• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Mildfruit 2021 Expanding from hydroponics.

Hi all! 

This is my third grow blog. You can find the first one here, and my second one here
I started out with pure hydroponics using both kratky and growdan blocks as I was restricted to indoor growing. Last year I experimented with indoor coco coir with great succes using the auto pots!

Now this year will be a little different, because due to a new job I had to move and my new apartment have a huge glass balcony (facing south)!
Under firm negotiations with the GF I managed to land a deal to have 4 outdoor plants. 
As part of the deal I had to give up one of my two grow tents  ;)

However this means I will have coco coir indoor, and for the first time in a long time I'll have plants in soil outdoor! 
Im really excited to compare plants. 

Realistically this means I'll have 8 plants, 4 outdoor and 4 indoor. Im still not sure witch I'll choose, but more on that later.
First I'll start with the current setup witch will continue straight from the old glog.

A quick overview of the main tent. 
IMG-0432.jpg

From the left in the back we have the dutch chille, a heavy producer of a generic annum that tastes pretty great and I use it almost daily. 
Next in the middel is Stripey, a sugar rush peach with red stripes. 
Lastly to the right in the back is poblano. 
In the front to the left is a yellow Biquinho. 
And the last and smallest is a lemon spice jalapeño. 

Lets begin with a taste test: 
My Bahamian goat, or whatever it really is, the pheno is off and their size is rather small, but that could be due to grow environment. 
IMG-0417.jpg

IMG-0431.jpg

Is also really prolific, but as you all can see, the pheno is not correct. 
The taste is really good, and heat is also on the spot. I guess the taste and heat are the most important criterias for peppers. So I still have high hopes for the hot sauce. 

IMG-0426.jpg

The Biquinho haven't produced as I hoped, but the light space is rather cramped in the tent, and that is probably a factor.

IMG-0427.jpg

I harvest peppers daily from this weirdo. I call it a weirdo due to its grow pattern witch is all over the place. But its the pepper im mostly enjoying at the time so weird is good  ;)

IMG-0428.jpg

The Stripey have been a slow producer so far, I estimate around 7-10 pods on the plant so far, but hopefully it will pick up soon. 

IMG-0429.jpg

The Poblano, have lots of pods but still not a single ripe pepper.. Patience is key it seems.. 

IMG-0419.jpg

Lastly a picture before I started to dehydrate my peppers. The dutch chille works great as dried as well. 

I wish everyone a better 2021! 

I hope you're not disappointed with your soil grow and I wish you lots of success with it.   I seem to have better luck with hydro.  Last season I grew a bhut orange Copenhagen in Kratky and it was huge.  Almost twice as big as my soil plants and it produced lots of pods. This year I have a Carolina Reaper in a 3 gallon bucket Kratky grow and it is a monster compared to my potting mix plants.   It's still indoors now waiting on the weather to stay warm.  I'll keep it in Kratky all season but will move it up to a 5 gallon bucket.   Also, I'm planning on trying my hand at a few Dutch buckets this season.  I've got Habaneros, Bahamian Goats and a cross of the two in jars right now Kratky style.  Again, just waiting on the weather.  

MHBreQb.jpg

The leaves and stalk are huge.  Controlling the EC and the PH seem to make it real happy!  I'm hoping to get some really good pods from this one!

CaneDog said:
Things seem to be coming along well, MF.  It's sure a different look for the rocotos growing in the natural sun versus the LED's!  

Was too bad the Stripey wasn't stripey for you - how did the pods taste?

Looking forward to following along with your dutch x poblano.  That could be an cool one.  Would be cool to see the prolificacy of the dutch chile with an even chunkier pod.
Certainly, I've never had any luck fruiting rocotos indoors. I think they prefer the cooler outdoors, at least my last rocoto did. 
The pods where good, no soapy baccatum after taste, and compared to my last SRP which where sourced from whitehotpeppers, these where less hot. Also didn't have that sugary bite. Overall they worked fine and that did make the disappointment more bearable. 
Thanks! I also curious to what to expect. Probably a chunkier pod :p 

PaulG said:
Plants look robust and healthy, MF!

You are right about the sun. I notice a
real uptick in growth and vigor when
my plants start getting some true sun-
light in the Spring. 

Keep up the good work. I really like
seeing those Grodan blocks in use.

I looking forward to experiencing it again. Beside my rocoto last year, I haven't relied on the sun in a few years. 
Thanks Paul, I repotted two plants today into their last grodan container. Next repotting will be in soil! 
IMG-0701.jpg

Tybo said:
I hope you're not disappointed with your soil grow and I wish you lots of success with it.   I seem to have better luck with hydro.  Last season I grew a bhut orange Copenhagen in Kratky and it was huge.  Almost twice as big as my soil plants and it produced lots of pods. This year I have a Carolina Reaper in a 3 gallon bucket Kratky grow and it is a monster compared to my potting mix plants.   It's still indoors now waiting on the weather to stay warm.  I'll keep it in Kratky all season but will move it up to a 5 gallon bucket.   Also, I'm planning on trying my hand at a few Dutch buckets this season.  I've got Habaneros, Bahamian Goats and a cross of the two in jars right now Kratky style.  Again, just waiting on the weather.  
The leaves and stalk are huge.  Controlling the EC and the PH seem to make it real happy!  I'm hoping to get some really good pods from this one!

Wow, what a beast! I've also done a few Kratkys, and the output speaks for itself. Certainly a great way to grow, and combined with real sun you have a lot of peppers in the future to consume :) 
I don't know what to expect in the soil department, but not having to tinker with pH and EC, will be a nice for a change. I will say, if I had the setup you're running, I would recommend autopots, works just like Kratky, but easier to refill, especially if you're having more than 1plant. The trade of is its pretty expensive tho. Will follow your growth, its looking really good! 

IMG-0728.jpg

Well the weather is.. disappointing. Still a few weeks away from getting the plants outside. I've noticed the growing process is a bit slower when not under 16/8 LED light cycle. But that's probably because the weather have been so cloudy the last few weeks. However, they seem good so far :)
IMG-0729.jpg

A close up picture of the orange locoto. Those fussy leafs and stem sure is someting to look at :).

IMG-0730.jpg

Dutch x poblano - still doing fine :) 

IMG-0731.jpg

My biggest plant pepperoncini thin pheno are starting to make flower buds :)

Plants look just great. Nary a spot on those leaves!

PaulG said:
Plants look just great. Nary a spot on those leaves!
Thanks Paul! 
Its been a funny experience to have them outside, think I've been over cautious with hardening them off, at least my gf think so :D 

Still, the weather in Denmark is dread awful at the time (last few months) so growth have been slower than what im used to, but at least the plants are not stretching. 

IMG-1007.jpg

A quick overview of the plants. The orange locoto have begun to set some laterals. 
IMG-1010.jpg

Just look how much plant a single small growdan block can provide. My plan was to have them permanently outside in soil by now, but im still waiting a week before finally replanting them.
IMG-1008.jpg

The pepperoncini have made it's first pod! 
IMG-1009.jpg

Soon to be flower on the Murupi Amarela! 

Glad the weather isn't hampering your plants. 
They continue to look great.

PaulG said:
Glad the weather isn't hampering your plants. 
They continue to look great.
They seem to have survived, even with nights with very cold temperatures. As low as 6 degrees celcius (42.8 degrees Fahrenheit). 

CaneDog said:
+1.  Plants are looking great.  View of the gloomy weather through the window, not so much.  Hope you turn the corner into warm sunny weather soon and can get those guys into their final summer homes.
Luckily the weather have turned around indeed! The last few days of may have been as good as it gets summer wise. 
And today they went into their final homes! 

Today the plants got into their natural habitat (or close to) with some dirty dirty soil. 

IMG-1037.jpg

The setup: 4 pots of 5 Liters. I only need some kind of furniture to hide the pots, or at least that's the order from the GF. 
IMG-1038.jpg

I used the remaining dirt from a big bag we used from our olive tree. I noted the soil was "designed" for olive and citrus trees. I have no clue if it will hamper the growth with pepper plants, but time will tell I guess. I also mixed some perlite into, and in the bottom of the pots some holes for drainage. 
IMG-1039.jpg

Heres the bottom of the murupi, I think the upgrade in pot size will be a warm welcome. 
IMG-1040.jpg

Dirt is so messy. 
IMG-1041.jpg

Finally finished them all. The method I used with mixing soil in a ziplock bag with perlite was so time consuming. When I someday get a greenhouse I have to figure something out :D But for now it was worth it, hope the plants approve. 
IMG-1029-2.jpg

A close up of a flower on the murupi amarela. Full of pollen! 
IMG-1030-2.jpg

Here is a close up of my cross (Dutch pepper x brown poblano) hope its as prolific as the dutch pepper! 

IMG-1042.jpg

The Pepperoncini is also in the making of the first few peppers. Heres a picture of the biggest. I managed to find the original online seller (I bought these seeds from a third party) https://www.southdevonchillifarm.co.uk/online-shop/chilli-seeds/pepperoncini-chilli-seeds/ Seems to grow true :)

Transplants turned out really nicely, Rasmus! 

That pic of the Grodan block roots is pretty amazing.
Once those roots get in the dirt, you will need some
heavy duty fencing to contain the plants!

PaulG said:
Transplants turned out really nicely, Rasmus! 

That pic of the Grodan block roots is pretty amazing.
Once those roots get in the dirt, you will need some
heavy duty fencing to contain the plants!

Haha I sure hope so! 

Siv said:
Soil is messy but so much less stress!

So far, 1day into my soil adventure I agree! No more worrying about water purity or pH. I only think of how much liquid fertilizer for one bucket of water I need once in a while. So far I like it! 

IMG-1163.jpg

A little overview of the orange locoto and murupi. No pods on the locoto yet, flowers are opening and pollen is plentyfull. But perhaps the weather is still too warm for pods to be produced. 

IMG-1164.jpg

Overview of Pepperonici and F1 cross (dutch pepper x brown poblano). First flower have opened on the cross, im very exited to see what is being produced, as the parent plants both had different shapes and colors. 

IMG-1165.jpg

Close up of the before mentioned flower. 

IMG-1166.jpg

Lastly the first pods on murupi. I remember tasting one of these 1 or 2 years ago, great taste and very hot, perhaps a bit under normal habanero, but most importantly, at least for me, the chinense aroma wasn't as potent as some habanero varieties have it. I been trying to grow this variety multiple times, but always ran into problems, either broken stems, or BLS. However, with a new supplier of seeds problems seems to have ceased. Or It could also be down to pure luck..  Very excited for these, my only regret is I didn't grow another chinense for crossing, but maybe next season. 

Also, I need to include some jalapeños next year. 

Just a quick update!
IMG-1178.jpg

im starting to suspect these are not growing true. 
https://www.southdevonchillifarm.co.uk/online-shop/chilli-seeds/pepperoncini-chilli-seeds/
They seem fatter and shorter than the picture from the shop in the link above. Still looking forward to tasting them, so far my best/fastest producing plant :)

IMG-1179.jpg

F1 Dutch chille x Brown poblano. I follow this pods development each day :D

IMG-1180.jpg

Seems the first pod is coming on my Orange Locoto plant! Someone told me I needed two plants to pollenate this variety, luckily my plant didn't hear that. 

IMG-1181.jpg

The Murupi is also doing great! Lots of flowers and around 7 pods or so, so far. 

PaulG said:
Your 'Euro Grow' is looking good, MF.

Good to see some pods coming along for you!
Enjoy the rest of the season, my friend!
Thanks Paul! Luckily the weather seems to have stabilized, and should like this in the foreseeable future (fingers crossed). 

So I have gotten a strange pest.. 
IMG-1200.jpg

I had to take measures and went to IKEA and got some plant protection.. 
IMG-1206.jpg

Still not totally cat proof, but it does the job ;) 

IMG-1221.jpg

So this post will be a bit about the new cross. The first pod have started to take shape, and it does look a bit like a mix between the two parent plants. But I'll let you decide, the next two pictures is from when the two parent plants started to put out pods. 

The first is the Dutch chili plant: 
IMG-1225.jpg

And the next is the poblano: 
IMG-1224.jpg

Still looking forward to seeing which color it will have! 

Pod update*

IMG-1250.jpg

I think this will be the shape of my cross. It has a few pods going, not as prolific as its parents as of yet. The plant have been attacked by lot and lots of aphids, most leafs on top are destroyed, but I think I have it under a bit of control now. 

IMG-1251.jpg

This mystery pepper, was supposed to be pepperoncini but I don't think so anymore. Still no color change, and I have no idea of the heat, but I'll be looking forward to it. 

IMG-1252.jpg

Murupi with lots of pods, but it haven't produced a big one yet. 

IMG-1253.jpg

IMG-1254.jpg

The orange locoto seems to be producing well so far :)

Back