• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Mildfruit 2021 Expanding from hydroponics.

Hi all! 

This is my third grow blog. You can find the first one here, and my second one here
I started out with pure hydroponics using both kratky and growdan blocks as I was restricted to indoor growing. Last year I experimented with indoor coco coir with great succes using the auto pots!

Now this year will be a little different, because due to a new job I had to move and my new apartment have a huge glass balcony (facing south)!
Under firm negotiations with the GF I managed to land a deal to have 4 outdoor plants. 
As part of the deal I had to give up one of my two grow tents  ;)

However this means I will have coco coir indoor, and for the first time in a long time I'll have plants in soil outdoor! 
Im really excited to compare plants. 

Realistically this means I'll have 8 plants, 4 outdoor and 4 indoor. Im still not sure witch I'll choose, but more on that later.
First I'll start with the current setup witch will continue straight from the old glog.

A quick overview of the main tent. 
IMG-0432.jpg

From the left in the back we have the dutch chille, a heavy producer of a generic annum that tastes pretty great and I use it almost daily. 
Next in the middel is Stripey, a sugar rush peach with red stripes. 
Lastly to the right in the back is poblano. 
In the front to the left is a yellow Biquinho. 
And the last and smallest is a lemon spice jalapeño. 

Lets begin with a taste test: 
My Bahamian goat, or whatever it really is, the pheno is off and their size is rather small, but that could be due to grow environment. 
IMG-0417.jpg

IMG-0431.jpg

Is also really prolific, but as you all can see, the pheno is not correct. 
The taste is really good, and heat is also on the spot. I guess the taste and heat are the most important criterias for peppers. So I still have high hopes for the hot sauce. 

IMG-0426.jpg

The Biquinho haven't produced as I hoped, but the light space is rather cramped in the tent, and that is probably a factor.

IMG-0427.jpg

I harvest peppers daily from this weirdo. I call it a weirdo due to its grow pattern witch is all over the place. But its the pepper im mostly enjoying at the time so weird is good  ;)

IMG-0428.jpg

The Stripey have been a slow producer so far, I estimate around 7-10 pods on the plant so far, but hopefully it will pick up soon. 

IMG-0429.jpg

The Poblano, have lots of pods but still not a single ripe pepper.. Patience is key it seems.. 

IMG-0419.jpg

Lastly a picture before I started to dehydrate my peppers. The dutch chille works great as dried as well. 

I wish everyone a better 2021! 

Really rollin’ along there, MF. Glad to see all
those pods coming out for you.

The little kitty is adorable. What’s not to love?

CaneDog said:
Hey MF.  Things are looking good.  Your cross is putting out some solid pods.  I'll be interesting to hear how you like the taste of them.

The crates are probably a good call with the new pest.  Hopefully it won't prove too interested in chewing or shredding leaves.
Im really looking forward to them as well, I'll properly be biased when reporting back :D 

PaulG said:
Really rollin’ along there, MF. Glad to see all
those pods coming out for you.

The little kitty is adorable. What’s not to love?

It is indeed a great time overall, can't wait for more ripe peppers! 

So this season have proven to continue an unfortunate habit of peppers not growing true. 
The second plant this season to grow untrue is unfortunately my murupi amarela. 

IMG-1385.jpg

As you can see there is plenty pods, but the shape and color is off. The plant is clearly chinense, and the smell and taste confirms this. I didn't get a good flavor profile unfortunately because of the heat way above what I remember murupi feels like. I have a hard time guessing scovilles above habanero, but this was way above that, or at least it felt that way. Any guess to what im growing here? I tried mailing to the vendor about what it could be, http://thehippyseedcompany.com but they haven't returned yet

IMG-1348.jpg

This should have been a heatless variety called pepperoncini. I can confirm its not heatless, but I guess around a mild jalapeño in terms of heat. The taste would I describe as fresh like a bell pepper but more profound. I like it, and this will definitely be a pepper for a more mild hot sauce this year! 

Also, in less than a month I have to travel to Mexico  :party:  Any recommendations on what pepper seeds to steal back home? 

Mildfruit said:

Also, in less than a month I have to travel to Mexico  :party:  Any recommendations on what pepper seeds to steal back home? 

Depends on your destination. Every hamlet has its own varieties...

Seed packs are often available in supermarkets, but you'll notice that they are often imported from the USA - commercial seeds of jalapeño, serrano, habanero indeed come from there...

In my experience, you're best shot is to look for local markets and check the fresh produce. You see a chile you don't recognize? Go ahead... Cómo se llama este chile (What's the name of this chile?). You could ask whether it's a hot chile (pica?), but if you have a güerro face (if you're a "white boy", that is) they might answer you muy picoso whatever the spiciness might be... to cover their 4ss :)

Depends on your destination. Every hamlet has its own varieties...

Seed packs are often available in supermarkets, but you'll notice that they are often imported from the USA - commercial seeds of jalapeño, serrano, habanero indeed come from there...

In my experience, you're best shot is to look for local markets and check the fresh produce. You see a chile you don't recognize? Go ahead... Cómo se llama este chile (What's the name of this chile?). You could ask whether it's a hot chile (pica?), but if you have a güerro face (if you're a "white boy", that is) they might answer you muy picoso whatever the spiciness might be... to cover their 4ss :)
Haha thanks for the very honest advice :D I'll definitely try to taste some local peppers and hopefully find some to grow next season!

IMG_1450.jpeg

IMG_1451.jpeg

Review of my first cross!
Beware of a very biased review.
This was the first ripe pepper from my cross. The smell is nothing special, much like any C. annuum would be. The taste is first extremely sweet, much like a snack pepper, then fruity and then a little heat enters. I would guess around 5k Scoville, I could eat all of it raw so obviously not that hot.

Conclusion:
I like it! The plant haven't been producing that many pods, they are also rather big. Cant wait to see F2 next season

Last update before I travel to Mexico!
Of course the last day my first pod from my Orange locoto starts to ripen..
IMG_1454.jpeg

I have big hopes for this one, can't wait to get home and start a big fermentation!

Oh and speaking of fermentation.
IMG_1455.jpeg

My mystery orange/yellow chinense, that was supposed to be a murupi to the left (or top in this photo) and my other mystery pod that was supposed to be a heatless pepper. Also one pod of my cross F1.

IMG_1456.jpeg

After being cut up and adding 3% salt the mash have been vacuum packed. Then in 2-3 weeks time I'll be ready to make the first batch of sauce!

Have a good (and safe) trip MF. I definitely agree with ahayastani - hit the markets. No telling what hidden gems you might find!

Hey MF. Glad the cross is a winner in the F1. Have a great trip to Mexico. I'm looking forward to hearing about what you bring back with you.
Thanks Mr. Dog! Unfortunately I didn't bring any seeds back, I regrettable didn't go to any markets :( I did have a lot of spicy food though, so got some inspiration for future dishes!
Have a good (and safe) trip MF. I definitely agree with ahayastani - hit the markets. No telling what hidden gems you might find!
Grr. I wish I went to a market! I have to resort to either a vendor or some seed trading with someone instead.

The first thing I did after I came back (besides sleeping due to jetlag) was to taste my Orange locoto!
I had high hopes for this, as it was the only plant to grow true this year.
IMG_0085.jpeg

First pod is not the biggest, there is some bigger on the plant, but a fair estimate for how big the pods are.
IMG_0086.jpeg

IMG_0087.jpeg

IMG_0088.jpeg

The pods are extremely juicy, to the point where when I cut the slice seen in the last picture some juice flew out and hit my chin. Never tried that before on a pepper.
The smell is not so noticeable, it does smell like a pepper, but not overly fruity.
The taste is also hard to describe. I had hoped this would be very fruity, but instead a pleasent taste quickly overpowered by the heat. I've only tasted two pubescens peppers in my life, this and last years red Costa Rica. But this is miles ahead in heat, wow! Probably because of all the juice.

The lack of fruitiness in taste I think I can make up for with pineapple or mango in a hot sauce. Certainly a recommendable pepper!

This years glog is nearing its natural end. The weather in Denmark is starting to get a bit chilly, the plants are still producing, but slower.

IMG_0011.jpeg

This is my messy overview of the hot sauce in the making!
IMG_0012.jpeg

A bowl of summer. I honestly underestimated how hot this pepper was, I had to dilute it with Mexican honey by a lot to be able to taste anything, definitely the hottest pubescence I've grown myself.
IMG_0013.jpeg

The end result :) The yellow sauce is from the picture above with the yellow pepper, a sauce made with mango and honey. Next time I'll use more mango as the taste could have used a more fruity flavor, but still nice!

The red one is made from my cross and mystery pepper, both 3/10 in heat around a jalapeño I guess. This was also my first successful fermentation and wow, what a taste the fermentation is supplying! I have to do this a lot more in the future!

IMG_1450.jpeg

The last picture is a repost of my F1 cross. Cant wait to see what the F2 brings next season.
Overall a great season, although the amount of plants was small. First time using no hydroponics and dirt! My electric bill is definitely in favor of keeping it that way :)

Speaking of next season. I just bought a house with plenty of space for a greenhouse :D Its been a dream for many years to have a greenhouse, so now I just have to find one that my gf deem pretty enough to have in the garden, but that's a small compromise :)

Cant wait for next season!

Congrats on the purchase of your new digs, @Mildfruit.
Have fun getting your greenhouse up and running!

Nice work saucing up those rocotos! Both of sauces
look great, and will make the chilly Danish weather
nice and warm.

Speaking of next season. I just bought a house with plenty of space for a greenhouse :D Its been a dream for many years to have a greenhouse, so now I just have to find one that my gf deem pretty enough to have in the garden, but that's a small compromise :)

Cant wait for next season!
Good luck with the greenhouse & next season. I'd love to have space for a decent sized one too but alas not at the moment.

Back