• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Miracle Fruit

Miracle fruit screws up your taste buds temporarily to make bitter foods taste sweet.

Quick story...

3 years ago I asked for a miracle fruit tree for xmas. Nothing happened.
So the next year I asked for another one (I got 2...making 3 total).

Still no fruit.

Well, I didn't read that it takes these things 2-3 years to start producing fruit.
So I was excited a few weeks ago to see my first fruit appear.
Now a few of them are ripe.

Miracle fruit is amazing. It has the magical power to take anything tart, and make it amazingly sweet. You eat a little berry, swish it around in your mouth for a minute.
It messes with your taste receptors and makes all bitter flavors seem like they are coated in sugar. The effect lasts from 30 minutes to 2 hours.
Also called "flavor tripping".

Just did my first homegrown berry. Here's what I ate:
A whole lemon
A whole lime
Dill pickle juice
4 kinds of hot sauce
Busch Light
Tequila

Then I stopped because I'm afraid I'll get a stomach ache if I go much more.

The lemon and lime were AMAZING!!! Tasted just like if you took a wedge and dipped it in sugar and then bit in. Awesome!!!
Dill pickle juice tasted like sweet bread and butter pickle juice.
The hot sauce tasted like sweet heat. Sweet and tangy and spicy.
Busch light, the nectar of the gods, was absolutely disgusting and tasted like diet sprite. Normally I love the stuff, and I know it doesn't need any bad publicity, but miracle fruit doesn't do it any favors.
Tequila was great, but different. Imagine tequila if it was a sweet liquor. Kinda weird.

Look into Miracle Fruit. It blew my mind. This is only my first try, but there are a bunch more fruits about to ripen. I'll put up some pics next time.
If you can get ahold of some, I highly recommend it.
I saved the seeds, but at 25% germination rate and a 3 year waiting period for fruit, it's better to get a mature plant.

Good times!

FD

Congrats on your first fruits!
(Okay, not technically YOUR first fruits, but you know what I mean!)

Busch light, the nectar of the gods, was absolutely disgusting and tasted like diet sprite. Normally I love the stuff, and I know it doesn't need any bad publicity, but miracle fruit doesn't do it any favors.

hahaha - Why am I not surprised by this???

Looking at getting one of these plants myself, anyone got a plant they dont want anymore that they can send to australia?
I will pay of course...

So interested in trying these fruits, sounds like great fun!

I'm sorry, it made Busch Light taste like shit. It made Tequila taste "weird" (then you stopped). 25% germination rate?
C'mon FryDad! I can make limes taste great w. Tequila. Pickle juice= 1 to 1 w. Vodka (pickle shots!)
Sweet heat.. well that's between me and CJ......

OK... I will PAY$$$$$$ for 2 year old starts (more if I could) ((25%)) I gotta have some of this Miracle Fruit Tree!

P.S What does it make Top Rammen taste like?

A little ribbing, a touch of Jarrd and a whole lotta love FD4! XOXOX!

Those are an interesting fruit, to be sure.

The first time i ever heard of flavor tripping was on a episode of CSI New York a while back.

dvg

Oh I would love to find a mature plant. I could finally make a manure sauce for some people at work who deserve to eat it and like it. :rofl:

Looking at getting one of these plants myself, anyone got a plant they dont want anymore that they can send to australia?
I will pay of course...

So interested in trying these fruits, sounds like great fun!

It would be much cheaper and easier to buy a Miracle Fruit tree from a local store such as Bunnings. There's the odd supplier about that sells them online too such as Daleys Fruit.

I’ve heard of this fruit, but was unaware of its effects. How well does it perform in a grow zone 4 and survives the winters, would I have to bring it in? Its sounds pretty amazing!!

Fun Dip.

I think it grows best in tropical regions, like where I live. I think it can survive a mild winter, but I grow my stuff in pots so I can move it around (or inside in case of a hurricane).

I STRONGLY recommend getting an established plant. Preferably one that has already produced fruit. Rather than starting from seed. It is a slow grower. I'll bet it would take years to get anything off it.

Fun Dip.

I think it grows best in tropical regions, like where I live. I think it can survive a mild winter, but I grow my stuff in pots so I can move it around (or inside in case of a hurricane).

I STRONGLY recommend getting an established plant. Preferably one that has already produced fruit. Rather than starting from seed. It is a slow grower. I'll bet it would take years to get anything off it.

So you're saying go for the cougar plant?

Update: I think the magic is in the skin, but I have not confirmed this. Gave a berry to my old man. He tried to split it with my sister. So he cut off the skin and ate it. Gave her the seed with the pulp on it. He got the effect. She didn't and swore we were playing a trick on her.

As my pops ate a whole lime and a few tablespoons of vinegar based hot sauce right off the spoon.

I wonder if it could be incorporated into a sauce. It really is a cool thing. You can order berries off the internet. Frozen whole berries, or freeze dried tablets. I've only had homegrown, so I don't know what works best.

Of my 3 shrubs, the shortest one is the only one that has produced so far.

IMGP2162.jpg

IMGP2163.jpg

FD

I'm sorry, it made Busch Light taste like shit. It made Tequila taste "weird" (then you stopped). 25% germination rate?
C'mon FryDad! I can make limes taste great w. Tequila. Pickle juice= 1 to 1 w. Vodka (pickle shots!)
Sweet heat.. well that's between me and CJ......

OK... I will PAY$$$$$$ for 2 year old starts (more if I could) ((25%)) I gotta have some of this Miracle Fruit Tree!

A little ribbing, a touch of Jarrd and a whole lotta love FD4! XOXOX!

And here I was thinking I was the only weird person who mixes pickle juice straight up with booze. You should see the looks my wife gives me when I'm sipping gin with a splash of pickle juice.

While not as exciting as picking your own, several companies make tablets out of Miracle Fruit. Might be an option for those wishing to try it. I've tried both fresh and dried tablet form, and they both work. mBerry is one brand. Search for it.

It would be much cheaper and easier to buy a Miracle Fruit tree from a local store such as Bunnings. There's the odd supplier about that sells them online too such as Daleys Fruit.

Harry,
i go to bunnings quite a lot and i have never seen a mircle fruit plant there :(
Will look harder next time i go there though...

Back