAAAAAAY too much. The pulled pork has been my go-to BBQ dish for the past few weeks. Something about tender strips of pig smothered in Que....

I am gonna go back to my garden and its "fancy black material". I need to spend as much time as I can out there praying for trouble crawling through the rows!

I was out there this evening feeding them some compost tea. I decided to do a bit of an inspection while I was at it. I ended up finding an aphid infested Biker Billy that was in a container. This kinda freaked me out, but after going through all the others it looked like it was only that one plant. Add to that, it was in the front of the house so the ones in the back were safe anyways. So when I started going through everything I was like, HEY! Lady Bugs! Hey Lady Bugs Humping! Hey more Lady Bugs! If my hands weren't covered in compost tea, I would have snapped a few pics. But anywho, I really love the pro kit from Keep it Simple Compost Tea company. All I added was a pkg myco blast and it looked like this after 24 hours

6ff7cfd2.jpg

I diluted to 1/2 strength and was able to folliar feed everything, AND do a good soil/root drench to boost the soil ecosystem. I can't wait to see how they react over the next few days! Alright folks, thanks for stoppin in and it is back to AGT!! Bababooey!!

Gonna be watching how that tea works for you...I got some brewing, but really need a few more/bigger airstones. Hopefully it'll just take a little extra time but still do the job. Going to test it on a few of the sickly plants and see if it gives them a boost. Pretty sure grubs are their issue, luckily they're isolated to one small patch, and no supers are in there plus I have dupes of all the plants in that spot. Those aphids are relentless! Hopefully the ladybugs help you knock them out!

The plants are looking superb dude! Sorry I haven't been on here lately to check out everyone's grow.

No worries Dan, I have had to pretty much pick one or the other for the past few months. The kid has taken up a TON of my time... Good to have ya back around!

Gonna be watching how that tea works for you...I got some brewing, but really need a few more/bigger airstones. Hopefully it'll just take a little extra time but still do the job. Going to test it on a few of the sickly plants and see if it gives them a boost. Pretty sure grubs are their issue, luckily they're isolated to one small patch, and no supers are in there plus I have dupes of all the plants in that spot. Those aphids are relentless! Hopefully the ladybugs help you knock them out!

Yea, I just took the plant out back (I have about another 1/4 acre outside my fence) and stuck it out there. I will let it fend for itself. I have 4 other jals, no worries about the 5th! :)

Those Biker Billy's are looking good! I'm trying for the first time too, and I hope they live up to their reputation. I've tried 4 or 5 different kinds of jalapenos, and none of them had any heat.

I found aphids again on the plants that I'm still hauling in and out, and they are only out there for a few hours each day. It amazes me that they can find them that quickly. I'm so ready to get those peppers in the ground, and let the natural predators start feasting on them.

Aphids, is it me or is there just something satisfying about mashing those little buggers? When I was getting ready for the start of the season I was readign everything everywhere I could find and found an article that member cycadjungle had written about using used coffee grounds to combat tha bad insects. I didn't do it to the first plants I put in the ground, just some veggies and a Peno but everything else I mixed in 10% grouonds I got for free from Starbucks. Dang if is isn't working too. I found some aphids on the veggies but no where else and after I sprayed them down with his coffee juice and placed some grounds aroung the base of the plant they were gone withn 3 days and the plants really hae nothing to show for it. So, on a whim I sprayed my whole lawn down and it is now the greenest on the block. Coffee, who knew and it's all organic!

Plants are looking really good I'm interested in seeing how that tea works out for you.
Keep em growin,
RM

Edit: Seems, at least to me, that the coffee changes the taste of the plant to the buggs. I wonder if you did your yard like I did if it would help with that little grasshopper issue you were having. PM me if you'd like to read the article it's pretty interesting stuff. cycadjungle is from Lakeland, FL

Very cool! Love the worm tea setup and that froth! As far as i know, correct me if i'm wrong, but mychorrizhae beneficial fungi will not be beneficial as a foliar alone since it needs to be in contact with roots to really help the plant. Those plants you did the root drench with the myco tea should help.

I also got the Xtreme Gardening care package. Put the tea brewing kit last night and will be foliar feeding tonite. According to the ingredients, it has worm castings which should have the right type of beneficials to be used in a foliar application.

Those Biker Billy's are looking good! I'm trying for the first time too, and I hope they live up to their reputation. I've tried 4 or 5 different kinds of jalapenos, and none of them had any heat.

I found aphids again on the plants that I'm still hauling in and out, and they are only out there for a few hours each day. It amazes me that they can find them that quickly. I'm so ready to get those peppers in the ground, and let the natural predators start feasting on them.

Thanks Bonnie, I can't wait to pop one. I am gonna let the first one I pick go completely red before I give it a go. I wanna REALLY get the heat out of it! The aphids are little demons from hell and I am happy that the lady bug population is really kicking into high gear! The predators are definitely out in full force!

Aphids, is it me or is there just something satisfying about mashing those little buggers? When I was getting ready for the start of the season I was readign everything everywhere I could find and found an article that member cycadjungle had written about using used coffee grounds to combat tha bad insects. I didn't do it to the first plants I put in the ground, just some veggies and a Peno but everything else I mixed in 10% grouonds I got for free from Starbucks. Dang if is isn't working too. I found some aphids on the veggies but no where else and after I sprayed them down with his coffee juice and placed some grounds aroung the base of the plant they were gone withn 3 days and the plants really hae nothing to show for it. So, on a whim I sprayed my whole lawn down and it is now the greenest on the block. Coffee, who knew and it's all organic!

Plants are looking really good I'm interested in seeing how that tea works out for you.
Keep em growin,
RM

Edit: Seems, at least to me, that the coffee changes the taste of the plant to the buggs. I wonder if you did your yard like I did if it would help with that little grasshopper issue you were having. PM me if you'd like to read the article it's pretty interesting stuff. cycadjungle is from Lakeland, FL

I did read something about the whole coffee grounds to fight aphids thing. If I see em again in the garden I may resort to that. Right now I just stuck the DISEASED plant out on the edge of my property, plenty of room in between. I actually just dumped it out in the field, but then I felt bad and dug a little hole, stuck him in it and will let him battle the elements. Good luck little pepper plant! lol.
nice looking tea your plants will explode after they drink that

Very cool! Love the worm tea setup and that froth! As far as i know, correct me if i'm wrong, but mychorrizhae beneficial fungi will not be beneficial as a foliar alone since it needs to be in contact with roots to really help the plant. Those plants you did the root drench with the myco tea should help.

I also got the Xtreme Gardening care package. Put the tea brewing kit last night and will be foliar feeding tonite. According to the ingredients, it has worm castings which should have the right type of beneficials to be used in a foliar application.

Yes, you are right that it is for root development and beneficial organisms in the soil (at least that is what I gather), and I stuck it in the tea so when I drenched the roots, they could get fed. I actually stick the nozzle of my spray tank in the soil a few inches down around where the roots are. Then I give it a few seconds per plant so that the roots are actually getting hit with the tea. Also, the XG care package has water soluble myco, and so does the Supreme Growers Myco Blast. They look like they loved the drink last night, yours will definitely enjoy it!

Back