• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

MGOLD's Farewell Sauce Thread, SUPER CHEETAH!

What's up friends, family, and lurkers! I am fixing to get out of dodge here pretty soon, but before I do, I wanted to take advantage of what the pepper gods have given me this year, and bust out a sauce or two. I don't have much time, and I figured I would get the time to make one or two different batches. Tonight I am going to start the first one, and I promise to post up some pics, and if any of you have followed my GLog, there will probably be enough, if not TOO much rambling. Anyways, shall we begin???

I did a bunch of homework before diving into this mess. I read SL's great thread, and talked with a few experienced....saucemen... I didn't wanna pay crazy shipping and didn't know if I would get the bottles in time, so I decided to go to the store and get the cheapest sauce and dump the stuff and use the bottle. Yea, sounded great....I have been to every grocery or food type store in a 40 mile radius, and found 6 5oz bottles under 2 bucks. So I bought them all up, and decided that wouldn't be enough....I don't plan on making a ton of sauce, but I would like to get about 2 bottles per sauce to bring with me. So, I decided to pickup some 10oz Tapatio for about 1.40 each. I figured that would be great to get a big bottle and little bottle to bring with me.

So here is the before.
file-1.jpg

I needed to get those pesky labels off, so I cleaned the bottles out with some o2 cleaner I got at the local homebrewing store, and soaked them overnight in it to help pull the labels off. The larger bottles gave me a ton of trouble, but I got most of the residue after some elbow grease. :)

Now I am ready for tonight.
file-2.jpg

The recipe I am going with tonight is as follows.

7 Pot Jonah, roasted
7 Pot Original, roasted
Garlic, roasted
Sundried Tomatoes
Roma Tomatoes, Grilled
Sweet Onion caramelized (dry)
Salt and Pepper
Agave
Balsamic Vinegar, taste
Lemon juice
Rice Vinegar

I haven't really thought about measurements, but I have about 3/4 qt of each pepper and plenty of ingredients. I would rather make more, and have to dump then not make enough. From what I gather, to get the heat and taste, you should have 50% peppers. I don't have a scale, so I am just gonna go with "feel"... I plan on roasting my veg (I already roasted the garlic last night), and then throwing them in a pot, cooking it down, and then blend with my immersion blender, test ph, and adjust with the rice vinegar. I have no clue about what measurements I am gonna use, any tips or tricks would be great, and like I said, this is just a rough guideline. If you have any recommendations to the recipe, things that have worked well for you in the past, or things that you think I should try, please, let me know. Although I am not really starting with measurements, I plan to write them down for future reference.

Thanks and I look forward to the conversation!

Matt

Looks great, got to try a bottle. yummyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Thanks Rob! I cant wait to give it a try in a few weeks!

Congrats on your first sauce Matt. :fireball: :hot:

Looks super tasty. :party:

Be safe on your journey my friend . :P

Thanks Jamie! It did taste pretty awesome when I tried it as I was cooking, can't wait to see how the flavors meld over time!
Matt .......thank you for your entertaining glog, always different and interesting......... :cool: .......looking forwrd to seeing you back on the top of the charts! Be smart and stay safe!

Greg

Thanks Greg, it has been a blast! I will miss the season, so that should give a few others to rise to the top of the page counts! ;) But when I get back...GAME ON!

nice color!

Thanks. It really kept the roasted pepper color. I was pretty surprised.

Yep, been there, done that and the Hard Rock Baghdad was closed for reconstruction.

file-12.jpg

So now I am at a crossroads. I have added a bit of water to get it to blend, but it is about the consistency of a marinara sauce. Where should I go from here? Seive and separate? Cook it down, add some water??

Looks damn tasty Matt, I think I would have added a half cup or the Jamison's and a cup of water. given it a second blend and bottled but it still looks good and hot.
Final word is Great job for your first sauce, 10 Stars!

That sauce is a thing of beauty Matt. Well done. If it tastes half as good as it looks then it will be a winner. I love the black flecks of char in it too. It really adds a nice look. And good luck with your deployment. Like others have said, we appreciate all you do for our country. And when you get back, make more sauce!! ;)

Thanks Bill and Brian! I am pretty excited about how it came out and was surprised at how easy it ended up being. I really wanna try a few more sauces, but i don't know how much time I'll have.

I have a Fatalii/yellow 7 sauce planned, and a Bhut sauce planned, hopefully I can knock out one of them. But either way, I am happy with how it turned out. And bill, that Jameson wasn't the cheap stuff...should last a few years. :)

fatalli/7Pots
peaches/nectarines
onions
pulp of lemon
ginger
carrot
pineapple juice
rice vin
salt
agave
3 good beers
2 full shots of hwhiskey
a few other dry spices, if desired

post how much pods you have, I'll toss out some measurements.

Be Safe, amigo! Thanks for your service, we'll be there for you.

PS- the beer and hwhiskey are for you, not the sauce! :cool:

Thanks SL! I have about 6 or 8 Yellow 7s, a dozen TS yellows, about 15 Bondas, a half dozen scotch bonnet yellows, and 2 full qt bags of fataliis.

Whatcha think??

Oh, Fatalii's, try this

2 cup of warm water
2 cup Tamarind Pulp

2 cup of Pomegrenete Juice
2 Lg Sweet Onion
6 Lg Carrots
2 Cinnamon Sticks
1/2 Cup Rice Vinegar
1 qt Fataliis

Add the Tamarind Pulp to the warm water and work the pulp into the water removing the seeds. when the pulp is smooth pour it into a large pot along with the other ingredients after hacking and whacking them up.

Bring to a boil for 15 minutes then reduce to a simmer for 45 minutes.

After the simmer run it all through the blender till smooth and check Ph then back into the pot and simmer for 30 minutes.

Second Blending to get a really nice smooth sauce.

Back to pot and heat to 195 degrees F for 15 minutes. Bottle the sauce keeping an eye on the temp. If sauce temp falls below 185, heat it back up to 195 and continue bottling.

Cap and invert bottles for minimum of 15 minutes.

Good stuff this is!!

well, since RM, took 1 qt of the fataliis, ;)

All the rest of the yellow chiles (should be about 2 quarts?)
6 peaches/nectarines (or use a bag of frozen pieces, not canned, unless well drained)
2 medium onions
2 lemons- reamed, a little pulp is good
1 tsp dry ginger
1/2 tsp dry coriander, ground
4 lg carrots (or buy 2 bags of shredded in the produce section)
2 cups pineapple juice
1/2 c rice vin
1 tsp salt
1/2-3/4 c agave

Follow the usual process, chop, simmer, blend, heat, pH, bottle, etc

This should give you a little sweeter sauce with a heck-of-a punch. Maybe go with 1/2 c agave to start, then adjust at the end. Should make about 3-4 qts.

Matt the sauce looks great! Personally,I like a thicker, less watery sauce.

Please forgive the following question, aka rabbit trail.

I've read the Hot Sauce 101 thread, and after reading this thread, now I'm more confused than before. I thought the two options were 1) use a canning approved recipe, and BWB or pressure can the sauce, or 2) use a fermentation process. With the sauce you made, you brought it to 200 degrees and put in sterilized bottles, but no further processing? Does this have to be kept in the fridge then? I'm not clear on the safety end of this. Is this shelf stable due to the high acidity from the vinegar?

I apologize if I'm beating a dead horse here ...

Hi Bonnie,
The Ph is the key element in your sauce. You want to have a Ph below 4.0, the lower the better. With the Ph down there you can bottle your sauce in a woozie with the sauce at 195 degrees f, think Pasturization, then flip the bottle so the sauce is touching the cap to steralize it with the hot sauce. If your using canning jars, jelly or pickle, Mason or Ball, then just follow proper canning techniques for low acid foods.

I don't have a ph tester. So if I'm going to can it via BWB or pressure canner, do I still need the ph to be that low? I don't care for the taste of vinegar, so I'm hoping to use the method that allows the smallest amount of it as possible.

The problem I've run into is that I haven't found many hot sauce recipes tested for canning. They are usually Taco Sauce, or Chilii sauce recipes with a primarily tomato base.

Hi HighAlt,

If you have the capability to pressure can, then you are set! You don't need to worry about pH, etc. Just make the recipe you like, give it maybe 15 min @ 10psi processing time, and your product is shelf stable. When you open a jar, just transfer it into a sauce bottle if you want.

With BWB, you still need to worry about pH. Pressure cooking is the ONLY method of processing where you do not need to be concerned with pH.

The other processes (bottle/invert like MGold or BWB) are for those who don't have a pressure canner and who can test for pH.

If you can't test for pH, then you really should use a tested/approved recipe that can be BWB or hotfill&hold(as MGold is doing) [I know there aren't many hot sauce recipes out there] or pressure can. That way you are absolutely sure your sauce is safe.

Hope this helps-
SL

A regular Shakespeare!

Have a little under a gallon of bhuts. Mostly red, but a few brown and choco. I also have about a dozen "others" that I threw in the bag, as well as a Sammy bag bustin at the Seems of all the pods that SS sent me (BB Jonah, BB Douglah, Douglah x Scorp.

Kinda thinkin about smokin something....

Your sauce is looking good and hot Matt. Are you going to Afgavistan or Iraq? I'm sure they will keep
you so busy that the time will go by quickly and before you know it you'll be back home again. I cut lots
of marine and navy haircuts. We have Oceana and NOB. Definitely a military town here....We'll see
you soon here.

p.s. I know I spelled Afgavistan wrong

That sauce looks great, good move leaving the char on, it gives it an awesome color and lots of character. Let us know how it tastes when you crack it open.

Thanks for your service. Stay saucy!

A regular Shakespeare!

Have a little under a gallon of bhuts. Mostly red, but a few brown and choco. I also have about a dozen "others" that I threw in the bag, as well as a Sammy bag bustin at the Seems of all the pods that SS sent me (BB Jonah, BB Douglah, Douglah x Scorp.

Kinda thinkin about smokin something....

Hells yeah!!! smoked is always a good way to go. Just dont use that liquid junk. Smoke the pods and make the sauce. Also if your going to use tomatoes you might try smoking them also.

Back