• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Mildfruits 2020 hydroponic

Hi all! 

This is my second grow blog. You can find the first one here
I bought a lot of new equipment enough to warrant a new grow blog. 
Quick intro: Due to lack of outdoor growing space I've had to get creative with indoor growing without soil. 

I grow mainly with grodan blocks with automatic watering, from a nutrient tank using masterblend. 

Things that have changed from my last glog: 
I have bought another tent and light. 
I have started growing tomatoes indoor. 
New seeds! 
Also not mentioned in my last glog, but my lights and fans are controlled by a device called Shelly. Useful in everyday home automation, controllable from your phone with timers and monitoring. 

Lets get started with some pictures! 
IMG-5429.jpg

Heres my new tomato light a quantum board from HLG called 100V2. A little brother to my pepper light (quantum board HLG 260W)
IMG-5459.jpg

And here's my tomato tent with the light installed. 
IMG-5460.jpg

Heres my two tomatoes, Sugar lump and Muddy waters. Both are indeterminate, meaning they grow forever, so pruning will be necessary.

And now to the interesting part! 
A quick before and after of my pepper tent: 
IMG-5333.jpg

IMG-5461.jpg

Seeds: 
This year I have been so lucky to receive some wilds from CaneDog! Lots of cool varieties, more than I can grow unfortunately, but maybe some day! 

I also participated in a european seed exchange witch included some seeds from the US, so I also got seeds from Yekanfam Farms also a THP member. 

Seeds started: 
De Arbol (Fatalliseeds)
Aci Dolma (CaneDog)
Tepin Cappuccino (CaneDog)
C. Flexuosum (CaneDog)
Aji Amarillo (Fatalliseeds) 
Pimientos De Gernika (Fatalliseeds)
Rocoto Costa Rica (Fatalliseeds)
Rocoto San Pedro, Orange (Fatalliseeds)
Lemon Starrburst (Yekanfam Farms)
C. Galapagoense

This years theme is challenge. Previously I failed growing Aji Amarillo and C. pubescens varieties, this year I hope to change that! 
My list needs to be cut down to 6 so this is not my final list. 

I wish everyone a happy grow in 2020! 

Sounds like big plans for the new year. Won't be long till that tomato tent is so full you can't close the zipper. I don't know how you are gonna decide on varieties to grow ( still don't know what ones will make the cut here). Best of luck growing out the Aji and pubes this year.

Great to see your 2020 grow underway and with more space, MF!   I have that "little brother" HLG100, however they released the v2 within literally a day or two of my getting the v1.  :(   Oh well, I'll try to convince myself there's no real difference.  :)   It took me a bit to get used to it as it was my first LED, but now that I know how to use it I really like it.  Having both it and the big brother should give you improved flexibility.

I'll be working on a procedure for Grodan cubes again this year, so I'm sure to be paying extra attention to how you're using them.  Given the strong results you've had previously, I'm hoping I can emulate to some degree.

Anyhow, things look great - and your tents and gear are so darn clean it makes me feel a bit embarrassed to post mine! 

Hope you have a fantastic year!  I'm pulling up a chair.

Welcome to the 2020 grow season, MF!

Really liking your infrastructure upgrades.
Nothing like kicking it up a notch!

Looking forward to some more great Grodan
plants in your grow log this season, my friend!
Have fun trying to pare down that list! You
know they are all going to germinate!

Nice looking plants. Good luck with your grow.

Is that a Bell Pepper I see in your tent? I tried growing Bell Peppers indoors in Dutch Buckets about 3 years ago. The plants got huge and produced many peppers. Only downside is they were little and not nearly as big as the one I see in your picture. I'd like to try them again some day, but I'd like to see how somebody else grows them because for the life of me, I've never been able to get them to grow big.

Mr.joe said:
Sounds like big plans for the new year. Won't be long till that tomato tent is so full you can't close the zipper. I don't know how you are gonna decide on varieties to grow ( still don't know what ones will make the cut here). Best of luck growing out the Aji and pubes this year.

Thanks! Yea im always baffled by how fast tomatoes grow, one of my plants are already being repotted (or regrodan'ed?). I still don't know either! I was wishing some wasn't germinating so the choice would be made for me.. 

Inoks said:
Will follow with intrest. I grow in a tent too, althou I have a small balcony for summer.(Finnish summer though..) Also keeeping a glog
Good luck

Great! I feel you, us in the nordic countries cant always depend on the sun. Also tents make the growing season endless :)

CaneDog said:
Great to see your 2020 grow underway and with more space, MF!   I have that "little brother" HLG100, however they released the v2 within literally a day or two of my getting the v1.  :(   Oh well, I'll try to convince myself there's no real difference.  :)   It took me a bit to get used to it as it was my first LED, but now that I know how to use it I really like it.  Having both it and the big brother should give you improved flexibility.

I'll be working on a procedure for Grodan cubes again this year, so I'm sure to be paying extra attention to how you're using them.  Given the strong results you've had previously, I'm hoping I can emulate to some degree.

Anyhow, things look great - and your tents and gear are so darn clean it makes me feel a bit embarrassed to post mine! 

Hope you have a fantastic year!  I'm pulling up a chair.

Oh bad luck indeed! I have no idea what the difference is between V1 and V2, but in real life I guess the difference is abysmal. Oh awesome, you had great success with them last time, so I expect no less this year ;) You will be able to compare some of your seeds in my glog and your own this year, should be interesting :)! Thanks CaneDog, best of luck to you also!

PaulG said:
Welcome to the 2020 grow season, MF!

Really liking your infrastructure upgrades.
Nothing like kicking it up a notch!

Looking forward to some more great Grodan
plants in your grow log this season, my friend!
Have fun trying to pare down that list! You
know they are all going to germinate!

Thanks a lot Paul! Im afraid you are correct! Most have germinated, only 2 are still waiting a bit. We should do a seed swap next year, would love to see some of your great plants have a go indoor  :P  Best of luck to you also, I can see its already looking really good in your glog!

HeatMiser said:
Nice looking plants. Good luck with your grow.

Is that a Bell Pepper I see in your tent? I tried growing Bell Peppers indoors in Dutch Buckets about 3 years ago. The plants got huge and produced many peppers. Only downside is they were little and not nearly as big as the one I see in your picture. I'd like to try them again some day, but I'd like to see how somebody else grows them because for the life of me, I've never been able to get them to grow big.

Thanks HeatMiser! 
Hmm I didn't grow bell peppers last year, but I grew Aji Fantasy and Pimentos de Pardon both got quite large and could look somewhat like a bell pepper from my photo :) I had the same problem with jalapeños, been growing them 3 times and I always end up with tons of too small peppers. Hopefully one of us will crack the code. This year im growing the Antep Aci Dolma I got from CaneDog. A pepper resembling a bell pepper with some spice included, hopefully they will grow big - only time will tell, and if they don't I can always blame CaneDog  ;)

Mildfruit said:
Thanks a lot Paul! Im afraid you are correct! Most have germinated, only 2 are still waiting a bit. We should do a seed swap next year, would love to see some of your great plants have a go indoor  :P  Best of luck to you also, I can see its already looking really good in your glog!

Thanks, Rasmus. I am definitely up for
some trades whenever you are ready!

I hope those three remaining wilds get
it in gear for you. those are all great
varieties!

Irrigation update!

IMG-5502.jpg

The tomato plant is growing like a weed, starting to take over the tent. Actually wondering if two tomato plants is too much in this tent.. :confused:

IMG-5500.jpg

Second time in my life having a tripod  :party: This was on my Galapagoense.
Still waiting for:
C. Flexuosum
Tepin Cappuccino 

Mildfruit said:
The tomato plant is growing like a weed, starting to take over the tent. Actually wondering if two tomato plants is too much in this tent.. :confused:

Second time in my life having a tripod  :party: This was on my Galapagoense.

Still waiting for:
C. Flexuosum
Tepin Cappuccino 

You may have to make another arrangement for
that big tomato, buddy! You are a victim of your
own success  ;)

Also, glad to see the galapagoense came up for you.
Good vibes for the last two on your list coming your way!

+1 - it's great to see your Galapagoense come up, and in impressive tripod fashion.

FYI - Those flexuosum had a median time of 31 days to germinate for me last year, with 3/6 popping on the 31st day. None came up very early.  The cappuccino tepin were fairly quick for me last year, but from what I'm hearing they're slower for whatever reason this time around.

Looking forward to the Primo!

PaulG said:

You may have to make another arrangement for
that big tomato, buddy! You are a victim of your
own success  ;)

Also, glad to see the galapagoense came up for you.
Good vibes for the last two on your list coming your way!

I've been saying that all day after I read it, my gf is getting tied of it  ;)

CaneDog said:
+1 - it's great to see your Galapagoense come up, and in impressive tripod fashion.

FYI - Those flexuosum had a median time of 31 days to germinate for me last year, with 3/6 popping on the 31st day. None came up very early.  The cappuccino tepin were fairly quick for me last year, but from what I'm hearing they're slower for whatever reason this time around.

Looking forward to the Primo!

Oh boy! But nice to know, good we have the patience in this hobby ;)

If I do end up with a plant from it, im going to see just how tough the flexuosum is, regarding its "anti"-freeze properties. With global warming and all, it should be able to handle the Danish winter  :P

Today I moved the peppers into their pepper tent, and left the tomato plant alone in the tomato tent :)

IMG-5529.jpg

I've come to realize that 2 tomato plants was a bit much for my tent. The speed of tomato plants always surprises me. 
IMG-5530.jpg

Hopefully fruit will soon follow  :P

IMG-5531.jpg

IMG-5534.jpg

The first two plants im sure im going to keep have been replanted into bigger cubes. The Aji Amarillo from fataliiseeds, and Antep Aci dolma from CaneDog. The rest are still being debated daily inside my head  :confused:
The candidates are: 

De Arbol (Fatalliseeds)
Pimientos De Gernika (Fatalliseeds)
Rocoto Costa Rica (Fatalliseeds)
Rocoto San Pedro, Orange (Fatalliseeds)
Lemon Starrburst (Yekanfam Farms)
C. Galapagoense
7 Pot Primo (primopeppers)
------------------------------------------------------------
Peppers still not germinated:
Tepin Cappuccino (CaneDog)
C. Flexuosum (CaneDog)

IMG-5535.jpg

Heres my 7 pot primo starting to sprout  :P
EDIT*
Heres some additional shots of the peppers:
IMG-5536.jpg

IMG-5537.jpg

Rocoto Costa Rica on the left, and lemon starburst on the right.
IMG-5538.jpg

Slow start on the Galaoagoense, hope it wakes up under the new light. 
IMG-5539.jpg

Rocoto San Pedro, Orange 

Glad to see things coming along, MF.  That tomato is getting to be a beast!  Good reminder to me to not start mine too early if I want to preserve any tent space.  And your san pedro orange rocoto is looking great!  I'm growing the that one too - for the first time this season.  I've heard good things about it.

Odd about the cappuccino tepin.  Last season they sprouted quite quickly, but that doesn't seem to be been the case this season.  I should probably run a test germ and see if there's an issue with the batch.

Pepper tent is looking good, Rasmus! 
Starts are nice and healthy!

Good luck deciding which peppers will
make the cut. Those are all great varieties.
Guess it depends on what you want in the
end- heat, larger pods, or just interesting plants.

Tybo said:
I also started the Tepin Cappuccino and the Flexuosum (purple pheno) but haven't had any luck with the tepin.  I did get on of the Flexuosum's to germinate finally.
Good luck with yours!

Congrats! How long did the flex take for you? My seeds are also the purple pheno :)

CaneDog said:
Glad to see things coming along, MF.  That tomato is getting to be a beast!  Good reminder to me to not start mine too early if I want to preserve any tent space.  And your san pedro orange rocoto is looking great!  I'm growing the that one too - for the first time this season.  I've heard good things about it.

Odd about the cappuccino tepin.  Last season they sprouted quite quickly, but that doesn't seem to be been the case this season.  I should probably run a test germ and see if there's an issue with the batch.

Thats awesome more plants I can compare to see how they are supposed to look :P  Let me know what you find out, maybe the fault is at me. But yea those tomatoes grow like weeds, the second cluster of flowers have started to open up on mine now  :party:

PaulG said:
Pepper tent is looking good, Rasmus! 
Starts are nice and healthy!

Good luck deciding which peppers will
make the cut. Those are all great varieties.
Guess it depends on what you want in the
end- heat, larger pods, or just interesting plants.
Thanks Paul!
Well Paul, that a good advice and all, but what if I want all those things?  ;)  Haha some day in the near future I'll have to make some hard choices. I feel settled one day, and the next day I start a few more seeds  :confused:

Maybe some wilds enthusiast can help me out here: 
I've been unsure whether the c. galapagoense was true or not, but the pepper is growing in a way I have never seen before. Maybe some can help me out? 

Take a look at these two pictures: 
IMG-5550.jpg

IMG-5551.jpg

Im talking about the new leaf grow on the lower right side near the cotyledon. Is this typical for a galapagoense? 

Also heres a bonus picture of my Lemon Starrburst
IMG-5552.jpg

*Ignore this post, I couldnt post my pictures due too size I guess. The next post however it worked.
----> Next page for pictures  :P

Back