• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Mixology and Cocktails!

The almighty internet says the end of june through july. But the trees I have seen were jist barely producing in early july. They hust need to be fully grown but still green.

my homemade 'ghetto absinthe' 
e3Lp9mi.jpg

it tastes terrible. 

my homemade 'ghetto absinthe' 
e3Lp9mi.jpg

it tastes terrible. 

Looks like Green Dragon ...

Sounds like it tastes like it, too ...

I wouldn't know ...

the produce market here was selling cases of strawberries for 98 cents... I got 2 cases.  I sliced some up and put it in bourbon and have another batch with tequila.  While those two jars of goodness become closer with each other, I took some sliced berries and lime, mixed it with some gin and a little sugar... topped it off with club soda and a dash of orange bitters. 

12031399_10102098138460829_728572801806501396_o.jpg

THE NOCINO IS READY!  Finally after waiting patiently for 2 months I was able to put the final touches on the nocino I made from the walnuts muskymojo sent!  Its delicious, sweet but still had a killer bite.  I mixed it with the white whiskey from the Chicago Distilling Company, some chocolate bitters, and a bit of lemon rind tonight and its a fantastic sippin' drink to get you all warm inside!

x4AinAs.jpg

I made a Spicy Foghorn, with Bombay Sapphire East (which has added black peppercorns and lemongrass) and Bundaberg Ginger Beer (by far my favorite ginger beer, made in Australia). I infused 2 shots of the gin with some home grown Trinidad Perfumes (seeds from Pepper Lover), and I infused another shot of gin with a small ghost pepper. The recipe is pretty simple - mix the two shots of gin, half ounce of lime juice, and ginger beer to taste (I like a 50-50 ratio). Then add the ghost pepper infused gin to taste - I barely added any because I don't want to melt my face off with my beverages, but just a teaspoon added a great slow burn. The floral flavor of the Trinidad Perfumes meshed well with the juniper and lemongrass in the gin. Yum!

q7uWDSk.jpg

C6h5Q8P.jpg

Personally, I'm more a fan of Old Jamaica Extra Fiery for heat or Knights for flavour and don't really rate Bundaburg ginger beer or root beer at all. Then again, I'm not a fan of chilli in my ginger beer in any regard so what do I know?

It's been a helluva week and I still have to work at a festival tomorrow. I'm not one for St. Patrick's Day but today I obliged with some single malt Irish whiskey and homemade Irish cream. I've had these two bottle of Irish whiskey for years now, but I never really pull them out. Kind of hit the spot today. 
MroEIjK.jpg

Back