• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Mildfruit 2021 Expanding from hydroponics.

Hi all! 

This is my third grow blog. You can find the first one here, and my second one here
I started out with pure hydroponics using both kratky and growdan blocks as I was restricted to indoor growing. Last year I experimented with indoor coco coir with great succes using the auto pots!

Now this year will be a little different, because due to a new job I had to move and my new apartment have a huge glass balcony (facing south)!
Under firm negotiations with the GF I managed to land a deal to have 4 outdoor plants. 
As part of the deal I had to give up one of my two grow tents  ;)

However this means I will have coco coir indoor, and for the first time in a long time I'll have plants in soil outdoor! 
Im really excited to compare plants. 

Realistically this means I'll have 8 plants, 4 outdoor and 4 indoor. Im still not sure witch I'll choose, but more on that later.
First I'll start with the current setup witch will continue straight from the old glog.

A quick overview of the main tent. 
IMG-0432.jpg

From the left in the back we have the dutch chille, a heavy producer of a generic annum that tastes pretty great and I use it almost daily. 
Next in the middel is Stripey, a sugar rush peach with red stripes. 
Lastly to the right in the back is poblano. 
In the front to the left is a yellow Biquinho. 
And the last and smallest is a lemon spice jalapeño. 

Lets begin with a taste test: 
My Bahamian goat, or whatever it really is, the pheno is off and their size is rather small, but that could be due to grow environment. 
IMG-0417.jpg

IMG-0431.jpg

Is also really prolific, but as you all can see, the pheno is not correct. 
The taste is really good, and heat is also on the spot. I guess the taste and heat are the most important criterias for peppers. So I still have high hopes for the hot sauce. 

IMG-0426.jpg

The Biquinho haven't produced as I hoped, but the light space is rather cramped in the tent, and that is probably a factor.

IMG-0427.jpg

I harvest peppers daily from this weirdo. I call it a weirdo due to its grow pattern witch is all over the place. But its the pepper im mostly enjoying at the time so weird is good  ;)

IMG-0428.jpg

The Stripey have been a slow producer so far, I estimate around 7-10 pods on the plant so far, but hopefully it will pick up soon. 

IMG-0429.jpg

The Poblano, have lots of pods but still not a single ripe pepper.. Patience is key it seems.. 

IMG-0419.jpg

Lastly a picture before I started to dehydrate my peppers. The dutch chille works great as dried as well. 

I wish everyone a better 2021! 

Looks like some good things happening as the outdoor season winds down. Great to hear about the new digs and greenhouse space. That could be epic next season! Glad the cross was a success and the orange locoto too. I need to experiment more with rocoto sauce recipes, as I haven't been able to concoct one yet that I really enjoy.

Good luck with the greenhouse & next season. I'd love to have space for a decent sized one too but alas not at the moment.

Thanks! And I feel that, been a dream for me for a long time. My last two glogs have been all about what to do when you don't have a greenhouse :D

Looking forward to seeing your new digs and Greenhouse best for 2022.🙂👍
Thanks I appreciate it! Luck is much needed!

Looks like some good things happening as the outdoor season winds down. Great to hear about the new digs and greenhouse space. That could be epic next season! Glad the cross was a success and the orange locoto too. I need to experiment more with rocoto sauce recipes, as I haven't been able to concoct one yet that I really enjoy.

I sure hope so! So far I've been reading up a lot on different types and sizes of greenhouse. But most importantly I need the approval from my GF :P
I liked my last rocoto sauce a lot, with apples, but other than that my sauce experience is fairly low. But I plan to change that ;).

One thing that I've already starting to enjoy is the realization that I can grow a lot more than im used to. Good thing I have a few months to decide the seeds :)!

Back