• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Miracle Grow is not bad

Do you use the method the OP mentioned to sterilize it? I ask because I've never sterilized soil before because I'm new to growing (< 2 yrs).

I have tried it before. The only issue I've found is you really need to spread it out after pouring the water on it so that it can dry properly. And let me tell you, this can become cumbersome depending on how much you need to prepare. If not dried properly, the combinaton of heat and moisture makes the remaining concoction very susceptable to a fuzzy and uncitely mold. That said, my method of choice is baking it for 30 - 45 minutes at about 200 deg. You got to be careful though Im told, cause if you get the soil past a certain temp, it can actually release toxins or something like that.

Wow! So far, I've done OK. I would've thought that store-bought soil would be free of any pests/fungi. But yeah, as was mentioned before, they sometimes store it in bad places on their premises.

Dot Com: just a note, if your 8-7-6 is the houseplant fertilizer (small bottle with bubble dropper) that's a highly concentrated solution used primarily for feeding established house plants and tropicals, just be careful with smaller pepper plants, I would reccomend using a 1/4 strength of the suggested amount and to avoid foliar spraying which can burn the tender new growth. When using chemicals on your plants less = more in the long run......good luck with your plants

Dot Com: just a note, if your 8-7-6 is the houseplant fertilizer (small bottle with bubble dropper) that's a highly concentrated solution used primarily for feeding established house plants and tropicals, just be careful with smaller pepper plants, I would reccomend using a 1/4 strength of the suggested amount and to avoid foliar spraying which can burn the tender new growth. When using chemicals on your plants less = more in the long run......good luck with your plants
Thanks. I'll do that. I did notice that many here are using a higher # ratio for peppers. I picked it up because a couple of my peppers are lacking something & I've reused soil after other plants have grown in it w/o adding any nutes.

The difference between the plants I have potted in Pro-mix vs. MG is remarkable. I can add some pictures if anyone is interested.

I would like to see those pics. I am not a big fan of MG; it's overly priced, but is seems like it is everywhere. I have tried to find pro-mix in my area but no luck so far.

That said, my method of choice is baking it for 30 - 45 minutes at about 200 deg. You got to be careful though Im told, cause if you get the soil past a certain temp, it can actually release toxins or something like that.
Past 180-190f is when is when potting soil becomes toxic, you cut it close at 200f imho. At least that's what i've read in some online publications.

Next time i'd advise something closer down to 170-180f (?) You can also turn the soil a little bit after 20 minutes so it heats the middle more thoroughly.

I don't like it, I like to feed my plants how, when & with what I want too. MG soil doesn't really give you that option since it already contains fert. I prefer to use Fish Emulsion and Kelp for ferts and I only use one type of soil and in my opinion it's the best there is. http://www.lowes.com/pd_134672-1321-00051524606667_?PL=1&productId=3082893 Nice black rich soil, very clean stuff. It's a little pricey but well worth the money.

Just my opinion.

Yes, you can amend MG and make it "usable" but you will be much happier if you drop the chemicals and get growing organic. Even "organic" MG isn't organic. No product made by MG goes out the door without them adding their "proprietary miracle grow blend" of chemicals. None. This I know. There are plenty of companies out there that offer the main ingredients to a great soil at your local nurseries. Peat, verm, perlite, and other organic materials. Its so easy and a lot cheaper to mix your own soil.
Blah... organic my ass. Sorry, but that word just reeks of bullshit. And ironically, there is an episode of Penn & Teller's Bullshit on just that topic... organic farming/gardening. And drop the chemicals? Like what? H2O? Seriously, come on now... I hear that "chemicals" crap all the time; is good old-fashioned water not a chemical these days or something?

The only thing I can agree with you on is that Miracle-Gro's 'Organic Choice' potting mix sucks ass. Organic, synthetic, whatever... it's outright horrible.

Dangerous chemicals... yeah, bad. Safer chemicals... does it even matter?

+1 Guru
Its hard to believe anything that Penn and Teller say, they are continuously trying to prove their own side of the story while ignoring all the relevant facts.
Personally I prefer to feed and improve my soil and the whole garden ecosystem responsibly rather than ruin it with chemical nutes and continuous applications of nutrient salts. Personally I see MG fertilizers as more of a treat than a constant source of fertilizer.

Past 180-190f is when is when potting soil becomes toxic, you cut it close at 200f imho. At least that's what i've read in some online publications.

Next time i'd advise something closer down to 170-180f (?) You can also turn the soil a little bit after 20 minutes so it heats the middle more thoroughly.

Thanks for the actual temps Jet. My stove goes from "warm" to "200" as the first setting. I havne't gotten complete sterilization with anything below 200. This may be a variance within my oven, but it's still good to know the exact numbers.

Thanks

Blah... organic my ass. Sorry, but that word just reeks of bullshit. And ironically, there is an episode of Penn & Teller's Bullshit on just that topic... organic farming/gardening. And drop the chemicals? Like what? H2O? Seriously, come on now... I hear that "chemicals" crap all the time; is good old-fashioned water not a chemical these days or something?

The only thing I can agree with you on is that Miracle-Gro's 'Organic Choice' potting mix sucks ass. Organic, synthetic, whatever... it's outright horrible.

Dangerous chemicals... yeah, bad. Safer chemicals... does it even matter?
Dude, your attitude is sad. Lets NOT get into semantics. You know exactly what I mean. H20 is a chemical compound, correct. Very good, you get an A+ for the day's lesson in chemistry 101! :clap: If you're using synthetically derived fertilizers for your gardening, then don't be upset when your garden fails in comparison to mine or any other organic grower. ;) Organic gardening is the ONLY true way to give back to mother earth. I will enlighten you, I promise. :D

:rofl: Best post EVER!
lol

+1 Guru
Its hard to believe anything that Penn and Teller say, they are continuously trying to prove their own side of the story while ignoring all the relevant facts.
Personally I prefer to feed and improve my soil and the whole garden ecosystem responsibly rather than ruin it with chemical nutes and continuous applications of nutrient salts. Personally I see MG fertilizers as more of a treat than a constant source of fertilizer.
Penn and Teller are Zelda's gardening gurus apparently! now THAT IS something to laugh at Nova...

Thanks for the actual temps Jet. My stove goes from "warm" to "200" as the first setting. I havne't gotten complete sterilization with anything below 200. This may be a variance within my oven, but it's still good to know the exact numbers.

Thanks
yeah, I was going to say, I read you guys pouring boiling water into your soil to sterilize it, and I was going to tell you to just put it in the oven...much easier, more effective and done by any and all growers in the know... :)

UltraZelda64 said:
Blah... organic my ass. Sorry, but that word just reeks of bullshit. And ironically, there is an episode of Penn & Teller's Bullshit on just that topic... organic farming/gardening.
What's ironic about that?

Yeah, what Guru said.

Chemical fertz destroy the soil food web and all of the lovely microbs. The run off also pollutes nearby water sources.

MG is hated for two main reasons; Chemical fertz and part of the commercial juggernaut Mansanto which make their own rules. Mansanto's greedy and could care less about the general public.

Whether the soil or other MG products will grow plants is another story. That's not why they are hated.

Yeah I came across the post via google, I only looked at the date after I posted. Wasn't meaning to drag up any old arguments, just made me laugh, thats all, apologies for that.

I was just being pedantic and wondering what was ironic about the subject being on pen and teller. I love this forum and I really wasn't looking to offend.

armac said:
ironic that the post is almost 2 years old,,,,,ironic and timely
Hmmm Touche Armac Haha, ok maybe I deserved that ; )

fireface said:
I use Miracle grow organic as a base, with a few amendments

I add coir for water retention, and large bark chips or washed stone for increased drainage.

I've never had a problem with aphids that was soil related, but a near-by apple trees' infestation did give me problems last year.

I've been using it 3 seasons now and given my space restrictions it works great for me.

Would probably be cheaper just to blend the ingredients and make your own version though, it runs $10 a bag here
It's funny to see this thread pop up again. In the two years since, I've changed my tune miracle grow wise. After using better soil (promix) for a couple seasons I wouldn't go back to MG.

Back