• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Miracle Gro

Is this stuff good, bad or ok depending on what's being grown? I've heard positive stories as well as horror stories about it! I'm sitting on a $100 gift card at "the Depot" and plan on getting full use of it to start this growing season..

Is this stuff good, bad or ok depending on what's being grown? I've heard positive stories as well as horror stories about it! I'm sitting on a $100 gift card at "the Depot" and plan on getting full use of it to start this growing season..

The fertillizer?? That's the bottom of the fert ladder for me. Compared to even the cheapest fertillizers, it's terrible! At least, not good for an entire grow.

The potting soil also sucks. They have ProMix at the Home Depots around here which is much better. That's what I've been using with a little perlite added.

A good general ferilizer, many people use it and get good results.

You can spend lots of money on specialty fertilizers, and may or may not get better results.

Just my experience

find what works for you. last year I grew in leaf compost and then a weekly spray with the miracle grow sprayer. I only sprayed for half the recommended time and only until the first flowers showed.

ProMix was recommended to me but I don't believe our Home Depots carry it - I looked online and didn't see it..

I've got some 7-pot Jonah seeds that I hate the thought of "experimenting" with! Wonder if I should hold off on those for another month and see how my red habs turn out first? If they do fine, just replicate the process with the Jonahs....?

Try for the peat moss that is made from the same company that makes Promix they are called premier horticulture that some home depot sell or Coco coir if available.

The fertillizer?? That's the bottom of the fert ladder for me. Compared to even the cheapest fertillizers, it's terrible! At least, not good for an entire grow.
A good general ferilizer, many people use it and get good results.

You can spend lots of money on specialty fertilizers, and may or may not get better results.

Just my experience
It would help if the specifics of the fertiliser that you both are commented was mentioned. I've seen a number of fertiliser products marketed under the Miracle Gro brand. The couple of fertilisers that I tried were an All Purpose MaxFeed with an NPK of 15:13:12 (w/o any Calcium and Magnesium) and a Tomato and Vegetable Soluble Fertiliser with an NPK of 20:2.2:9.0 (w/ 5% Calcium). I would have preferred something with less Nitrogen content but at the time there wasn't much else available.

It would help if the specifics of the fertiliser that you both are commented was mentioned. I've seen a number of fertiliser products marketed under the Miracle Gro brand. The couple of fertilisers that I tried were an All Purpose MaxFeed with an NPK of 15:13:12 (w/o any Calcium and Magnesium) and a Tomato and Vegetable Soluble Fertiliser with an NPK of 20:2.2:9.0 (w/ 5% Calcium). I would have preferred something with less Nitrogen content but at the time there wasn't much else available.

I was not talking about a specific type of Miracle Gro, hence the statement "good general fertilizer".

I will have to chime in and say, you must be careful with any fertilizer you use when it comes to growing success or failure. It can harm just as much help. Good topic of discussion though. I'm sure someone on THP has done a side by side comparison before lol. Lets keep this subject going and get some knowledge rolling around in here. "Alabama! Where you at!" :hell:

Bear in mind that this is really my very first growing season, so I don't need any super high tech stuff to thoroughly confuse me! :(

Potting soil? Maybe with a compost mix?

i mixed up some MG potting soil mixed with perlite and some stuff they called black soil. Used it to sprout some seeds, they seem to be doing fine. These are my first steps in growing. But id say give it a shot. Just get a small bag. Try it out. worst case you got some potting soil to spread around a little flower garden.
since i have been using the same stuff in different mixture rates to try grow stuff that was germinated with jiffy pellets. See how it goes i guess.
But like i said above. get a small amount. give it a shot.

Miracle Grow is definitely one of those ya love em or hate em companies. I've never used any of their soil so I don't have an opinion there.. As for there fertilizer? I think it's a matter of not knowing how to use it IMO.. I must say, I've never killed a plant, or seen bad results.. I used a combo of fish fert and miracle grow bloom booster ( half strength ) in years past with great results with hot peppers. I've also used Tiger Bloom with the same results (which is much more expensive) Problem is.. people don't realize that with miracle grow they already have over the top strong doses so with peppers you want to cut them in half, atleast, everytime. For instance.. use their stuff at full strength on flowers/herbs/zucchini/beans/pumpkins/shrubs.. you get the picture.. You'll have plants/flowers that no others can match.. But these plants/flowers, They can take a heavy dose of fert and respond perfectly. Peppers, especially hot ones, will respond horribly to a heavy dose of fertilizer. So as long as you cut it, You'll be okay. I know it's not the best fert out there for a long shot, but its affordable compared to most, it works, you just have to know what to use it on and at how much strength. I mean come on.. if their ferts were really sh**.. Do you think you'd see them stacked on every nursery, super market, garden center, and hardware stores shelves? There's a reason for that :)

Brandon

Miracle Grow is definitely one of those ya love em or hate em companies. I've never used any of their soil so I don't have an opinion there.. As for there fertilizer? I think it's a matter of not knowing how to use it IMO.. I must say, I've never killed a plant, or seen bad results.. I used a combo of fish fert and miracle grow bloom booster ( half strength ) in years past with great results with hot peppers. I've also used Tiger Bloom with the same results (which is much more expensive) Problem is.. people don't realize that with miracle grow they already have over the top strong doses so with peppers you want to cut them in half, atleast, everytime. For instance.. use their stuff at full strength on flowers/herbs/zucchini/beans/pumpkins/shrubs.. you get the picture.. You'll have plants/flowers that no others can match.. But these plants/flowers, They can take a heavy dose of fert and respond perfectly. Peppers, especially hot ones, will respond horribly to a heavy dose of fertilizer. So as long as you cut it, You'll be okay. I know it's not the best fert out there for a long shot, but its affordable compared to most, it works, you just have to know what to use it on and at how much strength. I mean come on.. if their ferts were really sh**.. Do you think you'd see them stacked on every nursery, super market, garden center, and hardware stores shelves? There's a reason for that :)

Brandon

Well said Brandon!

Back